Russell Wilson and the 3 year, $45.5 million baseline

rideaducati

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":prjp9q1m said:
Would you all be mad if Wilson agreed to long term contract now to only after a year later asking for a raise? Of course you would. This is why I believe that he's stating his high point now and if he's worth it to the Seahawks they will pay him. Could the FO potentially let him walk in the future, yeah sure. Wilson has leverage now with the latest contract from Tannehill and Cam, he could just wait until Luck gets his and if Wilson is able to get close to the SB again, his market will just keep going up. He's betting on himself and I see no problem with it.

If they want to keep Wilson, there's four players they can get rid of, Okung, Irvin, Kearse, and Mebane after this year. Mebane would be tough to cut but our defense was okay as long as we have Wagner.

From a fan's perspective some would hate it and will say it should be about the team, how truly loyal is an organization if they can cut you anytime when they felt someone younger or cheaper could take your spot? How many great players have we lost in free agency to this same reason?

Wilson has ZERO leverage right now. He is not going to get a raise THIS year and that seems to be the sticking point in negotiations. It isn't going to happen. Schneider hasn't done it for anyone so far and he is smart to not do it this time either. IF he caves, EVERY agent in the future would fight for a raise in the last year of their player's contract.

The Seahawks have all the leverage now. The franchise tag will put him at the average of the top 5 QBs in the league for 2016 IF the Seahawks used the exclusive tag. I think the Seahawks might use the nonexclusive tag on him and let him test the waters and match whatever he and his agent could come up with. Nobody is going to sign Russell for more than $22 million per year.

Russell's agent can write all the pages he wants and he isn't going to change the way the NFL does contracts. Russell's agent is putting his client at risk without a long term contract and zero guaranteed money and will be banking on nothing bad happening for at least two more seasons. Russell isn't going to be able to make up for the lost money from being a third round pick and all the threats in the World aren't going to change that.

Russell should guarantee his future and sign the contract that was offered.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2015":31daxa69 said:
Anthony!":31daxa69 said:
theincrediblesok":31daxa69 said:
Would you all be mad if Wilson agreed to long term contract now to only after a year later asking for a raise? Of course you would. This is why I believe that he's stating his high point now and if he's worth it to the Seahawks they will pay him. Could the FO potentially let him walk in the future, yeah sure. Wilson has leverage now with the latest contract from Tannehill and Cam, he could just wait until Luck gets his and if Wilson is able to get close to the SB again, his market will just keep going up. He's betting on himself and I see no problem with it.

If they want to keep Wilson, there's four players they can get rid of, Okung, Irvin, Kearse, and Mebane after this year. Mebane would be tough to cut but our defense was okay as long as we have Wagner.

From a fan's perspective some would hate it and will say it should be about the team, how truly loyal is an organization if they can cut you anytime when they felt someone younger or cheaper could take your spot? How many great players have we lost in free agency to this same reason?

I think the whole loyalty thing is funny, everyone wants Wilson to be loyal take a cheap deal etc, no one said they when it was Kam, Sherman, or ET. None said it when Lynch held us hostage for more. Noone is saying the FO is not being loyal by not offering a deal close to Cam, Tannanhill, Rothesburger etc. I think loyalty is a catch phrase to help some rationalize a stance when there is nothing else.

$20.8 million per year is a "cheap" deal?

You must also be the type of person who believes Wilson can't afford a car payment.

:34853_doh:

were do you get 20.8 mil a year? Last deal I heard was 4 years 87 mil which is 5 years 88.5 mil which is 17.7 mil and way lower than QBs who are not even close are getting. Also we have no clue how it is structured, even I if we agree 4 years 87 mil is good if only 40 in guaranteed and the bonus is say 10 mil that is a bad deal. It is not just about the numbers it is how it is structured and the last word I heard on that was 40 mil guaranteed and 10 mil bonus, Which is not a good deal when you compare it to Newtons, or Tannanhills.

Anthony!

Reaction score
rideaducati":38wbisi5 said:
theincrediblesok":38wbisi5 said:

Wilson has ZERO leverage right now. He is not going to get a raise THIS year and that seems to be the sticking point in negotiations. It isn't going to happen. Schneider hasn't done it for anyone so far and he is smart to not do it this time either. IF he caves, EVERY agent in the future would fight for a raise in the last year of their player's contract.

The Seahawks have all the leverage now. The franchise tag will put him at the average of the top 5 QBs in the league for 2016 IF the Seahawks used the exclusive tag. I think the Seahawks might use the nonexclusive tag on him and let him test the waters and match whatever he and his agent could come up with. Nobody is going to sign Russell for more than $22 million per year.

Russell's agent can write all the pages he wants and he isn't going to change the way the NFL does contracts. Russell's agent is putting his client at risk without a long term contract and zero guaranteed money and will be banking on nothing bad happening for at least two more seasons. Russell isn't going to be able to make up for the lost money from being a third round pick and all the threats in the World aren't going to change that.

He already did it for Lynch though, so yes they should consider it for Wilson, problem is they did not anticipate doing it for Lynch and were not ready to do it for Wilson. FYI WIlson has plenty of leverage, like not showing up till the season starts, holding out period, There is no way they will use the non exclusive tag it is way to risky and someone will pay him more than 22mil. And no he should not just sign the contract offered. If what ahs been reported it is not a good deal. 4 years 87 mil okay if we forget the 5 year that is good, but 40 mil guaranteed and 10 mil signing bonus is not good at all compared to what Cam and Tannenhill got.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anthony!":2mz57l5z said:
hawknation2015":2mz57l5z said:
Anthony!":2mz57l5z said:
theincrediblesok":2mz57l5z said:

I think the whole loyalty thing is funny, everyone wants Wilson to be loyal take a cheap deal etc, no one said they when it was Kam, Sherman, or ET. None said it when Lynch held us hostage for more. Noone is saying the FO is not being loyal by not offering a deal close to Cam, Tannanhill, Rothesburger etc. I think loyalty is a catch phrase to help some rationalize a stance when there is nothing else.

You must also be the type of person who believes Wilson can't afford a car payment.

were do you get 20.8 mil a year? Last deal I heard was 4 years 87 mil which is 5 years 88.5 mil which is 17.7 mil and way lower than QBs who are not even close are getting. Also we have no clue how it is structured, even I if we agree 4 years 87 mil is good if only 40 in guaranteed and the bonus is say 10 mil that is a bad deal. It is not just about the numbers it is how it is structured and the last word I heard on that was 40 mil guaranteed and 10 mil bonus, Which is not a good deal when you compare it to Newtons, or Tannanhills.

Four years, $87 million is $21.75 million per year.

Once again, this year's salary is not on the table. If he gets additional money this year, like any other player, it will come in the form of a very large signing bonus that we can prorate over the life of the deal. Not only in this year's salary NOT included in Newton's deal, but Newton agreed to reduce his guaranteed salary this year to make the deal work for his team.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anthony!":lqjlwq7e said:
rideaducati":lqjlwq7e said:
theincrediblesok":lqjlwq7e said:

He already did it for Lynch though, so yes they should consider it for Wilson, problem is they did not anticipate doing it for Lynch and were not ready to do it for Wilson. FYI WIlson has plenty of leverage, like not showing up till the season starts, holding out period, There is no way they will use the non exclusive tag it is way to risky and someone will pay him more than 22mil. And no he should not just sign the contract offered. If what ahs been reported it is not a good deal. 4 years 87 mil okay if we forget the 5 year that is good, but 40 mil guaranteed and 10 mil signing bonus is not good at all compared to what Cam and Tannenhill got.

With the non-exclusive tag, we can match any offer he signs with another team, and that team has to be willing to give up two of their First Round draft picks in addition to meeting Wilson's salary demands. That would be a good way for the team to test Wilson's market value and to gauge how much he really wants to be a Seahawk.

$40 million guaranteed is higher than Roethlisberger/Flacco and about the same as Newton/Brees. But where are you getting a $10 million signing bonus? That would be too low and wouldn't play to the team's advantage. We need the signing bonus to be large enough to lower Wilson's cap hit going forward.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Former agent Joel Corry has a pretty good breakdown on how we can make Russell the highest paid player in the game by a significant margin ($22.25 million APY, $41 million guaranteed, Signing Bonus of $25 million, $89 million total):
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... e-seahawks

0EOAIDA

I think they will ultimately settle on something close to this, perhaps less in the first two years, making Russell the highest paid player in the game. I think the signing bonus could also be more like $30 million.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Anthony!":t9ohdsk3 said:
rideaducati":t9ohdsk3 said:
theincrediblesok":t9ohdsk3 said:

If Russell holds out, he would become a RESTRICTED free agent at the end of the season and would LOSE OUT on his year of service. Seattle would then be able to get him even cheaper next year and Russell would lose out on millions MORE than he already has.

Once again, Russell has ZERO leverage.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Cam and Tannehill had made more money than Wilson for the last 3 years, Cam took less anyways because he already have a pretty good contract. Wilson for the past three years were making less than most starting long-snappers, let that sink in for a moment. Everything is about money, it's about the respect factor too. We can sit here and speculate what the FO said and what people think Wilson wants, but we still don't know. We are only going by what the media have stated and like I said before the media was the first one to say that the Seahawks were ready to make Wilson the highest paid player in the NFL, not the other way around.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2015":31gs1qvg said:
Anthony!":31gs1qvg said:
hawknation2015":31gs1qvg said:
Anthony!":31gs1qvg said:

Four years, $87 million is $21.75 million per year.

Once again, this year's salary is not on the table. If he gets additional money this year, like any other player, it will come in the form of a very large signing bonus that we can prorate over the life of the deal. Not only in this year's salary NOT included in Newton's deal, but Newton agreed to reduce his guaranteed salary this year to make the deal work for his team.

Hmm interesting, however still without knowing the break down of the offer it could still be bad depending on guarantees and bonuses

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3002y7wg said:
Anthony!":3002y7wg said:
rideaducati":3002y7wg said:
theincrediblesok":3002y7wg said:

With the non-exclusive tag, we can match any offer he signs with another team, and that team has to be willing to give up two of their First Round draft picks in addition to meeting Wilson's salary demands. That would be a good way for the team to test Wilson's market value and to gauge how much he really wants to be a Seahawk.

$40 million guaranteed is higher than Roethlisberger/Flacco and about the same as Newton/Brees. But where are you getting a $10 million signing bonus? That would be too low and wouldn't play to the team's advantage. We need the signing bonus to be large enough to lower Wilson's cap hit going forward.

Clayton mentioned it early on KJR that that was the signing bonus they offered.

Anthony!

Reaction score
rideaducati":u9j04o15 said:
Anthony!":u9j04o15 said:
rideaducati":u9j04o15 said:
theincrediblesok":u9j04o15 said:

If Russell holds out, he would become a RESTRICTED free agent at the end of the season and would LOSE OUT on his year of service. Seattle would then be able to get him even cheaper next year and Russell would lose out on millions MORE than he already has.

Once again, Russell has ZERO leverage.

you keep thinking that way, he can hold out half th4 season and still get full credit for the year. keep thinking he has no leverage, not to mention can the Hawks afford to loose a year with their current players? no.

Anthony!

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3937on0t said:
Cam and Tannehill had made more money than Wilson for the last 3 years, Cam took less anyways because he already have a pretty good contract. Wilson for the past three years were making less than most starting long-snappers, let that sink in for a moment. Everything is about money, it's about the respect factor too. We can sit here and speculate what the FO said and what people think Wilson wants, but we still don't know. We are only going by what the media have stated and like I said before the media was the first one to say that the Seahawks were ready to make Wilson the highest paid player in the NFL, not the other way around.

excellent points and as Wilson agent, JS and PC all said do not believe what you hear in the media.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anthony!":33d8yp9j said:
hawknation2015":33d8yp9j said:
Anthony!":33d8yp9j said:
rideaducati":33d8yp9j said:

I just listened to it and never heard him say the signing bonus was for only $10 million. That would surprise me, given that we have room for three times that amount, which would be prorated to only around $5 or $6 million. A $10 million signing bonus is only a $2 million cap hit per year.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anthony!":ykuqrstw said:
you keep thinking that way, he can hold out half th4 season and still get full credit for the year. keep thinking he has no leverage, not to mention can the Hawks afford to loose a year with their current players? no.

Russell Wilson is not holding out half the games this year . . . or any games . . . or training camp. Get that thought out of your head. It is the total antithesis of who he is and how he wants to be viewed.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1hp30vbd said:
Anthony!":1hp30vbd said:
hawknation2015":1hp30vbd said:
Anthony!":1hp30vbd said:

I just listened to it and never heard him say the signing bonus was for only $10 million. That would surprise me, given that we have room for three times that amount, which would be prorated to only around $5 or $6 million. A $10 million signing bonus is only a $2 million cap hit per year.

It surprised me to, maybe I miss heard it, but I was pretty sure that is what was said.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1kyggpio said:
Anthony!":1kyggpio said:

Russell Wilson is not holding out half the games this year . . . or any games . . . or training camp. Get that thought out of your head. It is the total antithesis of who he is and how he wants to be viewed.

true and the FO is taking full advantage of it, and there is lies another problem.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anthony!":2w3splct said:
It surprised me to, maybe I miss heard it, but I was pretty sure that is what was said.

Did you also hear Clayton say he was confident we would use the NON-exclusive tag on Wilson next year and match any offer sheet he received?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I'm in the camp that don't think Wilson will hold out, that's really uncharacteristic of him. Honestly I would love for him to stay a Seahawks for life, but who knows what the future really holds. I think I'm just going to enjoy the ride wherever the wind may blow, shoot after winning our first SB we weren't statistically suppose to be back to back at it.

Anthony!

Reaction score
The more I think about it I think the hold of is the 100MIl mark that al the other QBs are getting. I think Wilson wants 100Mil and to do that the hawks would need to go 5 years and I do not think they want to do 5 years. They have not done any 5 year contract they have all been 4.

Newton 5 years 103.8 mil
Kap 6 years 126

100M is a huge mark and Tannenhills deal is 98 mil

I think that is the hold up. It cannot be about this year as if he plays it out he still only gets the 1.5 and it has been said he will. So that would make no sense. I think it is the 100m mark and to do that the hawks would need to go 5 years. Also all the others deals are 5 or more years.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3pr2v1t5 said:
Anthony!":3pr2v1t5 said:

Did you also hear Clayton say he was confident we would use the NON-exclusive tag on Wilson next year and match any offer sheet he received?

Yes but I am not sure I by that as some team could make an offer we cannot match or will not based on years, money etc. So not sure I buy that.

Latest posts