Russell Wilson and the 3 year, $45.5 million baseline

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Anthony!":2t4haj2g said:
hawknation2015":2t4haj2g said:
Anthony!":2t4haj2g said:
you keep thinking that way, he can hold out half th4 season and still get full credit for the year. keep thinking he has no leverage, not to mention can the Hawks afford to loose a year with their current players? no.

Russell Wilson is not holding out half the games this year . . . or any games . . . or training camp. Get that thought out of your head. It is the total antithesis of who he is and how he wants to be viewed.

true and the FO is taking full advantage of it, and there is lies another problem.

:roll:

No one knows what is going on.. including you.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Anthony!":103ii9oz said:
rideaducati":103ii9oz said:
If Russell holds out, he would become a RESTRICTED free agent at the end of the season and would LOSE OUT on his year of service. Seattle would then be able to get him even cheaper next year and Russell would lose out on millions MORE than he already has.

Once again, Russell has ZERO leverage.

you keep thinking that way, he can hold out half th4 season and still get full credit for the year. keep thinking he has no leverage, not to mention can the Hawks afford to loose a year with their current players? no.

Since the new CBA took effect, players under contract holding out into August LOSE their accrued year. I believe they have to report 31 days before the first regular season game. Russell won't hold out because he would then be a RESTRICTED free agent.

Here is a pretty good article explaining a bit about holding out. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... yers-teams ... It's from last year, but the rules are the same.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Michael Robinson was asked today whether Wilson is worth Aaron Rodgers-type money:

"The friend in me says yes, but the businessman and the realist in me says no. You look at Aaron Rodgers and his contract, that’s the anomaly; that’s paid for a guy who can win a Super Bowl with the 32nd-ranked defense. Name me a year that Russell hasn’t had the top scoring defense in the National Football League? Name me a year he hasn’t had a top-five rusher in the National Football League? Name me a year that he hasn’t had one of the top two or three rushing offenses in this league? You can’t."

http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-seaha ... ell-Wilson

According to Rapaport, not only does Wilson want to be the highest paid player in the game, he also wants a "highly, highly guaranteed contract that a baseball player or a basketball player would get."

"Based on the people I'm talking to, it is still stuck in Russell Wilson's head that the contract extension he signs doesn't just make him the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL but also is highly, highly guaranteed contract that a baseball player or a basketball player would get," Rapaport said. "There have been some negotiations recently. They have continued, but from what I hear now, it would be highly unlikely for any deal to get done before the two sides break for the summer."

Rocket

Reaction score
rideaducati":2ey62nlk said:
I think the Seahawks might use the nonexclusive tag on him and let him test the waters and match whatever he and his agent could come up with. Nobody is going to sign Russell for more than $22 million per year.
(emphasis by Rocket)
Nobody? $22m? Seriously? A full year down the road? After maybe his 3rd superbowl in 3 years?
A year is a LONG time Bro.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Rocket":ewp6c9mz said:
rideaducati":ewp6c9mz said:
I think the Seahawks might use the nonexclusive tag on him and let him test the waters and match whatever he and his agent could come up with. Nobody is going to sign Russell for more than $22 million per year.
(emphasis by Rocket)
Nobody? $22m? Seriously? A full year down the road? After maybe his 3rd superbowl in 3 years?

And the Seahawks will drive up his asking price if they use the franchise tag on him as well.

But one team WILL pay for the man. Just not the Seahawks. I doubt Schneider would pay that much for a QB if another team offers him that much.

Just my own opinion.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2mce5rbz said:
Michael Robinson was asked today whether Wilson is worth Aaron Rodgers-type money:

"The friend in me says yes, but the businessman and the realist in me says no. You look at Aaron Rodgers and his contract, that’s the anomaly; that’s paid for a guy who can win a Super Bowl with the 32nd-ranked defense. Name me a year that Russell hasn’t had the top scoring defense in the National Football League? Name me a year he hasn’t had a top-five rusher in the National Football League? Name me a year that he hasn’t had one of the top two or three rushing offenses in this league? You can’t."

http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-seaha ... ell-Wilson

According to Rapaport, not only does Wilson want to be the highest paid player in the game, he also wants a "highly, highly guaranteed contract that a baseball player or a basketball player would get."

"Based on the people I'm talking to, it is still stuck in Russell Wilson's head that the contract extension he signs doesn't just make him the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL but also is highly, highly guaranteed contract that a baseball player or a basketball player would get," Rapaport said. "There have been some negotiations recently. They have continued, but from what I hear now, it would be highly unlikely for any deal to get done before the two sides break for the summer."

As I have said I would not believe everything the media says and Mike Rob forgets part of the reason for that #1 rushing attack is Wilson. Also the only year GB won a SB with Ridges their defense was ranked #2 So his facts are even off. So I am not buying it at all. If what Rapport was saying was true Clayton would have said it. Remember Rapport early on said a deal was close. I will say this if true then tag him for 2 years and let him go or trade him, but I 100% do not believe it is true. Rappaport was one of the media saying his contract would be huge and fully guaranteed so yeah no.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Rocket":fc8a4uc1 said:
rideaducati":fc8a4uc1 said:
(emphasis by Rocket)

I still doubt that a team would go much higher. A couple years from now I could see $24 million, but the Seahawks would match that. I can't see a team coming in for $4 million more than the next highest paid QB. Russell deserves to be paid top five money and the Seahawks have offered that much.

What we have now is an agent from another sport trying to change the way contracts are done in a sport where he has never negotiated a contract. Not only is he trying to change the way the NFL does contracts, he is trying to do it in a sport where injuries happen at a much higher rate than he is used to and is threatening to put his client's future in jeopardy. ..All of this is being attempted when his client has no leverage.

I know he is just doing his job and I could see a reason to pull this garbage if the Seahawks were lowballing his client, but the Seahawks have offered to make him the second highest paid QB in the NFL.

Anthony!

Reaction score
rideaducati":1vmrx48x said:
Rocket":1vmrx48x said:
rideaducati":1vmrx48x said:
(emphasis by Rocket)

I still doubt that a team would go much higher. A couple years from now I could see $24 million, but the Seahawks would match that. I can't see a team coming in for $4 million more than the next highest paid QB. Russell deserves to be paid top five money and the Seahawks have offered that much.

What we have now is an agent from another sport trying to change the way contracts are done in a sport where he has never negotiated a contract. Not only is he trying to change the way the NFL does contracts, he is trying to do it in a sport where injuries happen at a much higher rate than he is used to and is threatening to put his client's future in jeopardy. ..All of this is being attempted when his client has no leverage.

I know he is just doing his job and I could see a reason to pull this garbage if the Seahawks were lowballing his client, but the Seahawks have offered to make him the second highest paid QB in the NFL.

well to be honest we do not know for sure he has been offered top 5 money and again even if he had it depends on the bonuses and guarantees if it is a good deal things we do not know. So again we do not know we are assuming, I still think it is about he 100m mark and to do that we need a 5th year and the Hawks do not do 5 year contracts as a norm.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Anthony!":32n5ji97 said:
well to be honest we do not know for sure he has been offered top 5 money and again even if he had it depends on the bonuses and guarantees if it is a good deal things we do not know. So again we do not know we are assuming, I still think it is about he 100m mark and to do that we need a 5th year and the Hawks do not do 5 year contracts as a norm.

Everything I've read is it's Russell that doesn't want a contract longer than four years, because he thinks he's going to continue to kick ass, win SB's and get an even bigger deal next time.

It's true Pete and John don't like to do deals longer than 3-4 years, but my guess is if they think Russell is as special as they say he is.........they'd want to lock him up for longer than four years. If not for any other reason than to spread out his bonus over more years.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/610893386078289921[/tweet]

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":22bazok6 said:
Anthony!":22bazok6 said:

Everything I've read is it's Russell that doesn't want a contract longer than four years, because he thinks he's going to continue to kick ass, win SB's and get an even bigger deal next time.

It's true Pete and John don't like to do deals longer than 3-4 years, but my guess is if they think Russell is as special as they say he is.........they'd want to lock him up for longer than four years. If not for any other reason than to spread out his bonus over more years.

You can only spread the bonus over 5 years, so we're not really talking about a huge difference. It's not as if they could sign him to 10 years and give him a $30 million bonus at $3 million cap hit per year. If the contract is for more than 5 years, then the cap hit is spread across the first 5 years with the rest getting zero cap hit.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39je8zwz said:
Anthony!":39je8zwz said:

Not what I have heard.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1k7up1tp said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/610893386078289921[/tweet]

Not that uncommon to get a policy if you are on the last year of a deal, does not mean they will not sign him

randomation

Reaction score
Here is the thing Russ has zero reason to take a deal that will pay him less then 22 million a year his contract next year if tagged will be around that, the year after the tag will be 120% of that and then 120% of that. The baseline isn't 45.5 it's over 70 easily.

Sac

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson get a good faith pay raise for this year only if they can't get a reasonable extension worked out.

Teams are required to spend up to a certain percentage of the cap anyway. Might as well throw him a few million this year and buy a little good will for next year.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
randomation":3kcmpusg said:
Here is the thing Russ has zero reason to take a deal that will pay him less then 22 million a year his contract next year if tagged will be around that, the year after the tag will be 120% of that and then 120% of that. The baseline isn't 45.5 it's over 70 easily.

And if he gets seriously hurt, there is no insurance policy in the world that will make up the difference in what he would have received had he signed a long-term deal worth $20-22 million per year with $40+ million guaranteed.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3tnx0p7l said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson get a good faith pay raise for this year only if they can't get a reasonable extension worked out.

Teams are required to spend up to a certain percentage of the cap anyway. Might as well throw him a few million this year and buy a little good will for next year.

We're already well over the required 89%.

And we will need those cap savings to extend Wagner and to potentially franchise Wilson next year. In addition, I don't think Wilson needs any more incentive NOT to sign an extension.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3nj2q5om said:
randomation":3nj2q5om said:

And if he gets seriously hurt, there is no insurance policy in the world that will make up the difference in what he would have received had he signed a long-term deal worth $20-22 million per year with $40+ million guaranteed.

ahh yeah there is, and we do not know what the guarantee is

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anthony!":31pk9ns4 said:
hawknation2015":31pk9ns4 said:
randomation":31pk9ns4 said:

ahh yeah there is, and we do not know what the guarantee is

$40 million is in line with what the other top QBs have received. It is also the figure you yourself cited above (from Clayton) when discussing the most recent offer to Wilson.

Latest posts