Russell Wilson and the 3 year, $45.5 million baseline

hawknation2015

Reaction score
RichNhansom":21tblj4r said:
hawknation2015":21tblj4r said:
dontbelikethat":21tblj4r said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/609490547430985728[/tweet]

That is $21.75 million APY. I want them to see them eventually offer him $22 million APY, but with a 5th year included so we get a better deal. I wonder if the 5th year is a nonstarter with Wilson's agent, who knows they can get more money if they re-up after four years.

Is that 4 years added? Or starting a new contract?

4 years added would make it a 5 year deal worth 88.5 or 17.7 per year. Big difference and would seem like a low ball offer if it is added on.

Mark Rodgers, is that you?

We don't have $20+ million to give Wilson this season. We're trying to secure his future and ease into his massive salary increase so we can pay out other players as well. Anything Wilson makes this season, in addition to his current base salary, would come in the form of a signing bonus that we can prorate over the life of the deal.

Anthony!

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":11mnm2b6 said:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/609492402869436416[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/609495315318607873[/tweet]

This statement is why I believe nothing He says ".@GeorgeBradvica RW does not want another yr- that would benefit the team not him" that is so negative towards Wilson like he has been a lot that his biased just make me not believe anything he says, add to that we would have heard it form a reputable person if it was true by now. Not buying it at all.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2av6l9fh said:
RichNhansom":2av6l9fh said:
hawknation2015":2av6l9fh said:
dontbelikethat":2av6l9fh said:

That is $21.75 million APY. I want them to see them eventually offer him $22 million APY, but with a 5th year included so we get a better deal. I wonder if the 5th year is a nonstarter with Wilson's agent, who knows they can get more money if they re-up after four years.

4 years added would make it a 5 year deal worth 88.5 or 17.7 per year. Big difference and would seem like a low ball offer if it is added on.

We don't have $20+ million to give Wilson this season. We're trying to secure his future and ease into his massive salary increase so we can pay out other players as well. Anything Wilson makes this season, in addition to his current base salary, would come in the form of a signing bonus that we can prorate over the life of the deal.

That is on the FO for not preparing right, add in this 4 year crap that they have. All the top QBs are getting 100K+ the only way for them to do that with Wilson is got to at least 5 years. A 5 year deal at say 110 would be 6 years at 111.5 or 18.6 a year still low but better. They could also go 6 years at say 132 which would be 7 years at 133.5 or 19 a year which is pretty good. all that said someone said that they offered Wilson a deal comparable to Rothesburger, so it sounds to me like we still do not know much but I believe very little of what HSU due to his biased.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3faa55n1 said:
RichNhansom":3faa55n1 said:
hawknation2015":3faa55n1 said:
dontbelikethat":3faa55n1 said:

To be honest is sounds more to me like they are doing the minimum they can do keep him. this offer if even right is a low ball offer. All the other TOP QBs are now getting 100K+ deals, all In the 20+ mil a year area for their contracts. an extension of 4 years at 87 mil equates to 5 years 88.5 and that is a low ball offer. I mean in the end if the FO did not see this coming one they have lied to us, and 2 they have not planned well at all. The made this bed when thy caved to Lynch. Now they got to fix it.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anthony!":6agzdyze said:
hawknation2015":6agzdyze said:
RichNhansom":6agzdyze said:
hawknation2015":6agzdyze said:

That is on the FO for not preparing right, add in this 4 year crap that they have. All the top QBs are getting 100K+ the only way for them to do that with Wilson is got to at least 5 years. A 5 year deal at say 110 would be 6 years at 111.5 or 18.6 a year still low but better. They could also go 6 years at say 132 which would be 7 years at 133.5 or 19 a year which is pretty good. all that said someone said that they offered Wilson a deal comparable to Rothesburger, so it sounds to me like we still do not know much but I believe very little of what HSU due to his biased.

Look at it this way, Anthony, either way Wilson is making $1,542,000 in base salary this year -- whether he signs an extension of not. The question is whether he will have secured his future with a $40+ million signing bonus and other guarantees.

Cam Newton recently agreed to REDUCE his 2015 base salary in order to get a five-year extension in place. Five years is more team-friendly than four years (which is why Wilson reportedly does NOT want five years) because the average salary is rapidly increasing for QBs, and he can make more money with shorter contracts. Also, if you include Newton's reduced 2015 salary/cap hit, then his contract extension was actually worth less than $20 million per year.

Wilson's agent needs to pull his head out of you know where and follow the precedent that has been set by Newton, as well as Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor and others, in agreeing to ease into his massive salary increase by foregoing an immediate increase in base salary in exchange for a signing bonus. Wilson's signing bonus should be larger than Cam's, even though Cam agreed to a more team-friendly, five-year extension.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Anthony!":1kzz3tbs said:
To be honest is sounds more to me like they are doing the minimum they can do keep him. this offer if even right is a low ball offer. All the other TOP QBs are now getting 100K+ deals, all In the 20+ mil a year area for their contracts. an extension of 4 years at 87 mil equates to 5 years 88.5 and that is a low ball offer. I mean in the end if the FO did not see this coming one they have lied to us, and 2 they have not planned well at all. The made this bed when thy caved to Lynch. Now they got to fix it.

Using THIS season to average into a new contract doesn't make sense. Russell isn't going to be able to make up for the money lost because he was a third round pick. If he believes he can, I believe he'll be playing somewhere else to make up for it. Just to get him into the top 5 in average pay over the next 5 years, he would have to sign a four year extension for $27 million per year and I don't think anyone is going to give him that much.

Russell will either get a bunch of money by way of signing bonus this season or he will not sign and play for $1.5 million. No team out there is going to give him much, if any, more than $22 million/year. There is only one QB at $22 million/year now.

ctrcat

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2ljhgdv8 said:
Anthony!":2ljhgdv8 said:

4 years added would make it a 5 year deal worth 88.5 or 17.7 per year. Big difference and would seem like a low ball offer if it is added on

Look at it this way, Anthony, either way Wilson is making $1,542,000 in base salary this year -- whether he signs an extension of not. The question is whether he will have secured his future with a $40+ million signing bonus and other guarantees.

Cam Newton recently agreed to REDUCE his 2015 base salary in order to get a five-year extension in place. Five years is more team-friendly than four years (which is why Wilson reportedly does NOT want five years) because the average salary is rapidly increasing for QBs, and he can make more money with shorter contracts. Also, if you include Newton's reduced 2015 salary/cap hit, then his contract extension was actually worth less than $20 million per year.

Wilson's agent needs to pull his head out of you know where and follow the precedent that has been set by Newton, as well as Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor and others, in agreeing to ease into his massive salary increase by foregoing an immediate increase in base salary in exchange for a signing bonus. Wilson's signing bonus should be larger than Cam's, even though Cam agreed to a more team-friendly, five-year extension.

But do you blame the agent or RW himself for hiring him, since Bus Cook would have done just that you have described (in all likelihood)?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ctrcat":3c85qxtt said:
hawknation2015":3c85qxtt said:

But do you blame the agent or RW himself for hiring him, since Bus Cook would have done just that you have described (in all likelihood)?

The longer this process is drawn out, the more people will begin to ask that same question.

Mark Rodgers is Wilson's self-described "father figure." He made the right decision to have Wilson sign with a more experienced football agent three years ago to work out his rookie deal -- when there was much less money at issue.

Now he may be doing the team -- and Wilson -- a disservice with a prolonged negotiation. Rodgers says, "For me, there would be a greater disappointment in taking a below-market deal than there would be in honoring the fourth year of a contract.”

Well, it's not about what Rodgers thinks the NFL market-value is or whether Rodgers suffers personal "disappointment" . . . the only thing that should matter is securing Wilson's future in a way that best allows the team to continue to surround him with championship-caliber players.

randomation

Reaction score
The longer this is going on the higher that baseline goes because with the latest contracts it's closer to 75 million over 3 years than 45.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Would you all be mad if Wilson agreed to long term contract now to only after a year later asking for a raise? Of course you would. This is why I believe that he's stating his high point now and if he's worth it to the Seahawks they will pay him. Could the FO potentially let him walk in the future, yeah sure. Wilson has leverage now with the latest contract from Tannehill and Cam, he could just wait until Luck gets his and if Wilson is able to get close to the SB again, his market will just keep going up. He's betting on himself and I see no problem with it.

If they want to keep Wilson, there's four players they can get rid of, Okung, Irvin, Kearse, and Mebane after this year. Mebane would be tough to cut but our defense was okay as long as we have Wagner.

From a fan's perspective some would hate it and will say it should be about the team, how truly loyal is an organization if they can cut you anytime when they felt someone younger or cheaper could take your spot? How many great players have we lost in free agency to this same reason?

Anthony!

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":6bis2qzr said:
Would you all be mad if Wilson agreed to long term contract now to only after a year later asking for a raise? Of course you would. This is why I believe that he's stating his high point now and if he's worth it to the Seahawks they will pay him. Could the FO potentially let him walk in the future, yeah sure. Wilson has leverage now with the latest contract from Tannehill and Cam, he could just wait until Luck gets his and if Wilson is able to get close to the SB again, his market will just keep going up. He's betting on himself and I see no problem with it.

If they want to keep Wilson, there's four players they can get rid of, Okung, Irvin, Kearse, and Mebane after this year. Mebane would be tough to cut but our defense was okay as long as we have Wagner.

From a fan's perspective some would hate it and will say it should be about the team, how truly loyal is an organization if they can cut you anytime when they felt someone younger or cheaper could take your spot? How many great players have we lost in free agency to this same reason?

I think the whole loyalty thing is funny, everyone wants Wilson to be loyal take a cheap deal etc, no one said they when it was Kam, Sherman, or ET. None said it when Lynch held us hostage for more. Noone is saying the FO is not being loyal by not offering a deal close to Cam, Tannanhill, Rothesburger etc. I think loyalty is a catch phrase to help some rationalize a stance when there is nothing else.

Jville

Reaction score
Anthony!":dqym4o18 said:
theincrediblesok":dqym4o18 said:

I think the whole loyalty thing is funny, everyone wants Wilson to be loyal take a cheap deal etc, no one said they when it was Kam, Sherman, or ET. None said it when Lynch held us hostage for more. Noone is saying the FO is not being loyal by not offering a deal close to Cam, Tannanhill, Rothesburger etc. I think loyalty is a catch phrase to help some rationalize a stance when there is nothing else.

Everyone?

No one?

That labeling of this diverse forum is just flat false.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3o2w7ffj said:
theincrediblesok":3o2w7ffj said:

Dude how high does that horse of yours get?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anthony!":1niuv9v6 said:
theincrediblesok":1niuv9v6 said:

$20.8 million per year is a "cheap" deal?

You must also be the type of person who believes Wilson can't afford a car payment.

:34853_doh:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":2h6avcmq said:

There is no loyalty in pro sports, especially the hard cap league of professional football.

So I wish fans would stop using the word, it doesn't exist on either side of the negotiation table. Both sides bargain every 5-10 years, so there should be no complaining from either side.

As far as Russell goes, if he signs an extension...............then asks for even more money in 2-3 years? I'd love that, because it means he's playing out of his mind and we probably won another SB or two if he thinks he's worth even more now.

Latest posts