Russell Wilson: Report says he wants to explore options with

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":zl4d0hcg said:
JustTheTip":zl4d0hcg said:
Sgt. Largent":zl4d0hcg said:
Aros":zl4d0hcg said:
My professional opinion (professional in my own head) is that Wilson will be traded this offseason in a blockbuster deal.

Call it a hunch.

I wouldn't put it past John and Pete to not be afraid of trading Russell.

They obviously have supreme confidence in themselves, their schemes and how to build a championship roster. So if they think the chance of getting back to a SB is trading Russell for a bunch of picks in order to build another great defense and run game that's more suited to how Pete wants to coach?

I honestly wouldn't be shocked at this point in this franchise's current state of affairs.

Biggest concern would be replacing Wilson's deep ball to fill Pete's obsession with the big play.

I don't take replacing any of Russell's attributes lightly.

Again, obviously a huge risky move trading your franchise QB. But if we're being honest, how often have we seen those attributes for the past year 1/2? More underthrows, more missed receivers. Far less 4th quarter comebacks. In fact, zero this year.

Believe me, that's not lost on John and Pete. They realize there might be no better time to trade Russell if his play is going to continue to devolve.

The better time would have been last offseason.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":wsjjipnk said:
JustTheTip":wsjjipnk said:
Sgt. Largent":wsjjipnk said:
Aros":wsjjipnk said:
My professional opinion (professional in my own head) is that Wilson will be traded this offseason in a blockbuster deal.

Call it a hunch.

They obviously have supreme confidence in themselves, their schemes and how to build a championship roster. So if they think the chance of getting back to a SB is trading Russell for a bunch of picks in order to build another great defense and run game that's more suited to how Pete wants to coach?

I honestly wouldn't be shocked at this point in this franchise's current state of affairs.

Biggest concern would be replacing Wilson's deep ball to fill Pete's obsession with the big play.

Again, obviously a huge risky move trading your franchise QB. But if we're being honest, how often have we seen those attributes for the past year 1/2? More underthrows, more missed receivers. Far less 4th quarter comebacks. In fact, zero this year.

Believe me, that's not lost on John and Pete. They realize there might be no better time to trade Russell if his play is going to continue to devolve.

Make no mistake, Russell Wilson is a generational talent, a first ballot HOF QB, it would be hard to find a replacement as good as Russ. Could our next QB be 80% of Russ? or 75%? Where's Russ now? 90% of his prime? where will he be in two years? 70% of his prime? If we could trade Russ, and luck into someone who could be 80% of prime Russell. We are doing OK. As Russ will continue to age and regress, we will get a lot less for him in two years.

Bill Walsh always preached to trade super stars a year or two too early than a year or two too late. Hey he traded Montana.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JustTheTip":27iidjgs said:
Sgt. Largent":27iidjgs said:
JustTheTip":27iidjgs said:
Sgt. Largent":27iidjgs said:

I agree, but I don't think Russell's injury or play this year diminished his trade value.

WAY too many desperate teams that think they're a good QB away from being competitive.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
JustTheTip":b2s2zqm1 said:
Sgt. Largent":b2s2zqm1 said:
JustTheTip":b2s2zqm1 said:
Sgt. Largent":b2s2zqm1 said:

I did advocated to trade Russ last off-season, that idea didn't go down well on dot net.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hey Russ is going to be on the Manning MNF cast tonight.

What's the over under on how many times he says "I just want to win." 12? 14?

I look forward tomorrow to breaking down how many dumb things he says to throw fuel on the I'm exploring my options nonsense fire.

keasley45

Reaction score
You know, when you look back across the Pete and Russel years, Russ's mostly ups, but downs, the rocky relationship he seems to have now with Pete, the tension that has existed in the Hawks locker room post 2014, and the assertions made that Russ was coddled, not held to account , and basically accused of not pulling his weight during the team's most successful period, it makes one wonder whether this now perpetual desire on Russ's part to leave, is something that runs a bit deeper.

I'm not saying it's what's happening, but I think it's plausible that what's driving Russ is championships, sure, but just as much, if not more so, that he wants to once and for all before his career is over, prove to his coach, his former teammates, to the world and maybe himself, that he's one of the greats...

When you read about players who thought Russ wasn't pulling his weight in the early years, and instead was buoyed by the performance of the other aspects of the team, and Pete's commitment to protecting him still and even speaking for him in instances like Brock and Salks Jan 12th show when Pete remarked that Russ has no issue being in a run first offense ( i though of it sounded a bit too definitive and presumtive when i heard it). It's not difficult to see this almost as a case of the sheltered son who's always been seen as a product of his 'father' or family, needing to step out and go it alone. It would offer rational for why, even with the offense seeming to hit its stride late this year, why Russ seemingly still wants to explore options. Maybe he doesn't want the success if it means he will essentially be placed right back into the cast he's been trying to break from. I know that much of what I said is obvious for those who hold the position that Russ sees himself as more than maybe he is. I guess what I'm trying pose is different in that it's less about a selfish, narcissistic leaning, as much as it is a guy trying to prove to himself that he's not the Russel that needs Pete's protection, or the Hawks defense to be the headline, or for his RB to bust out for 140ypg. In this line of thinking, it's as if having those things is almost as bad as not having them and struggling to field a .500 team if it means that Russel Wilson is the Russel Wilson of old - 'coach's son' , beneficiary of a great team, a short qb who succeeded, but with caveats and exclusions. Maybe he just wants to be out of the shadow.

If that's the case, I get it. It's almost as if no matter how much success he might have in Seattle, if it's in Seattle, he'll never be able to really say to himself that he did it and was THE guy. I know that even posed in that way it still might sound selfish because football is a team sport. But most things in life require team work. And the narrative of the person who had success but needed to ultimately find success his or her way, outside the shadow of some other contributing factor is pretty common in other contexts like business. And when it works, it's celebrated.

It woukd also explain why Russ is 'happy' here, but also drawn to the idea of being elsewhere. He genuinely feels both.

And it would provide reasoning for why a disappointing season this year where he played poorly, but then finished well, because the 'team' did well is a positive, but also more reason for frustration. 'We' did it... but it had the hallmarks of Pete's way. He loses personally, here even when he wins.

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1aqb3fra said:
JustTheTip":1aqb3fra said:
Sgt. Largent":1aqb3fra said:
Aros":1aqb3fra said:

Call it a hunch.

Actually, 1 4th qtr/OT game-winning drive this year, and he had 3 last year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/comeback.cgi?player=WilsRu00

Now let's look at what you are talking about here, in the 2 years you are talking about

but lest look at this
2021 playing 14 games not 17
20th coplt%, he was 3rd before the injury
5th in ypa he was 2nd beforr injury
11th in tds he was 3rd before injury
5th in passer rating he was 2nd before injury

6th in complt%
13th in YPA
3rd in TDs
7th in passer rating

he was one of only 5 in the top 10 in complt%, tds, and passer rating.

And I am not counting any rushing were he has 2 tds each yer and over 500 yards last year

yeah people like that grow on trees. I think some of you have some seriously unrealistic expectations for our QB

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John63":2dtq72fx said:
Sgt. Largent":2dtq72fx said:
JustTheTip":2dtq72fx said:
Sgt. Largent":2dtq72fx said:

Now let's look at what you are talking about here, in the 2 years you are talking about

but lest look at this

6th in complt%
13th in YPA
3rd in TDs
7th in passer rating

And I am not counting any rushing were he has 2 tds each yer and over 500 yards last year

yeah people like that grow on trees. I think some of you have some seriously unrealistic expectations for our QB

Idk how you can say the Arizona game was a 4th quarter comeback when the Hawk's had the lead since midway through the 2nd quarter and never lost it.

Talk about reaching.

I've also said twice now in this thread that I don't take Russell's attributes lightly and it'd be a very bold move to trade your franchise QB.

So let's dial back the "some of you people" nonsense.

This is speculation. Conjecture. This is what fans do in the off season. My point is that I wouldn't underestimate Pete and John contemplating trading Russell at this point in his career and obvious issues with playing for Pete.

You disagree?

keasley45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35msgmsc said:
John63":35msgmsc said:
Sgt. Largent":35msgmsc said:
JustTheTip":35msgmsc said:

but lest look at this

6th in complt%
13th in YPA
3rd in TDs
7th in passer rating

Idk how you can say the Arizona game was a 4th quarter comeback when the Hawk's had the lead since midway through the 2nd quarter and never lost it.

Talk about reaching.

I've also said twice now in this thread that I don't take Russell's attributes lightly and it'd be a very bold move to trade your franchise QB.

This is speculation. Conjecture. This is what fans do in the off season. My point is that I wouldn't underestimate Pete and John contemplating trading Russell at this point in his career and obvious issues with playing for Pete.

You disagree?

I agree with you. I posted above in another way too long post that he might 'have' to leave- just throwing out a thought. Which would render the stat wars, the great vs not great, good guy or bad guy conversations we have on .net pointless.

It just might be time. And if that's the case, no one's a villain for it. It's just life.

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2x3f6jzd said:
John63":2x3f6jzd said:
Sgt. Largent":2x3f6jzd said:
JustTheTip":2x3f6jzd said:

but lest look at this

6th in complt%
13th in YPA
3rd in TDs
7th in passer rating

Talk about reaching.

You disagree?

On I did not say that the site did and 2 We did not have the lead from midway through the 2nd qtr. It was 24-17 Az in the 3rd qtr and 24-24 in the 4th before we pulled away with Wilson leading the game winning drive.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay... rest, I said some of you does that mean you?

James in PA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ktc5lmj said:

I look forward tomorrow to breaking down how many dumb things he says to throw fuel on the I'm exploring my options nonsense fire.
Don't forget "the reality is." That's one of his go-to's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keasley45

Reaction score
James in PA":371msrf2 said:
Sgt. Largent":371msrf2 said:

Don't forget "the reality is." That's one of his go-to's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And ... prepare, prepared, and preparation.

And... 'want to be great'

IndyHawk

Reaction score
John63":tz8865bi said:
Sgt. Largent":tz8865bi said:
John63":tz8865bi said:
Sgt. Largent":tz8865bi said:

but lest look at this

6th in complt%
13th in YPA
3rd in TDs
7th in passer rating

Talk about reaching.

You disagree?

On I did not say that the site did and 2 We did not have the lead from midway through the 2nd qtr. It was 24-17 Az in the 3rd qtr and 24-24 in the 4th before we pulled away with Wilson leading the game winning drive.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay...omebacks by RW go so that stat means nothing.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson is not going to burn bridges, neither are the Seahawks, why this went on so long last year without a statement from Wilson personally or the Seahawks till just around the start of camp. If a deal is in the works the Seahawks will not confirm or deny, remember everything is always on the table till it is not.

Wilson's agent will stoke the fire keeping the option card open, Jesus Baseball guys do this all the time to keep their players of note in the headlines and try to get fan support for whatever team is leaked or to push the current team to do something that helps with the salary up.

Wilson's image is not that of Rodgers, Rodger's image is a great player but entitled and opinionated, Wilson the Mr Clean of the NFL and team guy.

Wilson wants to do both be a team guy and push his narrative through his agent.

Why no word from the Seahawks and him personally works for him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John63":2bsadwc9 said:
As to the rest, I said some of you does that mean you?

It does when you say it while you're quoting the person. How else would I take it?

But I digress, and you didn't answer my question.

If you were Pete and John, would you entertain trading Russell this off season? Because if not, then you're also saying you're ready to make him the highest paid QB next off season, because that's what he's going to want for his next extension.

So if you or anyone is in the don't trade Russ camp no matter what? Then you need to be mindful of what's going to happen next off season, and that's paying him 50M+ so he's the highest paid QB in the league.

So while some people think we don't need to worry about him now, they're not taking into account long term, and risking more injuries, continued deterioration of his play and his value being far less next off season.

John63

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1cfu9efu said:
John63":1cfu9efu said:
Sgt. Largent":1cfu9efu said:
John63":1cfu9efu said:

but lest look at this

6th in complt%
13th in YPA
3rd in TDs
7th in passer rating

Talk about reaching.

You disagree?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay...d or tie in the 4th qtr So sorry not correct

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1fy2sqbo said:
John63":1fy2sqbo said:

It does when you say it while you're quoting the person. How else would I take it?

If you were Pete and John, would you entertain trading Russell this off season? Because if not, then you're also saying you're ready to make him the highest paid QB next off season, because that's what he's going to want for his next extension.

So if you or anyone is in the don't trade Russ camp no matter what? Then you need to be mindful of what's going to happen next off season, and that's paying him 50M+ so he's the highest paid QB in the league.

So while some people think we don't need to worry about him now, they're not taking into account long term, and risking more injuries, continued deterioration of his play and his value being far less next off season.

I quoted several people in my post. As to the rest well you ask a lot of questions based on a lot of assumptions. A lot of what I would do would depend on my conversation with the players involved. So without knowing those I can't say anything as it would all be assumptions and conjecture with, way too many variables.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John63":2jpsth0t said:
Sgt. Largent":2jpsth0t said:
John63":2jpsth0t said:

I quoted several people in my post. As to the rest well you ask a lot of questions based on a lot of assumptions. A lot of what I would do would depend on my conversation with the players involved. So without knowing those I can't say anything as it would all be assumptions and conjecture with, way too many variables.

Have an opinion man. Of course it's conjecture and speculation, that's the fun of it.

I laid out the scenario, so give me your opinion based on it.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
keasley45":16tbbfak said:
You know, when you look back across the Pete and Russel years, Russ's mostly ups, but downs, the rocky relationship he seems to have now with Pete, the tension that has existed in the Hawks locker room post 2014, and the assertions made that Russ was coddled, not held to account , and basically accused of not pulling his weight during the team's most successful period, it makes one wonder whether this now perpetual desire on Russ's part to leave, is something that runs a bit deeper.

I'm not saying it's what's happening, but I think it's plausible that what's driving Russ is championships, sure, but just as much, if not more so, that he wants to once and for all before his career is over, prove to his coach, his former teammates, to the world and maybe himself, that he's one of the greats...

When you read about players who thought Russ wasn't pulling his weight in the early years, and instead was buoyed by the performance of the other aspects of the team, and Pete's commitment to protecting him still and even speaking for him in instances like Brock and Salks Jan 12th show when Pete remarked that Russ has no issue being in a run first offense ( i though of it sounded a bit too definitive and presumtive when i heard it). It's not difficult to see this almost as a case of the sheltered son who's always been seen as a product of his 'father' or family, needing to step out and go it alone. It would offer rational for why, even with the offense seeming to hit its stride late this year, why Russ seemingly still wants to explore options. Maybe he doesn't want the success if it means he will essentially be placed right back into the cast he's been trying to break from. I know that much of what I said is obvious for those who hold the position that Russ sees himself as more than maybe he is. I guess what I'm trying pose is different in that it's less about a selfish, narcissistic leaning, as much as it is a guy trying to prove to himself that he's not the Russel that needs Pete's protection, or the Hawks defense to be the headline, or for his RB to bust out for 140ypg. In this line of thinking, it's as if having those things is almost as bad as not having them and struggling to field a .500 team if it means that Russel Wilson is the Russel Wilson of old - 'coach's son' , beneficiary of a great team, a short qb who succeeded, but with caveats and exclusions. Maybe he just wants to be out of the shadow.

If that's the case, I get it. It's almost as if no matter how much success he might have in Seattle, if it's in Seattle, he'll never be able to really say to himself that he did it and was THE guy. I know that even posed in that way it still might sound selfish because football is a team sport. But most things in life require team work. And the narrative of the person who had success but needed to ultimately find success his or her way, outside the shadow of some other contributing factor is pretty common in other contexts like business. And when it works, it's celebrated.

It woukd also explain why Russ is 'happy' here, but also drawn to the idea of being elsewhere. He genuinely feels both.

And it would provide reasoning for why a disappointing season this year where he played poorly, but then finished well, because the 'team' did well is a positive, but also more reason for frustration. 'We' did it... but it had the hallmarks of Pete's way. He loses personally, here even when he wins.

Let me try to see if I got it?

You cruise happily in your Mercedes SL something you work hard for, the thing is you work in your dad's company. When folks looked at your SL and smiled, you start to suspect they were laughing at your coattail, even though you contributed to the company sucess as much as daddy dear.

If I got it right, then I respectfully disagree with you. Our Russell is more complex, at least in my humble opinion.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
RW is a winner and a pro's pro.

No matter where he is.

Go Hawks isn't genuine, it's what you do as a professional quarterback.

Hearing Big Ben say his team didn't stand a chance was refreshing, but it's not really something you want to hear from your teams leader.

Latest posts