Seahawks Defense Dead Last Since Week 9

hawks85

Reaction score
Their defense wasn't playing this well until they hired their new DC
Correct. Seattle's problem is they keep hiring DC's in house, they need to look outside of the team. Since Harbaugh arrived in Baltimore, they pretty much have always had a very good D. There were a few times when their D wasn't as good, but overall, they've always had a good D.

renofox

Reaction score
Correct. Seattle's problem is they keep hiring DC's in house, they need to look outside of the team. Since Harbaugh arrived in Baltimore, they pretty much have always had a very good D. There were a few times when their D wasn't as good, but overall, they've always had a good D.
Many here have argued that top coordinator candidates won't come here because they would refuse to work under PC's restrictions.

I don't know one way or the other, but if pressed I would tend to agree with this view.

There's plenty of debate about Schotty, but I think he was the best OC the Seahawks have had during 0C's tenure.

I know that Schotty had a meeting with PC to sign an extension. I know that the extension was not signed and that both parties cited "philosophical differences" as the reason.

My experience tells me that the most likely scenario is that Schotty brought the rubber to the road and told PC he needed to be able to run the Offense HIS way, and that PC said "no way, you have to run it within these guidelines". Schotty said "F that, I'm outta here" because he didn't want to work within the guidelines PC laid out.

I don't think PC will have much luck luring a hot, young DC candidate.

I hope I'm wrong.

LTH

Reaction score
I disagree wholeheartedly that it isn't coaching causing the majority of the more embarrassing defensive issues.

I agree that we don't have a championship-caliber level of overall talent, but the issues we're seeing are down to basic gap control and concept execution. The very bare necessities of playing defense in the NFL. Pittsburgh has a plodding offense without an especially explosive run game, and we were flat out shooting ourselves in the foot on run D. It wasn't that they were simply better than us talent-wise, it was the fact that no one was fitting properly and there was little in the way of gap integrity.

We've been able to stop the run in many prior years without premier line talent, and we should be able to do it again better than we have been. That's on coaching. I don't expect them to beat the world with the guys in the front seven, I just expect them to play within the minimum definition of a cohesive defensive unit.

It's not even scheme or the calls. It's the inability to get this group to play sound football. The defensive coordinator and other defensive positional coaches are the ones who need to implement those details, and it isn't happening. They wouldn't be consistently regressing otherwise.
I'm not against a change at DC.. I just think it's more complicated then what most are saying... it's multiple issues and some of it is on Hurtt but not all of it. I rewatched the game today and Bush was nothing short of horrible in keeping gap integrity. The Hawks were over pursuing run plays... not putting them selves in good tackling position. This D has been very inconsistant all year... early on it looked like they were ok vs the run.
Then they lost Nwosu and for some reason it all fell apart and I know it wasn't all the loss of Nwosu there were other factors as well... the other two players who had poor games vs Pitt was Woolen and Taylor.. they are horrible against the run...

Anyway not trying to take away from your point just adding what I saw.

LTH

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Yes. 100% yes.

Not necessarily on the Harbaugh point, as he has had some similar hiring issues over the years. Lot of 9-7ish seasons in the last decade for them.

But they need to hire an actual outside experienced hand here, or if they do hire a young upcomer as a first time DC, he needs to be surrounded with experience.

Todd Wash could even be a solid consideration as a DC hire. Was our DL coach under Quinn and went on to coach the Sacksonville 2017 Jags. Coached the Lions DL up before leaving to coach under Evero in Carolina along with Dom Capers. Good example of a guy with some ties here but proven success elsewhere.

Whoever it is, I just want them to have a proven track record, and for them to have that track record outside of the confines of Seattle.

flv2

Reaction score
They'll be one and done in the playoffs. Something happened to them after the 9ners embarrassed them. They definitely hadn't been the same.
Maybe they lose @ whoever wins the NFC South. Maybe not. The original issue was whether it was fair to list the Eagles as a powerful offense that contributes to the back-end of the schedule being unduly harsh. Ultimately teams don't pick the schedule and sometimes the schedule turns out to be lopsided. The back-end of the schedule was harsh but the front-end of the schedule was comparatively weak. Just my opinion. Generally that's how I would want my team's schedule to be. Get past the weak teams and then maybe some of the stronger teams will have been worn down. Either way I don't think looking at either the 1st 8 games defense or the 2nd 8 games defense is a good way to analyse the defense as a whole.