Seahawks eyeing Julio Jones *update: signed for Titans*

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
James in PA":3qle8q2y said:
While I would love to see this happen, I just don’t see HOW it gets done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is where I am too. Mind you I thought the same thing last year when the Adams rumours started. This would absolutely be a "win now, mortgage the future" move.

mistaowen

Reaction score
If this happens the entire offensively philosophy has to become more modernized. We can't justify that kind of investment to WR and still look to be a ball control, run first team. I know the numbers skewed a bit this year due to the first 8 weeks but at the moment of struggle Pete pulled the plug on that style and went conservative. This needs to be a team looking to score early and often.

That said, if this somehow could happen, Julio would be an absolute monster with a QB like Russ. How do you defend 2 gigantic outside WR's who can out-muscle/outrun any CB in the NFL without doubling and giving Lockett 1 on 1 coverage all game over the middle.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
mistaowen":1nmnx10v said:
If this happens the entire offensively philosophy has to become more modernized. We can't justify that kind of investment to WR and still look to be a ball control, run first team. I know the numbers skewed a bit this year due to the first 8 weeks but at the moment of struggle Pete pulled the plug on that style and went conservative. This needs to be a team looking to score early and often.

That said, if this somehow could happen, Julio would be an absolute monster with a QB like Russ. How do you defend 2 gigantic outside WR's who can out-muscle/outrun any CB in the NFL without doubling and giving Lockett 1 on 1 coverage all game over the middle.

He really didn't go that conservative. They were still well within the top half of the league in terms of pass/run split.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It's said Atlanta wants a first-round pick for him.

Question, how many first round picks do we have and is it worth it.

Further how much cap do we actually have?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":10ndqtvw said:
I don't like it.

Julio would be a new toy for Russell and Shane Waldron but playing with the new toy would be shared with other toys... DK, Tyler, Eskridge and Gerald Everett.

A new toy might be nice but Julio's salary and the draft capital to secure him isn't commensurate for a 32-year old five years removed former All Pro WR.
No pro bowl in 5 years?Injured a lot the last few?He is past his prime for sure.
We don't need him and Russ doesn't need another diva to be pissed when he
can't see him open fast enough.
This is one big easy pass..We have other needs and WR is one of the least.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":i97fwfuh said:
onanygivensunday":i97fwfuh said:
I don't like it.

Julio would be a new toy for Russell and Shane Waldron but playing with the new toy would be shared with other toys... DK, Tyler, Eskridge and Gerald Everett.

A new toy might be nice but Julio's salary and the draft capital to secure him isn't commensurate for a 32-year old five years removed former All Pro WR.
No pro bowl in 5 years?Injured a lot the last few?He is past his prime for sure.

While I'm not a fan of this move for the durability concerns, Julio was a Pro Bowler from 2014-2019. His yardage total each of those seasons was more than any Seahawk has had in the history of the franchise. He hasn't been a first team All-Pro since 2016.

Jville

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1e1ua2eu said:
IndyHawk":1e1ua2eu said:
onanygivensunday":1e1ua2eu said:
I don't like it.

While I'm not a fan of this move for the durability concerns, Julio was a Pro Bowler from 2014-2019. His yardage total each of those seasons was more than any Seahawk has had in the history of the franchise. He hasn't been a first team All-Pro since 2016.

But what kind of toy? It seems to me that it comes down to what receiver attributes a quarterback prefers and who he wants to throw to. After all, it's the quarterback on the field that is running the offense at the snap of the ball. There is only so much an offensive coordinator can do from the sideline or booth when the guy on the field has the final say. Can Shane Waldron sell something in the way of new offensive wrinkles?

As a roster addition, I would think Eskridge can better mirror improvisation. And in retrospect, I thought Doug Baldwin was a receiver that quickly learned to became very good at mirroring quarter back improvisation. We've heard previous staffs recycle talk about rhythm and tempo in the past. But, improvisation was been the homing tendency during this ongoing era.

So assuming everyone at the VMAC is on the same page, what receiver attributes are they actually looking for in June?

Fade

Reaction score
Paid Lockett, need to extend DK next off-season, down a 1st rd pick in 2022, need a LT in 2022, don't see this happening.

I'd rather trade for an O-Lineman or a D-Lineman, get stronger in the trenches.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":mqnih27l said:
IndyHawk":mqnih27l said:
onanygivensunday":mqnih27l said:
I don't like it.

Was and hasn't been since and 32 yrs old that should be enough right there to say no.

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":2bxwi6kg said:
Paid Lockett, need to extend DK next off-season, down a 1st rd pick in 2022, need a LT in 2022, don't see this happening.

I agree with Fade but dang... How do you defend that jones , Lockett and DK? That's brutal to say the least

LTH

kf3339

Reaction score
Fade":2u1qhgv4 said:

Agreed. We took our new WR3 with our 2nd round pick in this last draft. If we had taken Creed Humphrey I would be all over this trade for Jones. But since we didn't strengthen the trenches is the way to go.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Jones is a stud.

But he wouldn't put up near the same #s here. This would be the Jimmy Graham trade all over again.

Trading for some great offensive player, then refusing to use him properly to maximize his ability to help us win.

It wouldn't be a nightmare, Jimmy did some good stuff here too, but it would be costly & produce nowhere near the anticipated outcome.

As for how you would defend DK, Jones, and Lockett? Easy.

Just wait for the 2nd half of the season or the playoffs, as Carroll ignores all his great offensive weapons to try to force a running game. Even on downs Carson isn't in, with guys like Homer and whatshisname. (And I like Homer but as a blocking back or for short yardage completions - but not a threat to run the ball).

Trading for Jones makes no sense because our very next move would be to try to focus on a run-heavy offense(or just using the run as the primary driver for the offense, even when we are not run heavy).

Jones would also be a bit crazy to even want to come here. Sure we would make the playoffs, but since we wouldn't win a divisional game there are plenty of other teams with much more upside he could make a bigger difference for.

Why would he even want to go to a team that would only use him 1/2 or 1/3 as much as he could be used? (Assuming he would make the same amount no matter where he went).

massari

Reaction score
Would they really get a 1st for 32 year old Julio when the Texans couldn't get more than a 2nd+absorbing David Johnson's contract for a 27 year old DeAndre Hopkins. Julio does have a far better contract though.

Adams for Julio+1st.

No way the Hawks give up a 1st or 2nd after drafting Eskridge, signed Johnson+Terry, and are already without a 1st in 2022 for the second straight year.

Rat

Reaction score
massari":1eheorvz said:
Would they really get a 1st for 32 year old Julio when the Texans couldn't get more than a 2nd+absorbing David Johnson's contract for a 27 year old DeAndre Hopkins. Julio does have a far better contract though.

The Texans shouldn't be used as a measuring stick for anything.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Spohawks":1zo1vnok said:
After this last draft and living through it, what is giving up a 2nd rounder...almost nothing. 2nd rounders are an absolute crap shoot
It's completely true that 2nd rounders have enormous variance but that applies in both directions. Sure they could be busts but they could also be all-pros; remember that DK Metcalf was a 2nd rounder just two seasons ago. A second round draft pick is an extremely valuable asset.

The best way to hit on young talent like the Hawks have done in the past is to have a lot of draft capital because of how uncertain it is. Trading away picks hurts us multiple years down the road whereas we are only gaining very minor increases in Super Bowl odds in the present.

Given our current roster, it's not even clear to me that Julio Jones would be the best way to spend money if he was available in free agency.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Who wouldn't want a Julio Jones playing alongside DK and Lockett? And no way is Atlanta getting a 1st round pick for a 32-year old receiver with a big contract, and who everyone knows has no intention of playing for the Falcons next season.

All that said, he's a luxury we can't afford. If we gave up next year's 2nd rounder for him, now all of a sudden we're without any picks in next years draft until the 4th round. That's basically two wasted drafts that netted you very little. This team will get old very quickly with no one being groomed to take over at key positions, like LT or CB just to name a couple.

It's fun to think about what a nightmare it would be for opposing defenses, but I would be very surprised if they did this.

massari

Reaction score
Fade":2v5y0zim said:
need a LT in 2022.
Duane Brown is their Andrew Whitworth. Still a few more years left in the tank. :pray:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Even if you think Jones is a good fit scheme and personnel wise (which I'm not convinced of), his 15M salary with only 7M of cap space and giving up more picks of which we barely have any to begin with says not going to happen.

But I'm sure Atlanta is floating all the rumors they can to drive up the price.

When has there ever been a big named player on the trade block or in free agency that the media hasn't said the Hawk's were interested in?