Seahawks eyeing Julio Jones *update: signed for Titans*

AgentDib

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but I do think Forsythe has serious upside at the LT position. I wouldn't normally put that much stock on a sixth round pick but there are a few unusual factors around him.

His film at Florida was better in pass protection than in run blocking, and he was one of the best pass protecting LTs in college in his final season. His length largely explains the discrepancy between his play and his draft position, and if he never develops into a plus power run blocker that isn't going to be a huge issue at LT for this team. Hevesy (Gators OL coach) spoke very highly about his football intelligence and leadership on the field, and TDN rated him as a future starting tackle that could use a year of development.

Jville

Reaction score
AgentDib":1uq1pbn4 said:
Slightly off topic, but I do think Forsythe has serious upside at the LT position. I wouldn't normally put that much stock on a sixth round pick but there are a few unusual factors around him.

His film at Florida was better in pass protection than in run blocking, and he was one of the best pass protecting LTs in college in his final season. His length largely explains the discrepancy between his play and his draft position, and if he never develops into a plus power run blocker that isn't going to be a huge issue at LT for this team. Hevesy (Gators OL coach) spoke very highly about his football intelligence and leadership on the field, and TDN rated him as a future starting tackle that could use a year of development.

I enjoy and look for your posts. But, that's slightly more than slightly off topic. I understand though and appreciate your thoughts. I'd like to see meaningful threads on the subject of the offensive line. But, dot net history on the subject has been a huge disappointment. It's a shame we can't have civil and useful discussions about the offensive line. I've long since given up. If anyone wants to try, good luck and best wishes.

On another slightly off topic question inspired by the Julio Jones frenzy, why the infatuation with once core brand name players whose production has declined and who no longer can justify their existing contract? Is it another example of a problem with the general public's inability to connect the dots? Is it a case of fans stuck in the past?

massari

Reaction score
Jville":w3bct1nd said:
On another slightly off topic question inspired by the Julio Jones situation, why the frenzy over once core brand name players whose production has declined and who no longer can justify their existing contract? Is it another example of a problem with the general public's inability to connect the dots? Is it a case of fans stuck in the past?
Other than missing 7 games, his production hasn't declined at all as he was on pace for about 1400 yards, 100 rec on 140 targets, 15.1 avg.

His contract is a bargain if he passes a physical and can stay healthy.

2021 $15M
2022 $11.5M
2023 $11.5M

misfit

Reaction score
massari":cmmxd32l said:
Would they really get a 1st for 32 year old Julio when the Texans couldn't get more than a 2nd+absorbing David Johnson's contract for a 27 year old DeAndre Hopkins. Julio does have a far better contract though.

Adams for Julio+1st.

No way the Hawks give up a 1st or 2nd after drafting Eskridge, signed Johnson+Terry, and are already without a 1st in 2022 for the second straight year.

I'd trade Wagz 10/10 time for Julio before Adams

Jville

Reaction score
massari":3l2megwr said:
Jville":3l2megwr said:
On another slightly off topic question inspired by the Julio Jones situation, why the frenzy over once core brand name players whose production has declined and who no longer can justify their existing contract? Is it another example of a problem with the general public's inability to connect the dots? Is it a case of fans stuck in the past?
Other than missing 7 games, his production hasn't declined at all as he was on pace for about 1400 yards, 100 rec on 140 targets, 15.1 avg.

2021 $15M
2022 $11.5M
2023 $11.5M

Thanks for sharing your informative perspective.

It's the "ifs" on a 32 going on 33 receiver joining an unfamiliar offense with an unfamiliar quarterback that presents the additional risk to any team he might go to. His fit on another team is going to be different than what he experienced as the lead receiver in Atlanta. His resulting production will also be different. As I understand it, the Falcons are now asking for a non - conditional second round pick. In the Falcon's eyes his value is dropping and they want nothing to do with providing future performance consideration.

As I recall from past years, we are now entering into a phase in free agency where veteran values fall.

Own The West

Reaction score
I can't think of a scenario where Jones makes sense.

Are you going to bench Metcalf or Lockett to bring him in? Or run every play out of 11 personnel?

You just extended 28 year old Lockett for the prime of career. Are you going to cap-strap yourself for 32 year old Jones in his declining years?

Also, we're going to have a bunch of contracts come up next year, so we need to save as much cap as we can this year to maintain our core. As is we're going to probably say good bye to some fan favorites. I'd rather keep Brown, Adams, Reed, Dissly and Everett than risk losing one while we try to shoehorn in a player who is going to quickly become a cap liability.

Lastly, there is the opportunity cost of Eskridge not getting on the field.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
massari":2ki6zrvw said:
Jville":2ki6zrvw said:

2021 $15M
2022 $11.5M
2023 $11.5M

But you need to consider what it'd take to fit 15M into our cap, both Bobby and Russell's contracts would have to be restructured, which means you lose some of your dead cap leverage with both players next off season.

If either DK or Tyler weren't here, I'd seriously consider making a run at Jones. But IMO this seems like a luxury move to me, and not a move of great need. We're not going to the SB because we got Julio Jones.

Sure he'd probably help, but not to the extent of leveraging our cap and giving up more draft picks.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The move makes sense if you are going to put a pass-first, pass-rich offense in place to leverage your greatest strength, the QB.

But that is not a philosophy our coach can live with long-term or is even comfortable in the playoffs with.

However, it makes sense because there is reasonable angst that if we do not progress, we will not be able to keep our QB. Then again, that same angst/concern existed that he would not even re-sign with us. And he did, despite it making almost no sense at the time in every angle but finances.

We probably are not SB-bound with Julio. But the goal should just be to win a divisional playoff game and have a competitive conference game. That is doable but I doubt having or not having Julio is the reason we have not done this since the SB loss.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Feels more like it would be Jimmy Graham Part 2 more than Julius Jones.

But the results would never meet the expectations, and he wouldn't fit our coach at all.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":gtncnzad said:
Feels more like it would be Jimmy Graham Part 2 more than Julius Jones.

But the results would never meet the expectations, and he wouldn't fit our coach at all.

DK fits the coach well, why not Julio?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3m471wl5 said:
I don't think its a wise move roster-wise and don't think Seattle has the capital to get it done.

That said, this could drive the price up for the eventual suitors, which is solid process.

I've since decided that this is a dumb viewpoint. I obviously understand this argument, but at the same time, this isn't some average WR1 we're talking about. This is Julio.

If Julio is truly worth less than a first rounder currently as has been reported, it's silly not to pursue. A combination of him and DK on the outside with Lockett on the inside and Eskridge rotating in as the fourth option/taking sweepy stuff is... not guardable. Also opens up the run game because the box simply can not be stacked.

toffee

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2l2j3xrx said:
Maelstrom787":2l2j3xrx said:
I don't think its a wise move roster-wise and don't think Seattle has the capital to get it done.

That said, this could drive the price up for the eventual suitors, which is solid process.

I've since decided that this is a dumb viewpoint. I obviously understand this argument, but at the same time, this isn't some average WR1 we're talking about. This is Julio.

If Julio is truly worth less than a first rounder currently as has been reported, it's silly not to pursue. A combination of him and DK on the outside with Lockett on the inside and Eskridge rotating in as the fourth option/taking sweepy stuff is... not guardable. Also opens up the run game because the box simply can not be stacked.

One could also speculate that once the run game is opened up, it takes some heat of the OL.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd be happy to have Julio on this team. Russ would be happy, could be the best WR ever

massari

Reaction score
Julio vs Ramsey

[youtube]Eb_f8AJytxs[/youtube]

FLSeahawk

Reaction score
toffee":ycwevz23 said:
Maelstrom787":ycwevz23 said:
Maelstrom787":ycwevz23 said:

One could also speculate that once the run game is opened up, it takes some heat of the OL.

It’s not a dumb viewpoint as those are reasonable concerns regarding the use of the capital that we have available.

But I do think there is genuine interest from the front office over making this trade, not just smoke and mirrors to drive the price up.

As for what would it cost to acquire Julio Jones in a trade? That all depends on if the Seahawks can get assurances from Jones and his agent that he would play out his remaining years without demanding a new contract.

At a cost of 15.3M, 11.5M, and 11.5M over the next 3 years, we would get extreme cap value for a WR with his talent level. And if he is content with playing out that contract he’s worth every penny of a 2nd round pick in next years draft even with age and injury concerns. If the front office can’t get those assurances though, he’s not worth are only top 100 pick in next years draft.

If I was JS I would throw out this trade:

Seattle receives:
Julio Jones
Conditional 2023 3rd round pick of Atlanta if Jones isn’t on are roster Week 1 of 2022 season.

Atlanta receives:
Seattle 2022 2nd round pick
Conditional 2024 4th round pick of Seattle if Jones is on our roster Week 1 of 2023 season.

If it works out we get Julio Jones at a 12.75M over the next 3 seasons for a 2022 2nd rounder and a 2024 4th rounder.

If it doesn’t work out we get Julio Jones at 15.3M for 1 season and a 2023 3rd rounder for a 2022 2nd rounder.

I do think for it to workout we need run more of a Chiefs style offense than what we’ve traditionally run in the past but we did run 3 WR sets last year 66% of the time compared to the 73% the Chiefs ran so that’s not as drastic of a change as some might think. The only real drastic change would be using a running back that could motion out in to a WR position depending on what the defense lines up in. That’s definitely not Carson but maybe putting Eskridge back there for 5-10 plays per game could due the trick this season.

It is very tempting to think how a defense could cover DK, Lockett, Jones, Everett and Carson or DK, Lockett, Jones, Everett and Eskridge with the option to motion out of the backfield.

Could be a very dynamic offense.

Jville

Reaction score
toffee":1ve4feob said:
Maelstrom787":1ve4feob said:
Maelstrom787":1ve4feob said:

Actually, the run game allows offensive linemen to fire off with the ball and put the heat on the opposing defense. Most offensive linemen prefer to be the aggressor and attack the defense instead of all that retrograde stuff.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I think a big factor that is being missed is that Jones has said he is not going back to Atlanta.

The Falcons have zero leverage in a trade.

If its a straight up trade...Jones for a draft pick...they should be happy to get 2023's 5th rounder.

He is walking no matter what, get something or get nothing. ZERO LEVERAGE!! He is 32, He could still just retire.

I don't know his contract structure (as in do they have to pay him even if he quits) but I would be interested to know how much the draft pick will effect the % the Falcons will pay of his remaining contract.