Shaq Griffin as a DE

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I read somewhere that Ansah is on his way out of playing time because
Pete is getting fed up with getting nothing from him.
So Shaq while small is super fast and used in creative ways can bring
more than Ziggy was all season.I think the MNF game showed that but
Pete being stubborn took awhile to go to it.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that the Seahawks are going to phase out Ziggy Ansah, if not simply remove him from the lineup all together. Pete Carroll said last week that Ansah was 10 pounds away from where he needed to be and that he still hadn't regained all the strength in his shoulder.

So it wasn't a huge surprise to see Shaquem Griffin play his first defensive snaps of the season (13 to be exact) because, let's face it, he truly couldn't have been worse than Ansah. I'd still temper expectations from what Griffin can do as a pass rusher. He's vastly undersized at just 227 pounds, but the benefit of Griffin is that you get his motor. His work rate is far superior to Ansah's, and he's also better in coverage. That counts for something.

Seattle tried to rotate the two on Monday, but Ansah was quickly pulled out of the game after an egregious offsides penalty on San Francisco's final drive of regulation.

"It's really clear, more than it has been, that we might be able to build a role that could be a factor," Carroll said of Griffin on Tuesday. "We have to work at that more so just to use his speed. He's instinctively a good rusher. He's just not very big. You have to do special things with him. We'll put that together and see if we can make that a good complement to what we're doing."

Griffin is a smart football player, and it will be interesting to see what he does with the opportunity that appears to be before him.

https://sports.yahoo.com/fann-mail-zigg ... 35468.html

jammerhawk

Reaction score
sutz":2q3pluqz said:
You may have a point, but you have to wonder how long that could last once the video gets out.

Teams will just put an RB on him and that would go away. Did seem that we got much more interior pressure out of Reed and Co all night.

This later thought is what I observed, Reed, Poona, Jefferson and Woods pushed the middle all game and that pressure was causing JGQ to move in the pocket or have to reset taking away from his time to look for his receivers and was pushing him towards the edge rush. Was this by design or is this a weakness of the Digit OLine the team was able to exploit? Perhaps both possibly, or a consequence of the damage being created by Clowney who was quite unblockable. Moving speed to the opposite edge and spreading their OLine opened the middle to stunts and twists from their inside protection and made combo blocks less effective. The speed of Quem created a diversion that took away their ability to roll protection to Clowney’s side.

It was an interesting in game adjustment that was confounding the Digits ability to deal with the pressure clowney was putting on their lLT.

sutz

Reaction score
jammerhawk":22585vja said:
sutz":22585vja said:
You may have a point, but you have to wonder how long that could last once the video gets out.

Teams will just put an RB on him and that would go away. Did seem that we got much more interior pressure out of Reed and Co all night.

This later thought is what I observed, Reed, Poona, Jefferson and Woods pushed the middle all game and that pressure was causing JGQ to move in the pocket or have to reset taking away from his time to look for his receivers and was pushing him towards the edge rush. Was this by design or is this a weakness of the Digit OLine the team was able to exploit? Perhaps both possibly, or a consequence of the damage being created by Clowney who was quite unblockable. Moving speed to the opposite edge and spreading their OLine opened the middle to stunts and twists from their inside protection and made combo blocks less effective. The speed of Quem created a diversion that took away their ability to roll protection to Clowney’s side.

It was an interesting in game adjustment that was confounding the Digits ability to deal with the pressure clowney was putting on their lLT.
Given some time to coordinate with each other, that could be an effective long term strategy. Fans, and especially FF freaks tend to focus too much on sacks, and don't consider how the line needs to work together as a unit to take advantage of an O-line's weaknesses. Certainly, something needed to be done, and signing free agents can be a bit of a crap shoot, especially mid-season.

Back in the day, Rufus Porter was one of those "too light" LB's that turned into a pretty effective pass rusher. Now, he was an OLB in a 3-4 set, but using Queem in a similar role could lead to some success. Porter never topped 230# IIRC, so we're talking similar body types and speed. It worked for Chuck, it could work for Pete.

Oh, and I've noticed them dropping Clowney in coverage from time to time. Probably not a good idea.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
If Shaquem can really work on his strength and balance in the offseason, I think there might be something there. Pete is always willing to set trends and go against the grain. Maybe he can become an explosive hybrid version of Poona. Or the D-lineman version of Hunt. Using his strength and leverage to win one on one.

This is what I love about football. Anything is possible

mikeak

Reaction score
sutz":3kfzz1v9 said:

And when they do he uses his swim moves...

You use him differently based on who he is going up against.