Steelers vs Browns: TNF

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
253hawk":29kc93ag said:
It looked like Rudolph was just trying to push him away with his leg, because that's all he could do while being on his back. It wasn't a Draymond Green crotch shot.

Why is Garrett late-hitting a QB with 8 seconds left in the game while up 2 scores and taking him all the way to the ground anyway?

"Why are you hitting me in the foot with your balls!?"

Garrett probably should have jumped up and walked it off after that.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
acer1240":slyvc9vk said:
You are better than this Roland. You really are.

This is absolutely unforgivable on a football field and you know it.
I completely agree that it's unforgivable. I think he should be suspended for a year. I think those who want a lifetime ban and assault with a weapon charges are subconscious fans of victim mentality and have been somewhat sheltered in certain ways in their life.

Hell, in Texas if someone entered your home and assaulted you with an object, you could shoot and kill them to protect yourself without consequences in many scenarios. Yet, what people want in this scenario...

SMH. Honestly, this is a lot of hypocrisy. Where's the outrage at some of the politicians in WA state who have run over innocent people while drunk driving and haven't gotten any jail time? That doesn't mean Garrett should be let off the hook, but until I see less hypocrisy from most people and more putting their money where their mouths are, I'm just kind of rolling my eyes at the extreme emotional reactions on display by some people here.

Kind of reminds me of people who wanted Michael Vick to spend 20 years in prison...while they buy cheap cans of tuna that get dolphins killed. Most people are completely unaware of the double standards they allow themselves to succumb to, and I'm definitely seeing some of that here.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1smhl2ta said:
Lifetime ban? Assault? "Could have killed Rudolph"? Come on. Half the dive bars in the country have more violence than that every single Friday night, and there are rarely any consequences whatsoever. There's letter of the law, then spirit of the law.

Ban him for the next 16 games. You know how much that'll cost him? Looks like somewhere around $5m of regular salary, from a second's worth of Googling.

I was born in 1982, but I've seen plenty of games from the 60s and 70s. A lot of people clearly don't remember the violence in games from that era that happened....every week, lol.
I'm not defending Garrett in any way, but some of the reactions here are ridiculous.
Good point and true..
I remember in the 80's when a GB player picked up the Bears QB and body slammed
him.
He got messed up but there wasn't even what you see in this thread about it.

acer1240

Reaction score
I agree that there should be outrage directed elsewhere in this world, I really do Roland.

We are talking about what happened on the football field tonight though.

Assult with a weapon.

Pure and simple.

Mizak

Reaction score
They play each other again in 2 weeks.

I’m marking that one on my calendar.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I don't know what repercussions Garrett should get. I am not informed enough to make that judgment. Rudolph is not guiltless in this either, and should be penalize in some fashion. Pouncey proceeded to punch and kick Garrett after he was subdued on the ground, yet twitterverse is praising his acts of violence. All three were in the wrong and should be held accountable.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3ke7achq said:
acer1240":3ke7achq said:
You are better than this Roland. You really are.

This is absolutely unforgivable on a football field and you know it.
I completely agree that it's unforgivable. I think he should be suspended for a year. I think those who want a lifetime ban and assault with a weapon charges are subconscious fans of victim mentality and have been somewhat sheltered in certain ways in their life.

Hell, in Texas if someone entered your home and assaulted you with an object, you could shoot and kill them to protect yourself without consequences in many scenarios. Yet, what people want in this scenario...

SMH. Honestly, this is a lot of hypocrisy. Where's the outrage at some of the politicians in WA state who have run over innocent people while drunk driving and haven't gotten any jail time? That doesn't mean Garrett should be let off the hook, but until I see less hypocrisy from most people and more putting their money where their mouths are, I'm just kind of rolling my eyes at the extreme emotional reactions on display by some people here.

Kind of reminds me of people who wanted Michael Vick to spend 20 years in prison...while they buy cheap cans of tuna that get dolphins killed. Most people are completely unaware of the double standards they allow themselves to succumb to, and I'm definitely seeing some of that here.

Multiple strawmen, Roland.

This has nothing to do with powerful politicians driving drunk or dogfighting or tuna/dolphins.

Even if Rudolph tried to wrench the mask off, even if Rudolph kicked Garrett in his nuts, Garrett could have walked away instead of ADWing Rudolph. That's meeting annoyance with force that could have killed him when he no longer threatens you.

In no way is that acceptable.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Yes swinging a helmet at someone is wrong..Difference between killing someone
and "could have"..There is also a difference between being hurt and not.
Rudolph looks fine and had a hand in all this,I say suspend all equally.

chris98251

Reaction score
With the emotion of the moment in the heat of competition your really think anyone would walk away when someone tried to twist and rip your helmet off then kicked you in the nuts?

That's just bullshit.

You would just walk away if someone grabbed your wife's or girlfriends ass and tit because well your the bigger man also? It's an emotional game where people tend to react in the heat of battle, just like your wife would be an emotional situation if someone physically grabbed a part of her body.

You react, well most people react, those that are not invested in a situation would not I guess.

From what I saw this was pretty close to the Rudy Tomjonovich and Kermit Washington situation. Garret will get the heavy hitter part of the discipline, but Rudolph's initial reaction was the catalyst, but he's a QB.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3gdllqc1 said:
With the emotion of the moment in the heat of competition your really think anyone would walk away when someone tried to twist and rip your helmet off then kicked you in the nuts?

That's just $h!t.

You would just walk away if someone grabbed your wife's or girlfriends ass and tit because well your the bigger man also? It's an emotional game where people tend to react in the heat of battle, just like your wife would be an emotional situation if someone physically grabbed a part of her body.

You react, well most people react, those that are not invested in a situation would not I guess.

From what I saw this was pretty close to the Rudy Tomjonovich and Kermit Washington situation. Garret will get the heavy hitter part of the discipline, but Rudolph's initial reaction was the catalyst, but he's a QB.

No one else's tit or ass was involved here. Deliberate hit to that guy's balls is in fact debatable.

But the fact remains that Garrett shouldn't have responded by clobbering Rudolph with his own helmet. That was not for self-defense, and it was not a football move.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":6xovghpr said:
James in PA":6xovghpr said:
Did I really hear Aikman suggest that maybe Rudolph’s hand was stuck in Garret’s helmet?! LOL!!

Wouldn't be the first time the media's tried to explain away a Stealers quarterback getting body parts "accidentally" stuck in other people's business.
You sir, just won the internet for the month and maybe even all of 2019

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Did he really say that? Holy crap, I think all that plastic surgery has caught up to Troy.
Garrett should AT THE MINIMUM be suspended the rest of this year. That's assault, I don't care if it's on a football field or not. Doesn't matter if someone thinks he was justified or not. He could have killed that guy if that helmet hit him flush. Yes, killed him.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":r1fwlatm said:
Did he really say that? Holy crap, I think all that plastic surgery has caught up to Troy.
Garrett should AT THE MINIMUM be suspended the rest of this year. That's assault, I don't care if it's on a football field or not. Doesn't matter if someone thinks he was justified or not. He could have killed that guy if that helmet hit him flush. Yes, killed him.

I don't get people minimizing the use the helmet as a weapon here. You have a six pound hard object being wielded by an elite athlete who's 6'4" and over 270 pounds. If your response is "No big deal, not that dangerous" you are either being disingenuous or have a serious lack of life experience on this one.

Garrett is in deep with the NFL and he should be. Using a weapon on the field to hurt someone isn't something they can go easy on; it seems like dropping him for the rest of the season is the bare minimum. I think Rudolph needs to be punished for his actions as well, probably suspended at least a game, along with Pouncy and Ogunjobi.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I remember when the Hockey Player got 18 months for hitting a guy with his stick. This is no different. Just because Garrett didn't land a hard hit, it's still Assault, felony level. I don't give a rip if he's a football player or not. He CHOSE to use a helmet as a weapon. And he flat out was TRYING to crush the QB's head with it.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2o7n8wzy said:
I remember when the Hockey Player got 18 months for hitting a guy with his stick. This is no different. Just because Garrett didn't land a hard hit, it's still Assault, felony level. I don't give a rip if he's a football player or not. He CHOSE to use a helmet as a weapon. And he flat out was TRYING to crush the QB's head with it.

This is a very similar situation to a hockey player using his stick as a weapon , and like I said above, it’s pure luck that Garrett had the helmet in his hand as he did. The whack would have been just as forceful if the helmet was in his hand with crown facing down. Garrett had no clue how he was holding the helmet, nor did he care.

I also likened it to a BB player rushing the mound and clubbing the pitcher with his bat.

This without doubt was assault with a weapon and frankly I’m surprised that ANYONE is willing to argue it’s not.

As for punishment?

I’ve had time to think with a clearer mind (less emotional).

First and foremost:
The NFL must maintain a zero tolerance policy on this type of thing.
Fights and scuffles are going to happen, no way to prevent them.
Using the helmet as a weapon (or the use of any “weapon”) is where I’m making the distinction here. Picking up a Gatorade jug and swinging would be another example of using a weapon.
The NFL should set a “standard/example” here and now.
I back away from a lifetime ban but fully support a suspension that included the balance of this season AND the entire next season.

In order to help set the standard I do believe that a criminal charge should be included. I’d like to see a criminal charge imposed with record of charges cleared following the successful completion of anger management program. I don’t think that Garrett should have to “serve time” but I think the standard needs to be set, the line in the sand needs to be drawn.
In my opinion the “criminal charge” aspect is much more about setting the standard than it is about “punishment”. The NFL must set the zero tolerance in stone. Whatever happens needs to send a strong message, one that can’t be misunderstood to the rest of the NFL for generations to come.

I’m fully aware that Garrett wasn’t the only guilty one in this but he is the only one that chose to use a weapon in the scrum.
The teams and the NFL will figure out how to handle the others and none of that truly makes much difference moving forward.

It’s the “assault with a weapon” that needs to be addressed with firm quickness. That behavior can not be tolerated.
Mistakes and poor decisions happen in the heat of a moment but NFL players need to know that if they “lose it” there will be severe consequences.

Younger people watching football need to know without doubt that stuff like this can’t happen.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Probably everyone involved at all in this should at least be suspended for a game when they play each other again week-after-next. That's too soon for grudges to settle down. If it leaves the stealers without a QB, well boo hoo.

HawkGA

Reaction score
MrThortan":cj9x9voe said:
I don't know what repercussions Garrett should get. I am not informed enough to make that judgment. Rudolph is not guiltless in this either, and should be penalize in some fashion. Pouncey proceeded to punch and kick Garrett after he was subdued on the ground, yet twitterverse is praising his acts of violence. All three were in the wrong and should be held accountable.

I disagree. I won't be surprised if there are penalties for Pouncey. I would be shocked if Rudolph got any considering he was largely the victim. He's not necessarily a completely innocent victim as he was trying to take Garrett's helmet, but that all came AFTER Garrett body slammed him well after he'd gotten rid of the ball and continued to try to drive him into the ground. It was 110% instigated by Garrett and I don't think anybody on the Browns should be punished.

Osprey

Reaction score
Garrett - remainder of the season
He's a star, no way they derail his career by taking away next season too

Pouncy - 2 games
Can't be punching and kicking regardless of the situation

DeCastro - 1 game
Normally I'd say no suspension, but looks bad holding Garrett down while Pouncy pounds and kicks plus the body slam.

Ogunjobi - 1 game or possibly just a fine
Again, normally I'd say no suspension, but cheap shotting had the potential to escalate the scrum into a full scale rumble.

Rudolph - 1 game
Chance that he gets the victim treatment and goes scot free, but he did start the whole thing by tearing at Garrett's helmet. At its root it's a player safety issue, I'm surprised Garrett's helmet didn't come off.