Steelers vs Browns: TNF

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFLfootballinfo/status/1195383502113509378/photo/1[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/NFLfootballinfo/sta ... 78/photo/1

Garrett suspended indefinitely, must reapply w/commissioner next season
Pouncey--three games
Ogunjobi--one game

Fines possible for other players including those who left bench to enter the "fight area"--no names involved

Steelers and Browns organizations each fined $250K

samwize77

Reaction score
pmedic920":1ursgyxv said:
SoulfishHawk":1ursgyxv said:
I remember when the Hockey Player got 18 months for hitting a guy with his stick. This is no different. Just because Garrett didn't land a hard hit, it's still Assault, felony level. I don't give a rip if he's a football player or not. He CHOSE to use a helmet as a weapon. And he flat out was TRYING to crush the QB's head with it.

This is a very similar situation to a hockey player using his stick as a weapon , and like I said above, it’s pure luck that Garrett had the helmet in his hand as he did. The whack would have been just as forceful if the helmet was in his hand with crown facing down. Garrett had no clue how he was holding the helmet, nor did he care.

I also likened it to a BB player rushing the mound and clubbing the pitcher with his bat.

This without doubt was assault with a weapon and frankly I’m surprised that ANYONE is willing to argue it’s not.

As for punishment?

I’ve had time to think with a clearer mind (less emotional).

First and foremost:
The NFL must maintain a zero tolerance policy on this type of thing.
Fights and scuffles are going to happen, no way to prevent them.
Using the helmet as a weapon (or the use of any “weapon”) is where I’m making the distinction here. Picking up a Gatorade jug and swinging would be another example of using a weapon.
The NFL should set a “standard/example” here and now.
I back away from a lifetime ban but fully support a suspension that included the balance of this season AND the entire next season.

In order to help set the standard I do believe that a criminal charge should be included. I’d like to see a criminal charge imposed with record of charges cleared following the successful completion of anger management program. I don’t think that Garrett should have to “serve time” but I think the standard needs to be set, the line in the sand needs to be drawn.
In my opinion the “criminal charge” aspect is much more about setting the standard than it is about “punishment”. The NFL must set the zero tolerance in stone. Whatever happens needs to send a strong message, one that can’t be misunderstood to the rest of the NFL for generations to come.

I’m fully aware that Garrett wasn’t the only guilty one in this but he is the only one that chose to use a weapon in the scrum.
The teams and the NFL will figure out how to handle the others and none of that truly makes much difference moving forward.

It’s the “assault with a weapon” that needs to be addressed with firm quickness. That behavior can not be tolerated.
Mistakes and poor decisions happen in the heat of a moment but NFL players need to know that if they “lose it” there will be severe consequences.

Younger people watching football need to know without doubt that stuff like this can’t happen.

Agree'd!!

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
ESPN story here: https://web.archive.org/web/20191115171 ... s-steelers

"Rudolph has been banned for the remainder of the regular season and postseason, the NFL said. He also must meet with the commissioner's office prior to being reinstated next season."

...They meant Garrett. They need proofreaders/editors before sending news stories out.

chris98251

Reaction score
Rudolph instigated it, was trying to remove and twist Garrets helmet kick him in the nutsack but hey he's their QB, nothing.

If nothing else I now know who I don't want with me walking thru Pioneer square or Belletown on this board.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I blame Rudolph. If he would have worn his regular helmet, Garrett would have had nothing to hang onto.

QNQH6TVZYZGZHPO42VR65YTNYE

justafan

Reaction score
James in PA":1ylw9wh2 said:
Wow, the end of that game was AMATEUR HOUR! Pouncey kicking like a total B****! But nothing is lower than what Garrett did! Sit that clown the rest of the year and give him the biggest fine in NFL history!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats exactly how I want our offensive lineman to act when our QB gets cheapshots. Next time Wilson gets hit on a slide I would love to see one of our lineman let teams know its not happening.

As far as Garrett, in the 70s they would have had him on NFL films with Mean Joe,Alzado and all the crazies with the iconic NFL music in the backdrop. Now days he should be gone the rest of the season at the very least. Browns are junk and have been for decades.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
pmedic920":27lw3ulh said:
As for punishment?

First and foremost:
Using the helmet as a weapon (or the use of any “weapon”) is where I’m making the distinction here. Picking up a Gatorade jug and swinging would be another example of using a weapon.
I back away from a lifetime ban but fully support a suspension that included the balance of this season AND the entire next season.
Not to be an ass, but I told you so last night that several of you were having emotional overreactions. ;) Good on you for owning up to it, though.

I would be down for a suspension that lasts through all of next season, as well. However, in the real world when it comes to felonious assault, the other person instigating it also comes into play. I'm glad to see that Rudolph just got hit with a ban for the rest of the season, as well. I'll have to ponder if he deserves something more than that or not, though.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
chris98251":1s8akmsx said:
Rudolph instigated it, was trying to remove and twist Garrets helmet kick him in the nutsack but hey he's their QB, nothing.

If nothing else I now know who I don't want with me walking thru Pioneer square or Belletown on this board.

You absolutely sure that Rudolph was the instigator?
Is it possible that he was reacting to the late unnecessary force of the initial hit, and being held to ground by Garrett’s body weight for an unnecessary length of time?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
pmedic920":111pk1tz said:
chris98251":111pk1tz said:

Is it possible that he was reacting to the late unnecessary force of the initial hit, and being held to ground by Garrett’s body weight for an unnecessary length of time?
It was a delayed decision/announcement, but Rudolph just got banned for the rest of the year, too - so yeah, I'd say that's proof of his involvement, lol.

253hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3fry3sfh said:

If you hit a QB that late and start extracurricular crap on the ground, you can expect a little retaliation, I don't care who the QB is. Rudolph 'kicked' (re: shoved with his foot) because Garrett had a handful of his facemask and wasn't letting go. No player in the league is going to just sit there and be manhandled like that. Kicking in the lower leg isn't going to do anything, a thigh shot would just glance off, and you're not going to generate any leverage above the waist. He went for surface area, which just happened to be the crotch area. That's the only available target when you're on your back, unless you're some pro fighter than can immobilize the knee from that position.

What else did Garrett do this season...

Week 1: Punched Delanie Walker after whistle

Week 2: Ended Trevor Siemian's season on late hit (flagged twice in that game for roughing the passer)

And what BS did he spew 2 months ago when being called out as a dirty player?

"I know who I am and the guys within these walls know who I am and that's not me. I'm not going to do anything to try and hurt this team or take out any player outside the rule book. I'm just going to keep playing this game the way it's supposed to be played and that's violently but passionately. You don't want to put anybody out for the season. It's their job and it's something that you don't do unless you love it, and you don't want to take that away from anybody.

I hate the Steelers as much as anyone, but the only mistake Rudolph made was when he charged back towards Garrett after they had been split up, but that is by no means whatsoever grounds for being assaulted with a weapon.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2bp9o7gh said:
pmedic920":2bp9o7gh said:
As for punishment?

First and foremost:
Not to be an ass, but I told you so last night that several of you were having emotional overreactions. ;) Good on you for owning up to it, though.

I would be down for a suspension that lasts through all of next season, as well. However, in the real world when it comes to felonious assault, the other person instigating it also comes into play. I'm glad to see that Rudolph just got hit with a ban for the rest of the season, as well. I'll have to ponder if he deserves something more than that or not, though.

Well in 100% honestly, my real concern at this point is, the NFL taking measures to ensure this never happens again.
Obviously that’s impossible but they absolutely can draw the line with punishment that will set a standard, be harsh enough that no player will ever cross the line.

I don’t really care what they do to these players as long as the rest of the league and future generations get the point.

Zero tolerance, cross the line and your career is over.

I love Football, it’s really the only Pro sport I care anything about.

The NFL has taken too many black eyes recently, enough is enough.

These guys are “professionals” they should be “professional” on and off the field, and screw anyone that says “but they are humans first”.
I get it,people make mistakes, I’ve made more than my share. So be it, maybe they can and will make mistakes but we all suffer consequences of our actions/mistakes.
Mistakes of this nature should disqualify a dude from being a “professional” NFL player.

I say draw the line now, and offer no second chances.

Assault with a weapon has no place on the stage that a NFL game is.

kidhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":s0dxmh5j said:
pmedic920":s0dxmh5j said:
chris98251":s0dxmh5j said:

It was a delayed decision/announcement, but Rudolph just got banned for the rest of the year, too - so yeah, I'd say that's proof of his involvement, lol.

Where are you seeing that Mason Rudolph was banned for the year? Everything I've seen says they expect no more than a large fine for his involvement.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Rudolph needed his helmet to finish the game. As you saw, NY demanded that they did even after they kneeled and tried to walk off in disgust early.

But yeah, I think Rudolph demands at least one suspended game for what he did on the ground, messing with Garrett's helmet himself.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I can't believe some of the people defending Garrett. So I guess you guys would say Jose` Offerman was wrongly accused of assault back in 2007, right? But it happened during "the heat of the game"... But the pitcher had "instigated" by throwing at him... :roll:

If it's ok to swing a helmet and hit someone in the head, then it's ok to swing a bat, right? As long as it's during a game...

Hit by a
fastball, Offerman charged the mound with his bat and swung at
least twice, striking the opposing pitcher and catcher.

Offerman, playing for the Long Island Ducks, was arrested on
assault charges. The independent Atlantic League suspended him
indefinitely Wednesday and expected to make a final decision by the
end of the week.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=2975386

Bottom line is, if you use a piece of equipment in ANY sport as a weapon to attack someone with, it is assault. Period. I'm not saying ban him for life or lock him up for 10 years on felony assault, but Myles Garrett should be charged with misdemeanor assault. Honestly, that could be the best thing for him to get over his clear anger management issues. There would likely be anger management classes mandated, which it looks like he clearly needs.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
ESPN misreported that Rudolph was out for the season here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20191115171 ... s-steelers

That's an archive of the time it was taken (I believe it is London time). But now if you see the original link, it says something totally different:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/280 ... 3-game-ban

Corrections used to get made in old-school newspapers, but now no one bothers. Flushed down the memory hole unless you archive it. Which you can by going to web.archive.org and navigating to the right to "save page now."

Archives can't be faked the way screenshots can, but companies increasingly are finding ways around them.