The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Maulbert

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":34cla8a5 said:
HawkinNY":34cla8a5 said:
Shanegotyou11":34cla8a5 said:
Still 3 back of boston for last WC. However i think tb, yanks and redsox beat up each other. I think its us or Oak.
Oak is playing like crap. So hopefully the yanks sweep them. Boston is due to have a bad run. Maybe like a 3-7 last ten. If the M’s keep winning series they have a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As a M’s fan I’m so desperate for even a playoff game.
I’ll take a one and done at this point.

Red Sox are on pace for 91 wins. Oakland is heading for 89. I think the Mariners need to finish 23-12 or better to have a legit shot at the playoffs. Since their low water mark at 21-26, the Mariners have gone 48-32. That pace is good enough for a 21-14 record in the last 35 games, or 90 wins.

It's going to be tight, provided they don't go in the tank down the stretch.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Maulbert":272745yp said:
Sports Hernia":272745yp said:
HawkinNY":272745yp said:
Shanegotyou11":272745yp said:
Still 3 back of boston for last WC. However i think tb, yanks and redsox beat up each other. I think its us or Oak.
Oak is playing like crap. So hopefully the yanks sweep them. Boston is due to have a bad run. Maybe like a 3-7 last ten. If the M’s keep winning series they have a shot.

Red Sox are on pace for 91 wins. Oakland is heading for 89. I think the Mariners need to finish 23-12 or better to have a legit shot at the playoffs. Since their low water mark at 21-26, the Mariners have gone 48-32. That pace is good enough for a 21-14 record in the last 35 games, or 90 wins.

It's going to be tight, provided they don't go in the tank down the stretch.

Oakland is so bad vs teams with winning records. They are 28 and 40.
Boston and Seattle are two wins over .500.
Seattle is 9 and 4 vs Oakland and 4 and 9 vs houston.
Oakland is 4 and 9 vs houston and Seattle.
Oakland has a tougher schedule remaining.

I think boston falls off due to Yanks and TB. I would prefer Yanks to overtake TB.
I would agree that 90 to 92 wins get the 2nd WC.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2pn1m7lo said:
HawkinNY":2pn1m7lo said:
Shanegotyou11":2pn1m7lo said:

Same. Im rooting the Yanks win the AL East. That way if Ms make it, itd most likely be TB.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We need to take at least three of four from KC. Oakland is playing the Yanks, got to root for the Yanks here. I think we pass up Oakland pretty soon, possibly by this weekend. Not sure we can catch Boston but we will see.

Kikuchi needs to come to play today. Also sounds like Kyle Lewis will be back soon. M’s also picked up the old A’s closer Sean Doolittle.

sutz

Reaction score
Good Kooch for 5 innings, then the wheels come off. :34853_doh:

Hitters left a lot of runs on the bases early. Loaded them up twice, came away with 1 run. :34853_doh:

Looks like we're putting something together here in the 6th. :snack:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah weird game. Mariners left a ton of runs on the field. KC made some nice plays in the field too.

I’m all for letting Kikuchi walk, he’s been awful the second half of the season. His entire career with us has been underwhelming. He has ace potential, just not sure he is worth investing in.

Classic Mariners there. Just when everyone gets excited they drop a game to a bad KC team. Knowing the Mariners, they probably lose this series and then somehow take the series against Houston.

Threedee

Reaction score
When a team offers you a gift, take it. Looks as though the bad karma accrued from stranding as many people on base as you can fit still crushes teams who tempt fate.

sutz

Reaction score
Promising start, underwhelming finish. :34853_doh:

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Ruminator":2d2infte said:
Ms load the bases but score nothing, and do it again a couple innings later. HOW FUN!!!

They love blown opportunities.
Kelenic has stuck out 3 times in last 2 games with bases loaded

Threedee

Reaction score
Seriously, no other MLB franchise has more to be humble about than the Mariners. We could possibly extend the comparison into the other leagues. Yet, the Royals have handed the M's both games on a silver platter, and Seattle throws it back in their faces like it's an ugly sweater. By the time KC arrives back home, their faces are going to be broken as ****. You're the worst franchise in baseball–learn some effing humility!

Ruminator

Reaction score
Pretty rotten time to have a couple of "dammit!" games if you hoped to get a taste of post-season baseball. Squandering huge scoring opportunities not just once or twice, but multiple times, is a clear indication the Ms offense is still at least a couple pieces away from becoming a true contender. Good thing we have a few promising hitters playing well in the minors. And suddenly, what I thought was supposed to be a position of strength is suddenly looking very mediocre: pitching.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Ruminator":33pdqjur said:
Pretty rotten time to have a couple of "dammit!" games if you hoped to get a taste of post-season baseball. Squandering huge scoring opportunities not just once or twice, but multiple times, is a clear indication the Ms offense is still at least a couple pieces away from becoming a true contender. Good thing we have a few promising hitters playing well in the minors. And suddenly, what I thought was supposed to be a position of strength is suddenly looking very mediocre: pitching.
They are pretty much done at this point unless they go on an impressive winning streak.
Don’t have a consistent offense, and the starting pitching isn’t strong enough yet.
The offense gives away way too many AB’s and strikes out way too much.
JK, Seager and Toro had some awful strikeouts at bad times yesterday.

Seager had an AB where he swung at a pitch that almost hit him, took strike 2 looking that was center cut right down the middle and then chased the next pitch that was outside. So he swung at the balls that were way off the plate and took the meatball down the middle he should have swung at.

A lot of the batters general hitting approaches are horrible.

sutz

Reaction score
These two losses are even more disappointing than the blowout losses to the 'Stros, IMHO.

My head is finally winning out over my heart on Seager. His typical at bat seems to be: stare at a BP fastball down the pipe, swing wildly at something not even close, and pulling a ground ball into the shift. Sure he has 30 dingers, yay, but nobody with his years of experience should hit at less than .220. At least JK can fall back on the rookie excuse.

We really do have too many hitters below the Mendoza line in our lineup, and it doesn't seem to be improving.

Frustrating.

Threedee

Reaction score
Every season (especially 2014, when they missed out by a single game, which also cost Felix a Cy Young), I lament the Mariners not making the playoffs. Then I watch the postseason games, and the level of play is so much higher than anything I will have seen out of Seattle all season, that I just shrug.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Loser franchise doing what a loser franchise does. What a joke, no excuse to drop three in a row to a weak team.

Latest posts