The 49ers Really Botched The QB Spot This Year

chris98251

Reaction score
Marvin49":vngwvgkd said:
chris98251":vngwvgkd said:
Marvin49":vngwvgkd said:
ArlosSpecial":vngwvgkd said:
You can’t call the man a bust without at least giving him a fair shake to prove himself. All we can go by is the small sample size we’ve seen in preseason. He looked decent athletically but the balls need more arch and precision but that’s what preseason is all about, now it’s my understanding he’s got a chipped thumb already that can’t be a good sign. Between grip, follow through and touch as well as throwing a catchable spiral in stride is what you try to get. Even Russ turns in some bad games but he can still make all of the throws you need from your starter. I don’t even want to get into schemes I’m talking throwing mechanics

1) Its actually his index finger. Unblocked blitzing LB hit him while throwing.

2) He does rocket the ball, but there are a few throws that he put some touch on...the one to Sherfield along the sideline vs the Chargers stands out the most.

I honestly don't know what is gonna happen so I'm far from advertising him as the next great QB in the NFL.

I just think this entire thread is funny. Much more HOPE he is a bust than actual indication he's a bust. Even from a previous poster talking about "turnover worthy" plays etc. I didn't see any indication there about DROPS. Again, 9 drops the entire season in 2019. 10 in the preseason alone.

He certainly made some mistakes out there so I am not saying he didn't, but he also threw 3 TDs, 2 in impressive fashion, ran in another and scored on a 2 pt conversion before it was called back. Several of the drops would have been drive extending 1st downs and one was a TD.

Dude has work to do, but if there are people who "don't see it", I'd submit its because they don't want to see it.

Elway and Farve both had cannons and were slammed for lack of touch, they figured it out. Both threw so hard it could break fingers catching the ball which they did many times early on and in College.

The "Elway Cross". I remember.

Yeah and he did it on purpose.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
chris98251":2hcrakrz said:
Marvin49":2hcrakrz said:
chris98251":2hcrakrz said:
Marvin49":2hcrakrz said:
1) Its actually his index finger. Unblocked blitzing LB hit him while throwing.

2) He does rocket the ball, but there are a few throws that he put some touch on...the one to Sherfield along the sideline vs the Chargers stands out the most.

I honestly don't know what is gonna happen so I'm far from advertising him as the next great QB in the NFL.

I just think this entire thread is funny. Much more HOPE he is a bust than actual indication he's a bust. Even from a previous poster talking about "turnover worthy" plays etc. I didn't see any indication there about DROPS. Again, 9 drops the entire season in 2019. 10 in the preseason alone.

He certainly made some mistakes out there so I am not saying he didn't, but he also threw 3 TDs, 2 in impressive fashion, ran in another and scored on a 2 pt conversion before it was called back. Several of the drops would have been drive extending 1st downs and one was a TD.

Dude has work to do, but if there are people who "don't see it", I'd submit its because they don't want to see it.

Elway and Farve both had cannons and were slammed for lack of touch, they figured it out. Both threw so hard it could break fingers catching the ball which they did many times early on and in College.

The "Elway Cross". I remember.

Yeah and he did it on purpose.

Elway killed us many many times but we walked into mile high a few times I believe with Kreig and Largent and Turner as the other wide out and Curt Warner at tailback before he blew his knee out

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
toffee":uem8vzzy said:
ArlosSpecial":uem8vzzy said:
You can’t call the man a bust without at least giving him a fair shake to prove himself. All we can go by is the small sample size we’ve seen in preseason. He looked decent athletically but the balls need more arch and precision but that’s what preseason is all about, now it’s my understanding he’s got a chipped thumb already that can’t be a good sign. Between grip, follow through and touch as well as throwing a catchable spiral in stride is what you try to get. Even Russ turns in some bad games but he can still make all of the throws you need from your starter. I don’t even want to get into schemes I’m talking throwing mechanics
I quite respect Marvin as one could debate football with him. Not like the bay area 9era forum, on webzone, they live in some different universe lol.

As for Lance, 9ers gave up 3 1st for him, that said, we gave up 2 1st for Jamal Adams. Adam has proven track record but he is a safety, his position could influence a game like a QB, right?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
Sorry Marvin if I came across a little rough guy. Can we just mash the redo button together my guy? I Appreciate it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":nkoxqr12 said:
toffee":nkoxqr12 said:
ArlosSpecial":nkoxqr12 said:
I quite respect Marvin as one could debate football with him. Not like the bay area 9era forum, on webzone, they live in some different universe lol.

As for Lance, 9ers gave up 3 1st for him, that said, we gave up 2 1st for Jamal Adams. Adam has proven track record but he is a safety, his position could influence a game like a QB, right?

Sorry Marvin if I came across a little rough guy. Can we just mash the redo button together my guy? I Appreciate it.

LOL. No worries.

Just do me a favor and never mention Trey Lance and Jamarcus Russell in the same sentence. :D

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Marvin49":18ibgyed said:
ArlosSpecial":18ibgyed said:
toffee":18ibgyed said:
ArlosSpecial":18ibgyed said:

LOL. No worries.

Just do me a favor and never mention Trey Lance and Jamarcus Russell in the same sentence. :D
Lmao fair enough. Poor analogy on my part. At the end of the day you want to see the kid succeed and bolster the rivalry. We're used to mediocre to poor quarterback play out of the Niners maybe Lance adds an element of splash plays to give Jimmy's arm a rest. lol

NINEster

Reaction score
Fade":t815i1gz said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AnnieAgar/status/1429618820801519623[/tweet]
:shock: :D :D (It's funny because it's true.)

I would like to ask 3 questions to 49ers fans.

1) Would you rather have Jimmy/Lance -or- Dalton Fields/Jones + your draft picks back? And your reasons why.

2) How do you feel about Kyle hardly giving Trey Lance any reps with the 1's in training camp?

3) Who is going to be the fall guy if this season goes horribly wrong? Kyle, Lynch, or somebody else?

I can appreciate this 30,000 foot view from a non 49er fan (although not quite a neutral observer :2thumbs: ).....

The belief I had was this was a Alex Smith/Patrick Mahomes redux in Kyle's mind. In that context, any experience Lance gets this year is good.

If Lance was supposed to be the starter all along, then Garoppolo would have been traded/released or at least outright demoted, and he would get all the #1 reps.

Lance vs. Fields IMO is more about team than outright talent. Fields is likely to start a lot sooner, seemingly more pro ready, but long term the 49er situation should be better.

I'm totally ok with the Kyle taking a swing here. I wanted either of Fields or Lance, and no part of Jones (at least with the trade up considered).

While Fade thinks of this as a disaster, I'm sure he and other Hawk fans here would think the 49ers would be p***** if they didn't do anything in the draft this year with QB. The entire media (which constantly underrates Garoppolo) seem to be liking/overrating Lance.

End of the day, there is no ultimate disaster except somehow the two QBs getting hurt this year and the 49ers having anti-2013 Seahawk type luck. Garoppolo is in his last year most likely, and if Lance isn't a top QB, so be it.

NINEster

Reaction score
It's hard to gauge the Lance pick from the Shanahan perspective.

On one hand you have a top offensive mind who understands good QB play and what he can do.

On the other hand, Shanahan is possibly overconfident/cocky/stubborn (a fair assessment at times for him, for a fair # of Niner fans)........could he feel that drafting Lance is rolling the dice, but "I'll make it work!!"? Possibly.

But then I think back to when RG3 was forced onto him and his dad, and they made that REALLY work. They didn't think anywhere near as highly of RG3 as Lance as a pure passer (hence why they drafted Cousins as well), and now they have the power, control, developed system, etc. etc. to make this choice.

Griffin never could play QB in the traditional sense. *He* wanted to prove himself early, and got exposed hard. Harder than Kaepernick even.

So much invested in the position.

It's natural to latch on to and hate. The prospects are frightening if Lance is even 75% as good as people think he will be.

I guess it's like me with Seahawk RBs. None have been like Lynch so far, and the one that is will be a nightmare for the league.

toffee

Reaction score
JimmyG just confirmed that he will start the first game. We could have a scenario where Jimmy having a career year, as a 12 I hope that won't happen, but Lance would be forced to sit for couple of years unless 9ers roll the dice and trade a red hot Jimmy. In this case of trading Jimmy, Lance better not fail, Shanahan and Lynch will go down with him.

NINEster

Reaction score
94Smith":3erypx9s said:
Why wouldn’t he be ready ? Man you guys act as if he totally sucked this preseason . He had one turnover and led 6 ? (I think) scoring drives. Heck he might even start later this year. The 49ers offense is a running offense. We don’t need Peyton Manning to be successful

No one had the balls here to knock the pick when it was made. No Lance stuff after the draft.....

Had to wait until they had something to work with. :lol:

Imagine Lance's bomb to Sherfield was made in New England, while we have boring Mac Jones........"oh look, Niners going with a Jimmy G clone, while the Patriots get the Russ clone!".

Shit like this.....this particular rivalry is why I will focus on every single god damn weakness in Wilson's game until the man is out of the league (and probably then some). Nobody shits on 49er QBs except people on this forum, so naturally the fight is hard on Wilson.

Lance will be a failed pick in the eyes of many here unless he's top 5 at the very least.

As for Wilson himself, a top 3 September to November QB, top 10 December QB, bottom half playoff QB.

At least our guys stay mediocre the whole way through. :2thumbs:

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
NINEster":2ncwr6dj said:
94Smith":2ncwr6dj said:
Why wouldn’t he be ready ? Man you guys act as if he totally sucked this preseason . He had one turnover and led 6 ? (I think) scoring drives. Heck he might even start later this year. The 49ers offense is a running offense. We don’t need Peyton Manning to be successful

No one had the balls here to knock the pick when it was made. No Lance stuff after the draft.....

Had to wait until they had something to work with. :lol:

Imagine Lance's bomb to Sherfield was made in New England, while we have boring Mac Jones.
......."oh look, Niners going with a Jimmy G clone, while the Patriots get the Russ clone!".

$h!t like this.....this particular rivalry is why I will focus on every single god damn weakness in Wilson's game until the man is out of the league (and probably then some). Nobody $h!t on 49er QBs except people on this forum, so naturally the fight is hard on Wilson.

Lance will be a failed pick in the eyes of many here unless he's top 5 at the very least.

As for Wilson himself, a top 3 September to November QB, top 10 December QB, bottom half playoff QB.

At least our guys stay mediocre the whole way through. :2thumbs:
Hmmmm I don't know about all that. Mac Jones is certainly a different type of quarterback then what you get with Trey Lance but he can make all off the big boy throws. You don't have to teach touch to Mack J baby. I see a guy in Mack J that has better arm talent than Carson Palmer in his prime which is saying a lot

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Interesting matchup for the 49ers. 49ers have a top 10 D line and the Lions have a top 5 O line. Sewell vs Bosa should make for some good football. I say the 49ers win but it won't be a blowout. Their quarterback situation holds them back this year. If Jimmy loses a few early ones I can see them throw in the towel and jockey for draft position

94Smith

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":1tmm892w said:
If Jimmy loses a few early ones I can see them throw in the towel and jockey for draft position

:34853_doh: Just for the record, what do you think the 49ers record will be this year? Why would they jockey for draft position if we don't have a first rounder. You do realize that lots of analysts are picking the 49ers to win the superbowl this year and you saying at this point that they will be jockeying for draft position is a bit contradictory, or trolling.

By the way - Seahawks 11-6 , Rams 12-5, 49ers 11-6, Cardinals 9-8

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
94Smith":1xlulpls said:
ArlosSpecial":1xlulpls said:
If Jimmy loses a few early ones I can see them throw in the towel and jockey for draft position

:34853_doh: Just for the record, what do you think the 49ers record will be this year? Why would they jockey for draft position if we don't have a first rounder. You do realize that lots of analysts are picking the 49ers to win the superbowl this year and you saying at this point that they will be jockeying for draft position is a bit contradictory, or trolling.

8 to 10 wins in the 17 game season. Their schedule is brutal down the stretch and our division games are tight I don't even have to tell you. Bosa is a beast, Armstead is hit and miss (he led the team in tackles last year) aside from that he doesn't get the sack numbers you typically want. Dee Ford is an interesting player reason I say interesting is Niner fans call him the next Reggie White but I haven't seen him play much yet since signing a ridiculous contract again by Lync lololol
There's no value in Dee Ford's contract unless he gets 40 sacks this year.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":35j57lx0 said:
94Smith":35j57lx0 said:
ArlosSpecial":35j57lx0 said:

8 to 10 wins in the 17 game season. Their schedule is brutal down the stretch and our division games are tight I don't even have to tell you. Bosa is a beast, Armstead is hit and miss (he led the team in tackles last year) aside from that he doesn't get the sack numbers you typically want. Dee Ford is an interesting player reason I say interesting is Niner fans call him the next Reggie White but I haven't seen him play much yet since signing a ridiculous contract again by Lync lololol
There's no value in Dee Ford's contract unless he gets 40 sacks this year.
Also I've seen predictions anywhere from picking us to win like 4 games and some have us winning the division as a SB contender. For 5 years straight they've picked the Hawks to finish dead last. Look at my face and ask yourself if mine as a face o cencern...... we'll see how it shakes out. I do like what we got under center though if it comes down to a play in game. Not sure I'd be super confident if Jimmy G was my quarterback. It's almost like he needs the rushing attack to succeed for his arm to work properly lol He can't shoulder the load

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Kyle Shanahan is an exceptional young coach. He's a master at masking Jimmy's deficiencies. Gropp was dead last in air yards amongst starting quarterbacks the year you went to the SB. IDK Maybe teams adjusted to the jet sweep offense and start playing you daring Jimmy to throw it. It makes it a little easier to scheme against.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
[youtube]hoV-CSv9UGY[/youtube]
PROJECT. :shock: I'd be mortified to start him, both Kurt & Kyle agree.

He left a lot out too, he has no feel for the rush and didn't bother to show any of those plays where he displayed such. Pressed for time probably. This breakdown could've easily been 30 mins. Kurt was being nice.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Yeah the guy has absolutely no touch on his throws whatsoever. Wonder if they scouted that and ignored it lol wow.

94Smith

Reaction score
I think it was a purposeful move by Shanahan to work on what Lance is weak at. If you watch plays from college, his strengths when passing are off of play action. This is also Jimmy’s best pass plays as well. I think Kyle knew he was never going to be his starter and called lots of shotgun throws. Also Lance never had any designed runs this preseason , no boots , little to no play action . He is a work in progress and I am excited to see how he will be used tomorrow. He is 20 years old and did not play football last year. If Shanahan wanted him to be the starter he would have called plays to accentuate what he does well, not what he needs to work on

toffee

Reaction score
94Smith":u04rynkp said:
I think it was a purposeful move by Shanahan to work on what Lance is weak at. If you watch plays from college, his strengths when passing are off of play action. This is also Jimmy’s best pass plays as well. I think Kyle knew he was never going to be his starter and called lots of shotgun throws. Also Lance never had any designed runs this preseason , no boots , little to no play action . He is a work in progress and I am excited to see how he will be used tomorrow. He is 20 years old and did not play football last year. If Shanahan wanted him to be the starter he would have called plays to accentuate what he does well, not what he needs to work on
JimmyG announced that he will start the season opener. I still think that Lance will play in the game and will takeover in game two or so.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":2nne175u said:
[youtube]hoV-CSv9UGY[/youtube]
PROJECT. :shock: I'd be mortified to start him, both Kurt & Kyle agree.

He left a lot out too, he has no feel for the rush and didn't bother to show any of those plays where he displayed such. Pressed for time probably. This breakdown could've easily been 30 mins. Kurt was being nice.
I think some of those issues can be overcome, pocket awareness, squaring up to throw etc etc etc.
The 100mph fastball or nothing mentality some never overcome. That mentality will lead to a lot of forced throws and picks not to mention incompletions and is going to be a hard habit to break. As a Hawks fan I’m glad the Niners gave up 3 firsts on a project QB.

Does that mean his automatically going to flat out suck his whole career? No, but he’s likely going to struggle with inconsistency unless he learns to throw a “change up” once in a while instead of the heat all of the time.

Who knows maybe Shanny and Lynch will come out looking like the smartest guys in the room on that draft day, but IMHO that’s highly unlikely.