The Santa Clara 49ers implosion is imminent!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Disagree that the team quit on Tomsula last year.

Last year's team just didn't have a chance.

The coaching staff was completely inept.

Four of the most important players on the team (Aldon, Willis, and both Davis') left (or entirelly mentally checked out in the case of Vernon Davis) after any planning for their departures could be made up for.

Their best offensive player got hurt in week 2 and didn't even make it halfway through the season (Hyde), and their most important offensive player (Kaepernick) sh!t the bed so hard he got benched and only made it halfway through the season.

On top of that the locker room got split in half before the season even started because of outside events that didn't have anything to do with football (Kaepernick stealing Aldon's girlfriend).

It took a lot of luck for the 9ers to win five games last year, and not because the players figuratively quit on the coaching staff.

As for what's left, it's all youth. They could be young and untalented or just young. There's really no way to know. On the defensive side of the ball I don't think O'Neil will help answer that question, as no matter how talented or untalented those guys are Kelly's offense puts a lot of stress on the defense and as a DC O'Neil is a disaster, particularly for a young team.

I'd peg them this year at about the 4-12/5-11 range. They might get lucky and get closer to .500 or be unlucky and be closer to the two or three win range, but this team is still a couple years off in the best case scenario.

One of the problems with Kelly's scheme and style of leadership is that it's a sight to behold when it's clicking, but when the engine isn't working, it breaks down with a speed and force you also rarely see.

I think there's a good chance it ends up being a total disaster. The only thing any of these guys have going for them is that they're all probably desperate enough to take the time to let the ship right itself or not. That's not happening this year though, or likely next year either.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":mi709jdq said:

Four of the most important players on the team (Aldon, Willis, and both Davis') left (or entirelly mentally checked out in the case of Vernon Davis) after any planning for their departures could be made up for.

Their best offensive player got hurt in week 2 and didn't even make it halfway through the season (Hyde), and their most important offensive player (Kaepernick) sh!t the bed so hard he got benched and only made it halfway through the season.

On top of that the locker room got split in half before the season even started because of outside events that didn't have anything to do with football (Kaepernick stealing Aldon's girlfriend).

It took a lot of luck for the 9ers to win five games last year, and not because the players figuratively quit on the coaching staff.

As for what's left, it's all youth. They could be young and untalented or just young. There's really no way to know. On the defensive side of the ball I don't think O'Neil will help answer that question, as no matter how talented or untalented those guys are Kelly's offense puts a lot of stress on the defense and as a DC O'Neil is a disaster, particularly for a young team.

I'd peg them this year at about the 4-12/5-11 range. They might get lucky and get closer to .500 or be unlucky and be closer to the two or three win range, but this team is still a couple years off in the best case scenario.

One of the problems with Kelly's scheme and style of leadership is that it's a sight to behold when it's clicking, but when the engine isn't working, it breaks down with a speed and force you also rarely see.

I think there's a good chance it ends up being a total disaster. The only thing any of these guys have going for them is that they're all probably desperate enough to take the time to let the ship right itself or not. That's not happening this year though, or likely next year either.

Good post popeye and you summarized my feelings perfectly. Not an attempt to bash, it really is pretty much what I see right now.

Going forward what do you think needs to be done to right the ship?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Oops. Looks like my response got gobbled up.

Long story short: no idea. Best case scenario that's a two or three year process.

The 9ers have 20 unknowns. Fans want to put all those unknowns in the plus column. Detractors want to put all those unknowns in the minus column. More likely is that 2 or 3 of them are major pluses, 2 or 3 of them are major minuses, and the rest are shades of gray.

The 9ers are still several years away from accumulating enough pluses to even think about competing for a WC spot.

I'm basically just glad they weren't dumb enough to be players in FA. That was the only victory that will matter for them this season :lol:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3lbuzo9t said:
The 9ers have 20 unknowns. Fans want to put all those unknowns in the plus column. Detractors want to put all those unknowns in the minus column. More likely is that 2 or 3 of them are major pluses, 2 or 3 of them are major minuses, and the rest are shades of gray.

That's a great way to put it and I agree completely. Funny how the view is always jaded by the color of your bias huh?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Popeyejones":gl59afbg said:

Haven't agreed so completely with a post of yours in a iong time.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2mln2h51 said:
Popeyejones":2mln2h51 said:

That's a great way to put it and I agree completely. Funny how the view is always jaded by the color of your bias huh?

Agreed. Sums it up perfectly. The youth could break through and shock the world. The youth could end up being a collection of no talent players who never amount to anything. Most likely it'll be something in between.

Sucks that the 49ers are VERY likely to be irrelevant this year, but there is something to the journey. There is some fun to the building process....as long as we don't turn into the Browns. SOOOO many players I'm looking forward to seeing this year. None of them are anything close to a guarantee, but I look forward to seeing what they have to contribute.

Chief among them? I wanna see DeForest and Arik play on the same D-Line again and I wanna see a healthy Carlos Hyde in the space that a Chip Kelly offense creates in the run game.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
This is a similar rebuild the Seahawks went through six years ago. Our roster went through a complete turnover. 22 new drafted players in he last 2 seasons. Free agents let walk and so on and so on. Without Phil Dawson an Eric Pears busting the baby we are of the youngest teams in the league now just as the Hawks were. It's gonna be interesting

rideaducati

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":1b7vr16q said:
This is a similar rebuild the Seahawks went through six years ago. Our roster went through a complete turnover. 22 new drafted players in he last 2 seasons. Free agents let walk and so on and so on. Without Phil Dawson an Eric Pears busting the baby we are of the youngest teams in the league now just as the Hawks were. It's gonna be interesting

I think you're dreaming if you believe that the niner rebuild is similar to the Seahawks. From ownership down, the Seahawks were in a much better place than the niners are. With Dork and Baalke calling the shots, it's not gonna be good for niner fans.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":48no1q56 said:

Not saying the Niners purge won't turn the team around eventually, but I sincerely doubt the abilities of those running the organization currently. Also, comparing the Seahawks purge 6 years ago and the Niners now is rather inaccurate. We fired an incompetent GM and an ineffective coach and brought in a whole new staff who evaluated and valued talent completely differently. Seattle made 284 roster moves in 2010, and retained only 10 out of 28 players drafted from 06-09. It was a complete overhaul that, at least to me, can only be compared to the Raiders dumping all of their bad contracts after Nosferatu Davis died.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
You can nit pick every detail but it's not so dissimilar. Got rid of an incompetent coach , hired a wild successful college head coach who also has been quite successful in his 3 years in Philly. Completely purged the roster of almost every player from the previous few years. Drafted more than 30 players the last 3 seasons as well as many undrafted players. Went super young to try and open a whole new window for the organization.

By the way Paul Allen has owner the Hawks for 20 years. There was a lot of people who hadn't been so happy with him until he finally overhauled the way they envision running the organization. Same parallel with Jed when he hired Jim Harbs. Do I thin PA is a better owner? Yes I do. I also think Jed is taking things in the right direction. Chip Kelly is a very good coach. So yes I still think it's a similar rebuild

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Chip Kelly is completely unproven in the NFL. As soon as he no longer had Reid's roster his team tanked. He was fired for a reason.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":1o8eb7cz said:
You can nit pick every detail but it's not so dissimilar. Got rid of an incompetent coach , hired a wild successful college head coach who also has been quite successful in his 3 years in Philly. Completely purged the roster of almost every player from the previous few years. Drafted more than 30 players the last 3 seasons as well as many undrafted players. Went super young to try and open a whole new window for the organization.

By the way Paul Allen has owner the Hawks for 20 years. There was a lot of people who hadn't been so happy with him until he finally overhauled the way they envision running the organization. Same parallel with Jed when he hired Jim Harbs. Do I thin PA is a better owner? Yes I do. I also think Jed is taking things in the right direction. Chip Kelly is a very good coach. So yes I still think it's a similar rebuild
Raiders might be a better comparison to the 2011 / 2012 seahawks. Niners? Guess we will know in a couple years...

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Archer":mwaqh0xe said:
Chip Kelly is completely unproven in the NFL. As soon as he no longer had Reid's roster his team tanked. He was fired for a reason.

Funny you say that, Andy Reids roster was 8-8 & 4-12 before kelly got there. That's why Reid was fired for going 4-12, then kelly came in an took them to 10-6, so your argument for a good roster is senseless. That roster was 12-20 the previous 2 seasons

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":1nlqtzzn said:
Archer":1nlqtzzn said:

Funny you say that, Andy Reids roster was 8-8 & 4-12 before kelly got there. That's why Reid was fired for going 4-12, then kelly came in an took them to 10-6, so your argument for a good roster is senseless. That roster was 12-20 the previous 2 seasons
So Kelly was fired from Philly whhhhhhyyyyyyy?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":55kwtqfk said:
Bob Loblaw":55kwtqfk said:
Archer":55kwtqfk said:

So Kelly was fired from Philly whhhhhhyyyyyyy?
Quest for six, duh!

Maulbert

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":2u65bwny said:

People weren't shitting on Paul Allen before hiring Carroll. Paul Allen is a hands off owner that has stepped in when the situation became untenable, like the firing of Dennis Erickson and hiring of Mike Holmgren in 1999, the firing of Bob Whitsitt in 2005, and the firing of Tim Ruskell and Jim Mora in 2009-10. York is much more a meddler who fired an effective coach to side with your chucklehead of a GM. Baalke is Tim Ruskell, not John Schneider. That's a much better comparison, considering Timmay forced out a future HoF head coach in favor of his own guy. The 2015 Niners are like the 2009 Hawks, not the 2010 Hawks. A husk of a once good team that's been run into the ground by an incompetent boob.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
I would say he was fired for losing a power struggle to Howie Roseman. He made a bunch of moves an traded away players. Signed other players to big contracts, I think the only player he lost really worth anything was Maclin, Mcoy can't play a whole season, neither can DJax, demarco Murray was the rushing champion why would you not want him. Mathews is a hard runner. Kiko Alonzo is an elite LB when healthy. Kelly didn't get along with Roweman an the owner picked Kelly while Roseman sat back and many people think helped sabatoge Kelly.

Now Roseman has spent ungodly amounts of money doing the same thing. We will see who was right. Kelly did not get fired for being a bad coach. Roseman and the owner could t deal with his personality. Also I guess they had a problem with him winning. Not everyone was on Rosemans side. Many think he was just as bad of a GM

Laloosh

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":2yzpt9y2 said:
I would say he was fired for losing a power struggle to Howie Roseman. He made a bunch of moves an traded away players. Signed other players to big contracts, I think the only player he lost really worth anything was Maclin, Mcoy can't play a whole season, neither can DJax, demarco Murray was the rushing champion why would you not want him. Mathews is a hard runner. Kiko Alonzo is an elite LB when healthy. Kelly didn't get along with Roweman an the owner picked Kelly while Roseman sat back and many people think helped sabatoge Kelly.

Now Roseman has spent ungodly amounts of money doing the same thing. We will see who was right. Kelly did not get fired for being a bad coach. Roseman and the owner could t deal with his personality. Also I guess they had a problem with him winning. Not everyone was on Rosemans side. Many think he was just as bad of a GM

PHI's points scored and points allowed trending in the wrong direction disagrees with you.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
That's due to a number of factors throughout the season, I could say the same about the Hawks D. Trending down fast, consistently gave tons of 4th quarter points. Especially in the playoffs. Is that bad coaching? Getting old? Injuries? The Hawks went from super bowl champs to super bowl losers to division round losers the last 3 years. Isnt that the definition of trending down?

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":16617awq said:
That's due to a number of factors throughout the season, I could say the same about the Hawks D. Trending down fast, consistently gave tons of 4th quarter points. Especially in the playoffs. Is that bad coaching? Getting old? Injuries?

We gave up zero points in the 4th quarter in the playoffs so I don't know what you're smoking.

We've gone from 1st in scoring defense in 2012 to 1st in scoring defense in 2013 to 1st in scoring defense in 2014 to 1st in scoring defense in 2015.

Latest posts