The Seahawks chose Malik McDowell with the 35th pick

KinesProf

Reaction score
I'm not sure why people do this to themselves lol every team can go down this rabbit hole multiple times over and drive themselves crazy.

Cards took Isabella over DK
Niners took Solomon Thomas in the Watson/Mahomes draft
Etc etc

It's a fool 's errand.

TypeSly

Reaction score
gowazzu02":24qghfd8 said:
How many qbs were drafted before russ. How many mlb before bobby. How many wr before dk. How many cb before sherm. How many safeties before kam.....

No organizations gonna bat 1000. Were better than most. Cheer up buttercup.....as I tell my 6 yr old. You have it so much better than when I was a kid.....

Best post I've read in a long time. :2thumbs:

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that if we had only picked <insert name here> instead of McDowell, we would be at least 8-0 after 5 games this year!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Dear God, will it ever end??? Get over it...….
People still blaming Pete and John for a guy who was stupid enough to slam himself in to the tree :roll:

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Jesus. Celtic fans don't whine this much about Len Bias.

Rat

Reaction score
McDowell was the #1 guy I wanted going into that draft. He had unreal potential and would have easily been a top 10 pick under different circumstances.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I usually don’t focus on one pick but the picks over time. When you criticize one pick people here jump on you and say the team cannot get all of them right which is true. It takes away the focus on the truth that is we have drafted very poorly for 5 years. All the sunshiners look from Clark on back but nobody is complaining about those drafts. Clark was SIX drafts ago.

I thought Malik was a poor pick at the time due to red flags. I wasn’t thrilled with the pick but unlike some other picks I did not trash it at the time. Did we draft him significantly higher than he should have been drafted based on the information at the time? Not really too far different if I remember right. Then of course the did he perform to his draft location question which is of course no. Unfortunately for us the answer has been No to both of those questions way way way too often for 5 years.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Rat":9bhtbi32 said:
McDowell was the #1 guy I wanted going into that draft. He had unreal potential and would have easily been a top 10 pick under different circumstances.

This is what I find so entertaining about the current McDowell discourse - he's exactly the type of player that posters always whine about Pete and John NOT taking a look at. Ridiculously talented players who should go before where they're taken. Kudos to you for posting in here, you were overjoyed at McDowell's pick. I was excited, too.

He was a 20 year old kid with first round talent (hell, top 10 talent) on a team where every player was mailing it in. We have absolutely no clue how he would've turned out as a player if he hadn't Evel Knievel'd himself off a four wheeler. No one seems to remember just how talented McDowell was for a guy available at the top of the second round, but that's the thing: this place likes to act like effort and motor red flags are a predictor of nearly killing yourself in an offroading accident, and that the front office should've predicted that.

I mean, this front office can't win with this board now that the whole "bad at drafting" narrative has set in.

They draft a talented guy who falls? Bad.

They draft a high character guy early instead? Bad.

They draft for a position of need? Should've gone BPA.

They draft BPA? "We don't need a linebacker/safety/cornerback/etc!!!!."

They draft BPA at a position of need? "CBS had this other guy rated higher!!!!! should've filled the hole before it became a need!!!!!"

Draft project linemen? "We need guys who can pass block!"

Draft relatively pro-ready linemen who play multiple positions and don't allow pressures? "Boo, not THAT lineman!" (looking at you, Ethan Pocic draft day reactions)

Hell, 2019's draft has 7 out of 10 players currently contributing on gamedays, including a legitimate STAR in DK Metcalf who was absolutely STOLEN with the very last pick in the 2nd round (over a full round below projection), and we've STILL got people bemoaning that draft.

Just gotta accept that since the narrative has taken hold, people are going to have 20/20 hindsight when looking back to confirm their priors, and selective blindness to the context of the time they're reflecting on. I'm sure the board at the time would have been suuuper fine with the Seahawks, at a time when they had Kam and Earl, taking a freaking safety with their top pick. Place would've burned down.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Look, I know some of you are real irritable regarding McDowell.

But what I think you should really be dwelling on unnecessarily is Lamar King who was picked 22nd.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Can you imagine what our record would be right now if we had picked Favre over McGwire?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2e1j0v0m said:
I usually don’t focus on one pick but the picks over time. When you criticize one pick people here jump on you and say the team cannot get all of them right which is true. It takes away the focus on the truth that is we have drafted very poorly for 5 years. All the sunshiners look from Clark on back but nobody is complaining about those drafts. Clark was SIX drafts ago.

I thought Malik was a poor pick at the time due to red flags. I wasn’t thrilled with the pick but unlike some other picks I did not trash it at the time. Did we draft him significantly higher than he should have been drafted based on the information at the time? Not really too far different if I remember right. Then of course the did he perform to his draft location question which is of course no. Unfortunately for us the answer has been No to both of those questions way way way too often for 5 years.

You didn't say a single thing about McDowell until after the fact, and couldn't provide a single player you would've rather taken at the time a year later in the huge McDowell thread, where you called the pick "arrogant," as if an off-field vehicular accident is the norm for character red flag guys. It was a silly take then, and still is now. Then, with the benefit of hindsight, you criticized the pick using...? Yep. Media draft and need rankings.

The 2019 draft was quite good.

2018 was meh, but provided us some key starters in Dissly and Dickson, plus depth guys like Jamarco, Rasheem, Penny, Quem, and Flowers. It'd look even better if Dissly and Penny didn't have terrible injury luck, especially with Penny being such a healthy college player.

2017, McDowell obviously we'll never know what he would've done, but you've got Quill, stole Carson and D Moore in the 7th, Pocic is starting at center and doing quite well, and Lano is decent enough depth. You can call it a bad draft all you want, but the fact is this: RB1, CB1, C1, WR3 from the same draft 3 seasons later is NOT a bad draft. Sorry.

2016, got me there, not very good. Jarran Reed and QJeff are the highlights of the class.

The drafting woes are simply overblown. They just are.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
andyh64000":h7ont2a3 said:
I just thought it was an interesting unfortunate happenstance. I remember during the draft that I couldn't believe he was still available and that the Hawks would certainly take him.

I thought the same thing. Local boy, ET part II, just made sense. But then again, when does JS/PC make sense on draft day?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Obviously McDowell was a bust, but we had just given Kam a new contract, Earl was in his prime and there was a glaring need on the D-line for a dynamic DE.

McDowell was raw, and had some character issues (duh), but we were not the only one's targeting him.

Honestly, I was more pissed off that we passed on both Ryan Ramczyk and Cam Robinson, one an All Pro LT and the other having his best year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It was a baffling decision.

I was livid then because it was stupid.

We had problems with ET. We needed a safety.

Not having a safety meant having to trade for Diggs.

McDowell wasn't even great in college.

(That said, I thought DK was a luxury in a later draft, and wanted Savage. So if I am going to be upside about reaches then I have to acknowledge that would have meant no DK. )

The weird part is just with the ET drama it made no sense we didn't pick Baker. Anyone that watched UW games would know he was the best player on that defense that sent plenty of players to the NFL those years. We knew we were going to need a safety and he was the best one on the board.

It was baffling then and even more so now.

(I would also still like to get that CB that Philly drafted from UW that they later cut.)

themunn

Reaction score
Baker is an OK but not great safety who had his first career interception this year and who got WAAYY overpaid.

Obviously we didn't hit with McDowell but I wouldn't take Baker over either of our two current safeties.

Much bigger misses from that draft are any RB taken after that basically.

RCATES

Reaction score
They just literally did this again with Taylor. Guy likely won't even see the field this year. Name a team who's been worse at round #1 and #2 then Seattle.

misfit

Reaction score
While we're busy being jealous of AZ, Isaiah Simmons has looked terrible, so theres that.