The Seahawks chose Malik McDowell with the 35th pick

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
RCATES":2mq6n4co said:
They just literally did this again with Taylor. Guy likely won't even see the field this year. Name a team who's been worse at round #1 and #2 then Seattle.

The Cardinals have done worse with better draft capital. Browns have Browns'd it up. The New England Patriots are pretty bad at it.

Again, drafting woes. Overblown.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
misfit":2w7benf1 said:
While we're busy being jealous of AZ, Isaiah Simmons has looked terrible, so theres that.

Yeah. I was saying we should trade up for him and put him in the Jamal Adams role. Luckily, it appears that it was a much better move just trading for Adams instead lol.

misfit

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2mtbwyex said:
misfit":2mtbwyex said:
While we're busy being jealous of AZ, Isaiah Simmons has looked terrible, so theres that.

Yeah. I was saying we should trade up for him and put him in the Jamal Adams role. Luckily, it appears that it was a much better move just trading for Adams instead lol.

Yeah me too, I was really nervous when they drafted him thought he was gonna transform their defense.

Its early still, but could be on his way to being a bust

Basis4day

Reaction score
RCATES":gm6zn89c said:
They just literally did this again with Taylor. Guy likely won't even see the field this year. Name a team who's been worse at round #1 and #2 then Seattle.

It's not like there was a global pandemic that limited in person workouts and medical evaluations leading up to last year's draft.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
RCATES":1x4u7ewv said:

Typically negative post.

You haven't even seen the player (Taylor) play yet, but he is by default a poor pick. Sure, whatever, riiight. :roll:

Nobody could have foreseen McDowell having an ATV accident that ended his ability to play football.

The draft experts disagreed with your usual negative assessment and believed this player was a potential 1st round pick and had displayed exceptional abilities in getting around the corner as a pass rusher. The team even considered drafting him in the first round. However, you know better.

I'm prepared to wait and see before defaulting to the team's drafting sucks. Being negative always ensures however you'll never be disappointed.

misfit

Reaction score
jammerhawk":kw9u9fxt said:
RCATES":kw9u9fxt said:

Typically negative post.

You haven't even seen the player (Taylor) play yet, but he is by default a poor pick. Sure, whatever, riiight. :roll:

Nobody could have foreseen McDowell having an ATV accident that ended his ability to play football.

The draft experts disagreed with your usual negative assessment and believed this player was a potential 1st round pick and had displayed exceptional abilities in getting around the corner as a pass rusher. The team even considered drafting him in the first round. However, you know better.

I'm prepared to wait and see before defaulting to the team's drafting sucks. Being negative always ensures however you'll never be disappointed.

To add on to that, seattle has been very good in the 2nd round I would say. 1st round terrible? Sure

But tough to be great picking in the end of the 1st though they get cute all the time.

2nd round picks been good over the years, a lot of gems I think

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Seahawks dot negative indeed. He hasn't even played yet, but he's somehow a "bust" :roll:
And the Hawks FO is supposed to predict injuries and guys being complete idiots and ruining their own careers.

Got it...…….

sc85sis

Reaction score
andyh64000":njetyvdf said:
Maelstrom787":njetyvdf said:
andyh64000":njetyvdf said:
gowazzu02":njetyvdf said:
How many qbs were drafted before russ. How many mlb before bobby. How many wr before dk. How many cb before sherm. How many safeties before kam.....

No organizations gonna bat 1000. Were better than most. Cheer up buttercup.....as I tell my 6 yr old. You have it so much better than when I was a kid.....

To miss so badly on a local guy for someone who never even played a preseason snap?

Ah, come on. This is a bit unfair. Hard to predict if a prospect is going to scramble their brains in an accident or not.

Weren't there character questions about him prior to the decision to ride a four wheeler without a helmet?
I could be mistaken, but I thought the questions were regarding his effort level, not off-field behavior.

RCATES

Reaction score
Basis4day":3iuqiw8v said:
RCATES":3iuqiw8v said:

It's not like there was a global pandemic that limited in person workouts and medical evaluations leading up to last year's draft.

Literally has nothing to do with reaching for a injured player in the 2nd round.

RCATES

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":21eyqson said:
Seahawks dot negative indeed. He hasn't even played yet, but he's somehow a "bust" :roll:
And the Hawks FO is supposed to predict injuries and guys being complete idiots and ruining their own careers.

Got it...…….

Malik was a head case. They knew the risk. Taylor was hurt before they drafted him. Again they knew the risk. If we had drafted better we wouldn't have this shit D-line.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
RCATES":3ilz684q said:
SoulfishHawk":3ilz684q said:

Got it...…….

Malik was a head case. They knew the risk. Taylor was hurt before they drafted him. Again they knew the risk. If we had drafted better we wouldn't have this shit D-line.

Oh, yeah, whatever you say, nostradamus. You definitely knew that a red flag for inconsistent effort would equate to the guy damn near killing himself. Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Also, yeah, I'm sure that they could've landed a transformative pass rusher at pick 27 that'd be crushing things 5 weeks into his rookie year. If it's so easy, why doesn't every team do it? Taylor got set back in his rehab, which probably wouldn't have happened if they'd had him in house all offseason. It happens.

Not even sure why I'm responding to this tired shtick, but here we are.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Funny how someone becomes a draft expert for every player the Hawks choose.
Must be nice to know more about football than Pete and John.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2d3kjx9b said:
Funny how someone becomes a draft expert for every player the Hawks choose.
Must be nice to know more about football than Pete and John.

If they were really draft experts, they'd see that the past couple of drafts have netted a fair amount of key starters, especially 2019. This whole bad-drafting narrative is blown way, way out of proportion.

The first 3 drafts really spoiled people around here. I think it has led to a very unrealistic image of what can really be expected out of a draft.

RCATES

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":5afpdt42 said:
Nah, Cates is the true expert around here. He makes sure we all know it on every single thread.

Every thread? I post here maybe once a week. It’s called having a life. You should check into that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Says the guy who threatened to kick my ass over a message board. You need to chill out man. This is a message board, threats are not necessary at all.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Seahawks listened to media buzz in 2009 and drafted Aaron Curry. The alternative player that fans wanted was Mark Sanchez and he didn't fare any better either. It's a big reason why successful teams don't let fans make their draft picks.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2jp7g6c9 said:
Rat":2jp7g6c9 said:
McDowell was the #1 guy I wanted going into that draft. He had unreal potential and would have easily been a top 10 pick under different circumstances.

This is what I find so entertaining about the current McDowell discourse - he's exactly the type of player that posters always whine about Pete and John NOT taking a look at. Ridiculously talented players who should go before where they're taken. Kudos to you for posting in here, you were overjoyed at McDowell's pick. I was excited, too.

He was a 20 year old kid with first round talent (hell, top 10 talent) on a team where every player was mailing it in. We have absolutely no clue how he would've turned out as a player if he hadn't Evel Knievel'd himself off a four wheeler. No one seems to remember just how talented McDowell was for a guy available at the top of the second round, but that's the thing: this place likes to act like effort and motor red flags are a predictor of nearly killing yourself in an offroading accident, and that the front office should've predicted that.

I mean, this front office can't win with this board now that the whole "bad at drafting" narrative has set in.

They draft a talented guy who falls? Bad.

They draft a high character guy early instead? Bad.

They draft for a position of need? Should've gone BPA.

They draft BPA? "We don't need a linebacker/safety/cornerback/etc!!!!."

They draft BPA at a position of need? "CBS had this other guy rated higher!!!!! should've filled the hole before it became a need!!!!!"

Draft project linemen? "We need guys who can pass block!"

Draft relatively pro-ready linemen who play multiple positions and don't allow pressures? "Boo, not THAT lineman!" (looking at you, Ethan Pocic draft day reactions)

Hell, 2019's draft has 7 out of 10 players currently contributing on gamedays, including a legitimate STAR in DK Metcalf who was absolutely STOLEN with the very last pick in the 2nd round (over a full round below projection), and we've STILL got people bemoaning that draft.

Just gotta accept that since the narrative has taken hold, people are going to have 20/20 hindsight when looking back to confirm their priors, and selective blindness to the context of the time they're reflecting on. I'm sure the board at the time would have been suuuper fine with the Seahawks, at a time when they had Kam and Earl, taking a freaking safety with their top pick. Place would've burned down.

Another excellent post. Nit-picky fans are ridiculous, expecially when talking about the draft. Since Schneider has taken over the GM position, we've gone to TWO SB's, won one, and haven't been close to as bad of a team as before. All the fans complaining about draft picks, don't turn around and give credit to the good ones, nevermind that Seattle has the BEST record in the league for turning undrafted prospects into real, everyday NFL'ers. I read somewhere that if 20% of your drafts turned out to be everyday players (not stars), you would be a genius, and it has never happened before. So take that into perspective.

*EDIT: I don't know why I was calling him Ferguson LOL. Schneider is the BEST gm in the league, and our team would be left for dead if we ever let him go.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
TypeSly":hmqctkg0 said:
Maelstrom787":hmqctkg0 said:
Rat":hmqctkg0 said:
McDowell was the #1 guy I wanted going into that draft. He had unreal potential and would have easily been a top 10 pick under different circumstances.

This is what I find so entertaining about the current McDowell discourse - he's exactly the type of player that posters always whine about Pete and John NOT taking a look at. Ridiculously talented players who should go before where they're taken. Kudos to you for posting in here, you were overjoyed at McDowell's pick. I was excited, too.

He was a 20 year old kid with first round talent (hell, top 10 talent) on a team where every player was mailing it in. We have absolutely no clue how he would've turned out as a player if he hadn't Evel Knievel'd himself off a four wheeler. No one seems to remember just how talented McDowell was for a guy available at the top of the second round, but that's the thing: this place likes to act like effort and motor red flags are a predictor of nearly killing yourself in an offroading accident, and that the front office should've predicted that.

I mean, this front office can't win with this board now that the whole "bad at drafting" narrative has set in.

They draft a talented guy who falls? Bad.

They draft a high character guy early instead? Bad.

They draft for a position of need? Should've gone BPA.

They draft BPA? "We don't need a linebacker/safety/cornerback/etc!!!!."

They draft BPA at a position of need? "CBS had this other guy rated higher!!!!! should've filled the hole before it became a need!!!!!"

Draft project linemen? "We need guys who can pass block!"

Draft relatively pro-ready linemen who play multiple positions and don't allow pressures? "Boo, not THAT lineman!" (looking at you, Ethan Pocic draft day reactions)

Hell, 2019's draft has 7 out of 10 players currently contributing on gamedays, including a legitimate STAR in DK Metcalf who was absolutely STOLEN with the very last pick in the 2nd round (over a full round below projection), and we've STILL got people bemoaning that draft.

Just gotta accept that since the narrative has taken hold, people are going to have 20/20 hindsight when looking back to confirm their priors, and selective blindness to the context of the time they're reflecting on. I'm sure the board at the time would have been suuuper fine with the Seahawks, at a time when they had Kam and Earl, taking a freaking safety with their top pick. Place would've burned down.

Another excellent post. Nit-picky fans are ridiculous, expecially when talking about the draft. Since Ferguson has taken over the GM position, we've gone to TWO SB's, won one, and haven't been close to as bad of a team as before. All the fans complaining about draft picks, don't turn around and give credit to the good ones, nevermind that Seattle has the BEST record in the league for turning undrafted prospects into real, everyday NFL'ers. I read somewhere that if 20% of your drafts turned out to be everyday players (not stars), you would be a genius, and it has never happened before. So take that into perspective.

Ferguson is the BEST gm in the league, and our team would be left for dead if we ever let him go.

Ferguson? I've never heard of anyone longing for the Bob Ferguson days.