This one is on Russ

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
LTH":11e9edsp said:
John63":11e9edsp said:
You guys do know 24 of his 31 passes as.of now we're short right?

Its never been my contention that Russ does,t throw short. My issue is that he doesnt take advantage of what the D gives him... he wants to be a gunslinger and thats fine but Rodgers out played him with his decision making... Rodgers was fantastic... he took some shots down field but he didnt force it after he figured out that seattle took away the long ball... he did EXACTLY what he should have done... and he won the game...

LTH
Whoa whoa whoa... let's not go overboard and say Rodgers was fantastic. Rodgers was lucky he only got picked once. He hit Seahawks in the hands about a half dozen times (or more, I lost count) before he finally actually got picked off.

What happened for Rodgers is our D got tired and frustrated and his team actually runs screens pretty efficiently. A QB playing 'fantastic' doesn't settle for 3 points until the final quarter.

That out of the way, I agree about Russ. He missed open shots, on more than one sack/QB hit/hurry-up/etc. there was a pocket for him to step up into but he didn't do it, and he simply did not have this offense in a rhythm for more than one drive.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
DarkVictory23":3gsevty6 said:
LTH":3gsevty6 said:
John63":3gsevty6 said:

Its never been my contention that Russ does,t throw short. My issue is that he doesnt take advantage of what the D gives him... he wants to be a gunslinger and thats fine but Rodgers out played him with his decision making... Rodgers was fantastic... he took some shots down field but he didnt force it after he figured out that seattle took away the long ball... he did EXACTLY what he should have done... and he won the game...

LTH
Whoa whoa whoa... let's not go overboard and say Rodgers was fantastic. Rodgers was lucky he only got picked once. He hit Seahawks in the hands about a half dozen times (or more, I lost count) before he finally actually got picked off.

What happened for Rodgers is our D got tired and frustrated and his team actually runs screens pretty efficiently. A QB playing 'fantastic' doesn't settle for 3 points until the final quarter.

That out of the way, I agree about Russ. He missed open shots, on more than one sack/QB hit/hurry-up/etc. there was a pocket for him to step up into but he didn't do it, and he simply did not have this offense in a rhythm for more than one drive.

Rodgers was fantastic in the way he managed the game that was may point... got to give the Seahawks D credit for playing well...they were on it...

LTH

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Russ made some terrible decisions in the game today. The first interception he should have thrown it away. Especially since it was the first time the Seahawks were in FG range. Could have tied up the affair. Then the second one was a pass to Lockett in double to triple coverage. He did another to Lockett in double coverage but it didn't get picked. Then the final one to the dimiutive Eskridge- he's only 5'9- while he was double covered. Luckily that wasn't an INT. His finger didn't cost the Seahawks the game, his mind did. Hopefully he will learn from this and better. The Seahawks need him to be better.

He had a QB rating of 39.7. That's Nathan Peterman territory. I know it's only one game but yikes! They could have won this game. They were within a single score for 3 quarters.

Stud

Reaction score
FloridaSeahawk18":96kx8zqn said:
John63":96kx8zqn said:

but russ is 15-2 aganst teh nfc an whn,,,seahkws run cuz pete ... is 2-0 an that meen itz pete.

Am I drunk or is this hard to read?

rcaido

Reaction score
The first half was on the refs...Russ made a lot of terrible decision.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Stud":e9x7vaxk said:
FloridaSeahawk18":e9x7vaxk said:
John63":e9x7vaxk said:

but russ is 15-2 aganst teh nfc an whn,,,seahkws run cuz pete ... is 2-0 an that meen itz pete.

Am I drunk or is this hard to read?

My advice at this stage, is to drink more.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
John63":25apyugq said:
LTH":25apyugq said:
John63":25apyugq said:

LTH

The problem is then people will say he needed to take shots and trust his WRs. Its a no-win for Wilson. And FYI some in this very thread said he doe snot throw short or not enough. also, FYi Rodgers did not play that well today either. 75 passer rating is not good. that Int he through was as bad as Wilsons. Did he play better than Wilson well yeah but lets not act like he was fantastic he was not. Fi ti was Wilson a lot on here would say he played bad and we won because of the run game and defense. Again when 7-0% of your passes are short you are taking what you are given but you still need to take shots we did and were not good at it.

Look I/m not a Wilson Hater... i really like Wilson... and yeah there are always going to be people who second guess him just like you second guessing Carroll all the time and second guessing the D... your famous for that... I told you guys the D was going to turn someone actually called me LOVE to Hallucinate (LTH) because I said the D was turning around... what we saw today was a great D who came to play!!!

Yes Wilson needs to hit his play makers no question about that... but how can you even argue that Wilson threw into double coverage every INT he threw... How can you argue that he missed open TE across the middle multiple times choosing to hit the big play?

Yeah Wilson needs to make some adjustments and it has nothing to do with a hurt hand...yeah he was a bit off no question about that and lets not also forget to give GB D some credit they played well

LTH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Should have been dinking and dunking all day. Clearly, they were not going to allow the long ball yesterday. Was nice to see them FINALLY use Everett. More of that please.
That game reminded me a lot of the Giants game last year. They double DK on the long ball, are constantly ready for it, but Russ keeps trying the long ball. That's on him AND the play calling.

toffee

Reaction score
LTH":2hpd00ag said:
toffee":2hpd00ag said:
LTH":2hpd00ag said:
I mean how many times is he going tovthrow long into double coverage in stead of moving the chains?

Very frustrating... its not on Waldron, its not on Carroll and its not on the D...

LTH

You should know better, it's Pete's fault, hiring the wrong OC, then not letting OC call his plays, and his tradition not letting Russ cook. Come on, this is the dot net, we have established narratives. You Sir's out of line. lol.

I just think Russ has to make some adjustment.... his greatest strenth is his biggest weakness... it was clear early on the Hawks were having problems protecting Wilson ... they should have established the run and gain control of the game and TOP... BASICALLY peteball..

LTH
One uses one's strength to attack the opponent's weakness, every matchup is different. That, to me, make watching football fun.

If the opponent have Tre Flowers as their RCB, and also lack pass rush, you pass a lot and pick on Tre. If your opponent is weak in run defense, you run at them.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

AgentDib

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1rughu3n said:
They double DK on the long ball, are constantly ready for it, but Russ keeps trying the long ball. That's on him AND the play calling.
Maybe you could elaborate more on what you mean here because I don't see how you can easily separate the two. There are few plays in any NFL playbook without at least one longer route and very few without at least one short route. Are there specific plays where you feel that Russ didn't have a short option available to him?

What I saw was simply that Russ didn't fully trust his grip yet with his finger. Those shorter routes have small windows requiring timing and precision. Scrambling around and waiting to buy time is risky but it allows receivers to potentially break open with much larger windows to throw into.

chris98251

Reaction score
AgentDib":1pr6oalt said:
SoulfishHawk":1pr6oalt said:
They double DK on the long ball, are constantly ready for it, but Russ keeps trying the long ball. That's on him AND the play calling.
Maybe you could elaborate more on what you mean here because I don't see how you can easily separate the two. There are few plays in any NFL playbook without at least one longer route and very few without at least one short route. Are there specific plays where you feel that Russ didn't have a short option available to him?

What I saw was simply that Russ didn't fully trust his grip yet with his finger. Those shorter routes have small windows requiring timing and precision. Scrambling around and waiting to buy time is risky but it allows receivers to potentially break open with much larger windows to throw into.

Then he should not have been out there if his longer balls sale and he can't throw the ball with velocity and consistency on the shorter routes.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I have said numerous times that he should have been held out another week. The coaching has been pathetic for more than just this year. Make it known to your QB that you need to throw the short passes when they are doubling DK.
Giants game last year, they didn't even attempt to adjust.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The thing with Russ on quick outs and screens..He sucks at it and always has.
Forget a quick slant..I haven't seen one since the SB interception.
One example is the screen pass over the head into the sidelines Sunday :pukeface:
The shorter the pass the more it rises..I don't understand after 10 yrs he cannot
fix that?It's like Charlie Brown who keeps missing the kick.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's one of the most accurate passers of all time. You're gonna' take an overthrow coming off that injury and somehow turn that in to him not being an accurate passer? While he played like crap, people continue to make stuff up that doesn't actually exist. He has been throwing lasers his entire career. All a matter of opinion I guess.
I give up, it's more than ran it's course. Same sh** every day on here when it comes to Russ.
And yes, he absolutely HAS TO play better.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The key is that what we saw on Sunday was not the only possible outcome. Russ obviously looked better in practice than what we saw, but momentum can be negative and a bunch of factors combined for a really poor offensive performance.

Russ has always been the most comfortable when he's trusting his legs, moving around in the pocket and then taking shots as coverage breaks down. When things aren't going well and he starts pressing then he tends to revert to that style. I'm not sure that it is really 'hero ball' as much as him just feeling more comfortable playing to his strengths and doing stuff that has been really successful for him in the past. Him not trusting his grip just exacerbated that and led to a poor showing looking very poor.

There are plenty of versions of that game where the offense does execute a little better, or we get a break, or there are fewer bad calls. With a lead in the game and some positive momentum on offense we could have seen a much better overall performance. Finding a rhythm and running the ball more would have helped Russ let the game come to him.

SoulfishHawk":rhbmaney said:
Make it know to your QB that you need to throw the short passes when they are doubling DK.
What do you think Russ and Waldron are talking about while sitting on the bench reviewing their Surface(TM) tablets together? It's a lot more complicated than what you are suggesting, but they are definitely re-watching each play in detail and coming up with ideas for taking better advantage of whatever the defense showed.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. Coaching and a lack of adjustments have been a problem for a long time now. Just my opinion.
And YES, I know that when he starts to force things and tries to win the game on his own, it hurts the team.
No different than what Mahomes has been doing the last several games.

justafan

Reaction score
I am not blaming this loss on anyone. We lost to a better team on a field thats as difficult as any in the league to win on.

Wilson would have played better if he was healthy and we ran the ball more but the team played tough.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Wilson asked for an effective OL.

We drafted a gadget WR.

We moved one of his few effective OL pieces from RG to LG, where he is nowhere near as effective.

Our line is one of the worst in terms of allowing pressures, and people are asking why Wilson is constantly trying to play hero ball?

Because that is one of the few things that works, his playcallers do not help him, his line isn't trustworthy, and his head coach is obsessed with a style of football that should be dead and buried.

It is really weird that I am put in a position to defend Wilson now when I wanted to trade him to the Jets years ago. But that ship has sailed. You cannot go back to defense-first team because you don't have the players.

I was the 'Wilson-hater' because I knew that Pete could never figure out how to win with Wilson in the playoffs.

And you cannot trade Wilson because then you would be allowing the moron responsible for most of the worst trades in Seahawk history - to oversee that trade. He did make the Lynch and Bennett deals, some other great ones earlier but then has followed with a string of disasters that have hamstrung the team.

The guy doing the deals has a history recently of ridiculously overpaying on trades. We don't need to speculate on how bad a deal we can get - because the reality will be worse. Especially if the deal is for day 1 draft picks, which the same guy has a history of squandering.

The last thing we need is the guy I have to worry about throwing a pack of Depends on the field instead of the challenge flag, trading away one of the few pieces we can still win with in the future.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":261manys said:

We drafted a gadget WR.

We moved one of his few effective OL pieces from RG to LG, where he is nowhere near as effective.

Our line is one of the worst in terms of allowing pressures, and people are asking why Wilson is constantly trying to play hero ball?

Because that is one of the few things that works, his playcallers do not help him, his line isn't trustworthy, and his head coach is obsessed with a style of football that should be dead and buried.

It is really weird that I am put in a position to defend Wilson now when I wanted to trade him to the Jets years ago. But that ship has sailed. You cannot go back to defense-first team because you don't have the players.

I was the 'Wilson-hater' because I knew that Pete could never figure out how to win with Wilson in the playoffs.

And you cannot trade Wilson because then you would be allowing the moron responsible for most of the worst trades in Seahawk history - to oversee that trade. He did make the Lynch and Bennett deals, some other great ones earlier but then has followed with a string of disasters that have hamstrung the team.

The guy doing the deals has a history recently of ridiculously overpaying on trades. We don't need to speculate on how bad a deal we can get - because the reality will be worse. Especially if the deal is for day 1 draft picks, which the same guy has a history of squandering.

The last thing we need is the guy I have to worry about throwing a pack of Depends on the field instead of the challenge flag, trading away one of the few pieces we can still win with in the future.

The team is build around the run and when they are running the ball effectively they usually are fine... the problem is Carson can't stay healthy... the team dropped off after they lost Lynch... If you are going to have a run first philosophy then you have to have a RB that can take the pounding and i think this has been the issue... Looks like Penny is a bust...Nothing wrong with the scheme they just don't have the back to make it happen consistently.

LTH

John63

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":15g5og66 said:

We drafted a gadget WR.

This.

Latest posts