This thread is for Twisted and anyone else of course

LTH

Reaction score
I think that Carroll and Waldrons O is based off the west coast offense that started with Bill Walsh...and there are just a bunch of variations of it... Mike Holmgren, Andy Reed, Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, Pete Carroll, Mcvay..they are all just different versions... hybrids.

LTH

John63

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":mzbouhqs said:
Maybe LTH.

But would you agree that 2 of Pete's biggest goals for his team are a successful run game & stopping the run?
That he starts each season with those at the top of his board?

Now, again - if we could be assured of being at least a top 7, if not top 5 rushing offense....would that make you confident we would make the playoffs?
(Because the numbers seem to indicate that you can be a tremendous rush offense and miss the playoffs easily.)

On the other hand, if you could be guaranteed to be one of the top 5 passing offenses - what do you think your chances at the playoffs would be?
(Because the #s seem to indicate they would be damn near 100%.)

Some of the top rushing offenses are missing the playoffs.
Almost all of the top passing offenses are making them.

So Pete goes in with goals for offense and defense - that have little to no correlation to success in the modern NFL.
Even if he is successful there is no guarantee of success!

You don't see that as being a problem for whatever coordinator needs to try to win while trying to somehow succeed at something that has little or no bearing on whether you end up a playoff team (a key goal of every NFL team)?

Nice pretty much sums it up.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
LTH":zcec1gps said:
I think that Carroll and Waldrons O is based off the west coast offense that started with Bill Walsh...and there are just a bunch of variations of it... Mike Holmgren, Andy Reed, Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, Pete Carroll, Mcvay..they are all just different versions hybrids.

LTH
I wouldn't call anything that Pete Carroll has run a WCO. In fact, Carroll was brought up underneath Bud Grant and is considered part of his coaching tree. Grant's teams used an Air Coryell system, which differs from WCO in several key respects. Despite Bevell, Waldron and Bates being from a WCO background, i'd say our system has looked far more like an Air Coryell system than that of a WCO. Schottenheimer is left out, because his offensive scheme is explicitly Air Coryell.

As far as meddling goes, Carroll is involved in absolutely every facet of the team. In fact, former players were surprised just how much he was involved even with extremely low level things. Carroll often cited his failures at the Jets and Patriots as being down to lack of control. He said he ultimately took the Seahawks job because of the amount of control he was afforded here.

When Schottenheimer was hired on as OC here, Carroll stated that most of the playbook would remain the same. That being said, i would say there were a few fundamental differences between all four offensive coordinators and their playcalling tendencies, so they do have some leeway. There were reports about Carroll changing Schottenheimer's plays in 2020 as well. On defense I think the defense we saw under Norton Jr. was pretty much Carroll's baby. I think Norton probably took the L due to pressure from up top. Carroll had to present some sort of changes that would occur when he met with Jody. This is afterall, his worst year yet as the Seahawks head coach. He probably had to do something to show that they would go in the right direction in that meeting.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Pete brings in Waldron and we finally start to see "real", winning Pete Ball the last four games, with Penny's emergence. Russell has been the limiting factor. To me it looks like Pete has given the reins fully to Waldron, and Pete and John have built an O-Line that is good in Waldron's run game scheme.

Pete allowed Schotty and Russell to try the "Let Russ Cook" experiment. Teams figured out how to defend Russell starting with that game in Arizona and from there things got fugly and after that LRC had to be abandoned after lots of turnovers.

To me it's clear Pete gives his coordinators appropriate freedom, within his framework. Waldron came up with a nice game plan for the Bears game, and used the run game to punish Chicago for running cover 2. Penny had what, another 130+ yard day, Seahawks had a one score lead, and then Russell took the stupid 15 yard sack playing hero-ball, Myers missed the FG, and the Bears won on that 2-point conversion. Then Waldron came up with another great game plan and scheme for the Cardinals game.

The limiting factor the whole season has been Russell, repeatedly passing up move-the-chains completions in favor of hero-ball, taking ridiculous sacks holding the ball too long, and being last in the NFL (at the time) in 3rd down conversion rate. That is an issue between Waldron and Russell, not an issue of Pete micromanaging anything.

Whatever else, it looks like Waldron and Pete are on the same page and Pete doesn't need to micromanage him. It looks like Waldron "gets" what Pete wants and is able to execute on Pete's vision better than anyone before, if the last few games of the season and Penny's emergence are more than an end-of-season mirage. If anything, Waldron has gotten Pete to abandon the "impose our will" crap and instead switch to "exploit what the defense is giving us". It was refreshing to see! See the Matty F. Brown breakdowns of recent Seahawks games for more data on this.

OK, the DC side. Did Pete micromanage Dan Quinn, Gus Bradley, or Kris Richard? I'm leaving KNJ out of it, as he was fired rather than leaving for a promotion. Certainly Dan Quinn was his own man, if not all the others. For whatever reason, KNJ was not able to get Pete's defenses up to speed quickly enough. Thank you for your service, KNJ, and happy trails.

Overall, Pete is just a boss, a leader, who has definite ideas about how he wants things done. Based on the evidence, I'd say he's well within the "normal" range in what and how he delegates to OC and DC. Some coordinators are a better fit, they "get" what Pete wants (e.g., balanced attack, run game, deep passing threat/explosive plays) so in those cases, Pete is able to delegate more fully. I think that's Waldron right now, and hopefully also the new DC, when chosen.

LTH

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2uy8zn2a said:
LTH":2uy8zn2a said:
I think that Carroll and Waldrons O is based off the west coast offense that started with Bill Walsh...and there are just a bunch of variations of it... Mike Holmgren, Andy Reed, Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, Pete Carroll, Mcvay..they are all just different versions hybrids.

LTH
I wouldn't call anything that Pete Carroll has run a WCO. In fact, Carroll was brought up underneath Bud Grant and is considered part of his coaching tree. Grant's teams used an Air Coryell system, which differs from WCO in several key respects. Despite Bevell, Waldron and Bates being from a WCO background, i'd say our system has looked far more like an Air Coryell system than that of a WCO. Schottenheimer is left out, because his offensive scheme is explicitly Air Coryell.

As far as meddling goes, Carroll is involved in absolutely every facet of the team. In fact, former players were surprised just how much he was involved even with extremely low level things. Carroll often cited his failures at the Jets and Patriots as being down to lack of control. He said he ultimately took the Seahawks job because of the amount of control he was afforded here.

When Schottenheimer was hired on as OC here, Carroll stated that most of the playbook would remain the same. That being said, i would say there were a few fundamental differences between all four offensive coordinators and their playcalling tendencies, so they do have some leeway. There were reports about Carroll changing Schottenheimer's plays in 2020 as well. On defense I think the defense we saw under Norton Jr. was pretty much Carroll's baby. I think Norton probably took the L due to pressure from up top. Carroll had to present some sort of changes that would occur when he met with Jody. This is afterall, his worst year yet as the Seahawks head coach. He probably had to do something to show that they would go in the right direction in that meeting.

Thats true some of his philosophy came from Bud Grant but the zone blocking scheme came from Mike Shanahan... as well as some other parts of the O..

Alot of his D came from Seifert

LTH

Fade

Reaction score
olyfan63":3mify897 said:
Pete brings in Waldron and we finally start to see "real", winning Pete Ball the last four games, with Penny's emergence. Russell has been the limiting factor. To me it looks like Pete has given the reins fully to Waldron, and Pete and John have built an O-Line that is good in Waldron's run game scheme.

Pete allowed Schotty and Russell to try the "Let Russ Cook" experiment. Teams figured out how to defend Russell starting with that game in Arizona and from there things got fugly and after that LRC had to be abandoned after lots of turnovers.

To me it's clear Pete gives his coordinators appropriate freedom, within his framework. Waldron came up with a nice game plan for the Bears game, and used the run game to punish Chicago for running cover 2. Penny had what, another 130+ yard day, Seahawks had a one score lead, and then Russell took the stupid 15 yard sack playing hero-ball, Myers missed the FG, and the Bears won on that 2-point conversion. Then Waldron came up with another great game plan and scheme for the Cardinals game.

The limiting factor the whole season has been Russell, repeatedly passing up move-the-chains completions in favor of hero-ball, taking ridiculous sacks holding the ball too long, and being last in the NFL (at the time) in 3rd down conversion rate. That is an issue between Waldron and Russell, not an issue of Pete micromanaging anything.

Whatever else, it looks like Waldron and Pete are on the same page and Pete doesn't need to micromanage him. It looks like Waldron "gets" what Pete wants and is able to execute on Pete's vision better than anyone before, if the last few games of the season and Penny's emergence are more than an end-of-season mirage. If anything, Waldron has gotten Pete to abandon the "impose our will" crap and instead switch to "exploit what the defense is giving us". It was refreshing to see! See the Matty F. Brown breakdowns of recent Seahawks games for more data on this.

OK, the DC side. Did Pete micromanage Dan Quinn, Gus Bradley, or Kris Richard? I'm leaving KNJ out of it, as he was fired rather than leaving for a promotion. Certainly Dan Quinn was his own man, if not all the others. For whatever reason, KNJ was not able to get Pete's defenses up to speed quickly enough. Thank you for your service, KNJ, and happy trails.

Overall, Pete is just a boss, a leader, who has definite ideas about how he wants things done. Based on the evidence, I'd say he's well within the "normal" range in what and how he delegates to OC and DC. Some coordinators are a better fit, they "get" what Pete wants (e.g., balanced attack, run game, deep passing threat/explosive plays) so in those cases, Pete is able to delegate more fully. I think that's Waldron right now, and hopefully also the new DC, when chosen.

That wasn't Pete Ball the last few games. They were running against soft boxes. The McVay/Waldron way. They have 2 plays called. If they get a light box they run it, they get a heavy box they throw it. Teams are terrified of Wilson and stay in a 2 high shell. The run is there to be had, Penny finally took advantage of it. Wilson is a huge part of why Penny went off at the end of the year. A pick your poison scenario.

Pete Ball = stubbornly run it until you get behind the sticks with no tactical logic, heavy box, light box, it doesn't matter. Then we you do throw, only throw deep, usually on 3rd and long. Cool with punting and playing the field position game. Not concerned with scoring points for 3 quarters as long as the opponent isn't scoring as well. Rope-a-Dope, shorten the game.

The crux of the "Let Russ Cook" movement was about letting Russ throw more on early downs to achieve balance instead of running hard headed into loaded boxes, and getting behind the sticks. As the Seahawks at the time were by far the worst in the league on 1st down predictability, ran the most into loaded boxes by a good margin, and were one of the worst 1st down running teams in the NFL, due to this predictability. It's not Run vs. Pass, as every Lehman wants to steer the convo. but predictability. It is also all encompassing. From lack of motion, boots, option routes, play variation, to even the kind of runs they would attempt (usually inside zone out of the gun into a loaded box.) To the pass plays that would also be called (everyone running deep.) It is a very shallow, predictable style that made everyone's job harder, especially the O-Line and QB. That is not what we saw at the end of this season. We saw McVay Ball and it was glorious. "Let Russ Cook" isn't pass it every play, running is bad. "Pete Ball" isn't run it every play, passing is bad.

Pete meddled and if he had left Waldron alone their Playaction and Motion numbers wouldn't have crumbled by midyear as those things are the heart of the McVay/Waldron offense and is a very obvious tell. It wasn't until the season was lost that Pete let Waldron revert back to his style, I surmise Pete wanted to get a proper eval of Shane as an OC to decide whether to keep him or not. Shane passed with flying colors.

LTH

Reaction score
I think your pick your poison scenario is exactly why Pete wants balance. I just think you sell Pete Short and don't give credit where credit is due because you don't like Pete.

LTH

Own The West

Reaction score
Fade":3obhobzp said:
olyfan63":3obhobzp said:

That wasn't Pete Ball the last few games. They were running against soft boxes. The McVay/Waldron way. They have 2 plays called. If they get a light box they run it, they get a heavy box they throw it. Teams are terrified of Wilson and stay in a 2 high shell. The run is there to be had, Penny finally took advantage of it. Wilson is a huge part of why Penny went off at the end of the year. A pick your poison scenario.

Pete Ball = stubbornly run it until you get behind the sticks with no tactical logic, heavy box, light box, it doesn't matter. Then we you do throw, only throw deep, usually on 3rd and long. Cool with punting and playing the field position game. Not concerned with scoring points for 3 quarters as long as the opponent isn't scoring as well. Rope-a-Dope, shorten the game.

The crux of the "Let Russ Cook" movement was about letting Russ throw more on early downs to achieve balance instead of running hard headed into loaded boxes, and getting behind the sticks. As the Seahawks at the time were by far the worst in the league on 1st down predictability, ran the most into loaded boxes by a good margin, and were one of the worst 1st down running teams in the NFL, due to this predictability. It's not Run vs. Pass, as every Lehman wants to steer the convo. but predictability. It is also all encompassing. From lack of motion, boots, option routes, play variation, to even the kind of runs they would attempt (usually inside zone out of the gun into a loaded box.) To the pass plays that would also be called (everyone running deep.) It is a very shallow, predictable style that made everyone's job harder, especially the O-Line and QB. That is not what we saw at the end of this season. We saw McVay Ball and it was glorious. "Let Russ Cook" isn't pass it every play, running is bad. "Pete Ball" isn't run it every play, passing is bad.

Pete meddled and if he had left Waldron alone their Playaction and Motion numbers wouldn't have crumbled by midyear as those things are the heart of the McVay/Waldron offense and is a very obvious tell. It wasn't until the season was lost that Pete let Waldron revert back to his style, I surmise Pete wanted to get a proper eval of Shane as an OC to decide whether to keep him or not. Shane passed with flying colors.

I think you have your definition of Pete Ball backwards. Pete wants to run against soft boxes and 2-high, and throw against heavy boxes and 1-high. Let Russ Cook wasn't balance, it was passing over running 2:1. And when teams came at us with soft boxes and 2-high, Russ/Shotty still wanted to throw it. Tension and firings ensued...

We've been a finesse team since Marshawn left and, while Pete's willing to let the Bevell's of the world experiment with jet sweeps and bubble screens, that's not Pete Carroll football. If you can't control the ball, you can't win playoff games. Pete knows this and it's what's put him at odds with his coordinators and his quarterback at times.

"Meddling" is what managers do. Nobody gets to go to work and just do whatever they feel like. If you're getting the job done, chances are your boss is going to leave you alone. If you're not, your boss *should* be meddling -- or they should be fired.

That said, Pete Carroll is a pretty light touch. He's considered a player's coach because he gives people a lot of leeway. The down side of that is when people (kids, adults, professional football players) get used to having their way most the time is that when they get told to shape up or do things different they squawk or rebel, because they're spoiled. Anyone who's been a manager or parent knows this behavior.

So when we talk about Pete meddling, I see it as a positive.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
'Meddling' would be a positive if it somehow contributed to success in achieving the actual key objective.

It isn't a positive if the meddling and Pete's goal has little to do with making and winning playoff games.

Then his coordinators have to achieve somehow despite the production expectations that may be counterproductive to the actual ultimate objective.

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1e1mvm1z said:
Maybe LTH.

But would you agree that 2 of Pete's biggest goals for his team are a successful run game & stopping the run?
That he starts each season with those at the top of his board?

Now, again - if we could be assured of being at least a top 7, if not top 5 rushing offense....would that make you confident we would make the playoffs?
(Because the numbers seem to indicate that you can be a tremendous rush offense and miss the playoffs easily.)

On the other hand, if you could be guaranteed to be one of the top 5 passing offenses - what do you think your chances at the playoffs would be?
(Because the #s seem to indicate they would be damn near 100%.)

Some of the top rushing offenses are missing the playoffs.
Almost all of the top passing offenses are making them.

So Pete goes in with goals for offense and defense - that have little to no correlation to success in the modern NFL.
Even if he is successful there is no guarantee of success!

You don't see that as being a problem for whatever coordinator needs to try to win while trying to somehow succeed at something that has little or no bearing on whether you end up a playoff team (a key goal of every NFL team)?

I think the Niners are a great example of a team that is successful at running the ball and doing well in the playoffs... look they just got done beating the pack... ran the ball 30 times for a hundred and some change passed the ball 11-19 for 132 against the number one seed and one of the best if not the best QB in the league. so yeah a run game can win games but balance is better..

LTH

nwHawk

Reaction score
In harsh elements on the road…