Tony Pauline: Seahawks want to trade Wilson

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2qlgbt5a said:
I'm not a capoholic. If Russ were to be traded, would it free up any money for the team this year, or will the cap hit nullify that?

Ans: It depends on the timing of the trade and the trade terms. The hawks would be on the hook for $39 mil dead money upon the trade happening but the other team could as part of the trade agree to pay part of it.

Mase

Reaction score
-- First of all, I admit I will be surprised if he is moved, despite all this chatter.

HOWEVER, have some of you that claim Carroll and to a lesser extent Schneider are going to kill this team with this trade. Maybe you could consider what you personally want out of the Hawks as a franchise. I can appreciate the challenges they face, because I can do math (salary cap). I have enjoyed the last couple of years. Balancing the rest of the team around the star quarterback's big contract. In the playoffs both years and within one yard of winning the division both times. In the toughest division in football.

Again, HOWEVER, for many of the same ones bashing Carroll, you talk about "championships", and no Super Bowl means a failed season. Reality check guys, the big payday to the QB is NOT what is getting teams to the Super Bowl. QBs on rookie deals (Mahomes), QBs taking below market value deals (Brady), or average QBs with superior talent around them (Goff & Garoppolo). It is just too difficult to have a great line, or a great pass rusher, or great cornerback, while paying the QB what we do.

So just ask yourself, what do you want. If it is championship or bust, then you should probably be routing for a trade, and for it to happen this year. Will be some very good players available with the coming cuts to get under the cap. Could be a year to rebuild quickly. Draft and develop a young QB, and you move back into serious contention within a year or two.

I prefer where we are now, but I understand the limitations. Hell, in Madden I tend to blow the team up and start from scratch. Fun, but that is Madden, and it doesn't have season tickets to pay for.

Mase