What’s the fairest way to deal with the Nfl rescheduling issue?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

Appearing on WGRZ Daybreak, Vic Carucci (h/t Melissa Holmes) reported that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will ultimately make the call on if the postponed game gets played and how it will unfold.

One option is to play the game within two days, while another bigger-picture option is to add a 19th week to the season and push everything back so that both teams can get in all of their games before the playoffs start:

At this point, it’s hard to imagine the teams link back up in two days. While it’s a short flight back, the Bills already flew home late Monday night/Tuesday morning, never mind how callous it might be to ask players to take the same field again so soon.

RiverDog

Reaction score
IMO they need to move the playoffs back a week and give the Bills/Bengals time to finish their game later this week, and that includes the NFC teams as well. It would mean giving up the bye week between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I mentioned this in the other thread, but assuming they both play as normal this weekend, then we can see how playoff seeding looks and if the game doesn't change anything, then I would say just cancel it and call it a tie or don't count it at all. No reason to make it up if it doesn't change the seeding.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
While that's a good idea, they need to decide this week, not next week, what they're going to do about the reschedule. Also, other teams may come out and complain that the Bills and Cincy only had to play 16 games etc. Not saying I agree with it, but you know it's coming.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The problem is that both the Bengals and Bills are in contention for the #1 overall seed, and without looking at all the tiebreakers, the possibility that the result of this game wouldn't have a huge impact on seeding would seem to be pretty low.

They just said a few hours ago that there would be no changes to the Week 18 schedule, and both the Bills and the Bengals were already on a short week. Tough spot to be in.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
The best way to deal with it is to sit back and see what happens. We don't make those decisions and the ones that do don't care what we think anyway.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The best way to deal with it is to sit back and see what happens. We don't make those decisions and the ones that do don't care what we think anyway.

Of course we aren’t the nfl, but we can have opinions on what the league should do.

Every outcome including doing nothing wikk result in non ideal decisions.

renofox

Reaction score
If the NFL was responsible for the long-term suspension of the game, it would be 100% on them to figure it out.

Instead, it was the teams (BUF & CIN) that made the call to discontinue the game.

Technically, the NFL could follow its own rules and charge each team with a forfeit, giving both teams a loss.

They could also resort to the catch-all "fairness" rule in the book, and award a tie to each team. I think this is the best option.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I realize the obvious but with the way things have been stated around here lately it seems as if most posts only qualify as conspiracy against all things Seahawks. And the league rah rah for Rogers. It's actually borderline embarrassing.

Whatever the league decides on this is going to come out crooked for somebody. So, rather than waste time guessing, sit and wait for an answer.

chris98251

Reaction score
I realize the obvious but with the way things have been stated around here lately it seems as if most posts only qualify as conspiracy against all things Seahawks. And the league rah rah for Rogers. It's actually borderline embarrassing.

Whatever the league decides on this is going to come out crooked for somebody. So, rather than waste time guessing, sit and wait for an answer.
Well close this place down, no point of discussion or opinions. We will just wait for everyone to do stuff.

As far as complaining, that is entrenched in the Forum, this would not be Seahawks.Net without it :) Rodgers and the suck up story line, Bettis, Manning, Brady, all get this as storied players and fan favorites or Villain, Rodgers has been squawking quitting for a couple years, they as the NFL want to ride his ass as much as they can before that Market goes dark again without a focal point player. Him in the playoffs would be their lighting this season. Look around and tell me another more Notable player other then Brady. There are some on the rise, but marketing goes with what's familiar and proven.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Well close this place down, no point of discussion or opinions. We will just wait for everyone to do stuff.

As far as complaining, that is entrenched in the Forum, this would not be Seahawks.Net without it :) Rodgers and the suck up story line, Bettis, Manning, Brady, all get this as storied players and fan favorites or Villain, Rodgers has been squawking quitting for a couple years, they as the NFL want to ride his ass as much as they can before that Market goes dark again without a focal point player. Him in the playoffs would be their lighting this season. Look around and tell me another more Notable player other then Brady. There are some on the rise, but marketing goes with what's familiar and proven.
Your hat's crooked.

renofox

Reaction score

I don't think it "comes out crooked" or is unfair for anybody.

The rules that were in place before the game started state clearly that both teams are automatically awarded a loss since they both technically forfeited, but that those rules can be overridden by the Commissioner and he can award.them each a tie.

BAD THINGS HAPPEN! But the notion that nobody should ever have to live with the consequences of this is a reflection of our society living in an un-reality where everything can always be fixed without creating new negative consequences.

Not possible.

Stick with the solutions offered by the rules in place when it happened, or the concept of rules becomes less valuable.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Discussions and opinions are fine. This issue with Damar is unique and new. Never happened before. The waiting is because it's a waste of time to keep going back and forth with speculation.

The tin foil hat crap is embarrassing.

BASF

Reaction score
I don't think it "comes out crooked" or is unfair for anybody.

The rules that were in place before the game started state clearly that both teams are automatically awarded a loss since they both technically forfeited, but that those rules can be overridden by the Commissioner and he can award.them each a tie.

BAD THINGS HAPPEN! But the notion that nobody should ever have to live with the consequences of this is a reflection of our society living in an un-reality where everything can always be fixed without creating new negative consequences.

Not possible.

Stick with the solutions offered by the rules in place when it happened, or the concept of rules becomes less valuable.
I tend to agree, but the extremely high loss of revenue for the game not being played is going to weigh heavily into the NFL's decision.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Discussions and opinions are fine. This issue with Damar is unique and new. Never happened before. The waiting is because it's a waste of time to keep going back and forth with speculation.

The tin foil hat crap is embarrassing.

By that measure, everything here is a waste of time then

This place is created for fans to share ideas, vent, speculate, yes?

Besides I'm not seeing anything all that tin foily myself. Seems fairly tame honestly

Latest posts