Wilson’s head is the issue not his finger

keasley45

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3dpszl9g said:
OrangeGravy":3dpszl9g said:
keasley45":3dpszl9g said:
Yup.

Was hoping the game tape was already posted but most likely won't be until tomorrow. Eager to look at a few plays
I'd interested to know what he saw presnap that lead him to check into that double covered deep shot to DK

The one where Metcalf dropped that was right in his hands? He probably saw his 6' 4" WR having an advantage over smaller secondary guys and wanted to give him a chance to make a play. Ball was right there and he dropped it like he does so many other times. If he would have caught the ball like he should, the play wouldnt even be brought up.

i think his point was why take a play to a double covered WR way down field when you have an easier play elsewhere?

The job of the QB is to quickly asses risk and reward, understand the situation, how many yards are needed and look at situations where if one of his WR is doubled, seeing where the open guy might be. Thats the entire plotline of criticism against Russ. Its the chess match that is football. take away one guy or two, leaves someone else open. You can critique DK for not making a highlight catch, or you can critique Russ for choosing to throw a ball that only gets caught if his guy make a highlight catch, when the chess play is finding what the defense just gave you.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm all for giving DK some chances, but throwing a post into a single high safety has about as low chance of completion as you can get.

keasley45

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":1qbxc5do said:
keasley45":1qbxc5do said:
51702853559 d1c1bccee3 cScreenshot_20211124-105811_Chrome by J_Otte, on Flickr

I added more arrows and bubbles to show you the assignments the safeties had on this play that they were committed to and were obvious the entire time. They were covering the areas of the field Russ goes 99% of the time regardless of the read... DK and Lockett outside and leaving the middle open.

Dissly has covered 17 yards. The only safety capable of making the play has dropped 11 and is still dropping

51702853599 e090be4fe6 cScreenshot_20211124-105909_Chrome by J_Otte, on Flickr

This is as close as that safety would have been if the ball was thrown to Dissly if the ball was released when Dissly was 17 yards down field. This is of course hypothetical because the play was over by then. point being a safety running backward and outside wouldnt have had an angle to make this play at any point the pass could have been completed.

So you ate saying they can't plant there foot and get to the ball in time for that throw? Deep safety is maybe five yards off hash where dissly is and other safety is probably 8 yards off opposite hash...your saying they wouldn't get there?

yes. thats exactly what I'm saying. If Dissly isnt open on that play, then theres never in the hostory of theleague been a wr that is open. It takes energy to stop a back pedal and close on a guy thats running full speed. Its not as though the safety was over the top of Dissly. if he was, I'd give it to you and say yeah. Risky, because for every step Dissly makes he's running into coverage. but the safety is moving upfield and away and his priority is being able to close on Lockett... hes fading that way and has surrendered the middle because if he plays the middle he knows Russ hits Lockett. He's caught in between two routes and would have to see the ball coming out before he even makes the decision of which way to go. no wayhe makes that play. But Russ wanted Lockett, which is why when he sees the safety fading outside to double Lockett, he pulled the ball down.

This is obvious and what Russ does over and over. His first read which is Lockett is covered. This he could have seen pretty quickly from the snap becuase the safety is constantly moving that direction and with every step, leaving Dissly more and more open. And Russ leaves it.

keasley45

Reaction score
keasley45":33gcy4h9 said:
jamescasey1124":33gcy4h9 said:
Omg no. You are going back and forth between your pics.
Throw with anticipation and safety will turn and drop on it because it is not going to be a laser. Both safeties are watching russ the whole time.

The laser I'm talking about is the pic from behind russ showing dissly going open in-between three linebackers. A laser may work there because lb going to cover Collins is breaking back and out.

You loft the pass over the lbs I gurantee you one safety drops onto it which is what happened. Safety right was going deep and stopped, turned and faced russ leaning toward middle pass to dissly. The safety your calling flat footed is going deep with lockett, but also leaning middle pass on dissly while back pedaling.

Your underrating coverages and game speeds of players on a freeze frame.

The whole time russ is looking dissly...doesn't see Collins and doesn't see blitz from right. Chandler got there in an instant. However, Russ could have gone second or third read and got ball out. Dissly was not open. Your talking one te in the middle of 5(3 lbs and 2 safeties).

Bro, i put in yellow arrows to show you where the safeties went. They were moving away from the play the entire time. AWAY. There's NO way on God's green earth that either of those safeties make the play. They would have to literally be not of this earth to do so. Its not physically possible. They are dropping to outside coverage leaving WHAT wide open? The middle.

The safeties were fading backward at nearly the same pace Dissly was running forward. Scroll to the top. Im not underrating anything. If the play was as close to being covered as you claim i wouldnt even had called it out.

And the thing you say about throwing with anticipation doesn't really make sense. A throw with anticipation is exactly the thing that gets passes completed in even great coverage (which this play was actually beatable coverage) because the defenders dont get a jump on a wr because by the time they are immediately open, the ball is on the way. And again, thats the point. You watch the Bucs, the Chargers, The Rams, GB, Dallas, KC... you watch ANY of those offenses run and you will see balls being squeezed between zones, over zones, to a wr just coming out of his break when the defender is in tight man... because the QB pulls the trigger based on reading the coverage and knows where to put the ball precisely when the player will be open. The ball should have been in Dissly's hands 2 steps after he turned around. It wasnt a hard throw, didnt have to be a laser. The LB was beat, the other lb to that side was covering everett to Russ left, and the LB to the right of the play was scrambling to cover Collins.

chris98251

Reaction score
The pass would have been a standard type pass not a high arc, not a laser since he was going away, pass was easy, catch going away was harder he would have had to look the ball into his hands, that was all.

Ball is in the air a couple seconds really, not enough time for a defender to change direction and come up and make a play on it.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
keasley45":2p040n7s said:
keasley45":2p040n7s said:
jamescasey1124":2p040n7s said:
Throw with anticipation and safety will turn and drop on it because it is not going to be a laser. Both safeties are watching russ the whole time.

The laser I'm talking about is the pic from behind russ showing dissly going open in-between three linebackers. A laser may work there because lb going to cover Collins is breaking back and out.

You loft the pass over the lbs I gurantee you one safety drops onto it which is what happened. Safety right was going deep and stopped, turned and faced russ leaning toward middle pass to dissly. The safety your calling flat footed is going deep with lockett, but also leaning middle pass on dissly while back pedaling.

The whole time russ is looking dissly...doesn't see Collins and doesn't see blitz from right. Chandler got there in an instant. However, Russ could have gone second or third read and got ball out. Dissly was not open. Your talking one te in the middle of 5(3 lbs and 2 safeties).

Bro, i put in yellow arrows to show you where the safeties went. They were moving away from the play the entire time. AWAY. There's NO way on God's green earth that either of those safeties make the play. They would have to literally be not of this earth to do so. Its not physically possible. They are dropping to outside coverage leaving WHAT wide open? The middle.

The safeties were fading backward at nearly the same pace Dissly was running forward. Scroll to the top. Im not underrating anything. If the play was as close to being covered as you claim i wouldnt even had called it out.

And the thing you say about throwing with anticipation doesn't really make sense. A throw with anticipation is exactly the thing that gets passes completed in even great coverage (which this play was actually beatable coverage) because the defenders dont get a jump on a wr because by the time they are immediately open, the ball is on the way. And again, thats the point. You watch the Bucs, the Chargers, The Rams, GB, Dallas, KC... you watch ANY of those offenses run and you will see balls being squeezed between zones, over zones, to a wr just coming out of his break when the defender is in tight man... because the QB pulls the trigger based on reading the coverage and knows where to put the ball precisely when the player will be open. The ball should have been in Dissly's hands 2 steps after he turned around. It wasnt a hard throw, didnt have to be a laser. The LB was beat, the other lb to that side was covering everett to Russ left, and the LB to the right of the play was scrambling to cover Collins.

And he didn't pull the trigger on this play. Which indicates he didn't think dissly was open. Just because you think he was in hindsight looking at freeze frames doesn't mean he did. within the matter of milliseconds it takes to make that play he didn't think so...you would rather him throw the pick so you have an actual reason to bitch.

Dissly was safety squeezed with linebackers underneath and you are saying he would have been wide open. No. Safeties are better athletes then you give them credit for and the one thing you are ignoring is what russ actually sees and feels sitting in the pocket. I gurantee this whole play happened in less than 4 seconds from snap to sack. One because Collins was barely open by the time sack happened and dissly ran a straight go. Safeties started in cover two and no gurantee from presnap which direction they would go.

You are assuming dissly running directly into 3 lbs and passed into 2 Safeties that he is open. Your wrong. In the two seconds he reads that Chandler Jones is already in the backfield as soon as russ hits back foot. That is clear in picture. Then your saying he saw lockett, not open, dissly not open so he should have stepped up and ran with probably less than 1 sec to sacked. Doesn't happen man.

Again, overly critical of 1 player vs everything that is breaking down.

chris98251

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":1fpeef43 said:
keasley45":1fpeef43 said:
keasley45":1fpeef43 said:
jamescasey1124":1fpeef43 said:

And he didn't pull the trigger on this play. Which indicates he didn't think dissly was open. Just because you think he was in hindsight looking at freeze frames doesn't mean he did. within the matter of milliseconds it takes to make that play he didn't think so...you would rather him throw the pick so you have an actual reason to bitch.

Dissly was safety squeezed with linebackers underneath and you are saying he would have been wide open. No. Safeties are better athletes then you give them credit for and the one thing you are ignoring is what russ actually sees and feels sitting in the pocket. I gurantee this whole play happened in less than 4 seconds from snap to sack. One because Collins was barely open by the time sack happened and dissly ran a straight go. Safeties started in cover two and no gurantee from presnap which direction they would go.

You are assuming dissly running directly into 3 lbs and passed into 2 Safeties that he is open. Your wrong. In the two seconds he reads that Chandler Jones is already in the backfield as soon as russ hits back foot. That is clear in picture. Then your saying he saw lockett, not open, dissly not open so he should have stepped up and ran with probably less than 1 sec to sacked. Doesn't happen man.

You said it he didn't think he was open, the real issue is he didn't trust the player or himself to make the throw and may have a turnover if Dissly misplayed the ball and tipped it up, he over through it somehow. That has been his issue no matter the receiver. Thats wide ass open for any QB of worth other then Wilson.

John63

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":1vdxezl0 said:
keasley45":1vdxezl0 said:
keasley45":1vdxezl0 said:
jamescasey1124":1vdxezl0 said:

And he didn't pull the trigger on this play. Which indicates he didn't think dissly was open. Just because you think he was in hindsight looking at freeze frames doesn't mean he did. within the matter of milliseconds it takes to make that play he didn't think so...you would rather him throw the pick so you have an actual reason to b!@ch.

This is not to mention over-critical of one player when other players of the same position do it too but they are okay to do it.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
What you are also not looking at is the drop step wilson took. Is that play design or do you think he did that himself?
Gurantee it is designed because they practice formational plays where they have dedicated amount of drop steps. 3 5 and 7. Not Russell's fault Chandler Jones beat him there. Cards ran a good defensive play. Also Chandler timed that up really well. I would suspect there is another problem. You don't see that though and everything is Russell's reads or mis-reads.

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":1io89v5k said:
jamescasey1124":1io89v5k said:
keasley45":1io89v5k said:
keasley45":1io89v5k said:

And he didn't pull the trigger on this play. Which indicates he didn't think dissly was open. Just because you think he was in hindsight looking at freeze frames doesn't mean he did. within the matter of milliseconds it takes to make that play he didn't think so...you would rather him throw the pick so you have an actual reason to b!@ch.

This is not to mention over-critical of one player when other players of the same position do it too but they are okay to do it.

I don't care if kyler Murray or anybody else can't make that throw. He's not our franchise qb.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
chris98251":23fbj19t said:
jamescasey1124":23fbj19t said:
keasley45":23fbj19t said:
keasley45":23fbj19t said:

You said it he didn't think he was open, the real issue is he didn't trust the player or himself to make the throw and may have a turnover if Dissly misplayed the ball and tipped it up, he over through it somehow. That has been his issue no matter the receiver. Thats wide ass open for any QB of worth other then Wilson.

No it's not in the time given. Didnt trust himself? Really to throw a potential 5050. Your right...I would have held it too. Besides no one on the hawks this year has show they can easily win a jump ball. Wonder why he questions those throws.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
keasley45":3edwp97d said:
John63":3edwp97d said:
jamescasey1124":3edwp97d said:
keasley45":3edwp97d said:

I don't care if kyler Murray or anybody else can't make that throw. He's not our franchise qb.

It's not just kyler. The only qb that makes this throw you are talking about is rodgers. Maybe. Even then it is questionable and it would have to be d. Adams running the route and not a slower dissly.

keasley45

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":3cxq88na said:
What you are also not looking at is the drop step wilson took. Is that play design or do you think he did that himself?
Gurantee it is designed because they practice formational plays where they have dedicated amount of drop steps. 3 5 and 7. Not Russell's fault Chandler Jones beat him there. Cards ran a good defensive play. Also Chandler timed that up really well. I would suspect there is another problem. You don't see that though and everything is Russell's reads or mis-reads.

I think I mentioned that A. If the qb reads a defense and in the first steps back sees a wr is going to be open he can modify his drop to hit the play - Anticipation. The notion that a qb is going to forego a gimme play because coach said to take a 5 step drop is absurd and it wasn't that. AND Russ's read despite the safety dropping g wide and Dissly breaking free right away was Lockett. When that was covered, play was over. Obvious read was Dissly as soon as the safety over Dissly fades outside. LITERALLY FOOTBALLE 101. B the pocket was an easy read, step up and right and the field is open to Dissly still or Collins.

And honestly, if Russ can't make that read and sees it as being as difficult as you do, there's no hope for this offense or this team.

keasley45

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":1afcovew said:
keasley45":1afcovew said:
John63":1afcovew said:
jamescasey1124":1afcovew said:

It's not just kyler. The only qb that makes this throw you are talking about is rodgers. Maybe. Even then it is questionable and it would have to be d. Adams running the route and not a slower dissly.

Are you kidding?? You're turning a gimme read and a gimme throw into something only 1 qb in the league can make??

LMAO.

keasley45

Reaction score
keasley45":cfojq0pw said:
jamescasey1124":cfojq0pw said:
keasley45":cfojq0pw said:
John63":cfojq0pw said:

Are you kidding?? You're turning a gimme read and a gimme throw into something only 1 qb in the league can make??

LMAO.

You claim THIS PLAY IS COVERED AND RISKY AND THEN IM SURE WILL DEFEND THE BS PASSES INTO OBVIOUS SOUBLE COVERAGE. Over and over and over.

LMAO

keasley45

Reaction score
Again, the qb that routinely throws balls that have incredibly low chances of completion at times, and has his fans rally to his defense, looks at this throw and thinks it's too hard.

That's a problem.

Forget the fact that the read was simple as soon as the safety moved outside and Dissly didnt have anyone in front of him within 20 yards.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
keasley45":dfxw53su said:
jamescasey1124":dfxw53su said:

I think I mentioned that A. If the qb reads a defense and in the first steps back sees a wr is going to be open he can modify his drop to hit the play - Anticipation. The notion that a qb is going to forego a gimme play because coach said to take a 5 step drop is absurd and it wasn't that. AND Russ's read despite the safety dropping g wide and Dissly breaking free right away was Lockett. When that was covered, play was over. Obvious read was Dissly as soon as the safety over Dissly fades outside. LITERALLY FOOTBALLE 101. B the pocket was an easy read, step up and right and the field is open to Dissly still or Collins.

And honestly, if Russ can't make that read and sees it as being as difficult as you do, there's no hope for this offense or this team.

Nah...its more of because he doesn't make dumb decisions like you. Will take a sack over turnover and doesn't throw plays you wish he would in hindsight. Doesn't matter man...you going to believe what you want and not what is reality. Your talking about modifying drop steps in the middle of looking at a completely different reciever. Oh yeah cuz that makes sense. Supposedly modify a drop step to reciever your not even looking for. Hmmm...seems funny. I guess no one wants to be wrong huh.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
keasley45":1jwczlgp said:
Again, the qb that routinely throws balls that have incredibly low chances of completion at times, and has his fans rally to his defense, looks at this throw and thinks it's too hard.

That's a problem.

Forget the fact that the read was simple as soon as the safety moved outside and Dissly didnt have anyone in front of him within 20 yards.

I've already proved safeties were within 20 yards. You can stop saying that. The pass itself would have be 20 yards if it was completed to dissly and your saying the safeties weren't with in 20 yards? Well that would put them on the sidelines homie. Your just wrong dude. Accept this L.

hawks85

Reaction score
LTH":2k1if9sg said:
12th Dimension":2k1if9sg said:
He had a bad game. It happens. His mental mistakes far outweighed his physical issues.

Even with all that, I thought it was a game we had a chance to win.

Well the way I see it is that this was gthe issue last year... Russ just has this thing to where he wants to be a gun slinger and he is forcing balls into double coverage not because he is being selfish its because he believes he can make the play and Defenses have adjusted to him but he keeps throwing into double coverage and throwing INT's instead of taking what the D gives him and forcing the D to adjust to him again... The big plays will happen if he is patient but he is not.. he needs to wait until he gets a one on one with Metcalf or Lockett and that's not going to happen unless he adjusts to what the D is doing...

People want to blame Carroll but its not Carroll or Waldron it's the decisions Russ is making... Geno is not as good a QB as Russ physically but I think he would have had a better game than Russ did purely because of his decision making...

LTH

^^^^THIS^^^^
I've been saying this for a LONG time. Wilson is a backyard gun slinging QB. He doesn't know how to and is very very bad at reading a defense and making the right decisions. He can't pick a defense apart whatsoever and his foot speed is sloppy and extremely bad. These are staples to operating a west coast offense properly. Look at Montana in SB23. A 1:53 left on the clock and drove that niners team down the field 90 something yards and pick that defense apart without throwing a single pass over 20 yards and scored the winning touchdown to Taylor on a slant route. That's a west coast QB in a west coast offense and that's what Wilson should be doing. Instead Wilson drops back a million miles and just chucks it up to the furthest WR in double coverage with guys clearly open in the flat and in the middle of the field. The other issue is that Wilson is very religious and thinks all things are possible through Christ, well he needs to have a sit down the Jesus and re-evaluate.

keasley45

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2mr4h5v7 said:
keasley45":2mr4h5v7 said:

That's a problem.

I've already proved safeties were within 20 yards. You can stop saying that. The pass itself would have be 20 yards if it was completed to dissly and your saying the safeties weren't with in 20 yards? Well that would put them on the sidelines homie. Your just wrong dude. Accept this L.

I said in front of him. Clearly. Point to the player that's even 30 yards in front of him on the line he's running.

Latest posts