Wilson’s head is the issue not his finger

LTH

Reaction score
keasley45":30pi972w said:
So with Schotty... i think it might have been a case of him defending his position at years end- that the games he was calling worked. I'm sure Pete wanted to change the approach and adjust to a more run based scheme. Schotty sees the same stuff we can on All 22 and I'm sure he looked at last season and said 'we shouldn't have lost against the Giants or Rams (x2) or Cardinals based on poor offensive play' . And I'm sure his argument, and it would be valid, is that those games would have been W's had the QB just done what he was supposed to. So the change that needs to be made is the QB needs to play better... not that the scheme is wrong.

Pete on the other hand knows Russ by now and is certain what he can and can't or won't do. So adhering to the idea that Russ needed tough love and just push through and do his job correctly was maybe a non starter for Pete.

And it's also possible that Russ may have saw the easier path forward being to get rid of the guy who was going to push harder on his flaws, not change the scheme, - because by now, Schotty knew all of them- and reset with a coach who could scheme around them. It preserves his reputation, shifts the narrative, and if a brilliant OC can come in and confuse defenses enough in his playcalls...well then if Russ's secret flaw is presnap reads... all of that gets a whole lot easier.

In comes Waldron. But there's only so much scheming around inability or stubborness that is possible. And here we are.

Not saying that's what happened, but when you look at his shortfalls now in year 10 and that with now a 3rd OC, we're running the same bland stuff and NOT creating off of anticipation... it in my opinion is an entirely plausible scenario. That and you take subtle remarks like Russ comment after the Titans game when asked about whether he could have helped the team more by taking more of what was available instead of looking for the big plays...his response was ' we put up 24 points '. That's an entirely defensive posture triggered by a question about his decision making. The answer was a profound yes, he could have helped. But that would be acknowledging the elephant in the room.

If you look at the game stats against the Rams in the playoffs it supports your theory, Seattle running backs were 20 carries for 82 yards for 4.1 yards per carry. Carson was 16-77 ... I did notice that Wilson hit some middle routes he was 11 for 27 for 174... but again what killed them was the sacks 5-32. TOP Rams 33.29 Seahawks 26.21 and 3rd down conversions, penalties 9-60 yards... just not enough offensive plays. the same thing that has been happening this year only schotty isn't the problem so it seems... but he probably wasn't going to throw Wilson under the bus... but interesting to see what the Rams did 40+ carries for 150+ yards they just controlled the tempo of the game totally on the ground with a QB with a hurt hand.. gee that sounds like what Pete wanted to do against GB.

LTH

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
keasley45":2vsewdii said:
So with Schotty... i think it might have been a case of him defending his position at years end- that the games he was calling worked. I'm sure Pete wanted to change the approach and adjust to a more run based scheme. Schotty sees the same stuff we can on All 22 and I'm sure he looked at last season and said 'we shouldn't have lost against the Giants or Rams (x2) or Cardinals based on poor offensive play' . And I'm sure his argument, and it would be valid, is that those games would have been W's had the QB just done what he was supposed to. So the change that needs to be made is the QB needs to play better... not that the scheme is wrong.

Pete on the other hand knows Russ by now and is certain what he can and can't or won't do. So adhering to the idea that Russ needed tough love and just push through and do his job correctly was maybe a non starter for Pete.

And it's also possible that Russ may have saw the easier path forward being to get rid of the guy who was going to push harder on his flaws, not change the scheme, - because by now, Schotty knew all of them- and reset with a coach who could scheme around them. It preserves his reputation, shifts the narrative, and if a brilliant OC can come in and confuse defenses enough in his playcalls...well then if Russ's secret flaw is presnap reads... all of that gets a whole lot easier.

In comes Waldron. But there's only so much scheming around inability or stubborness that is possible. And here we are.

Not saying that's what happened, but when you look at his shortfalls now in year 10 and that with now a 3rd OC, we're running the same bland stuff and NOT creating off of anticipation... it in my opinion is an entirely plausible scenario. That and you take subtle remarks like Russ comment after the Titans game when asked about whether he could have helped the team more by taking more of what was available instead of looking for the big plays...his response was ' we put up 24 points '. That's an entirely defensive posture triggered by a question about his decision making. The answer was a profound yes, he could have helped. But that would be acknowledging the elephant in the room.
If you go back and look at all the talk when Pete canned Bevell, it was all about finding someone to be more heavy handed with Russell. Someone that would demand more pocket discipline from Russell and get him to step up in clean pockets instead of fleeing. Also someone that would be more critical when Russ made mistakes.. Schotty did just that early on. Somehow it devolved into the LRC movement and ended with Russell playing like he did to end the year last year. Who knows what went wrong between those 3, but I personally believe that Pete is Russell's biggest defender in the organization. If he wasn't, I think we would've seen Russell somewhere else when the last contract ended

toffee

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":2r0ng34i said:
keasley45":2r0ng34i said:

If you go back and look at all the talk when Pete canned Bevell, it was all about finding someone to be more heavy handed with Russell. Someone that would demand more pocket discipline from Russell and get him to step up in clean pockets instead of fleeing. Also someone that would be more critical when Russ made mistakes.. Schotty did just that early on. Somehow it devolved into the LRC movement and ended with Russell playing like he did to end the year last year. Who knows what went wrong between those 3, but I personally believe that Pete is Russell's biggest defender in the organization. If he wasn't, I think we would've seen Russell somewhere else when the last contract ended

No one, absolutely no one could put limits on Mr. Unlimited. You want to discipline Russ, or want him to be a game manager again, all these are like putting shackles on Mr. unlimited. Please don't kid yourself, our chef wants to cook, and he will. If he couldn't cook here, he will leave and cook somewhere else.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

LTH

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":1kx1obiy said:
keasley45":1kx1obiy said:

Yeah I mean I see that Carroll is a defender of Russ which makes these Russ "poor decision making" arguments interesting ... Listening to Carroll he says that its not about Russ making poor choices that it's about running the ball more, 3rd down conversion and TOP making so there are not enough plays to establish the run game If I'm understanding him right cause I was only half listening...but ya know if he does recognize the issue (which I'm going to call the Keasley45 theory LOL) it's not like he is publicly going to throw Russ under the bus... after all the first rule is protect the team. At the same token isn't not running the ball and making poor choices directly effect 3rd down conversion and TOP which effects the amount of plays the offense has to run. I guess it does LOL I'm not sure I understand his point...maybe I have to go back and listen again...

LTH

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Russell is tough to evaluate because his skill set is so atypical for a QB. The starting point for most people here is you have an elite QB. From there everything else related to the offense from coaching to playcalling gets evaluated through that lens. If the offense is struggling the elite QB is the last place everyone is gonna look to as the problem. It's a perfectly reasonable thought process.

I'm not of the opinion that Russell is an elite QB. He's an elite athlete and football player that plays the QB position. Those skills are why he makes so many great plays. When it comes to the specific skills required to execute the QB position, Russell is NOT elite overall. Arm yes. Accuracy, mostly yes. Pre and post snap reads, below average. Pocket awareness-discipline-presence (pick your preferred term), below average. Ability to use the whole field, below average. This skill set is the problem. This skill set it what gets OCs fired. This skill set is why Russell and the team have always been bad on 3rd down. It's why he can't move the ball consistently. Think about how hard it is to call plays for a QB that won't throw to 1/3 of the field. You want to know why the play calling looks so disjointed, there's your answer. It's easy to see if you remove the elite QB lens. Elite QBs don't get zero MVP votes despite good numbers.

You know what the bread and butter of the Rams/ Waldron passing attack is, dig routes. What do kupp and woods kill us with, dig routes. You know what part of the field dig routes exploit, the intermediate middle. What do you do right now if you're Waldron and you've discovered that your elite QB cant execute the best part of what you want to run in the passing game? The GB game should put the Pete handcuffing russ narrative to bed forever. Russ handcuffs Russ

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":3tyncct3 said:
keasley45":3tyncct3 said:

Yeah, Schottenheimer was known in every location he's been an OC as a guy that runs a tight ship and demands discipline. He also has a bit of a reputation as a QB guru. Drew Brees personally credited him as being the one that was responsible for elevating his game. At first under Schottenheimer, Wilson was forced to play a more traditional game. He started climbing the pocket and taking what he was given more frequently. Things started to go back to normal as time marched on. At first it was rough for Wilson but he was learning.

I'm curious as to what went on between the three. Objectively our offense improved each year Schottenheimer was OC. I know Pete Carroll and Schottenheimer got into it with each other a few times. I heard stories of Carroll changing plays at the last minute. It also seems as time went on under Schottenheimer, Wilson started regressing to old habits. I'd be very curious to hear what went on behind the scenes. If we look at his playcalls too, they were actually the type of stuff that you would call to beat the defenses that showed up against Wilson, as shown by Kurt Warner. In fact, in those videos Warner was praising some of the play calls. Wilson just ignored the open receivers looking for something to open up deep.

For as good as Wilson is, he seems to have a serious lack of fundamentals in some regards. Our QB is definitely a unique duck.

keasley45

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":1uvaa4ct said:
Russell is tough to evaluate because his skill set is so atypical for a QB. The starting point for most people here is you have an elite QB. From there everything else related to the offense from coaching to playcalling gets evaluated through that lens. If the offense is struggling the elite QB is the last place everyone is gonna look to as the problem. It's a perfectly reasonable thought process.

I'm not of the opinion that Russell is an elite QB. He's an elite athlete and football player that plays the QB position. Those skills are why he makes so many great plays. When it comes to the specific skills required to execute the QB position, Russell is NOT elite overall. Arm yes. Accuracy, mostly yes. Pre and post snap reads, below average. Pocket awareness-discipline-presence (pick your preferred term), below average. Ability to use the whole field, below average. This skill set is the problem. This skill set it what gets OCs fired. This skill set is why Russell and the team have always been bad on 3rd down. It's why he can't move the ball consistently. Think about how hard it is to call plays for a QB that won't throw to 1/3 of the field. You want to know why the play calling looks so disjointed, there's your answer. It's easy to see if you remove the elite QB lens. Elite QBs don't get zero MVP votes despite good numbers.

You know what the bread and butter of the Rams/ Waldron passing attack is, dig routes. What do kupp and woods kill us with, dig routes. You know what part of the field dig routes exploit, the intermediate middle. What do you do right now if you're Waldron and you've discovered that your elite QB cant execute the best part of what you want to run in the passing game? The GB game should put the Pete handcuffing russ narrative to bed forever. Russ handcuffs Russ

That's it. All of it... In a nutshell.

keasley45

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":2qp5op2n said:
Let the games begin. Cowherd has started parroting Russell's camp talking points and now Peter King, JSs media guy is hitting back? This article outlines what we've been discussing pretty well

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/11/1 ... s-seahawks

That article says it all and supports all of the criticism in this thread. Unless Wilson changes, we have gone as far as we can. And I highly doubt he will be willing to admit his flaws now because that would entirely destroy his reputation and legacy. AN ELITE QB THAT STRUGGLES TO READ DEFENSES? That dog don't hunt. So I don't see another OC coming in here and fixing it. And any HC that would come here that's worth his salt would demand better play.

hoxrox

Reaction score
keasley45":3jw6am7e said:
OrangeGravy":3jw6am7e said:
Let the games begin. Cowherd has started parroting Russell's camp talking points and now Peter King, JSs media guy is hitting back? This article outlines what we've been discussing pretty well

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/11/1 ... s-seahawks

That article says it all and supports all of the criticism in this thread. Unless Wilson changes, we have gone as far as we can. And I highly doubt he will be willing to admit his flaws now because that would entirely destroy his reputation and legacy. AN ELITE QB THAT STRUGGLES TO READ DEFENSES? That dog don't hunt. So I don't see another OC coming in here and fixing it. And any HC that would come here that's worth his salt would demand better play.

You're right - maybe he needs a hard nosed coach, instead of a player's coach. Pete has the "always compete" card, but who is competing for Russell's job? No one. So the approach simply doesn't work.

John63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1vj58bal said:
OrangeGravy":1vj58bal said:
keasley45":1vj58bal said:

Yeah, Schottenheimer was known in every location he's been an OC as a guy that runs a tight ship and demands discipline. He also has a bit of a reputation as a QB guru. Drew Brees personally credited him as being the one that was responsible for elevating his game. At first under Schottenheimer, Wilson was forced to play a more traditional game. He started climbing the pocket and taking what he was given more frequently. Things started to go back to normal as time marched on. At first it was rough for Wilson but he was learning.

I'm curious as to what went on between the three. Objectively our offense improved each year Schottenheimer was OC. I know Pete Carroll and Schottenheimer got into it with each other a few times. I heard stories of Carroll changing plays at the last minute. It also seems as time went on under Schottenheimer, Wilson started regressing to old habits. I'd be very curious to hear what went on behind the scenes. If we look at his playcalls too, they were actually the type of stuff that you would call to beat the defenses that showed up against Wilson, as shown by Kurt Warner. In fact, in those videos Warner was praising some of the play calls. Wilson just ignored the open receivers looking for something to open up deep.

For as good as Wilson is, he seems to have a serious lack of fundamentals in some regards. Our QB is definitely a unique duck.

The question is was it really Wilson or was PC in his head telling him to go back to Pete ball with his throws meaning chunk plays. W will never know but we do know in PCs own book he wants to run, get chunk plays in the passing game, meaning long throws, and he was to throw outside the numbers. So that means most of this is on PC. He created his Frankenstein.

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":2j91iaau said:
Spin Doctor":2j91iaau said:
OrangeGravy":2j91iaau said:
keasley45":2j91iaau said:

The question is was it really Wilson or was PC in his head telling him to go back to Pete ball with his throws meaning chunk plays. W will never know but we do know in PCs own book he wants to run, get chunk plays in the passing game, meaning long throws, and he was to throw outside the numbers. So that means most of this is on PC. He created his Frankenstein.

I think in the beginning it was both, started out more PC. He had a vision of the reliable game manager 'tannehill' type that he coveted. And so he had a Matt H and TJ that inm don't think he was necessarily satisfied with. Then he and John got the dude from GB, who looked to be capable of running a fairly sophisticated offense. He wasn't a knuckle dragging, turn and hand the ball of type... so i don't think in his heart of hearts, Pete is this primitive, offensive 'brain dead' HC. I think he tolerate aggressive play and play calling beyond the run game.

But they got Wilson the same year. A guy who could tolerate the patchwork line and still make things happen, and one who had heart and a flare for the dramatic. They didn't get him because of his off the charts QB acumen. They got him because he would give it his all and because he above all was a winner. And I think got complacent and relied on that too much. And just as Russ doesn't seem as though he's wanting to improve, I also don't think Pete was asking him to, because russ was giving him and his defense everything they needed.

So Russ fit the bill. Problem was neither actually took a step to actually become more than what they came into the league with. Russbstill does Russ, making amazing athletic football plays at QB, growing now into his own legend, and not improving year over year.

Pete still believes in Defense and running. At times to a stubborn , foolish degree as wasbthe case against NO. But with Pete, I have to say he, for better or worse, relented and gave the reigns over entirely this year. He moved off of his spot tbis year and actually last year as well to see if 'the other way' that Russ was asking for could work. And honestly, if we'd have kept winning last year and shown to be at all capable of sustaining high level play, I think Pete woukd still be ok with it. I mean he's been ok with it this year despite the poor results.

So in all, both have shared culpability. Pete to start, both over the last 6 years, but now... the stick that's stuck in the mud is Russ. Question is what Pete does about it.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Announcers now calling out Russ for misses.

Really sad to see as a Hawk fan and Russ fan.

keasley45

Reaction score
Yup.

Was hoping the game tape was already posted but most likely won't be until tomorrow. Eager to look at a few plays

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
keasley45":3dlrqy4w said:
Yup.

Was hoping the game tape was already posted but most likely won't be until tomorrow. Eager to look at a few plays
I'd interested to know what he saw presnap that lead him to check into that double covered deep shot to DK

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":2jokz8kh said:
keasley45":2jokz8kh said:
Yup.

I'd interested to know what he saw presnap that lead him to check into that double covered deep shot to DK

Ego and stardom.

keasley45

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":291supb1 said:
keasley45":291supb1 said:
Yup.

Likely the same thing he saw against GB that led to the throw to triple covered Lockett...

He couldn't hit the X, Y or A button fast enough

I swear, the more I watch him play, the more I'm reminded of how I used to play Madden. My fingers were never coordinated enough to hit the right wr who was open, so i would scramble around and heave the ball to the wr who'd run off the screen on a streak hoping the guy i was playing would switch to playing the CB covering that wr and screw up.

Fade

Reaction score
Gais, Steph Curry, sucks. I have video evidence. He missed a wide open dunk, and then airballed a three.
[youtube]c93PFKDgSS4[/youtube]

And I got plenty more where that came from. He's just not a great shooter, I'm going to post every single one of his misses the rest of the season. To show you how bad he truly is, and what everyone ISN'T seeing! /s LMAO.

Look, Wilson has issues, and isn't playing well, but literally this can be done to any player you want, in any sport.

Wilson's last 17 games, a much bigger sample size than a few cherry picked plays. (one of the worst stretches of his career: 67%, 31 Total TDs, 10 INTs.) The horror. Bear in mind the last 2 games really tank his numbers. You're acting like he is Jared Goff.

Carroll would be lucky as hell to get that kind of production from the next guy. If Pete can't win with this level of production from Wilson. How the hell is he going to win with the next QB producing worse?

On to some more lowlights.

[youtube]L8plOXTbw9I[/youtube]
Aaron Rodgers playing hero ball again, forcing it. Had 2 guys open underneath but is just too short to see.

[youtube]E3cu6TMmaJ8[/youtube]
Tom Brady throws 3 interceptions on 3 straight possessions in the NFCCG. Elite QBs don't do that. (Bucs would go on to win the game, and the Super Bowl.)

[youtube]lsutpvlmMPI[/youtube]
Patty Mahomes: Interception Machine. Last Season.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Fade":afoy0hjx said:
Gais, Steph Curry, sucks. I have video evidence. He missed a wide open dunk, and then airballed a three.

And I got plenty more where that came from. He's just not a great shooter, I'm going to post every single one of his misses the rest of the season. To show you how bad he truly is, and what everyone ISN'T seeing! /s LMAO.

Look, Wilson has issues, and isn't playing well, but literally this can be done to any player you want, in any sport.

Wilson's last 17 games, a much bigger sample size than a few cherry picked plays. (one of the worst stretches of his career: 67%, 31 Total TDs, 10 INTs.) The horror. Bear in mind the last 2 games really tank his numbers. You're acting like he is Jared Goff.

Carroll would be lucky as hell to get that kind of production from the next guy. If Pete can't win with this level of production from Wilson. How the hell is he going to win with the next QB producing worse?

Aaron Rodgers playing hero ball again, forcing it. Had 2 guys open underneath but is just too short to see.

Tom Brady throws 3 interceptions on 3 straight possessions in the NFCCG. Elite QBs don't do that. (Bucs would go on to win the game, and the Super Bowl.)

Sorry but Rodgers, Brady and Mahomes have not looked nearly as bad as Wilson right now and I’m not talking about the physical part of the game. Remember the title of this thread.

keasley45

Reaction score
seabowl":zsyt10ci said:
Fade":zsyt10ci said:

Sorry but Rodgers, Brady and Mahomes have not looked nearly as bad as Wilson right now and I’m not talking about the physical part of the game. Remember the title of this thread.

Nice try making equivalencies with the anomalous bad play of athletes who have never had their greatness questioned because they consistently, year after year plays great.... and then plays poorly and seems incapable of doing simple things.

Russel wilson is Steph Curry if Stephs entire game was the 50 footer, but would never shoot a 12 footer and missed 60% when he did.