Wilson is leaving Seattle after this season

mrblitz

Reaction score
now is not the time to shake things up. these past couple of weeks, the new offensive playbook is just coming together.

whether it all results in a wasted season (no playoffs), things are starting to gel. going forward, the sky is the limit for this offense.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
olyfan63":3e39g637 said:
Prediction for the record:
Pete stays. 95% confident.
Waldron stays. 90% confident.
Russell stays. 60% confident.

We're all really just guessing, based on limited information. Those who will be making the decision don't yet know. The variable is what other teams will offer for Russell. It would have to be an offer so great it knocks the decisionmakers on their butt and they can't say no. Otherwise, I think we see at least one more year of Pete+Waldron+Russell, trying to make this thing work. If they can make it work, I think there is very high upside, like 12-5 and a divisional playoff win and NFCCG appearance, maybe more. For that we need Bobby to stay great for at least another year too.

This team will never make it back to the NFCCG with Pete as coach. Not going to happen.

keasley45

Reaction score
benlurkin":dpfbi1er said:
https://sports.yahoo.com/ian-rapoport-confirms-russell-wilson-175206340.html

Make it happen Giants! Bye Felicia! Time for a rebuild.

If Russ wasn't happy last year, I don't see (from his criticism of the team) what vast improvement we made to put him the sphere he wants to be seen in? - ie Brady, Ridgers, etc.?? Or maybe I'm missing something.

You don't give a trade list if you aren't cool punching out.

This year has been a struggle.

And a successful path forward lies not in throwing more, but running more, and playing solid defense, thus relegating his MVP aspirations to the back seat. The plan last year after the wheels came off the cart mid-season was the same, and he threw a fit over it.

Maybe he sees Shane as a difference maker... ?

AgentDib

Reaction score
GaiusMarius":xuuliwc7 said:
Kansas City's recent success gives them much more latitude to render most any comparison to the Seahawks as laughable. Those seeing this as just an aberration, a down note season, are missing the forest for the trees.
The Chiefs drafted a star rookie QB and lost in the playoffs, then won a Super Bowl, then lost a Super Bowl. Now they are playing out the last cheap year of Mahomes deal ($7m) before it escalates to $35m and then $47m over the next two seasons. So far the comparison to the Hawks is remarkably similar, we just haven't seen how they handle having huge cap hits for their QB yet.

justafan

Reaction score
keasley45":1tn3eysk said:
benlurkin":1tn3eysk said:

If Russ wasn't happy last year, I don't see (from his criticism of the team) what vast improvement we made to put him the sphere he wants to be seen in? - ie Brady, Ridgers, etc.?? Or maybe I'm missing something.

And a successful path forward lies not in throwing more, but running more, and playing solid defense, thus relegating his MVP aspirations to the back seat. The plan last year after the wheels came off the cart mid-season was the same, and he threw a fit over it.

The wheels didnt really come off. Top 8 offense. We won the last 4 games and 6 out of the last 7. We bombed in the playoffs but a pic six and no run D will do that.

Do you have links on his fit he threw. I dont recall hearing him do that.

toffee

Reaction score
justafan":167z3vfw said:
keasley45":167z3vfw said:
benlurkin":167z3vfw said:

The wheels didnt really come off. Top 8 offense. We won the last 4 games and 6 out of the last 7. We bombed in the playoffs but a pic six and no run D will do that.

Do you have links on his fit he threw. I dont recall hearing him do that.

If Wilson wasn't happy in 2020, any reason he should be happier in 2021? He was open to leaving after 2020, his agent put forward 4 acceptable teams. Any reason he won't be open to leaving after 2021?

John63

Reaction score
OKay Fact time

As of right now, no one has a clue who is i=or is not leaving. PERIOD.

AS of right now here is all we know

Wilson said he is not looking to leave
the Team said they are not looking to get rid of him

As it relates to PC and JS there is nothing said by anyone .

So in other words we don't know anything and any of you acting as you do are full of it.

justafan

Reaction score
I dont put much stock in alot of rumors or assume things that he didnt say. He might get traded but until he does,I look at almost all the stuff floating around as half truths or flat out misinformation. In the media and on this site,

toffee

Reaction score
John63":2b737tdd said:
OKay Fact time

So in other words we don't know anything and any of you acting as you do are full of it.

Jody is not happy, we knew that, it was reported.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Yeah I was on the fence early but lately I'm leaning heavily on Russ staying and playing out his contract. He'll get a much bigger offer in 2 years if he wants become an unrestricted free agent. Or sign another deal with the Hawks by the end of his 2 years. Pete and Schneider both signed extensions not too long ago. The speculation that Jody isn't happy was leaked to the Seattle Times was erroneous it turns out. An opinion piece at best.

Yeah I understand the franchise tag but they won't use it if he doesn't want to be here.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Of course most of want Russ to stay. And I believe him when he says he wants to stay. But he's not going to stay when he thinks there's no hope of change. He wants to win. More than anything else. He seems to think there's not much left to gain by staying in this system with this leadership.

Lots of conjecture on who stays and who goes, rightly so. We've been knocking at the door of transition for a year or so.

I think it's safe to say that there's no chance Pete, John, and Russ are here next year. No way. 0% likelihood. That's why Russ let's this trade destination thing leak again. If something's going to happen with leadership, it needs to start happening now. Week 18 is too late with the new rule changes regarding courting coaches/execs.

What's the most likely scenario given that likelihood?

Scchiiiiiiiiiiit I don't know. But I don't think Jody Allen is indifferent. I used to think that. She's paying attention.

I know I don't want Pete to have another chance at a rebuild. I kind of wonder what John Schneider looks like without Pete. But I suspect either one of them staying means Russ is gone. And I'd rather roll with Russ and an innovative offensive approach that has a sort of vision which actually/honestly/faithfully builds around #3.

John63

Reaction score
toffee":2ckr2h1q said:
John63":2ckr2h1q said:
OKay Fact time

Yes but that still does not say Wilson or PC or Js are gone. There are a lot of other things that can happen, such as DC being gone, such as PCs power being diminished. many others none of that says anyone is leaving or who if anyone is leaving. Also again we have not heard it from Jody Allen or anyone connected to her. Only the unnamed source.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":skk2wpxa said:
toffee":skk2wpxa said:
John63":skk2wpxa said:
OKay Fact time

Yes but that still does not say Wilson or PC or Js are gone. There are a lot of other things that can happen, such as DC being gone, such as PCs power being diminished. many others none of that says anyone is leaving or who if anyone is leaving. Also again we have not heard it from Jody Allen or anyone connected to her. Only the unnamed source.

You won't hear a word till seasons end, that's not Paul's or Jody's style, she may have background stuff going on Pete doesn't even know about. Pet's on the 12th floor Jody and her Advisors are on the 20th.

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":1492ub7m said:
John63":1492ub7m said:
toffee":1492ub7m said:
John63":1492ub7m said:
OKay Fact time

You won't hear a word till seasons end, that's not Paul's or Jody's style, she may have background stuff going on Pete doesn't even know about. Pet's on the 12th floor Jody and her Advisors are on the 20th.

I agree which is what I have been saying none on this bao d or any place other than Allen and her closest advisors knows what is or is not going to happen.

Elemas

Reaction score
I think Russ’s best years are to come. I’d love him to retire here. But, going off the if there’s smoke there’s fire mantra, we’d best trade him after this season. I was totally against it before but if we can get 3 firsts, a third, and maybe a couple of bodies, it would seem silly to keep him here. Go give him a chance to compete and let the team rebuild. Russ is winning another SN..here or there (whenever there is).

olyfan63

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1wvaera4 said:
olyfan63":1wvaera4 said:
Prediction for the record:
Pete stays. 95% confident.
Waldron stays. 90% confident.
Russell stays. 60% confident.

We're all really just guessing, based on limited information. Those who will be making the decision don't yet know. The variable is what other teams will offer for Russell. It would have to be an offer so great it knocks the decisionmakers on their butt and they can't say no. Otherwise, I think we see at least one more year of Pete+Waldron+Russell, trying to make this thing work. If they can make it work, I think there is very high upside, like 12-5 and a divisional playoff win and NFCCG appearance, maybe more. For that we need Bobby to stay great for at least another year too.

This team will never make it back to the NFCCG with Pete as coach. Not going to happen.
You're probably correct, but for the wrong reasons. My version:
This team will never make it back to the NFCCG with Russell taking up so much cap space that keeps it the team from having an Avril and Bennett on the D, and a legit Center. Not going to happen.

We do agree we won't be in an NFCCG if we can't win a Wildcard or Divisional round playoff game, and that the elements for doing so are currently lacking, and no near-term "fix" is in sight.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Is he the best QB in the league, absolutely not. He still has plenty of things to improve on. But letting him go would be a huge mistake. That being said, if a team gives them a massive offer, they have to at least consider it and run it by him since he has a no trade clause. One one hand, he talks about legacy of guys like Jeter staying with one team their entire career etc. On the other hand, they have kind of wasted his talent at times, and he might want a new challenge.

Hard to say, again, NOBODY knows. And we heard he was gone the last two off season's.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1z5v2hmk said:
-snip-
One one hand, he talks about legacy of guys like Jeter staying with one team their entire career etc. On the other hand, they have kind of wasted his talent at times, and he might want a new challenge.

Hard to say, again, NOBODY knows. And we heard he was gone the last two off season's.

I used to subscribe to the "wasted Russell's talent" philosophy. These days I see it more as "protected Russell from his deficiencies and maximized the opportunities for Russell's to leverage his strengths". When Russell doesn't have a smashmouth run game to keep defenses honest, that's where the trouble starts. He's just not that good at reading coverages and knowing where to go with the ball quickly to move the chains. He relies on his athleticism to scramble and create space and time to use his superpowers of reading coverage on a single receiver and making an accurate throw against that coverage. Sure, PC/JS could buy Russell an O-Line that gives him 3.0 seconds* on average instead of 2.8, but would it make much of a difference to Russell's game? Would it be worth the spend compared to adding a couple smackdown players on the defensive side? That's the call that Pete has to make.

Russell's game depends so much on his athleticism, which we see gradually waning a tiny bit each year as he gets older. To have high trade value, or high long term future value to the team, He's going to have to show, THIS YEAR, that he is learning to read overall coverage packages and starting to know where to go with the ball quickly. If he doesn't start to flash more skill in that area, he'll be back, because other teams won't make kick-butt offers for him. Guaranteed, Russell's "list of acceptable trade destinations" is teams he believes already have the elements to allow him to be very successful, and largely cover for his areas of struggle.

There is no guarantee, not even solid indicators Russell would be "elite" or even average, as he gets older. How many productive years does Russell have left in his career? 5? 10? 2? How does his game translate as his ability to create with his legs declines? I'd say the odds are pretty good for at least 2 years, not as good for 5, and not good at all for 10 more productive years.

* Made up numbers, trying to define what does "a better offensive line" really mean? And would it matter to Russell's game? This PFF page has some interesting data from earlier in Russell's career. https://www.pff.com/news/signature-stat ... e-to-throw

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
olyfan63":1wwe5k5e said:
* Made up numbers, trying to define what does "a better offensive line" really mean? And would it matter to Russell's game? This PFF page has some interesting data from earlier in Russell's career. https://www.pff.com/news/signature-stat ... e-to-throw

Salk was talking about this, this morning.

Is Russell a bad pocket passer? No, he's an average pocket passer, usually ranks somewhere around #15 each season with all the pocket passing stats.

But he's been top 5, if not #1 or #2 ranked with play action and rolling out.

So as I've been saying for years arguing with the "Pete's wasted Russell's career" forum members, maybe, just maybe Pete knows what he's doing and knows Russell's strengths ARE having a good run game to take advantage of his incredible play action and roll out abilities with how accurate and savvy he is with pushing the ball downfield.

That's really been the issue if we're trying to figure out what exactly the conflict is with Pete and Russ. IMO it has FAR more to do with Russell being in denial about what he's good at, and what he's not (or average at).

He thinks he's amazing at everything, and that's creating the friction with how Pete wants him to run the offense.