Wilson is leaving Seattle after this season

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1c07c04q said:
olyfan63":1c07c04q said:
* Made up numbers, trying to define what does "a better offensive line" really mean? And would it matter to Russell's game? This PFF page has some interesting data from earlier in Russell's career. https://www.pff.com/news/signature-stat ... e-to-throw

Salk was talking about this, this morning.

Is Russell a bad pocket passer? No, he's an average pocket passer, usually ranks somewhere around #15 each season with all the pocket passing stats.

But he's been top 5, if not #1 or #2 ranked with play action and rolling out.

So as I've been saying for years arguing with the "Pete's wasted Russell's career" forum members, maybe, just maybe Pete knows what he's doing and knows Russell's strengths ARE having a good run game to take advantage of his incredible play action and roll out abilities with how accurate and savvy he is with pushing the ball downfield.

That's really been the issue if we're trying to figure out what exactly the conflict is with Pete and Russ. IMO it has FAR more to do with Russell being in denial about what he's good at, and what he's not (or average at).

He thinks he's amazing at everything, and that's creating the friction with how Pete wants him to run the offense.

Except if you look you will find Wilson is top 5 in a clean pocket. In there lies the problem you and others don't understand. Also you do realize that is 2012.

Here you go

for 2013
INSIDE THE POCKET

322 attempts
213 completions
2,568 yards
20 TDs
5 INTs
66.1 completion percentage
8.0 yards per attempt
6.2 TD percentage
1.6 INT percentage
104.7 passer rating
https://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/russell-wilson-2013-passing-stats-insideoutside-pocket/

Here is 2015

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/12/09/nfl-week-14-russell-wilson-pocket-presence-seahawks-offense

I can go on but that should be enough. As to PC hampering Wilson's career, he did mainly because of his refusal or inability to get a decent pass blocking oline.

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":d4k2ilo3 said:
Is he the best QB in the league, absolutely not. He still has plenty of things to improve on. But letting him go would be a huge mistake. That being said, if a team gives them a massive offer, they have to at least consider it and run it by him since he has a no trade clause. One one hand, he talks about legacy of guys like Jeter staying with one team their entire career etc. On the other hand, they have kind of wasted his talent at times, and he might want a new challenge.

Hard to say, again, NOBODY knows. And we heard he was gone the last two off season's.

I agree however I would add there is no player in the NFl that does not have room to improve on. Is he the best QB in the league no one claimed that. We all said he is one of the best and guess what he is.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Did anyone see all those brutal passes by Mahomes last night? He's not exactly Mr. Accuracy this year. And yes, I'm aware that they have won 7 in a row and they pulled it out again last night.

Go Hawks

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":iadqvn70 said:
Did anyone see all those brutal passes by Mahomes last night? He's not exactly Mr. Accuracy this year. And yes, I'm aware that they have won 7 in a row and they pulled it out again last night.

Go Hawks
Rams.

He is not the only one. Alot of so called great qbs have had bad games or stretches. Heck Mahoomes had a stretch were 5 out of 7 games hid passer rating was below 80. It only shows the unrealistic expectations of Wilson as well as how poorly this team is built and run whe u can't win unless your QB is superman. The Chiefs won 4 of th 5 when Mahomes played really bad.

Hawker55

Reaction score
scutterhawk":lnz1aqir said:
seabowl":lnz1aqir said:
scutterhawk":lnz1aqir said:
seabowl":lnz1aqir said:
Sheesh dude you need a hug? Some warm milk and cookies? Maybe a nap? Good grief..

That’s what almost everyone is thinking and saying
Only the P*$$ers & moaners.
Why else would some of y'all BUMMERS come here and try and snuff out everyone's feel good after a WIN?
Only explanation that I can think of, is it's just a cheap way of getting their jollies eh? :pukeface:

What in the world are you talking about? Not just this board but most of the football watching population have been saying this for weeks if not into last offseason. In the last three or four years there has been almost no indication that this team was progressing. Hence why a change of coach and it qb would make sense.

NOT EVERYONE!!, just the ones who love DUMPING $H*t on fellow Seahawks FANS of Russell Wilson or Pete Carroll.
This place is stooping to lows that we USE to get from old cranky Oakland Raiders fans.
But I guess if it makes y'all happy? :177692:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":1m55lud8 said:
SoulfishHawk":1m55lud8 said:
-snip-
One one hand, he talks about legacy of guys like Jeter staying with one team their entire career etc. On the other hand, they have kind of wasted his talent at times, and he might want a new challenge.

Hard to say, again, NOBODY knows. And we heard he was gone the last two off season's.

I used to subscribe to the "wasted Russell's talent" philosophy. These days I see it more as "protected Russell from his deficiencies and maximized the opportunities for Russell's to leverage his strengths". When Russell doesn't have a smashmouth run game to keep defenses honest, that's where the trouble starts. He's just not that good at reading coverages and knowing where to go with the ball quickly to move the chains. He relies on his athleticism to scramble and create space and time to use his superpowers of reading coverage on a single receiver and making an accurate throw against that coverage. Sure, PC/JS could buy Russell an O-Line that gives him 3.0 seconds* on average instead of 2.8, but would it make much of a difference to Russell's game? Would it be worth the spend compared to adding a couple smackdown players on the defensive side? That's the call that Pete has to make.

Russell's game depends so much on his athleticism, which we see gradually waning a tiny bit each year as he gets older. To have high trade value, or high long term future value to the team, He's going to have to show, THIS YEAR, that he is learning to read overall coverage packages and starting to know where to go with the ball quickly. If he doesn't start to flash more skill in that area, he'll be back, because other teams won't make kick-butt offers for him. Guaranteed, Russell's "list of acceptable trade destinations" is teams he believes already have the elements to allow him to be very successful, and largely cover for his areas of struggle.

There is no guarantee, not even solid indicators Russell would be "elite" or even average, as he gets older. How many productive years does Russell have left in his career? 5? 10? 2? How does his game translate as his ability to create with his legs declines? I'd say the odds are pretty good for at least 2 years, not as good for 5, and not good at all for 10 more productive years.

* Made up numbers, trying to define what does "a better offensive line" really mean? And would it matter to Russell's game? This PFF page has some interesting data from earlier in Russell's career. https://www.pff.com/news/signature-stat ... e-to-throw

Well said and I was the same way early on blaming things like OL ect but once you see it
for what it really is that changes a lot in regards to Russ and I'm going to say here and now
he's not going to make it to 5 years from now as a star if at all..His game is outside of pocket
and he doesn't have the wheels anymore to avoid most if they get to him when he sandlots it
up.He needs to do what Kyler does stand back ten yards in shotgun and go back 5-10 more
after getting the hike and there's your short mans pocket where he can see the whole field.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
RW lives in San Diego County, so he leaves Seattle after every season. Then he comes back for the next one, because he's still under contract. Which he still is after this season.