World Cup 2014

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Smurf":dxbbuolb said:
Ballack said it best, England aren't ready for these type of games. Not yet. Still too big for them.

It's not a case of not being ready. Most of the squad have played and won at the highest level. Champions League, Premier League. There are some younger players in the team but this isn't a case of not being ready for big games.

No... the problem is the same one we've had for 30 years. We've been left behind. We're seeing the same old issues that hampered England in the last world cup. We can't keep the ball. We don't know how to deal with a team who can.

Our tactics are laughable. We used a back four against Italy with two deep holding midfielders. Gerrard and Henderson, presumably, were there to protect and break up play. In reality all they did was sit right in front of the back four, leaving huge space between the third level of three players for Pirlo to exploit. Both Gerrard and Henderson were passengers when Italy had the ball.

Like most teams these days we relied on the full backs for width. Which is fine. But only if you're willing to go to something akin to a 3-5-2 (like Holland, France and Argentina have been exploiting). Baines and Johnson had no cover and Italy just doubled up on both sides. We didn't need two holding midfielder, we should've dropped one and played an extra defender. Then at least you can shift the back three to put an extra man on each side as cover.

At the last world cup we were playing 4-4-2 while the top teams were using 4-2-3-1. Now we're using 4-2-3-1 and have been left behind again.

Hodgson's so determined to shoe horn Rooney into the team and therefore puts him on the left of that three behind Sturridge. The cross for the goal aside, he was lost. If you're playing Rooney, he needs to be the #9 or the #10 down the middle. If you have other players you think are better than him for those roles (Sturridge, Barkley or Sterling) then I'm sorry -- but Rooney doesn't play. This is a classic England problem. Square pegs for round holes. Happens at every single tournament. Rooney has become the new Paul Scholes for England. We'll play him anywhere but the position he's best at, and then complain when he doesn't perform.

Ross Barkley is the most exciting thing to happen to English football since Michael Owen in 1998, and he's sat on the bench.

We need a young, visionary coach with some imagination and his finger on the pulse of tactical trends. And we need someone with the balls to make a tough decision.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Portugal in shambles. Can't day I'm surprised. Kind of expected this. One of the reasons I was so confident about the US getting out of the group.

We can beat Portugal...especially a Portugal without Pepe and Coentrao.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":xp7pkt7k said:
Ross Barkley is the most exciting thing to happen to English football since Michael Owen in 1998, and he's sat on the bench.

We need a young, visionary coach with some imagination and his finger on the pulse of tactical trends. And we need someone with the balls to make a tough decision.

Sterling? Have to admit he's a more intriguing player than Barkely at this juncture. But not by much. Think you've nailed it though, and I had said something similar pre-tournament. this team's success lies with its youth.

You've got a handful of the Prem's most exciting attacking talents at your disposal, and choose a formation that sits 6 back with not width. Sterling was dangerous, but it was apparent early on Pirlo was not going to pay any attention to him. So the idea of young Raheem forcing Pirlo deeper and deeper to account for him was shot early on. Pirlo then, as you said, picked up the ball and hit the width (especially Baines' side) on the counter. Henderson ran the right flank when it ventured there, but Gerrard had no intentions of fetching out to the left.

I'd think that diamonf 442 that Liverpool and City have run of late would fit the currentt English side well. Sturridge and Rooney up top, Sterling or Barkley in the 10, the other out wide on one side, Henderson/Lallana on the other and Gerrard sitting deep in his Pirlo role.

Instead, as you said, it was shoe horning a player in to get him on, instead of adjusting tactics

Rodgers and Martinez fit that bill. Would they take a chance to manage their club team and then the national team?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":2nexr7q7 said:
Portugal in shambles. Can't day I'm surprised. Kind of expected this. One of the reasons I was so confident about the US getting out of the group.

We can beat Portugal...especially a Portugal without Pepe and Coentrao.

Ghana first...

this just in.. we're not Germany, nor do we have, well:

Mueller, Goetze, Ozil, Khedira, Lahm, Howedes, Hummels, etal... Germany's going to make alot of teams look the way of Portugal.

I still worry about a Nani, Moutinho, Ronaldo running at our back line. if they show they can handle Ghana (who is probably deeper talent wise in attacking) than all bets are off.

Nog

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1u8sm9sf said:
Nog":1u8sm9sf said:
hawkfan68":1u8sm9sf said:
The French are looking really solid. They put a beatdown on Honduras and it probably would have been the same score had Honduras' player not been given a red card. Honduras was/is no match for France.
Actually, since 2006, France didn't have that kinda cohesion into the squad. Overall, they all seem to enjoy to play together and play for this team which wasn't the case 2 years ago. Plus, some youngsters are taking over this team like Pogba, Griezmann and of course Benzema. If they pass the group stage, they def can be a challenger for any teams which would be opposed to them.

France is good, with a good, young nucleus. Pogba's going to be world class (in the Yaya toure mold) and Griezmann is going to be highly sought after by big clubs once this tournament is over. I dont see them as finalist contenders (yet). Honduras were bullies in qualifying. Theyre not a particularly strong side. But France will emerge at the top of the group, giving them a draw with the 2nd place finisher. Can see them in the Final 8, and they've got the sqaud to push past that. Are they experienced enough to see a semifinal game out though?
No they are not experienced enough yet, that's true. However, I just don't see them getting out of this competition with ease. In fact, that's the first time I see them having this sorta cohesion in the squad. Maybe they would have been real contenders for semi-finals and more if Ribéry had played.

Nog

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1b396scj said:
So, what's the key to getting out of the group? Have to beat Ghana today, right? Then draw Portugal and don't lose to Germany by much to beat out Portugal on goal differential. That's pretty much the path I see.
That could be one way! Or you guys can dream about winning every single games... More realistically, I don't think you will pass the group stage unfortunately. Ghana is a strong challenge; they have great players in their squad (Ayew brothers, Boateng, Essien...)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Nog":2k1prwoo said:
Smelly McUgly":2k1prwoo said:
So, what's the key to getting out of the group? Have to beat Ghana today, right? Then draw Portugal and don't lose to Germany by much to beat out Portugal on goal differential. That's pretty much the path I see.
That could be one way! Or you guys can dream about winning every single games... More realistically, I don't think you will pass the group stage unfortunately. Ghana is a strong challenge; they have great players in their squad (Ayew brothers, Boateng, Essien...)

could flip it now, draw Ghana, beat Portugal, go into Germany with 4 points, hop Ghana get nothing from Germany.

Ghana has more talent than Portugal. They dont have Ronaldo, which is why many overlooked them. Going to push all three of their opponents.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2qpz2m7x said:
Yeah, I'm not counting on the U.S. getting out of this group either. They are clearly the least-talented team in the group.

clearly... and its too bad.

its funny listening to the American sports fan that doesnt follow soccer regarding this World Cup .. "if we had our best athletes playing soccer we would every time". reasonable theory (and not a bash of the non soccer fan trying to get into the World Cup), but unfortunately its just not that easy. not this time.

This group was the perfect counter to us. We typically are as athletic if not more so than our competition. But the three other teams in our bracket (including the likes of Ronaldo, who simply emerged from inside a Roman statue of Zeus) are as big, faster, and overall far more technically gifted than us.

Our team philosophy for decades has been reliant on out working the opponent. Has worked wonders in our qualifying. We've been able to bully teams who attack, and hit them hard on counters. But these three teams happen to field some amazing footballers, and amazing athletes. For us to escape the group stage its going to require a massive amount of game management, and then taking opportunities. Where we can get work done is that Ghana does not pour forward, despite their talent, and will generaly play rather conservative. This will put less decision making pressure on our back 4. Portugal loves to sit and counter through Ronaldo and Nani. They cant do that with us, as we just dont attack in numbers(in the way that Germany does for example).

Still think we can get through if we get something from today. Going to be a hell of a game

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3opuv8dj said:
USA! USA! USA!

What?

IRAN!!

NIGERIA!!!

ITS THE WORLD CUP!!!!

no, but seriously, the game is going to be fantastic.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I know only a bit about formations from playing FIFA, but doesn't our offense usually depend on long balls to Jozy Altidore? I don't get the sense that we are great at scoring off of set pieces or that we create much offense beyond trying to make long connections.

I could be wrong, though because I don't follow soccer as closely as most people posting here, and Klinsmann might have changed how we go about trying to create offense.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2sauppq1 said:
I know only a bit about formations from playing FIFA, but doesn't our offense usually depend on long balls to Jozy Altidore? I don't get the sense that we are great at scoring off of set pieces or that we create much offense beyond trying to make long connections.

I could be wrong, though because I don't follow soccer as closely as most people posting here, and Klinsmann might have changed how we go about trying to create offense.

not too off, except on one major point... we excel on scoring on set pieces. Its actually a major point of our attack.

we typically run a 4231, but may see a 4 back, diamond mid with 2 up top tonight. We dont necessarily set up and off to play long balls to Jozy. We try and feed him the ball as deep as we can, then ask him to hold up play for the rest to join. Where we struggle with good teams is when they've pushed us deep into our own third. that ball to Altidore then becomes 40 yards long instead of 20, and we cant join him. We havent developed the ability to play counters and quick, pacey combinations in the way the Germans can (or what Italy did to England, for example), but thats Klinsmann goal for this team in 2018.

However, in 2014, given our group (which will dictate our own system and philosophy, for good or bad), we will be trying to transition through Jozy as much as we can, and that will probably look like some long balls. Not a kick/chase, but more to his feet and chest, or flicks on to an outside runner (Dempsey).

If we can create enough space with a pass or two to ge the ball to Bradley in the middle, then we can buld properly and bring players up together. I just think it will be a tough task against these three opponents. the diamond 4 will help compact space, and give us alternative outlets, but we will have to be patient and willing to pick and choose our time to create chances. If Ghana score first, I cant see us getting all three points.

Latest posts