Your Impressions of the Offense

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
-Not one instance of burning a time out early cause the offense was not going ge the play off. I don't recall any point in the game where I was yelling at the tv (yeah I know Russ can't hear me) to hurry up. That happened multiple times eery game in previous yers.

-Absolutely great sign that with no catches for DK in the first half, the O still put up 21 and Russ had 3 TDs. If teams can't stop our O just by taking away big plays to Metcalf, they will get discourage from doing that so much.

-Like how easily short yardage was converted. Carson popped one and like Russ sneaking it the other time. Good push by the interior to make that happen.

-Speaking of the interior, without the nice pocket they created, Russ is not able to step up into the pocket for the long TD. Overall were there any holding penalties or false starts?

-And loved the variety of the jet sweep, TE screen and slants. Disley looked better today than he had all last year. How long have we wanted to see play action and Russ bootleg? Finally it happened.

I imagine as teams see this on film they will adjust but I have faith Waldron will adjust with them. I am sure there is a lot more coming still that we haven't seen yet.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I really did not know what to expect with Waldron. I wasnt sure if the offense would take a few games to gel, but they looked good. Loved the tempo. Liked Russ rolling out and the screens. I admit that I didnt think the Everett pick up was going to amount to anything, but he seems faster than I remember. Seriously, he never impressed me with the Rams and I would have chosen Higbee over him (which they did too), but he looked pretty good today. Fuller is better than Pocic and I didnt understand the shuffling at that position, but they were obviously looking for something.

All in all i'm happy. Hopefully it only gets better and Pete minds his own business.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
John63":3o9pud3f said:
I think the biggest thing was this

Wilson came over after being sacked, PC said something about the run, OC asked Wilson what he wants to do, Wilson said pass, they will not get me twice. PC started to say something and then walked away. We passed and scored that drive. Seeign PC step away and let the OC do his job was great.

Where did u see this?

strohmin

Reaction score
The most impressive part was doing this on an away game at 10:00am start even if the team may be considered average. Starting the season like this actually gives me hope that they have changed their ways for the better.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
I like it. Way more zone running with misdirection and Despite taking 3 sacks Russ isn't hanging on to the ball forever in this attack. More wr screens and more wr sweeps but not to the extent that it's over kill. Russ has more outlets and the Oline looked great today. Wilson missed DK on the WR screen he would’ve taken to the house but he played brilliantly . Defense was great as well although we gave up a few third and long they applied pressure and had Wentz on his candy ass seemingly all game.

Atradees

Reaction score
This was not slopping run for your life sandlot football.

I liked it. TE were used and we got deep shots. Seems the QB was willing to let go of the ball. Nice.

John63

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":11msjyol said:
I like it. Way more zone running with misdirection and Despite taking 3 sacks Russ isn't hanging on to the ball forever in this attack. More wr screens and more wr sweeps but not to the extent that it's over kill. Russ has more outlets and the Oline looked great today. Wilson missed DK on the WR screen he would’ve taken to the house but he played brilliantly . Defense was great as well although we gave up a few third and long they applied pressure and had Wentz on his candy ass seemingly all game.

also, remember 1 or 2 of those sacks were at the very end where he just did not want to stop the clock so he took a seat

toffee

Reaction score
ivotuk":ew8xn77h said:
John63":ew8xn77h said:

Wilson came over after being sacked, PC said something about the run, OC asked Wilson what he wants to do, Wilson said pass, they will not get me twice. PC started to say something and then walked away. We passed and scored that drive. Seeign PC step away and let the OC do his job was great.

This is a big deal. The reason we started out so well last year was because Schotty moved to the booth, and got away from Pete. Problem with Schotty is that he's a very average OC.

I believe what Russell asked for last spring, and what he may have gotten, was less interference from Pete.

THAT is why we always broke the Huddle before with no time on the clock, Pete talking to the OC instead of letting him do his job.

Pete is showing that he is competing...by changing.

Listen & Learn Pete, Listen & Learn...
Thanks for sharing guys, glad that we have an inside track to discussions on the sideline. Keep up the good work and do share so we all would know what's happening when HC, OC and WB said to each other.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Hawkpower

Reaction score
strohmin":2z86dt7f said:
The most impressive part was doing this on an away game at 10:00am start even if the team may be considered average. Starting the season like this actually gives me hope that they have changed their ways for the better.

Indy was a playoff team last year that sported one of the NFL's best defenses

Not sure they fit the definition of average

Chapow

Reaction score
Hawkpower":11xyiguz said:
strohmin":11xyiguz said:

Yep.

Indy was 11-5 with a top 10 defense and a top 10 offense last year, and they have a very good offensive line.

It's OK to give the Seahawks the credit they deserve for playing very well against a good team.

toffee

Reaction score
Chapow":3gwdxb3y said:
Hawkpower":3gwdxb3y said:
strohmin":3gwdxb3y said:

Yep.

Indy was 11-5 with a top 10 defense and a top 10 offense last year, and they have a very good offensive line.

It's OK to give the Seahawks the credit they deserve for playing very well against a good team.
Top 10 is the definition of above average, if not quite elite.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of people say that the question mark on Indy is what they can get out of Wetnz, and other than that this is one of the top rosters in the AFC. It was't like the Hawks were only exploiting Fisher being out at LT. They were getting pressure from everywhere. Usually in a Colts game they will show highlights of Nelson opening up a huge running hole. I didn't notice him dominating. I thought it was pretty good that the Hawks got good pressure and it wasn't all Adams blitzing

If we want to compare, this was a much more impressive season opening win for me that last year in Atlanta. The is a better D that the Hawks were facing. And this year, they finished the game much better.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
John63":3pjr2jkj said:
ArlosSpecial":3pjr2jkj said:

also, remember 1 or 2 of those sacks were at the very end where he just did not want to stop the clock so he took a seat
Good point. Yeah the only time I recall him getting sacked was the Buckner sack. They listed 3 in the Box score I was like wtf??? hmmmmm Idon't think so

Smellyman

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":21wio6mk said:
Spin Doctor":21wio6mk said:
John63":21wio6mk said:
Scorpion05":21wio6mk said:
We know it's early, but what does everyone think about the offense so far? First impressions?

I for one am very excited. I have always felt that the reason the offense stalled in 2018, 2019, and 2020, is because of Schotty's scheme. Today, the offense looked so much...easier? It looked in sync especially for a Week 1 game.

The offense often got out of its breaks early, with 20+ seconds left on the clock. The Colts tried playing 2 high safeties and it didn't matter. The Colts defense was able to shut down Metcalf early, but we adjusted in the 2nd half especially in the 4th quarter.

With Bevell, Russ used to be Mr. November and December. We expected the offense to pick up after week 5. I think we'll see a much more consistent offense throughout the year. Doesn't mean we will never have a bad game, but I love what I saw. Offense seemed less predictable.

I agree about Schotty for example he did not call a great game today either.
Schottenheimer is not the Jags OC, the OC there is the other Seahawks OC, Bevell!
Poor Jags.

But Schotty is the like the QB coach. Imagine hiring those two? LOL

Call them Schevell, because they will dig Urban's and Trevor's grave.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Chapow":1rgenhud said:
Hawkpower":1rgenhud said:
strohmin":1rgenhud said:

Yep.

That was with Phillip Rivers. Carson Wentz stinks. Its not the same team at all. Especially with their injuries.

Chapow

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":l2tam29r said:
Chapow":l2tam29r said:
Hawkpower":l2tam29r said:
strohmin":l2tam29r said:

Yep.

That was with Phillip Rivers. Carson Wentz stinks. Its not the same team at all. Especially with their injuries.

Lol. I would expect nothing less from you. Don't you think it's a little early in the season for your "the only reason they appeared to play well is because the other team stinks" shtick?

Their defense is largely the same and should once again be very good.

Their OLine is largely the same and should once again be very good. Granted, their starting LT was out today, but as has already been posted, our D was abusing their whole line today. Not just the back up LT.

Philip Rivers wasn't exactly great last season. He had 24 TD's to 11 Int's on the season. He wasn't awful by any means, but he wasn't really all that good either. It's entirely possible that Wentz is an upgrade to 2020 Philip Rivers.

Look, what we do know is that Indy was a good team last year, top 10 in both offense and defense. Yes, it's possible that they aren't as good this season, or even that they aren't good at all this season. It's also entirely possible that they are just as good this season. It's even possible that they are better this season. We just don't know yet, but it sure seems a lot more likely that they are still a good team than it does that they all of a sudden became a bad team since it is largely the same team as it was last year.

sc85sis

Reaction score
In some ways it was more reminiscent of what USC used to run, except using TEs and no FB. Screens, play action, using the RB in the passing game, combo of power and timing. Zone blocking on the o-line.

Not the same scheme exactly, but the feel was similar. Me likey.

iigakusei

Reaction score
John63":2hgydgac said:

Which broadcast were you watching where this was revealed please. It sounds completely made up.

Smellyman

Reaction score
iigakusei":1mrhj2gd said:
John63":1mrhj2gd said:

Which broadcast were you watching where this was revealed please. It sounds completely made up.

Confirmed. John63 is Wilson's burner account

Latest posts