Do Not Sell My Personal Information

O-Line

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: O-Line
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:18 pm
  • That would save at least 8 million on the cap as well. It's time to draft our Center for the future. Hunt is just an undersized backup. We need young guards as well.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:11 pm
  • Not a single person on the o-line has been able to stay healthy, draft youth every year. We have Simmons and Jones and both got injured.

Also Fant has proven his versatility and to me is a MUST sign.

But take advantage of this deep OL pool especially with the picks we have. It's NOW time
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:36 pm
  • draft Isaiah Wilson for Backup RT. Start Fant @ Rt Unless Brown goes down.

Draft Lloyd Cushenberry C LSU

Draft Logan Sternberg G Kentucky

Restructure britt.
    titan3131
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:39 am
  • titan3131 wrote:draft Isaiah Wilson for Backup RT. Start Fant @ Rt Unless Brown goes down.

Restructure britt.

Very good strategy, and those 2 picks would solidify the line for a long time.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:42 pm
  • titan3131 wrote:draft Isaiah Wilson for Backup RT. Start Fant @ Rt Unless Brown goes down.

Restructure britt.

Why would Britt restructure if we drafted his replacement? Why draft Wilson early if he’s not going to start. What if they can’t beat out Fluker and Haynes? What’s it going to take to resign all these guys 4 years later to keep the OL intact? What about the other 7 positional holes we need to fill? TE, RB, IDL, DE, OLB, CB, LT, WR? Just quick math C + F + R = 34M. FA still leaves many holes Unfilled.

OL is a need but we might need a little asset allocation of our draft capital. Besides, if you don’t expect, “ who the hell is that” when the draft pick is announced, your going to be disappointed.
    12th Dimension
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:49 pm
  • You go with what the draft offers and team needs. that's it. The team has needs on the o-line that can be addressed in th e draft that will have a long lasting affect.

The DL is completely a F.A. issue....But OL can be had in this draft that will last a LONG time.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:58 pm
  • 12th Dimension wrote:
    titan3131 wrote:draft Isaiah Wilson for Backup RT. Start Fant @ Rt Unless Brown goes down.

Restructure britt.

Why would Britt restructure if we drafted his replacement? Why draft Wilson early if he’s not going to start. What if they can’t beat out Fluker and Haynes? What’s it going to take to resign all these guys 4 years later to keep the OL intact? What about the other 7 positional holes we need to fill? TE, RB, IDL, DE, OLB, CB, LT, WR? Just quick math C + F + R = 34M. FA still leaves many holes Unfilled.

OL is a need but we might need a little asset allocation of our draft capital. Besides, if you don’t expect, “ who the hell is that” when the draft pick is announced, your going to be disappointed.

Pete and John always draft players with thoughts to the future. I believe they play more rookies than anyone else too. They bring them along, get them used to the NFL Game, then we don't fall off when someone gets injured.

It's very rare that a rookie starts a lot of games, especially early on. They need to get practice reps and let Pete see them in action.

I would be happy with that draft, if, we re-sign JaDeveon, and get a good to great FA DE. IMHO, Pass Rush is the most important need here.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:25 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Anyone that has watched the Hawks for many years has to ask themselves, why does our O-Line suck?...After almost 50 years of fandom and this has been a question. Even in 2005 when we had Walter Jones and Hutch on the left side and Tobeck at C.

This is always a problem.

With RW as QB, its not so much on the OL for pass plays because he is so mobile. BUT having said that, when you have a guy like Ifedi who has 5 years in that position and knowing Russ' tendencies why does he consintently stink?

Well, maybe he doesn't because of that. RW may NEVER have a top tier OL because of his skill set and our offense.

Either way, we need road graters with nasty attitudes. It's who we are.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.
    Honestly, can anyone here imagine what it would have been like for the Seahawks in 2005 if Holmgren had had Russell Wilson at the helm back then?, or if Mike Holmgren would have had Pete Carroll's LOB?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:32 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:You go with what the draft offers and team needs. that's it. The team has needs on the o-line that can be addressed in th e draft that will have a long lasting affect.

The DL is completely a F.A. issue....But OL can be had in this draft that will last a LONG time.

^This.

I agree completely. :2thumbs:
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:34 am
  • I'm just wondering if money is that big of a deal for Clowney. Britt will have to take a LOT LESS to remain, and I still think if the decide to keep him, we draft a center. It would be really smart to do so now.

Guard is so up in the air, just draft one of the good ones coming out and we have Fluker for one more year. Pocic is what?...injured?, reliable< a G? a C?, what the hell do we have with this guy???

Iupati, see ya. Fant is a must sign IMO. Ifedi, see ya.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:02 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:I'm just wondering if money is that big of a deal for Clowney. Britt will have to take a LOT LESS to remain, and I still think if the decide to keep him, we draft a center. It would be really smart to do so now.

Guard is so up in the air, just draft one of the good ones coming out and we have Fluker for one more year. Pocic is what?...injured?, reliable< a G? a C?, what the hell do we have with this guy???

I agree with all of this except even though I would like to keep Fant, I doubt we can afford him with Brown still here at $11M. If Brokung is still making $13M+ (which he is), Fant will get someone to pay $10M minimum for a left tackle. An average L tackle is making $12M now. He has played well enough filling in there to demand that kindof $$ IMO. He will be 28 by seasons start and I doubt he takes a discount to play RT and he has no experience there either.

Also, we have the fewest signed players of any team right now so the cap space is a bit of a mirage at the moment until we start to fill key positions that are now open.

Sad to say, but I think it's bye George. :(
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:45 pm
  • If that's the case with Fant then it would appear OL gets sniffs in the draft.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:11 pm
  • Pretty certain they are. That is a major obvious reason they hired Hutch to scout for them IMO.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:39 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Not a single person on the o-line has been able to stay healthy,

Ifedi
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:54 pm
  • toffee wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Not a single person on the o-line has been able to stay healthy,

Ifedi

Health has been a concern. Hyperbole is not really helpful. :2thumbs:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:36 pm

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:42 pm
  • Jville wrote:Top 5 linemen ranked by team snaps .........

# 1 Ifedi ........... 1197 ....... more snaps than any other player ...... the iron man in 2019.
    # 6 Iupati ......... 1092
    #11 Fluker ......... 922
    #13 Brown ......... 818
    #19 Hunt ............ 654

Just because he was on the field doesn't mean he was playing RT, sometimes it was Matador, other times a revolving door, and still more a open window, he is a great actor.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:50 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Jville wrote:Top 5 linemen ranked by team snaps .........

# 1 Ifedi ........... 1197 ....... more snaps than any other player ...... the iron man in 2019.
    #11 Fluker ......... 922
    #13 Brown ......... 818

Just because he was on the field doesn't mean he was playing RT, sometimes it was Matador, other times a revolving door, and still more a open window, he is a great actor.

That's an opinion not shared by Mike Solari. Solari kept his iron man on the field all season long from start to finish.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:46 pm
  • Jville wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

#11 Fluker ......... 922
    #13 Brown ......... 818

That's an opinion not shared by Mike Solari. Solari kept his iron man on the field all season long from start to finish.

Iron man can rust, I wonder what Wilson feels like when that DE or LB comes thru untouched from the right side and he has to turtle.

Glad your up close and personal with Mike to share that thought however.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:22 am
  • I for one, would be happy with Ifedi gone, but not Fant. He could man that spot. They should give it to him but there is FA then the draft.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:08 am
  • +1, enough with Ifedi. Hopefully he gets a massive contract somewhere else, will bring back a nice comp pick.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:32 am
  • The reason I like Fant is that he's a lot more athletic and is versatile. He can play either tackle, even mpve in to guard or out to TE. Makes for a GREAT tackle eligible option. It's really hard to find guys who can do all that.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:00 am
  • Appyhawk wrote:The reason I like Fant is that he's a lot more athletic and is versatile. He can play either tackle, even mpve in to guard or out to TE. Makes for a GREAT tackle eligible option. It's really hard to find guys who can do all that.

Fant's a UFA, so do you really want to spend precious cap bringing back a guy who was oft injured and never solidified himself as a starter?

Don't get me wrong, as a 6th blocking TE/OL? He's been great, but I'd be nervous as hell committing any real cap space to signing him to a long term deal.

IMO Fant was a luxury that you could easily replace with a younger version with a 5th or 6th round pick to play that 6th blocking OL/TE scheme position. No need to commit cap dollars.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:57 am
  • George Fant .............. 549 snaps in 2019 (ranked 22nd on team) of which 476 snaps were with the offensive unit. A conversion project that needed time to develop a role.

I'm inclined to avoid underestimating the value of versatile players who can line up in multiple positions. Along those lines, I'm encouraged by the smart play of Jamarco Jones at multiple positions. He may not be as athletic as Fant. But, Jones was a ready made selection whose development proved to be on track in 2019.

I see more up side for both Fant and Jones.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:01 am
  • Jones has "potential". Fant is finally getting it, and he's huge and athletic/versatile....Pretty hard to replace those traits in the draft be it early and especially later, not going to happen.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:35 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Jones has "potential". Fant is finally getting it, and he's huge and athletic/versatile....Pretty hard to replace those traits in the draft be it early and especially later, not going to happen.

Maybe on cheap year to year deals, but when we might have three starting spots on the line to draft and spend free agent money on (RT, center and LG), giving a backup a long term contract who's primary role is a 6th blocking lineman doesn't seem wise.

Now if we can draft the next RT, restructure Britt's contract and only have to find a LG? Sure, I'm all in for bringing Fant back.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of interest Fant will get in free agency.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:47 pm
  • With the insane needs on the DL, we need to try and minimize what we need on OL. Britt?...Fluker is signed. Brown is signed. Pocic, Jones, Iupati?....what do we have here?...Ifedi, GTFO.

This unit is a s bad as DL......were in doo-doo territory here.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:20 pm
  • Addressing team building at the center position .......................

The Seahawks offensive line currently ranks 20th in cap cost. There is no pressing cap need to weaken the competition at center. A restructure of Justin Britt's contract thru contract extension is inviting. His resume prior to injury should be helpful as it speaks for itself. He's well on his way for a successful rehab as the team's leader of the offensive line.

Ethan Pocic is also under contract and in rehab. Some may think his snaps and appearances may be headed in the wrong direction. But, he still retains value as a versatile backup and potential competitor for a starting role. Ethan is still only 24 going on 25 years old.

Joey Hunt is an unrestricted free agent. Although there has been talk about up tempo and speculation about hurry up, I think there are other opportunities out there with offenses featuring guys under center who are already there and less prone to extend plays. Player agents tend to speculate on how their clients fit in with different rosters. Joey's choice might surprise some in that regard. If Joey moves on, I'll miss his fighting spirit.

Developmental prospect Kyle Fuller presents a real contrast with Joey in that while Joey has the shortest length ..... where as big Kyle Fuller has the longest arms. Pad level and quickness will be of interest come July and August.

It is certainly reasonable to anticipate that they are looking for a 5th center position candidate.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:31 pm
  • I disagree on Center. There are so many good NFL calibre Centers in the draft this year that it would be the most foolish ignorance to ignore the most OL importance and not draft one. I could give a rip about Britt or Hunt. We need to think of the now and more importantly THE FUTURE. Get a top notch center in this draft...it's there for the taking...take it.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:41 pm
  • The day may come when we all can actually have a discussion about the various positions of the offensive line and a discussion about it's collective whole.

But, clearly that day is not today :229031_shrug:
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:14 pm
  • Would LOVE to see Jack Conklin on the Right side of this line. And he's only 25 years old.
    Though there's a lot of talk that he may end up with the Jets.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:40 pm
  • He's franchised.

The draft is deep at OL, time to tap into it.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:58 pm
  • How good is Fant at LT? Is he merely adequate or above average? If 3 years in, he is still sorta unsure ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:10 pm
  • toffee wrote:How good is Fant at LT? Is he merely adequate or above average? If 3 years in, he is still sorta unsure ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fant played quite well on the left side subbing for Brown until Brown could come back. His first line stint came on the right side. I could be mistaken but I thought he even briefy played guard a couple years ago. Not certain on that though. He was signed on athleticism having only played one season of football in college. Prior to that he played on the basketball team. W Kentucky I think it was. As to his salary range, I'm not sure what that is Might be a league mandated thing based on his draft round and length of tenure. I just don't know. Jamma has all that stuff figured out, maybe here...
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162869
    But I doubt Fant's cost would be as much or more than a replacement would cost unless you can land a fresh draftee with enough skill to make up for Fant's experience and versatility. IMO that's a tall order right there... I will say this, if it's a choice between being able to sign Clowney, or one or two others I'd take Clowney and replace the rest. But if Clowney is going to cost is 3 or 4 of our other guys I'd bite my lip on Clowney and keep the keys to our fam together.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:31 am
  • For those who do not frequent the draft forum, I'm posting a link here for your pleasure. OP by cheesey provides a film clip of an O Lineman in the draft that is a cinch to make your day.
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=163286&p=2392488#p2392488
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:50 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Would LOVE to see Jack Conklin on the Right side of this line. And he's only 25 years old.
    Though there's a lot of talk that he may end up with the Jets.

Conklin is exactly the type of 1st wave high priced O-line free agent that John and Pete have steered away from.

Not that I'm defending them, if we were to pick one position group that they've struggled the hardest with in finding both free agent and draft talent, it's the O-line.

But never the less, as well as Conklin would slide in nicely at RT, I doubt Pete and John want to spend what it'd cost to get him.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:09 am
  • No doubt, too much coin for him. But damn that would be nice.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:39 pm
  • Wouldn't be surprised to see Brown as the only returning starter from last year . One or two others like Fluker will be around but as depth . Fant & Ifedi will go elswhere . Britt will cost to much . I think the Hawks will go with a youth movement this season . It's time IMO.
    xray
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:55 pm
  • If our solution at tackle turns out needing to be addressed in FA, here's a possibility:
    Daryl Williams could be a nice underrated value.

Top-tier tackles like Anthony Castonzo will dominate the headlines, and specifically at right tackle, Williams falls behind names like Jack Conklin and Bryan Bulaga.

Yet there is a degree of deception here with Williams. He graded at 56.1 over at Pro Football Focus last year, but it seemed to stem from the Carolina Panthers using him out of position all over the line. Such a detail hides the fact the veteran fully bounced back from his 2018 injury by appearing in all 16 games, logging 75 percent of the offense's snaps.

Considering Williams' last notable attendance sheet in 2017 had him at a 77.2 at PFF, he could end up being a notable upgrade for a team's right edge at a very effective cost.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/287 ... ncy#slide5
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:52 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:Re-sign Fant, start him at Right Tackle, and promise him Left Tackle once Duane is done. I feel pretty strongly that D Brown will retire after 2020. He's had some injuries, albeit minor ones, lately. He's getting up there, but, he's still playing at a high level. So I think 2020 will be a great year for him, but I'm predicting that some team success, and minor injuries will cause him to consider his future next year.

Keep Joey Hunt, an economical, functional backup for Guard and Center.

Extend Justin Britt, bring his 2020 and future hits down some with a signing bonus. I don't want to go through another new Center when the rest of the line could be in flux.

Keep Ethan Pocic who is currently on IR

Keep Fluker. He played well, and was available most of the time.

Jamarco Jones, Left Guard. He can also fill in at Left Tackle in an emergency

Phil Haynes at Guard

Creature Man, Jordan Roos at guard

Draft/Sign a Left Tackle Prospect and Guard.

Don't forget Tight Ends in this equation.

Re-up Luke Willson! That guy is INVALUABLE as a blocker, pass catcher, and all around team mate!

Jacob Hollister, what a STEAL this guy was!

Will Dissly, no brainer. LOVE this man.

Swoopes on the Practice Squad

Draft/Sign a "young" Tight End, or an Offensive Lineman/Tight End Hybrid like George Fant or Gary Gilliam...OR Jason Peters.

Cut/Drop: Iupati, and Ed Dickson. Dickson is a great guy, great talent, but he's 32 years old and has a horrible injury history the past 3 years!

Considerations:

Jordan Simmons on IR. Has injury history, but deserves a look this year.

Where does Olsen fit in to yourt plan?
    LTH
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:41 pm
  • We might be looking at starting lineup of:

Brown - Jamarco - Britt - Fluker - Fant

Assuming Britt agrees to restructure his contract and Fant willing to stay on as RT, with that our OL has continuity but no improvements except Fant might save a penalty or two and we lack depth at both tackle spots.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:46 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I'm just wondering if money is that big of a deal for Clowney. Britt will have to take a LOT LESS to remain, and I still think if the decide to keep him, we draft a center. It would be really smart to do so now.

I agree with all of this except even though I would like to keep Fant, I doubt we can afford him with Brown still here at $11M. If Brokung is still making $13M+ (which he is), Fant will get someone to pay $10M minimum for a left tackle. An average L tackle is making $12M now. He has played well enough filling in there to demand that kindof $$ IMO. He will be 28 by seasons start and I doubt he takes a discount to play RT and he has no experience there either.

Also, we have the fewest signed players of any team right now so the cap space is a bit of a mirage at the moment until we start to fill key positions that are now open.

Sad to say, but I think it's bye George. :(

Pretty close call I'd say.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:08 am
  • I hate to lose Fant, but reality usually wins.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:33 pm
  • Fant banished himself to where careers die, maybe not so smart.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:20 pm
  • Hope Wilson has life insurance he will need it.....again
    John63
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:54 am
  • Nobody is forcing your to watch, John. Just sayin...…..
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:56 am
  • chris98251 wrote:

#11 Fluker ......... 922
    #13 Brown ......... 818

You left out "fumble creator" (when he took the ball from Russ vs. SF).
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:27 am
  • With all these veteran signings so far in FA I think they will add someone in the draft.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:35 am
  • Largent80 wrote:With all these veteran signings so far in FA I think they will add someone in the draft.

They pretty much do every draft. These signings do change the priority a bit, so our OL picks can be based on talent more than need.

Also looks like Pete won't get his wish, when he said he wanted to keep as many starters as possible. If the new guys are good enough, maybe there won't be a significant continuity penalty.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:38 am
  • There are several top notch centers available as well as guard, and even a few tackles (Wilson).... But after seeing the DE market shrivel in FA....They may be targeting someone there and those pickins are slim.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information