O-Line

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Lots of good centers available this draft. Same with Guards. If the Hawks can keep Britt on a cheaper deal and draft his replacement it would be ideal, and snag one of the great guards available as well.

One that has followed Pete knows what he says isn't always what he does. They aren't going to tip their draft hand before the combine. Heck the Senior Bowl is this weekend and they will all be there.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Largent80":2pneg844 said:
I found this write up.......Logan Stenberg (G, Kentucky)
He’s a pancake machine who dominates opponents with extreme physicality. I’ve not seen a guard manhandle blockers like Stenberg in a long time. He connects, locks-on and drives defender’s off the ball. He’s a punishing finisher and will hammer opponents to the turf, judo-toss them to the ground or plough them off the LOS.

He’s a pure finisher who sets the tone and batters defenders. If you like physical, aggressive run-blocking then this is the guy for you. He’s also adept at the turns and twists and good hand-placement needed to achieve easy wins where he doesn’t have to flat-out dominate with power. He allowed only one pressure in 2019.

I’ve seen some people mention a lack of mobility and athletic limitations but there was nothing glaring. Holding penalties were apparently an issue at Kentucky. That said, the Seahawks love physical run blockers with great size. Stenberg looks like one of the toughest players to enter the league in a while. For me he’s a second or third round value pick who could rise.

I would love it if Seattle added Stenberg. I really hope Pete was just doing coach speak when he said he doesn't see any changes. They need a serious infusion of talent on the line. If you want to run a ball control, deep vertical offense then you need to protect and block at least at a league average level consistently. I don't know enough about line play to say who should go, who should stay but I do know they need to make a few changes. I don't think injuries were the sole reason this line was bad. Even if healthy I doubt the trend of 8 straight years of terrible line play is much better.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
When one actually looks at the personnel it becomes clearer.

Center.....Britt...Torn ACL and entering the most expensive year of his contract. Hunt proved he is a backup and is F.A

LG.....Iupati is an older oft injured F.A....Pocic has never proven himself yet and is also oft injured. Jones and Haynes are newbies and both got injured.

LT...Brown is rock solid but is getting up in age he's signed. Fant plays all over but manned LT well when Brown was out, he's a F.A. and a must keep for me because of his versatility even as a T.E.

RG...Fluker signed for one more year, with the aforementioned players as backups.

RT...Ifedi is a giant Meh who still makes the same pre-snap penalties as he did as a rookie and it's 5 years later and he is a F.A.

Someone will probably offer him too much and I say, see ya.
We need to add one of these very good centers, and at least one guard if not two. Ruiz is a very good center, and Stenberg is a stud. Immediate improvement on the line in spite of being rookies.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Every draft a team should spend 60% of their draft capital on linemen. If a team only has 7 picks 4 of them should be Oline and Dline.

That being said.

Britt is gone. The Seahawks will get 8 million in cap savings by cutting Britt. The joke in Oline circles is "centers don't block", like Britt, Pocic was bad at tackle and guard. Pocic is an NFL starting-caliber center, he played center his entire career at LSU. He was always a center and should have been playing center since day one.

The guard market is really thin for free agents going into the 2020 market.

Some big name guards could be cut too that could make the class a little more enticing for the Hawks.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
When the draft has several very good centers and guards, and a team has a first, 2 seconds and 2 3rds....it would be foolish to throw money at old broken or soon to be broken OL players. The D-Line needs fixing as well and F.A. will be the only place to do that as this draft is devoid of good DE.

Pocic, hasn't proven anything in the NFL yet. Until he does, he's just a body and he's had his chances. Britt wasn't a center in college yet excelled there after failing at other positions. Just because Pocic played C at LSU does not make him a player the Hawks can rely on especially in the long run.... Draft a proven, young center. They are available. And that man will be there thru the RW era.

Here's on sites take on Center.....https://walterfootball.com/draft2020C.php

ivotuk

Reaction score
Largent80":1agvfk34 said:
When the draft has several very good centers and guards, and a team has a first, 2 seconds and 2 3rds....it would be foolish to throw money at old broken or soon to be broken OL players. The D-Line needs fixing as well and F.A. will be the only place to do that as this draft is devoid of good DE.

Pocic, hasn't proven anything in the NFL yet. Until he does, he's just a body and he's had his chances. Britt wasn't a center in college yet excelled there after failing at other positions. Just because Pocic played C at LSU does not make him a player the Hawks can rely on especially in the long run.... Draft a proven, young center. They are available. And that man will be there thru the RW era.

Walterfootball is a bar room toilet of a website. Foul and disgusting,with a smell that hangs on your clothes for hours.

Here you go.

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Draft ... -Draft.asp

To the right of each player is a "BIO" link such as this one:

https://uwbadgers.com/sports/football/r ... adasz/7264

And they have their scouting reports on this page:

2020 Drafttek Scouting Reports

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scou ... t-Home.asp

2020 NFL Draft Scouting Report -- Tyler Biadasz

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scou ... iadasz.asp

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
It's just an analysis, it's not about discrediting a site. Hell I can site Seahawks Draft Blog which is the best site on the planet for college players, but I chose a quick rundown.

All of them say the same thing BTW. Ruiz would be the perfect Hawk center for years to come.

Draft him.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
I hope we find a way to keep Britt. And I think we need to draft his successor. There are good options in the draft. Brown at LT, but we need to look to the future here too. And I don't think that future is Fant. Loved Fant as the 6th O-line/TE in the Jumbo package but I am meh on him as a LT and don't think he is worth a starting salary. Let him walk and someone else overpay. Haynes and Jamarco Jones can be good quality interior guards. Let Joey Hunt walk. Fluker I am OK with...but Iupati is washed up. We need to solve the RT position if we let Ifedi walk.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":30v3993b said:
I hope we find a way to keep Britt. And I think we need to draft his successor. There are good options in the draft. Brown at LT, but we need to look to the future here too. And I don't think that future is Fant. Loved Fant as the 6th O-line/TE in the Jumbo package but I am meh on him as a LT and don't think he is worth a starting salary. Let him walk and someone else overpay. Haynes and Jamarco Jones can be good quality interior guards. Let Joey Hunt walk. Fluker I am OK with...but Iupati is washed up. We need to solve the RT position if we let Ifedi walk.

Tell me how Fant is replaced. Don't try and tell me Jones and Haynes. Both of those two were injured, who is to say they can be counted on? Fant has 4 years in the system and 2 with Solari.

You let Ifedi walk and you have no RT, and you want Fant gone who could man that spot so, then you are relying on 2 seldom used 2nd year players that couldn't stay on the field. You are also relying on Pocic, who also seems injury prone to be available. Meh on Fant as LT????...Really?...he held his own against 2 of the best DE in the league.

Not getting your confidence in 2 rookie injured players, and bringing back a C who tore his ACL very badly and will regress. Attack C and G in the draft. Keep Fant, and get a F.A. OL as a swing man.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Largent80":3rf5kq6x said:
Tell me how Fant is replaced. Don't try and tell me Jones and Haynes. Both of those two were injured, who is to say they can be counted on? Fant has 4 years in the system and 2 with Solari.
I don't think this is the right way to look at it because everyone is an injury risk in the NFL. Fant missed the entire season the one time the team was counting on him to start, so if you are going to use that kind of logic then he shouldn't be counted on either. Despite the group think around here that he is perpetually injured, our 2nd most available OL in the regular season was actually Mike Iupati.

The better way of looking at roster construction is to take a probabilistic view of injuries. Consider a probability distribution of estimated snap counts rather than predicting a binary outcome of whether player X will be healthy or injured. The key is to enough have depth at each position so that if you add all of the estimated snap distributions together you end up with as least as many expected snaps as we end up playing that season. Our third guard next season will likely end up playing quite a bit regardless of who our two starters are.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
It's time to upgrade the OL with new players. It's pretty easy to see.

OK, let Fant walk but you still gave no viable replacement for him.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
As for Britt, I said if healthy keep him this year, BUT draft his replacement as their are good Center options in the draft. That way, a rookie does not have to immediately be thrown into the line as a starter. Another option is to trade Britt instead of cutting him and getting nothing. Fant made it clear that he wants starter money and he only wants to play left tackle. I do not think he is good enough to command a top premium salary. Joey Hunt, it is clear to see that he is too small and got beat by bull rushes. I think Jones and Haynes will be OK as guards......I do not think we can judge Fant on one whole game at LT. If he was great he would have beat out Duane Brown. Right tackle is a dilemma I agree but there are free agent options if we let Ifedi walk or we can draft one. I am wary of Jordan Simmons and his long injury history,

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2s2qrz8q said:
We need to and always draft OL and we should.

Logan Stenberg is a huge mauling guard available in the draft. 3rd round grade. He could be an anchor for many years.

Solomon Kindley of Georgia declared, and he is a stud. If we could get those 2 in the draft we are set at G for years to come.

Both are mid round grades.

Either would be a great pick.

Largent80":2s2qrz8q said:
Cesar Ruiz is a stud for center. We need to draft one for the future.

There are a handful of good ones in this draft. I'd be ok with one of our second round picks here, assuming we shed Britt for cap purposes. Using a day 2 pick in order to avoid the DE talent pool in this draft by allocating Britt money to a UFA DE is smart. Even though I like Britt as a player. Just the way I'm reading the landscape -- it's a tough choice.

Looking at the talent pockets, one could make the case that BPA at 27, 59 and 64 could be OT/OG/OC. Normally, I wouldn't advise focusing that heavily in one group. But in this case, we'd also be paring from this group (Ifedi, and potentially Britt) in order to allocate resources elsewhere where day one talent is not likely to be available via the draft.

If we lose Ifedi and Fant, then we're really tight at OT. Almost have to take one at the end of R1. Not likely to have a legitimate contender to start if we wait to the end of R2.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I agree Atylla....

It's time to use our draft picks positively. We have one RW who will be in hi 9th year already. Give him the good OL players he deserves. Young dudes not these retreads.

Please draft C and G for OL. And re-sign Fant.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Largent80":3k7hw97a said:

Pocic is a pile of crap. He’s shown almost no ability to play effectively at the NFL level.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1d4qxpb2 said:
Largent80":1d4qxpb2 said:

Pocic is a pile of crap. He’s shown almost no ability to play effectively at the NFL level.

Pocic was a Tom Cable pic and it was approved by P & J...They missed, but they missed in a year where there weren't many viable options on O-Line. THIS DRAFT is the polar opposite and they need to take advantage of it.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Don't I recall correctly that Fant began his transformation to O Line at RT? Then he added TE duty. Then he covered for injured Brown at LT. That kind of versatility is worth a hefty sum. Fant could take over at RT for IFedi. Fant is a far superior athlete. Britt is worth the $ IF he is fully recovered. Need some depth there and a fired up young bull to replace Iupati.
So, draft a C and G for O Line.
That leaves us sitting pretty well for addressing our other needs.

blazen2392

Reaction score
ivotuk":9mj8kbsj said:
Re-sign Fant, start him at Right Tackle, and promise him Left Tackle once Duane is done. I feel pretty strongly that D Brown will retire after 2020. He's had some injuries, albeit minor ones, lately. He's getting up there, but, he's still playing at a high level. So I think 2020 will be a great year for him, but I'm predicting that some team success, and minor injuries will cause him to consider his future next year.

Keep Joey Hunt, an economical, functional backup for Guard and Center.

Extend Justin Britt, bring his 2020 and future hits down some with a signing bonus. I don't want to go through another new Center when the rest of the line could be in flux.

Keep Ethan Pocic who is currently on IR

Keep Fluker. He played well, and was available most of the time.

Jamarco Jones, Left Guard. He can also fill in at Left Tackle in an emergency

Phil Haynes at Guard

Creature Man, Jordan Roos at guard

Draft/Sign a Left Tackle Prospect and Guard.

Don't forget Tight Ends in this equation.

Re-up Luke Willson! That guy is INVALUABLE as a blocker, pass catcher, and all around team mate!

Jacob Hollister, what a STEAL this guy was!

Will Dissly, no brainer. LOVE this man.

Swoopes on the Practice Squad

Draft/Sign a "young" Tight End, or an Offensive Lineman/Tight End Hybrid like George Fant or Gary Gilliam...OR Jason Peters.

Cut/Drop: Iupati, and Ed Dickson. Dickson is a great guy, great talent, but he's 32 years old and has a horrible injury history the past 3 years!

Considerations:

Jordan Simmons on IR. Has injury history, but deserves a look this year.

What your suggesting is the same mediocrity we've had at the Oline year in and year out. Starting Fant at RT sounds like a disaster.