The Seahawks chose Malik McDowell with the 35th pick

andyh64000

Reaction score
of the 2017 draft. Guess who was picked at number 36?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
How many qbs were drafted before russ. How many mlb before bobby. How many wr before dk. How many cb before sherm. How many safeties before kam.....

No organizations gonna bat 1000. Were better than most. Cheer up buttercup.....as I tell my 6 yr old. You have it so much better than when I was a kid.....

OP
OP
andyh64000

andyh64000

Reaction score
gowazzu02":25026fxp said:
How many qbs were drafted before russ. How many mlb before bobby. How many wr before dk. How many cb before sherm. How many safeties before kam.....

No organizations gonna bat 1000. Were better than most. Cheer up buttercup.....as I tell my 6 yr old. You have it so much better than when I was a kid.....

To miss so badly on a local guy for someone who never even played a preseason snap?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
andyh64000":204yezuo said:
gowazzu02":204yezuo said:

To miss so badly on a local guy for someone who never even played a preseason snap?

Who cares where he played college. Should we have drafted Isiah stanbeck instead of russ? Or Gabe marks instead of dk? Stop being a fan girl

OP
OP
andyh64000

andyh64000

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1ac5wg3v said:
andyh64000":1ac5wg3v said:
gowazzu02":1ac5wg3v said:

Who cares where he played college. Should we have drafted Isiah stanbeck instead of russ? Or Gabe marks instead of dk? Stop being a fan girl

Fan girl? Are you in middle school?

OP
OP
andyh64000

andyh64000

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":2s185hi8 said:
I'll guess Budda Baker. What do I win?

Admiration.

I just thought it was an interesting unfortunate happenstance. I remember during the draft that I couldn't believe he was still available and that the Hawks would certainly take him.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
andyh64000":2stv3aot said:
gowazzu02":2stv3aot said:

Ah, come on. This is a bit unfair. Hard to predict if a prospect is going to scramble their brains in an accident or not.

OP
OP
andyh64000

andyh64000

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2grels4k said:
andyh64000":2grels4k said:
gowazzu02":2grels4k said:

Ah, come on. This is a bit unfair. Hard to predict if a prospect is going to scramble their brains in an accident or not.

Weren't there character questions about him prior to the decision to ride a four wheeler without a helmet?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3ksxk85d said:
andyh64000":3ksxk85d said:
gowazzu02":3ksxk85d said:

Also the pre draft buzz was we needed corners... so king was the local choice but that doesn't fit the narrative

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
andyh64000":1fbu4rry said:
Hockey Guy":1fbu4rry said:

Admiration.

I just thought it was an interesting unfortunate happenstance. I remember during the draft that I couldn't believe he was still available and that the Hawks would certainly take him.

Why would they take him when they had Kam & ET? They had needs & the DL was 1 of them.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":3g053mlc said:
andyh64000":3g053mlc said:
Hockey Guy":3g053mlc said:

Admiration.

Why would they take him when they had Kam & ET? They had needs & the DL was 1 of them.

Shhh don't bring facts to the thread lol

OP
OP
andyh64000

andyh64000

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":1hkmhhop said:
andyh64000":1hkmhhop said:
Hockey Guy":1hkmhhop said:

Admiration.

Second round I thought they said they always go for best player available over needs and Earl was already bi***ing about getting a new deal at that point (Cowboys come and get me was later that year). Maybe McDowell would have been a hall of famer if he wasn't such a dumbass but that is what you get sometimes when you do draft a dumbass.

Although did the Seahawks have a first round pick that year?

And yes, hindsight is 20/20 but that is what fan message boards are for when you have two weeks between games.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
andyh64000":exkbx7za said:
Hockey Guy":exkbx7za said:
andyh64000":exkbx7za said:
Hockey Guy":exkbx7za said:

Admiration.

Second round I thought they said they always go for best player available over needs and Earl was already bi***ing about getting a new deal at that point (Cowboys come and get me was later that year). Maybe McDowell would have been a hall of famer if he wasn't such a dumbass but that is what you get sometimes when you do draft a dumbass.

Although did the Seahawks have a first round pick that year?

And yes, hindsight is 20/20 but that is what fan message boards are for when you have two weeks between games.

Yes, they had a first round pick #26 & ended up trading down 3 times to end up at #35 so maybe they treated this like it was a 1st round pick & went for needs. I'm pretty sure that "best player available" rule you're citing for JS & the 2nd round isn't set in stone anyway.

Basis4day

Reaction score
By this same logic we should have taken O’Dea High School’s Taylor Mays over Earl Thomas. If anything, Hawks fans tend to overvalue local players. But this is a revision of history. The 12s, at the time, were much more surprised that we missed out on Kevin King.

They have taken on many local high school and college players.

kf3339

Reaction score
The argument shouldn't be about who was taken after McDowell was picked. Rather it should be why we didn't just keep our original 1st round pick and taken TJ Watt. That should have been the choice all along. But then again hindsight is 20/60. :2thumbs:

OP
OP
andyh64000

andyh64000

Reaction score
Basis4day":3oire6k2 said:
By this same logic we should have taken O’Dea High School’s Taylor Mays over Earl Thomas. If anything, Hawks fans tend to overvalue local players. But this is a revision of history. The 12s, at the time, were much more surprised that we missed out on Kevin King.

They have taken on many local high school and college players.

The point of the local comment wasn't because I think they should take local players, it was that they had more opportunity to see his talent than other teams.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I’d argue that they do. Dissly, Kearse, Kasen Williams, Burr Kurven are a couple UW players I can think of.
Then you can expand that to players that played against UW like Blair, Amadi, Cody Barton. There are many more from other schools outside the PAC 12 but that’s just the top of my head.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
andyh64000":vrcc4hfq said:
Maelstrom787":vrcc4hfq said:
andyh64000":vrcc4hfq said:
gowazzu02":vrcc4hfq said:

Weren't there character questions about him prior to the decision to ride a four wheeler without a helmet?

The red flags were about things like his work ethic, his desire to play football, his desire to improve to a level that utilizes his immense talent.

The red flags were not "we think this kid is going to give himself permanent brain damage by flinging himself off of an ATV."

Come on, now. Be a little bit reasonable here. I don't care who you are, other than the guy's mom - no one could have predicted what happened, red flags or no.