Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Doug Peterson had the Eagles +6.5

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Doug Peterson had the Eagles +6.5
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:37 pm
  • No logical reason to go for 2 there except the spread.
    andyh64000
    NET Veteran

Re: Doug Peterson had the Eagles +6.5
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:39 pm
  • Teams have actually started going for 2 in those situations because of analytics. Even if you don't get it you have the chance to get another and still tie. I've seen a few other teams do this recently.
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:43 pm
  • Welshers wrote:Teams have actually started going for 2 in those situations because of analytics. Even if you don't get it you have the chance to get another and still tie. I've seen a few other teams do this recently.

Not to go down 6, they do it to get to 7 when down 15 so they know what is in front of them. There is no reason to go for 2 when down 8.
    andyh64000
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:07 pm
  • andyh64000 wrote:
    Welshers wrote:Teams have actually started going for 2 in those situations because of analytics. Even if you don't get it you have the chance to get another and still tie. I've seen a few other teams do this recently.

Not to go down 6, they do it to get to 7 when down 15 so they know what is in front of them. There is no reason to go for 2 when down 8.

No, they do it to go down to 6 because of analytics. Here is an article on why it is happening:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/281 ... s-backs-up
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:08 pm
  • I think he had issues with his kicker.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:10 pm
  • andyh64000 wrote:No logical reason to go for 2 there except the spread.

Totally. It made no sense at all. I can imagine all the betters out there raging after the hail mary and the two point conversion to lose by a half point on the spread.

Thank god I put in my bet when the line was at -5.5 :2thumbs:
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:14 pm
  • Welshers wrote:
    andyh64000 wrote:
    Welshers wrote:Teams have actually started going for 2 in those situations because of analytics. Even if you don't get it you have the chance to get another and still tie. I've seen a few other teams do this recently.

No, they do it to go down to 6 because of analytics. Here is an article on why it is happening:

Come on, according to the article you linked, this is literally the first time a team has gone for two down 8 intentionally other than in a driving snow storm where they went for 2 every time. Peterson knew what he was doing, he knew the spread and figured he would try to win some Philly fans by covering the spread.
    andyh64000
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:45 pm
  • andyh64000 wrote:
    Welshers wrote:
    andyh64000 wrote:

Come on, according to the article you linked, this is literally the first time a team has gone for two down 8 intentionally other than in a driving snow storm where they went for 2 every time. Peterson knew what he was doing, he knew the spread and figured he would try to win some Philly fans by covering the spread.

Then you didn't read the article. The article is 2 years old, but it said the exact same situation happened twice in 2017 and 3 times in 18. It has happened more since. The article explains the analytics quite clearly
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:57 pm
  • The Packers did it in week eight against the Vikings.

It is a math play.
    Jeremy517
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:59 pm
  • Welshers wrote:
    andyh64000 wrote:
    Welshers wrote:
    andyh64000 wrote:

Then you didn't read the article. The article is 2 years old, but it said the exact same situation happened twice in 2017 and 3 times in 18. It has happened more since. The article explains the analytics quite clearly

You're right, I skimmed and missed the rest of that paragraph. That being said, I still think the spread affected his decision.
    andyh64000
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:37 am
  • TypeSly wrote:
    andyh64000 wrote:No logical reason to go for 2 there except the spread.

Totally. It made no sense at all. I can imagine all the betters out there raging after the hail mary and the two point conversion to lose by a half point on the spread.

LOL, I was watching the game at my friend's house. He and a couple of other guys had the Hawk's +6.5. They each lost roughly $1,600 on that Hail mary/2 pt conversion play. It was as somber an atmosphere as I've ever been in after a Hawk win amongst Hawk's fans
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:54 am
  • It was an odd call with their kicker being automatic on extra points all year except this game. That said, I had a strange feeling they would go for 2. Just was expecting something more elaborate than a run up the middle.
    Hawks 'n Nucks
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:27 am
  • OrangeGravy wrote:
    TypeSly wrote:

LOL, I was watching the game at my friend's house. He and a couple of other guys had the Hawk's +6.5. They each lost roughly $1,600 on that Hail mary/2 pt conversion play. It was as somber an atmosphere as I've ever been in after a Hawk win amongst Hawk's fans

I have nowhere near that kind of cheddar to bet on games but years ago in Reno I learned that betting the Hawks against the spread is a bad idea as they usually don't cover it.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:07 pm
  • Moneyball.
    Nothinbutm
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:38 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    OrangeGravy wrote:
    TypeSly wrote:

I have nowhere near that kind of cheddar to bet on games but years ago in Reno I learned that betting the Hawks against the spread is a bad idea as they usually don't cover it.

I haven't lost this season when I've bet on the Hawks. The lines this season have been really conservative -2.5 to -6, and one where the Rams were favored by 3 I believe.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information