Pete Carroll: Seahawks reached out to Cam Newton

John63

Reaction score

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Twitter told me this morning that Cam wants 1.5M and doesn't want to be a backup.

Seems like two hurdles the Hawks wouldn't want to jump over for a QB that'd only be the QB for the next 2-3 games.

I won't lie, it'd make the next 2-3 games fun as hell to watch, but doesn't seem like a good fit unless Russell has a big setback and will be out for a much longer period of time.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
When Rivera showed no interest in Cam when WFT needed some QB. That's gotta mean something right?

It's crazy to think Cam in 6 years went from SB and MVP winner to not playing for a single team and not due to some freak injury

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":10r4oscn said:
Twitter told me this morning that Cam wants 1.5M and doesn't want to be a backup.

Seems like two hurdles the Hawks wouldn't want to jump over for a QB that'd only be the QB for the next 2-3 games.

I won't lie, it'd make the next 2-3 games fun as hell to watch, but doesn't seem like a good fit unless Russell has a big setback and will be out for a much longer period of time.

I don't know if they have miracle water for fingers. I really don't expect RW to come back on-time or sooner than expected. He's already hit the years where the body's recovering is slowing down. Oh btw was it just me or did RW look like a guy on the sidelines who isn't getting much sleep? that doesn't do well for recovery either.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Cam would be better than Geno, but does the team really need another headache.

LTH

Reaction score
IMO it would be a HUGE mistake to sign Cam... he doesn't know the O and he is a idiot...

LTH

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I HATE Cam but he would absolutely be an upgrade over Geno. It would have been a smart signing so understand why they didn’t do it.

flv

Reaction score
Personally I hope Smith can keep the Seahawks competitive until Wilson comes back. I'm not sure Newton is the answer but it's hard to see Smith and Etling being the answer to anything. It's a tough spot for the Seahawks. Either upgrading the QB position or dumping salary would make sense. However, 2-4 is a bit early to dump. Dumping at the deadline would make more sense.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Cam Newton was awful on the New England Patriots last season. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade over Geno Smith he is at this juncture in his career, especially since Geno Smith has had a full offseason in this system.

I think whether we stick with Geno, sign Blake Bortles or Cam Newton we're going to be stuck in the same position. Personally i'd just go with an offense that relies on a run heavy attack and short completions. When teams cheat up run a deep play action fake to keep them honest. I think Geno can do that for us. We also should find a way to use him as a rusher as he is pretty athletic.

John63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":vvor869v said:
Cam Newton was awful on the New England Patriots last season. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade over Geno Smith he is at this juncture in his career, especially since Geno Smith has had a full offseason in this system.

I think whether we stick with Geno, sign Blake Bortles or Cam Newton we're going to be stuck in the same position. Personally i'd just go with an offense that relies on a run heavy attack and short completions. When teams cheat up run a deep play action fake to keep them honest. I think Geno can do that for us. We also should find a way to use him as a rusher as he is pretty athletic.

UNtil Wilson is back that might make the most sense

byau

Reaction score
I liked Rams Geno a heck of a lot better than Steelers Geno. He looked really disheartened and not really ready.

It hit me when I saw the sideline shots of Geno ... just staring off into space like he had no idea what to do, compared to the sideline shots we are used to of Russ studying the game and the tablet. Whether he just turned the ball over or just scored a TD, sure Russ would shake his head or celebrate, and then back to studying for the next play.

If we can get back the attitude Geno, I'm all for it. Otherwise, at least Cam has some fire in him. Heck I would almost take Nick Mullens, he had fire too. I'd even consider Kaepernick. Geno just looked really lost.

Not even about skill, it's about fire.

I actually liked when he took off on that last play vs the Steelers, sure he fumbled, but he actually reacted quickly, similar to Geno in the 4th quarter against the Rams. And yeah both were turnovers, and I hope he doesn't let that get into his head and make him gunshy, because I think Hawks need some of that fire.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
byau":1j604x1b said:
I liked Rams Geno a heck of a lot better than Steelers Geno. He looked really disheartened and not really ready.

Its the difference between a defense protecting a lead and playing prevent and a defense that had their ears pinned back.

chris98251

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1q2666ej said:
byau":1q2666ej said:

Its the difference between a defense protecting a lead and playing prevent and a defense that had their ears pinned back.

Or a 3-4 versus a 4-3.

RVA_311

Reaction score
I know people don't like him (myself included), but there is zero doubt Cam would be an upgrade over Geno. I appreciate and respect the hell out of the effort Geno has given so far, but Cam is simply better. I still don't think current Cam would get us where we need to go, since without Russ we're still just not talented enough overall at the moment.

And really it likely won't end up mattering, because I definitely don't see Cam voluntarily entering a situation where he at most gets 3-4 starts and then knows he's heading to the bench. He still believes he is a QB1.

hawker84

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":24ocx8xv said:
Cam would be better than Geno, but does the team really need another headache.

Normally I'd agree with you on this, but at this point, does it really matter? Just my opinion, but anybody thinking this season is still salvageable, or were actually going to do something in the playoffs should we somehow stumble in is wishful thinking I'm afraid....

Latest posts