Gonzaga BB 2020/21 season

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I always like to place top teams after march. We shall see but looks like it.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Agreed, this team has a long ways to go to truly be talked about in these terms but I do see potential and so have the hall of fame coaches that have played the Zags.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Best Zags team I’ve seen and I’ve watched just about every season closely since 1999 and almost every game since 2008.

Clearly the best team.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Only thing that worries me is front court depth. If god forbid Timme was out that could spell trouble. Ballo is coming along but I don't trust him to play more than 15 minutes or so.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags go up 20-2 early and never looked back. This team is a level of good I have never personally seen at the college level. The bench played a lot of the second half and there was a very noticeable difference. I do think this team has a chance to be undefeated.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":mrmy8zsl said:
Zags go up 20-2 early and never looked back. This team is a level of good I have never personally seen at the college level. The bench played a lot of the second half and there was a very noticeable difference. I do think this team has a chance to be undefeated.

Haven’t seen a single team half as good in college.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
No posts here in 2 weeks ... because nothing really to discuss until round of 16 when real competition returns.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
WCC has actually been better the last couple of years but this year the Zags are so good the league games are not a whole lot of fun to watch. SMC gave the zags trouble for a half but thats about it.

There still remains some hope the Zags and Baylor could possibly play. I would love to see that.
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/ ... eschedule/

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah nothing to discuss.

They’re the best team in the nation, but the tourney can be dangerous. All it takes is one bad shooting game and you season can be over.

I think it’s final four or bust for Gonzaga. That’s how high expectations are. Some could argue its championship game or bust.

getnasty

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1td60kyf said:
Yeah nothing to discuss.

They’re the best team in the nation, but the tourney can be dangerous. All it takes is one bad shooting game and you season can be over.

I think it’s final four or bust for Gonzaga. That’s how high expectations are. Some could argue its championship game or bust.

Anything less then a National Championship is goona feel dissapointing but final four would definitely be a great accomplishment.

Forthewin

Reaction score
Why is GU doing so well? Mark Few.
Why has GU never won a Championship? Mark Few.
Coaches win Championships, not players. Its why Duke and North Carolina have so many.

With the team being stacked with NBA caliber players, Few has no more excuses. I hope they win but I won't be shocked if they don't.

Crizilla

Reaction score
They've been the best team in the country for 2 years now. Anything less than Final Four is complete failure.

Hawks2022":1aqapjm1 said:
Coaches win Championships, not players. Its why Duke and North Carolina have so many.

With the team being stacked with NBA caliber players, Few has no more excuses. I hope they win but I won't be shocked if they don't.

One of the worst posts I've read on this board. You're insane if you think Few wouldn't have at least one title if he coached a blue blood.

getnasty

Reaction score
Hawks2022":146d7ejq said:

I'm not so sure it doesn't hurt to have a top recruiting class every year too. Eventhough GU is ranked 1 in the country don't think for a second they have the same talent as a Duke, Carolina, Kentucky or Kansas.

I'm no fan of Mark Few and they tend to underachieve in the tournament but hard to say he's not an elite coach.

I thought they had just as good of a shot last year, unfortunately covid cost them a chance.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Without Anthony Davis, John Kalipari doesn't have any national titles, and he's considered an elite coach. Kentucky dominated the tourney that year. Tyler Hansbrough got Roy Williams a title at UNC as well. College sports is definitely mostly about players/recruits. The only reason Gonzaga has gotten decent recruits lately is BECAUSE of Mark Few.

Maulbert

Reaction score
getnasty":2bqb4mrk said:
Hawks2022":2bqb4mrk said:

I'm not so sure it doesn't hurt to have a top recruiting class every year too. Eventhough GU is ranked 1 in the country don't think for a second they have the same talent as a Duke, Carolina, Kentucky or Kansas.

I'm no fan of Mark Few and they tend to underachieve in the tournament but hard to say he's not an elite coach.

I thought they had just as good of a shot last year, unfortunately covid cost them a chance.

Few should have a championship. He was hosed by the refs in the 2nd half of the 2017 title game. Everyone knows.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Maulbert":1aycavs2 said:
getnasty":1aycavs2 said:
Hawks2022":1aycavs2 said:

Few should have a championship. He was hosed by the refs in the 2nd half of the 2017 title game. Everyone knows.
Exactly, also the Zags have not underperformed in the tournament compared to their seed. In fact they have overperformed. I think people have this idea they have been knocked out early a lot which just isn't the case.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I takes great coaching plus great talent to cut the nets. Gonzaga has only really been in play for the elite recruits over the last 5 years or so. I don't think it's fair to say Few has held this team back in any respect ... he built a top 5 program from nothing in a garbage conference. It's unprecedented and I don't think can every be duplicated.

10 years ago, it was a top 15 program. Still impressive, but not a final-4 program. It is now. Mark Few did that, no one else.