Gonzaga BB 2020/21 season

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Championship game was a great game last night. I hope everyone was able to catch it. BYU couldn't miss in the first half and led by 12 at the break. Kispert came out blazing in the second half and Suggs sealed the win with some huge shots in the end plus outstanding defense as well. Special player I wish we could have him another year that wasn't so affected by covid restrictions.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Women's final crazy as well. Buzzer beater with under 1 second from Jill Townsend who then had to go to the bench and throw up.

On the men's game --- they were guarding the 7 footers in the post with guards and using their length to disrupt the ball action and entry passes. Kind of brilliant. BYU is going to win games in the tourney. I think they're a real shot to play in the second weekend.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Gonzaga needed that kind of game from last night. They’ve been blowing opponents out for so long, they needed a true test. Even a loss there wouldn’t have been that bad for them.

I think it’s championship or bust for them. They are clearly the best team in the country. Sure there are 64 teams in the field, but there are only about 7 or 8 real contenders and then probably a team or two that will surprise. Anything short of the final four is a failure. I think they finally have the team to win it all. They are a bit weak inside and an athletic team could give them some issues. As a UW fan, I won’t be rooting for them but it’s only a matter of time til they win the championship.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawk lock what is going on with The Husky basketball program? I'm not trying to needle or poke fun I'm just curious to get your take on what has gone wrong.
I honestly thought they were headed in the right direction with Hopkins.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Natethegreat":wg8v6lj6 said:
Hawk lock what is going on with The Husky basketball program? I'm not trying to needle or poke fun I'm just curious to get your take on what has gone wrong.
I honestly thought they were headed in the right direction with Hopkins.

Most everyone thought they were heading in the right direction after Hop’s first two seasons.

I like Hop and think he is a good coach, but not sure he knows how to build a team. He was successful his first two seasons here, but those were with Romar’s recruits. He is yet to show he can win with his own guys. He has really struggled recruiting the local kids, which is what separates UW from most other mid tier programs. It isn’t a secret how to succeed at UW, recruit the local kids and pull a few kids from out of state.

I kind of gave him a pass last season with Green going ineligible. The team was rolling up until then. But I was really discouraged when he missed on this past recruiting class. It was considered one of the best in a long time and he was only able to land Jackson Grant. He needed to hit on that class, he didn’t. Now the coaching staff likely has to look at transfers.

Hop will likely be back next season. I think if UW can finish somewhere around middle of the conference next season, he will keep his job. Another season near the bottom, then he should be gone.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags number one seed in the west which means nothing this year. They have just about every opponent they faced in non conference schedule in their bracket. Vey odd, but oh well. Can't wait for the tournament to start!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think it’s a pretty nice draw for Gonzaga. Would be surprised if they don’t reach the final four.

The one team that could give them issues would be Creighton. They can really score and have some great players.

I will most likely have Zags winning in all in my bracket.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I think the Zags have a decent draw as well. I also think they are the best team in college basketball this season and I'm not sure it's close.
I think they win it all this year but it's one and done so who knows. That's what I love about March madnes.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
It's just so strange to me that the 2, 3 and 4 seeds are all teams they beat already.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags looked like the best team in the field tonight. Almost up by 50 throughout the second half.

Ruminator

Reaction score
How about that Ayayi pass off the backboard to Suggs for the alley-oop slam! Last time I remember enjoying that was when Payton put the ball up off the glass for Kemp a bunch of times in the 90s.

Fun first round, and plenty of upsets!

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Ruminator":2ejkxxlc said:
How about that Ayayi pass off the backboard to Suggs for the alley-oop slam! Last time I remember enjoying that was when Payton put the ball up off the glass for Kemp a bunch of times in the 90s.

Fun first round, and plenty of upsets!
That pass by Ayayi for the dunk by Suggs was pretty awesome! Loved it! I think thats the first time I have seen a play like that in the tournament. It helps when your up by 30 though lol.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Suggs reminds me of the Glove. Defensive lock-down, crazy athlete ... not a shooter but dominates the ball. Time will tell.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Suggs has not played well in either game. Not sure if it's nerves or what but hopefully he pulls out of it.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Suggs still making some amazing plays, but also stupid turnovers and forced shots. He also needs to stop leading his drives with his arm, too many damn fouls. I almost think he could use another year at college but that's not happening he's too talented to stick around.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Yeah, this is unreal. Number 5 ranked recruit in the nation. Huge committment on the level of Suggs. Not saying he is as good but the level of recruits we get now is insane and the number one recruit for this class (Chet Holmgren) is rumored to be a heavy Zag lean too!

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags looking like a clear cut above the rest of the field this year. So much more fun to watch too!

Threedee

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3u926bbz said:
Zags looking like a clear cut above the rest of the field this year. So much more fun to watch too!

All eight teams looked to struggle offensively yesterday, that it seemed refreshing to see both teams scoring at will during the opening 5-10 minutes. Even when Gonzaga stepped-up and shut them down, I feel as though Creighton would have exploded on every team that had played. Not a bad look for the Zags.