3rd Round, Pick #90 C.J. Prosise, RB, Notre Dame

bmorepunk

Reaction score
ZornwasaleftY":2o4w2o6d said:
kid has some burst.

I just watched some videos of him, and his acceleration is insanely fast between slow and top speed. His mechanics are really smooth doing it too; it's hard to believe. Hopefully he can develop to help the team, because if he can be on the field with that pop he's going to disappear into the end zone.

CPHawk

Reaction score
FortWorthSeahawk":snltcjph said:
Well it looks like he only carried the rock in his left hand. Michaels does the same, only with his right.

Put them in a split back formation where Prosise only runs left and Michaels runs right. Championship.

Michael has had his entire life to fix that, CJ less than a year. I'll bet on the kid who hasn't been a head case.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He will have an instant impact and be the third down guy from game 1. Huge upgrade over Jackson. Love this pick.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't think the comparison to CMike is an insult here, as CMike also has loads of potential that he just hasn't realized. It also helps that we may get a lot from Prosise on special teams while he's working on pass protection and ball security. His interest in being a gunner would really help him make an impact in 2016.

I still think we need a 3rd down back for 2016.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wonder is Lynch may hang around a bit and talk to the kid, Lynch was very helpful to Rawls and he is getting paid till cut or he officially retires.

Seafan

Reaction score
Unlike Henry this kid hasn't been taking a pounding. He looks to have a longer NFL life ahead.

TasteTheBeastmode

Reaction score
8.5 inch hands are positively tiny for a six foot tall man. :shock: I am 5'9" and my not large hands are 9" and I can't grip a regulation sized ball for crap. I fear this guy may end up having fumble itis.

kearly

Reaction score
I watched a couple games of his just now.

I like that he's a lower body weight type of player, similar to Golden Tate and Chris Polk. He has decent balance for his size and spins out of lazy tackles fairly often.

I think the comparison to C-Mike is way off the mark. Michael had a 1.49 ten yard split and it showed on the field. Michael was freakishly explosive in the short area and was almost always running at around 100% speed/intensity. Prosise is much more like a David Johnson or Derrick Henry in that he tends to run at around 70% speed until he's in the clear. Once he's in the clear and squares his shoulders, he hits the jets and shows that he has an extra gear. This is in contrast to Michael who's extremely explosive and intense in short areas but lacks the extra gear at the top end. If anything, Prosise is the anti-C-Mike.

I think he's a very similar player to Dwayne Washington of the Huskies. Both are converted WRs to RBs with heavy legs and a blazing extra gear, and both are very raw as RBs.

Because RB is such an instinctual position, I generally dislike drafting "project" RBs who haven't shown instincts or natural aptitude, and this pick is no exception. Furthermore, I think Prosise is exactly the kind of RB that's only going to be as good as his blocking since he's always waiting for blocks and lacks decisiveness, short area explosiveness and recovery.

Basically, I think this is a good looking prospect on paper but looking at him on video I think that unfortunately he is not any better suited for our running game than Derrick Henry was. Sure, he can hit some home runs if you give him a gaping hole to run through, but he doesn't have much ability to create and he's too patient for Cable's system which requires extreme urgency and instincts.

I get why Seattle made this pick but ultimately I think it will prove to be a mistake. I hope I am wrong and that he develops, or, I hope that the OL gets so good that it won't matter even if I'm right.

CPHawk

Reaction score
TasteTheBeastmode":4sjcrl7y said:
8.5 inch hands are positively tiny for a six foot tall man. :shock: I am 5'9" and my not large hands are 9" and I can't grip a regulation sized ball for crap. I fear this guy may end up having fumble itis.

Same size as Henry, oh and you might want to work on your strength. Griping a regulation ball shouldn't be hard.

TasteTheBeastmode

Reaction score
CPHawk":15g0iaoo said:
TasteTheBeastmode":15g0iaoo said:

Same size as Henry, oh and you might want to work on your strength. Griping a regulation ball shouldn't be hard.

Maybe my hitch hiker thumbs give me more trouble than most would have. Still that's a physical stat that's gonna give me concern until he shows it's not a problem.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Devonte Booker or Jordan Howard are probably better backs available but Prosise isn't bad. Not the best back on the board, IMO, but no slouch either.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
kearly":1qwxz4ed said:
I watched a couple games of his just now.

I like that he's a lower body weight type of player, similar to Golden Tate and Chris Polk. He has decent balance for his size and spins out of lazy tackles fairly often.

I think the comparison to C-Mike is way off the mark. Michael had a 1.49 ten yard split and it showed on the field. Michael was freakishly explosive in the short area and was almost always running at around 100% speed/intensity. Prosise is much more like a David Johnson or Derrick Henry in that he tends to run at around 70% speed until he's in the clear. Once he's in the clear and squares his shoulders, he hits the jets and shows that he has an extra gear. This is in contrast to Michael who's extremely explosive and intense in short areas but lacks the extra gear at the top end. If anything, Prosise is the anti-C-Mike.

I think he's a very similar player to Dwayne Washington of the Huskies. Both are converted WRs to RBs with heavy legs and a blazing extra gear, and both are very raw as RBs.

Because RB is such an instinctual position, I generally dislike drafting "project" RBs who haven't shown instincts or natural aptitude, and this pick is no exception. Furthermore, I think Prosise is exactly the kind of RB that's only going to be as good as his blocking since he's always waiting for blocks and lacks decisiveness, short area explosiveness and recovery.

Basically, I think this is a good looking prospect on paper but looking at him on video I think that unfortunately he is not any better suited for our running game than Derrick Henry was. Sure, he can hit some home runs if you give him a gaping hole to run through, but he doesn't have much ability to create and he's too patient for Cable's system which requires extreme urgency and instincts.

I get why Seattle made this pick but ultimately I think it will prove to be a mistake. I hope I am wrong and that he develops, or, I hope that the OL gets so good that it won't matter even if I'm right.

Pete said in in post-Day 2 Presser he views Prosise as a Third Down/Receiving back, initially. I tend to agree with you in principle, in that, Prosise seems to really struggle when the blocking is muddled and their isn't a clear decision. He also doesn't match the rest of the draft. The other 4 pick ooze physicality and getting back to that grit and bully mentality. But to burn a 3rd round pick on a 3rd Down RB doesn't quite add up.

I think Prosise will rip off a few big plays next year and show the athleticism that makes him special, but we won't see him actually turn into anything more for probably 2-3 years if we're lucky. That said, according to Matt Waldman, Prosise actively sought out teaching to learn how to improve and I think there is some natural feel for the position which is promising.

All that said, I am happy with this draft. It's not great, but there are clear roles each of these players are going to play, and clear opportunity to contribute, much in the way Lockett had clear opportunity last year. I think this is a happy change from the 2013/2014 drafts which just felt like drafting projects to redshirt and see what happened.

JKent82

Reaction score
Yxes1122":3dvl72n0 said:
The other 4 pick ooze physicality and getting back to that grit and bully mentality. But to burn a 3rd round pick on a 3rd Down RB doesn't quite add up.

Seemed like Dixon would make so much sense. All the third down skills plus being a hard-nosed physical back.

I guess they want the home runs.

acbass

Reaction score
I love this pick. The guy is incredible at setting up his blocks, you can see that on that reel. He has the size to power over people, the speed to get around the edge, and his pass catching ability means he can line up anywhere and create a matchup nightmare. He torched Clemson when they played and that's always a plus for me. This guy is going to special in this offense. He wil be looked at as an absolute steal in a couple of years... Hell, maybe by December we're saying that. I love what they have done in this draft.

kearly

Reaction score
Yxes1122":8m2lvr5f said:
Pete said in in post-Day 2 Presser he views Prosise as a Third Down/Receiving back, initially. I tend to agree with you in principle, in that, Prosise seems to really struggle when the blocking is muddled and their isn't a clear decision. He also doesn't match the rest of the draft. The other 4 pick ooze physicality and getting back to that grit and bully mentality. But to burn a 3rd round pick on a 3rd Down RB doesn't quite add up.

I think Prosise will rip off a few big plays next year and show the athleticism that makes him special, but we won't see him actually turn into anything more for probably 2-3 years if we're lucky. That said, according to Matt Waldman, Prosise actively sought out teaching to learn how to improve and I think there is some natural feel for the position which is promising.

All that said, I am happy with this draft. It's not great, but there are clear roles each of these players are going to play, and clear opportunity to contribute, much in the way Lockett had clear opportunity last year. I think this is a happy change from the 2013/2014 drafts which just felt like drafting projects to redshirt and see what happened.

Going by SPARQ, Ifedi and Prosise are the only players to rate average or better. I'm shocked by how much Seattle's is thumbing their noses at athleticism this year so far.

Prosise has a good profile as a pure 3rd down back. He's like a very, very poor man's David Johnson.

I liked what Seattle did on day one but day two was pretty bad, IMO. Day 2 was make or break for their draft so they took a pure run stuffer, a pure blocking TE, a pure 3rd down back, and a worse version of John Moffitt. And lost a 4th rounder in the process. These aren't building block players or future stars. They are role players.

I hated the 2014 draft but at least the picks projected as starters and many of them had high upside. This year it feels like they are just filling out the fringes of the roster instead of building the foundation for the next generation of Seahawks teams.

jake206

Reaction score
Redundant..guy is super raw. Better pick later in the 6th round. He's played only 1 year at RB.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Fast, strong, explosive and a good pass catcher. He's an immediate upgrade over Fred Jackson and even has a good shot to push Rawls and Michaels for playing time. Not that bad of a pick.