49ers fans jump Vikings fan after MNF

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2h8zd007 said:
Sports Hernia":2h8zd007 said:
Popeyejones":2h8zd007 said:
Just reposting this explanation/background for this type of stuff at 9ers games from the other 9ers friend where this vid was first posted, if anyone is curious.

It's true that we have know way of knowing if thats the story in this video, but having been to a ton of 9ers games since the below transition happened, well, umm, I have yet to see it NOT be the story...

Due to California's gang injunction and three strike laws in the 90s and early 2Ks prison-gang populations boomed and 5-10 years out upon release those prison gangs ended up jumping the walls and becoming street gangs (the state of CA basically created the problem it was trying to prevent).

This is only relevent to the 9ers because one of the -if not the- largest gangs to migrate out of prisons was the Nortenos ("Northeners"; a loosly affiliated network of bloods), who ended up adopting the 9ers because of the color of their jerseys. With that transition in the mid-2Ks the reputation of 9ers fans transitioned from wine sipping effettes to thugs.

As a result you end up seeing stuff like you saw in that video: A bunch of 9ers fans yelling stop and trying to break up fights while guys who were hardened and criminalized through doing prison time due to draconian sentencing (and are 9ers fans because they rep Northern California and 9ers jerseys match their gang affiliation and Raiders' jerseys don't) are starting a bunch of fights between each other and with random others.
Still not a good excuse for what happened.

Just as a point of clarification, my post wasn't even remotely intended to be an excuse, it was intended to be an explanation.
Fair enough.... what in your mind should be done to stop this from happening or at least cut down the chances of it happening? I ask that as an honest question.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":38zb123a said:
Fair enough.... what in your mind should be done to stop this from happening or at least cut down the chances of it happening? I ask that as an honest question.

The only thing you can ever really do outside of a police presence which they have is eliminate alcohol consumption...and no NFL team will do that.

They have made efforts to limit it, but sometimes people walk into the stadium tanked and there isn't much they can do about it.

I'll tell you what tho...if that guy had pushed my wife...I might have trouble backing down.

Anyway...another side note. I don't think any of them have been an issue in this regard, but there is another NEW element in the stands these days.

Aussies. Tons of 'em sporting #38 Hayne jerseys. Two of them in the section next to me (and who got themselves on the MNF broadcast) had Kangaroo Baloons and were TANKED. They had to be removed from the game. I will say this tho...as they were being removed, they pretty much said stuff like "No worries mate" to the police. LOL.

nategreat

Reaction score
The obvious answer is a huge team of armed guards at every football game, paid for by the owner and maybe a bit by the NFL, even if it costs millions. This is ridiculous, yet not surprising whatsoever for these 49er/Oakland teams. This should piss everyone off, and something needs to be done about it. What's being done isn't enough. Next time it'll be knives or guns, and nobody will be surprised yet again, because, hey... yeah, that's the 49ers for you.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
nategreat":16jfnpxr said:
The obvious answer is a huge team of armed guards at every football game, paid for by the owner and maybe a bit by the NFL, even if it costs millions. This is ridiculous, yet not surprising whatsoever for these 49er/Oakland teams. This should piss everyone off, and something needs to be done about it. What's being done isn't enough. Next time it'll be knives or guns, and nobody will be surprised yet again, because, hey... yeah, that's the 49ers for you.
That and also national media coverage. Remember that this venue is hosting SB50 which is a big deal for the NFL.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":a0rn6cxh said:

Switch to black jerseys so Nortenos don't want to wear them anymore? :lol:

Seriously though, I don't know.

I think first I'd want to see violent crime rates in and around the stadium as compared to other NFL stadiums. IIRC there was the bathroom incident caught on tape last year and one or two incidents at Candlestick the year before, but again, if we're talking 4 incidents across 2.25 million people filtering in and out of the stadium over three years I'd want to see how that compares to other stadiums.

I'm also guessing we never hear about most violent crimes in any stadium, so I'd want to first know how much of a real or perceived problem we're talking about.

Then I'd want to start controlling for different policy effects across different stadiums to see if we could isolate out a "Norteno" effect with the 9ers, which I think exists (as does Marv and many other 9ers fans), but I'd want to make sure about that.

If you find one, though, I don't know what to do. The problem is much bigger than the 9ers.

If it were me and I wanted to curb stadium violence at all costs I'd get rid of tailgating and all alcohol sales or possesion on stadium property. That's just me though, and it will NEVER happen.

So, sorry, that was a REALLY long way to say dude, I agree it's a problem, but I just don't know. :)

mikeak

Reaction score
ivotuk":kxcyye06 said:
I call BS when I see something like "hardened in prisons and draconian sentencing." They didn't get in jail for jay walking, and you can't blame jail for that kind of behavior. They went there looking for it, and I'm sure this is the type of behavior that got them put in jail in the first place.

Not jaywalking - you are right but do you really call these things fair?.......

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/three-strikes-28-10-2002/

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
A large Police presence?! First Santa Clara is a small town of 116,468 residents located about 45 miles from the City of SF. Security was one of the most serious issues going forward when Goodell gave the green light to build Levi's, because the Police force in Santa Clara is small. Since the completion of building Levi's, the City of Santa Clara has recruited volunteers, CHP, and some of the Police Enforcement from some of the other surrounding cities in the Valley. But apparently there should be a huge show of Police Enforcement in the Parking Lots, and Streets around Levi's when the games let out.

Marvin49

Reaction score
greenblue_eye's2":t9897yqz said:
A large Police presence?! First Santa Clara is a small town of 116,468 residents located about 45 miles from the City of SF. Security was one of the most serious issues going forward when Goodell gave the green light to build Levi's, because the Police force in Santa Clara is small. Since the completion of building Levi's, the City of Santa Clara has recruited volunteers, CHP, and some of the Police Enforcement from some of the other surrounding cities in the Valley. But apparently there should be a huge show of Police Enforcement in the Parking Lots, and Streets around Levi's when the games let out.

Overstating just a tad. LOL.

Yes, SC is very small, but it's not like its in Timbuktu. It borders the largest city in the Bay Area, San Jose. San Jose is larger in size and population than SF and is the heart of Silicon Valley. There is a reason the 49ers moved near San Jose and why the A's have been desperately trying to move there.

Getting Law Enforcement from San Jose has NOT been an issue. I live next door to a retired San Jose Police Officer who ran security at Candlestick and continues to do so at Levi's.

Peeps need to get over this notion that Levis was built out in the boondocks, a long ways away from SF so poor SC is stretched thin meeting the demands. Not the case. Santa Clara is surrounded by a huge metropolitan area with tech companies on every block.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":3oqox04r said:
There is a reason the 49ers moved near San Jose and why the A's have been desperately trying to move there.

What's stopping them, don't they know the way?

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Marvin49":16oq5t0y said:
greenblue_eye's2":16oq5t0y said:

Yes, SC is very small, but it's not like its in Timbuktu. It borders the largest city in the Bay Area, San Jose. San Jose is larger in size and population than SF and is the heart of Silicon Valley. There is a reason the 49ers moved near San Jose and why the A's have been desperately trying to move there.

Getting Law Enforcement from San Jose has NOT been an issue. I live next door to a retired San Jose Police Officer who ran security at Candlestick and continues to do so at Levi's.

Peeps need to get over this notion that Levis was built out in the boondocks, a long ways away from SF so poor SC is stretched thin meeting the demands. Not the case. Santa Clara is surrounded by a huge metropolitan area with tech companies on every block.

In the bay, there really aren't separate cities. The boundaries between most cities is literally just a street. Go across the street in Santa Clara, now you're in San Jose. Go down a couple blocks, now you're in Campbell. Go down a couple more, now you're in Los Gatos. The south bay has over a million people and ample police presence. Out in the boonies, this is not.

I have several friends who live within 3 miles of the stadium. We pregame at their house before we go to games (I've been to 2, both times repping Hawks gear (vs. Rams and vs. Hawks). Walking out of the games, I've never felt threatened. There were quite a few police officers, security staff, random cop cars parked all over the place. If you're looking for trouble, I'm sure you can find it, but if you keep to your own, no one will bother you.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I finally had a chance to visit Levi's, as I was in town on business two weeks ago. . . I must admit it is a nice looking stadium, much like Stanford's clean open design (only much larger). It was only a preseason game, but there was missing the kinetic vibe that you get at a place like CenturyLink or at the old Candlestick. The Chargers fans in attendance were much louder than the pinot drinking Niner fans in attendance. I did really enjoy the in-seat service app that allows you to order beer, wine, and food to your seat. Everything I ordered arrived to my seat in under 5 min. I don't wear Seahawks gear to rival stadiums, so I didn't encounter any problems.

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
Marvin49":3fi7n8d1 said:
greenblue_eye's2":3fi7n8d1 said:

I just state the facts Mr. Marvin...So you don't have to Spin Doctor me, like you do with the sheeple on 49erWebzone.com?! I've seen plenty of your work on that website, you're Legendary @ Spinning...Smdh, lolz...

Security "was" a big issue, due to the fact that the City of Santa Clara is responsible for the Safety of 70,000 people attending football Games at Levi's. And Yes Santa Clara is a very small community in the Valley, just like Sunnyvale, Mountain View, & Alviso are all small communities, which all help make SC County one large County.

Is Santa Clara's Police Force is smaller than San Francisco's ..."Yes"
Did Mayor Jamie Matthews, of Santa Clara have to employ other Police Departments from surrounding communities to help Santa Clara out with security along with the CHP, plus some Volunteers at Levi's..."Yes"

All I was saying is maybe they should use a larger Police presence when the game is let out at Levi's in the Parking lots, and since a lot of Fans have to walk a ways to their vehicles, to distant Parking Lots, it would be helpful if more Police were out there?! Nobody said "anything" about SC being in the Boondocks, but what I do sense is an Inferiority Complex, which most folks from the South Bay have about San Francisco...That's cool, and understandable Marvin.

And no ...I'm not a resident of SF, and I am certainly not a 9er Fan, I just know some of the background isht about Levi's, and how it went down, just like everyone else who lives in the Bay. Difference is that I don't spin folks.

Which brings me to this, why are you telling these good folks on this website that the A's are desperate to come to San Jo for??? The MLB Commissioner said as much 2 weeks ago, that San Jose deal is done, over, & dead?! Its all caught up in the Anti-Trust Courts, and with the SF Giants claiming the South Bay is their territory, its over. The Owner of the A's is working closely on staying in Oaktown with Oakland's Mayor, for a Baseball only Stadium, when the Raiders leave for Los Angeles.

Marvin49

Reaction score
greenblue_eye's2":3d9v9f9d said:
Marvin49":3d9v9f9d said:
greenblue_eye's2":3d9v9f9d said:

I just state the facts Mr. Marvin...So you don't have to Spin Doctor me, like you do with the sheeple on 49erWebzone.com?! I've seen plenty of your work on that website, you're Legendary @ Spinning...Smdh, lolz...

Security "was" a big issue, due to the fact that the City of Santa Clara is responsible for the Safety of 70,000 people attending football Games at Levi's. And Yes Santa Clara is a very small community in the Valley, just like Sunnyvale, Mountain View, & Alviso are all small communities, which all help make SC County one large County.

Is Santa Clara's Police Force is smaller than San Francisco's ..."Yes"
Did Mayor Jamie Matthews, of Santa Clara have to employ other Police Departments from surrounding communities to help Santa Clara out with security along with the CHP, plus some Volunteers at Levi's..."Yes"

All I was saying is maybe they should use a larger Police presence when the game is let out at Levi's in the Parking lots, and since a lot of Fans have to walk a ways to their vehicles, to distant Parking Lots, it would be helpful if more Police were out there?! Nobody said "anything" about SC being in the Boondocks, but what I do sense is an Inferiority Complex, which most folks from the South Bay have about San Francisco...That's cool, and understandable Marvin.

And no ...I'm not a resident of SF, and I am certainly not a 9er Fan, I just know some of the background isht about Levi's, and how it went down, just like everyone else who lives in the Bay. Difference is that I don't spin folks.

Which brings me to this, why are you telling these good folks on this website that the A's are desperate to come to San Jo for??? The MLB Commissioner said as much 2 weeks ago, that San Jose deal is done, over, & dead?! Its all caught up in the Anti-Trust Courts, and with the SF Giants claiming the South Bay is their territory, its over. The Owner of the A's is working closely on staying in Oaktown with Oakland's Mayor, for a Baseball only Stadium, when the Raiders leave for Los Angeles.

Inferiority complex. LOL.

Ya. OK.

As for your Police Presence comment, There IS a large police presence. Two guys from Australia got unruly with the fans in their section at Monday Nights game in the section next to mine and no less than 8 cops came down to remove them from their seats. EIGHT.

No matter how many cops you have, they can't be everywhere at once.

As for the A's, you are correct that it's all but dead...but why do you think they spent so much time trying to get it done in the first place!?! The only reason it didn't get done is that the Giants own the territorial rights and were not willing to part with them. Why? $$$$$$$$$

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":12suump8 said:
Niners fans or players could stab someone in the face and Marvin would make an excuse for it :roll:

Total BS.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":31dkgu2u said:
I finally had a chance to visit Levi's, as I was in town on business two weeks ago. . . I must admit it is a nice looking stadium, much like Stanford's clean open design (only much larger). It was only a preseason game, but there was missing the kinetic vibe that you get at a place like CenturyLink or at the old Candlestick. The Chargers fans in attendance were much louder than the pinot drinking Niner fans in attendance. I did really enjoy the in-seat service app that allows you to order beer, wine, and food to your seat. Everything I ordered arrived to my seat in under 5 min. I don't wear Seahawks gear to rival stadiums, so I didn't encounter any problems.

Tough to make any definitive statements based on a preseason game in which Season Ticket Holders are just trying to sell to get their money back, but you are correct that it has lacked the same energy that Candlestick had so far.

Monday Night tho was probably the best energy its ever had.

Marvin49

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3ipu9jx8 said:
Marvin49":3ipu9jx8 said:
There is a reason the 49ers moved near San Jose and why the A's have been desperately trying to move there.

What's stopping them, don't they know the way?

lol. I see what you did there. :D

Giants own the territorial rights and won't give them up.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":3942oy96 said:
SoulfishHawk":3942oy96 said:
Niners fans or players could stab someone in the face and Marvin would make an excuse for it :roll:

Total BS.

Trying to remember your reaction to Brooks breaking a bottle over someone's head. Not dissimilar from stabbing imo (I've personally seen people nearly killed by it).

How did you react to that one, Marv?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":1kc65ela said:
Marvin49":1kc65ela said:
SoulfishHawk":1kc65ela said:

Total BS.

Trying to remember your reaction to Brooks breaking a bottle over someone's head. Not dissimilar from stabbing imo (I've personally seen people nearly killed by it).

How did you react to that one, Marv?

If I recall correctly I think I thought it was fishy because the guy was extorting Brooks for money afterward.