49ers replace Whitner with Bethea

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Awesome. Bethea is an awesome player from a fantasy football perspective because he's a guy that racks up tackles because he's not all that good at covering receivers or jumping routes. He's a clean-up safety; someone makes initial contact on the ball carrier and he comes in for the .5 tackle.
Good news for the 'Hawks

drdiags

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2rkjec2q said:
drdiags":2rkjec2q said:
Yeah, Bethea was thought of pretty highly early in his career. I believe he started with the Colts and I remember D Farrar and others praising him coming out of a small school (Bethune Cookman?) I thought he was going to improve the Lions when he signed with them but sounds like he didn't do as well as I thought he would.

Bethea never went to the Lions. This is his first time not in a Colts uni.

He didn't have the greatest 2013, but the guy's got a couple of Pro Bowls under his belt, and I think he improves the 49ers secondary.

Yeah, I caught that. For some TBD reason I thought he was in Detroit the past year or so but I see he has spent his entire 8 yrs in the league with the Colts. Was just coming back to change my gaffe but figured one of you guys would catch me on my slip. Cannot slip anything past you Hawkeyes. Hee hee ..

4freakin9

Reaction score
I liked Whitners play last year but the penalties were getting ridiculous. Bathea - 0 penalties , Whitney - 8 penalties (5 unnecessary rouphness). Reid also had zero penalties btw. I gotta believe this played a major part of the ninners switch at safety.

lucky49

Reaction score
im guessing we draft a SS in round 2 and let them compete or something. then again, im almost always wrong about these things

NINEster

Reaction score
Naturally NET nation sees this is a major blow to the 49er secondary (just like Alex Smith going to a KC was a blow to the QB position). Only after the fact when they are gone, naturally. LOL.

You know whomever steps into fill Red Bryant's shoes is gonna be hall of fame!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
NINEster":v4j3pq11 said:
Naturally NET nation sees this is a major blow to the 49er secondary (just like Alex Smith going to a KC was a blow to the QB position). Only after the fact when they are gone, naturally. LOL.

Naturally, some of the Whiners spin this as a GM of the year-esque move for Baalke. Bethea is better against the run than Whitner and a sure tackler but you can't ignore this fact... 24 completions on 36 targets, 4 TDs. 100+ passer rating against. Whitner, 61.8. Overall PFF grade: Bethea, -2.9, Whitner, +12.7. That's not good no matter how you slice it.

Throwdown

Reaction score
NINEster":2eyfgm4i said:

No they won't, but Greg Scruggs can stop the run and get to the passer so ya know, maybe just maybe we got better who knows?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I just think the Niners figured that if they were going to pay someone to get beat deep by Doug Baldwin and run over by Lynch that they might as well pay less for it.

Nobody made late hits, with the rolling pin technique (where he lays out on the downed receiver sliding over the ball carrier's body) better than Shitner. The Niners are going to miss that, but Brooks has been known to do it too so there is that.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Throwdown":2br3gbhy said:
NINEster":2br3gbhy said:

No they won't, but Greg Scruggs can stop the run and get to the passer so ya know, maybe just maybe we got better who knows?

And towards the end of the season, PC started cutting Red's snaps in favor of Bennett

Marvin49

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3b5dq2f8 said:
NINEster":3b5dq2f8 said:

Naturally, some of the Whiners spin this as a GM of the year-esque move for Baalke. Bethea is better against the run than Whitner and a sure tackler but you can't ignore this fact... 24 completions on 36 targets, 4 TDs. 100+ passer rating against. Whitner, 61.8. Overall PFF grade: Bethea, -2.9, Whitner, +12.7. That's not good no matter how you slice it.

True, but this was probably Whitners best year ever in coverage. Thats always been his weakness.

You are comparing Whitners BEST year (and one I never saw him repeating...I am not his biggest fan and never have been) to Bethea playing in a defense that's not even close to comparable to the one he'll be with in SF.

I'm not going to call this an upgrade, but I don't think it's the downgrade some think it is. Niners will also be drafting someone.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Marvin49":3ol8ahzn said:
-The Glove-":3ol8ahzn said:
NINEster":3ol8ahzn said:

True, but this was probably Whitners best year ever in coverage. Thats always been his weakness.

You are comparing Whitners BEST year (and one I never saw him repeating...I am not his biggest fan and never have been) to Bethea playing in a defense that's not even close to comparable to the one he'll be with in SF.

I'm not going to call this an upgrade, but I don't think it's the downgrade some think it is. Niners will also be drafting someone.

I don't think it's much of a downgrade at all...especially with the benefit of the front 7, Bethea will now get. I just felt like responding likewise to Ninester.

Marvin49

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1ace7udi said:
Marvin49":1ace7udi said:
-The Glove-":1ace7udi said:
NINEster":1ace7udi said:

I don't think it's much of a downgrade at all...especially with the benefit of the front 7, Bethea will now get. I just felt like responding likewise to Ninester.

:D

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Shit...

cheers-o.gif

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
DavidSeven":26cmyj40 said:
$28M/4 years for Whitner. $26M/4 years for Bethea. Of course, a lot depends on structuring, but this move doesn't make a lot of sense on the surface. I guess they see something in Bethea that is missing to everyone else?
23M/4 years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... l/6337973/

Bethea insists he is ready for another ring after finalizing his new $23 million, four-year contract with the 49ers on Wednesday, becoming a key new presence in the secondary after Donte Whitner's departure to the Cleveland Browns.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10590 ... llion-deal

The San Francisco 49ers and safety Antoine Bethea have reached agreement on a $23 million deal, according to sources.

In any case, Whitner wasn't all that great. Solid, but not irreplaceable. Scheme is more important than players in the 49ers secondary. I know he "rated high" this year, but last year he was pretty bad, and those "ratings" are hardly worth a crap, except for positions with less subjectivity and for team data. I don't think Bathea is anything special, and Whitner is better, but the fact is Whitner has historically been a liability in coverage. We'll see how Bathea does, but Whitner wanted to go home to Cleveland and he isn't worth the contract he signed. Don't be surprised if the 49ers draft a SS.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":30yad7yl said:
DavidSeven":30yad7yl said:
$28M/4 years for Whitner. $26M/4 years for Bethea. Of course, a lot depends on structuring, but this move doesn't make a lot of sense on the surface. I guess they see something in Bethea that is missing to everyone else?
23M/4 years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... l/6337973/

Bethea insists he is ready for another ring after finalizing his new $23 million, four-year contract with the 49ers on Wednesday, becoming a key new presence in the secondary after Donte Whitner's departure to the Cleveland Browns.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10590 ... llion-deal

The San Francisco 49ers and safety Antoine Bethea have reached agreement on a $23 million deal, according to sources.

In any case, Whitner wasn't all that great. Solid, but not irreplaceable. Scheme is more important than players in the 49ers secondary. I know he "rated high" this year, but last year he was pretty bad, and those "ratings" are hardly worth a crap, except for positions with less subjectivity and for team data. I don't think Bathea is anything special, and Whitner is better, but the fact is Whitner has historically been a liability in coverage. We'll see how Bathea does, but Whitner wanted to go home to Cleveland and he isn't worth the contract he signed. Don't be surprised if the 49ers draft a SS.

Bethea, just a heads up you are spelling his name wrong.

I think you guys are gonna miss Whitner a lot. He is significantly better than Bethea. In the grand scheme of things it might not matter but Whitner set the tone with his hitting and was better in coverage.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
This is a HUGE fail by the Niners. What were they thinking? The QB of their secondary and one of the most ferocious hitters in the league is gone. Hallelujah.

They still have those great LBs, but their defense will not be the same in the secondary.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
And they replaced him with a soon-to-be, 30-year-old safety on the decline . . . lmfao.

lucky49

Reaction score
Lol, you guys probably never would have said anything positive about whitner while he was actually on the team

Marvin49

Reaction score
Just an update...

First its 4 years, 21 mil, 6.5 guaranteed. Whitner got 4 years, 28 mil, 13.5 guaranteed.

Second, he only counts 3 toward the cap this year, only 4.74 in 2015, and the rest of his guarantees can be voided after the second year.

Basically, he's a bridge to the next guy. The Niners will be drafting someone to groom.

For those of you who say stuff like "HUGE fail", you have no clue whats going on. You will learn soon though when all the players you have now on rookie contracts start looking for their big deals. You have to make tough choices and you have to continue to draft well. I remember the doom and gloom last year after the Niners lost Goldson. I wouldn't trade Reid for Goldson straight up now.

Latest posts