49ers replace Whitner with Bethea

JZ#1

Reaction score
I think it is way too early to talk about the results of the 2012 draft. Baalke's 2011 draft was a dud. 2010 was really good. 2012 is still to be decided. Eric Reid made the pro bowl and looks to be a good player. The rest is TBD. The verdict on Baalke is still out but he seems to be pretty good GM. Obviously, Schneider has proved a lot more nailing late round studs but other GM's and even Seattle shouldn't be hold to that standard since drafting THAT exceptional is very very hard to do. In order to succeed in late rounds you have to take chances on guys who are very likely not to work out. You don't spend late round picks on low ceiling, high floor guys. You take chances.

SF49r

Reaction score
JZ#1":3672fxa2 said:
I think it is way too early to talk about the results of the 2012 draft. Baalke's 2011 draft was a dud. 2010 was really good. 2012 is still to be decided. Eric Reid made the pro bowl and looks to be a good player. The rest is TBD. The verdict on Baalke is still out but he seems to be pretty good GM. Obviously, Schneider has proved a lot more nailing late round studs but other GM's and even Seattle shouldn't be hold to that standard since drafting THAT exceptional is very very hard to do. In order to succeed in late rounds you have to take chances on guys who are very likely not to work out. You don't spend late round picks on low ceiling, high floor guys. You take chances.

Baalkes's 2011 draft a dud? I wouldn't say that, they have 4 starters from that draft. Aldon Smith, CK, Culliver who actually played very well (except for the Superbowl), Kilgore who is probably going to be the starting center next season unless a FA or rookie outplays him, Kendall Hunter who is our 2nd-string RB, and Bruce Miller. 2012 draft yeah so far I'd say it was horrible but 2011 was actually a pretty good draft IMO.

JZ#1

Reaction score
I got 2012 and 2011 mixed up. Its too early to judge 2013's draft is the point I was getting at. 2011 was very good. 2012 was a dud. 2013 is TBD.

SF49r

Reaction score
JZ#1":n2nsy4qv said:
I got 2012 and 2011 mixed up. Its too early to judge 2013's draft is the point I was getting at. 2011 was very good. 2012 was a dud. 2013 is TBD.
Ah gotcha. But yeah 2012 wasn't good at all. So far 2013 has been good, Reid has been great VM has been meh but I have really been impressed by his blocking. Patton is promising but he wasn't used a lot last year BJ was great in preseason but he's with you guys now still wondering why we let him go and we'll see what happens with lattimore, dial, and tank. So I'm with you on that one for 2013.

NINEster

Reaction score
Marvin49":27vackmk said:
rideaducati":27vackmk said:
Three starters in three drafts since McLoughan left...yes, that is ludicrous.

Yeah, Baalke had a bad 2012. AJ Jenkins was a bad pick. Its not like McCloughan didn't miss either. Anyone remember Kentwan Balmer?

Seattle forums are the only place I see this "Baalke sucks" drivel. It's pushed basically from the rivalry and from teh fact that McCloughan is in the Seattle organization now so you want to in some way take credit for the good players on the roster. Just admit that and lets be done with it.

It may take some more years to know how good Baalke really is, but I'd say he's done pretty well so far. Aldon, Bowman, Kaepernick is nothing to be sneezed at. Even hitting a high pick is no guarantee. There are players picked ahead of Eric Reid who have not done as well.

BTW, I have a different perspective on Schneider. I don't know if he's the best GM in the NFL.......I think as far as GM/HC combos go for bringing in personnel, the Seahawks were the best in the league the last two seasons.

But put Schneider on a number of different elite teams and I doubt he does any better than the big names in the league. Carroll evaluates and acquires talent a lot different from most other coaches. For his schemes, a 3rd round guy might be better than a 1st round guy. You have the best secondary in the league with just *1* first round pick, and a bunch of 5ths, a UFA that just left to the Patriots.

Then the front 7 benefits a ton from a lot of man coverage.

It's impressive and it needs credit, but that has to go a lot to Carroll. Schneider should get credit for being flexible and making it happen.

Seahawks fans don't want to hear it, but in the NFL, there's no ONE person that does anything 1000 times better than anyone else. There's no head coach who is a grandmaster playing amongst experts (chess). There's no GM/scouting department that is head and shoulders above the rest. Same with working the salary cap, and position coaches.

We'll see what the future holds.

And Marvin is right....McCloughan probably was invisible to Hawks fans until he joined their organization. Same goes for Mike Holmgren, Jim Mora Jr., Carroll, Ken Norton Jr., etc.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
NINEster":1mu5huv4 said:
Marvin49":1mu5huv4 said:
rideaducati":1mu5huv4 said:
Three starters in three drafts since McLoughan left...yes, that is ludicrous.

Yeah, Baalke had a bad 2012. AJ Jenkins was a bad pick. Its not like McCloughan didn't miss either. Anyone remember Kentwan Balmer?

Seattle forums are the only place I see this "Baalke sucks" drivel. It's pushed basically from the rivalry and from teh fact that McCloughan is in the Seattle organization now so you want to in some way take credit for the good players on the roster. Just admit that and lets be done with it.

But put Schneider on a number of different elite teams and I doubt he does any better than the big names in the league. Carroll evaluates and acquires talent a lot different from most other coaches. For his schemes, a 3rd round guy might be better than a 1st round guy. You have the best secondary in the league with just *1* first round pick, and a bunch of 5ths, a UFA that just left to the Patriots.

Then the front 7 benefits a ton from a lot of man coverage.

It's impressive and it needs credit, but that has to go a lot to Carroll. Schneider should get credit for being flexible and making it happen.

And Marvin is right....McCloughan probably was invisible to Hawks fans until he joined their organization. Same goes for Mike Holmgren, Jim Mora Jr., Carroll, Ken Norton Jr., etc.

Your where they are drafted argument falls apart a little bit in that Sherman & Chancellor were 5th rounders could start for any team in the league. They are both at the top of the game. It's not like the scheme turned them into great players or anything. We see Chancellor all the time come up and blow up Offensive Lineman as a safety. As a matter of fact Ronnie Lott said that Kenny Easley is the only safety he will say that is better than him and that Chancellor is well on his way to being at that level. Did you see that play in the Super Bowl where he was covering the TE on the seem route and switched and knocked the ball away from a wide open Welker? I don't need to tell you how good Sherman is. For Schneider and Carroll to identify that sort of talent and draft them where they did, they should be given credit and while I don't think you slammed them, you incorrectly pointed out that they seem to be sceme created.

Not only that but Schneider was on Wilson from the start, Pete gives him total credit for identifying the talent.

I think most Seahawks fan knew who Holmgren (Super Bowl winner), Mora (grew up in WA, played for UW, was promoted from secondary coach to head coach), Carroll (coached at USC and won national titles), and Ken Norton Jr. (Won 3 Super Bowls in a row, coached with Pete at USC) were before they joined our organization