49ers replace Whitner with Bethea

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":36l1ddnz said:
Marvin49":36l1ddnz said:
You have to make tough choices and you have to continue to draft well.
Yeah, we're all terrified about our front office's drafting acumen. :)

You should be. Only in Seahawks world is Baalke a bad talent evaluator.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":2srxj97p said:
Wait. Who has said Baalke is a bad talent evaluator around here? Also, if someone did say it, I'm guessing they're like the ONLY one so your implication that it's a commonly held belief by many around here is incorrect.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":tmoo7ce9 said:
Marvin49":tmoo7ce9 said:
Wait. Who has said Baalke is a bad talent evaluator around here? Also, if someone did say it, I'm guessing they're like the ONLY one so your implication that it's a commonly held belief by many around here is incorrect.

original

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":e8z4n8f2 said:
Marvin49":e8z4n8f2 said:
You have to make tough choices and you have to continue to draft well.
Yeah, we're all terrified about our front office's drafting acumen. :)

OOOOOHHHHHHH

Sorry. LOL.

I mistook the work "our" for the word "your".

My bad.

I wouldn't be worried about Schneider either. My only point was that you will have to let guys go that you want to keep, just as the 49ers just did with Whitner and did last year with Goldson. You can't pay them all.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Liking this signing more as more details have come out.

It's essentially a 2 year contract worth 7.75 million for those two years, with the majority of the money tied up in 53 man and 46 man roster bonuses.

So, I'd expect the 9ers to still draft a safety in the first couple rounds, but it gives them the wiggle room to not need to this year if things don't fall that way, and to not start the drafted player out of the box.

When the money seemed higher I was a bit concerned and who knows how he'll turn out, but now that more details have emerged this is EXACTLY the type of move I was hoping the team would make at the safety position.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I don't know if the whiners got better or not, but I do know that they got older. Diminishing returns coming soon.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":jug21hbo said:
RolandDeschain":jug21hbo said:
Marvin49":jug21hbo said:

original

I said it. And I will continue to say it. Baalke is still living off the draft where he used McLoughan's draft board and has done next to nothing since.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":1htklh25 said:
Marvin49":1htklh25 said:
RolandDeschain":1htklh25 said:
Marvin49":1htklh25 said:

original

I said it. And I will continue to say it. Baalke is still living off the draft where he used McLoughan's draft board and has done next to nothing since.

SMH.

Ludicrous.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Three starters in three drafts since McLoughan left...yes, that is ludicrous.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":34lq1im1 said:

SMH.

First off your premise is lame. Baalke made the picks. He was the one making the trades and pulling the trigger. Scot was fired for being drunk and not showing up to meetings, but now I'm supposed to believe that Baalke deserves no credit for the 2010 draft and Scot gets all the credit even though Baalke worked hand in hand with him all along AND ran the draft on draft day.

Right.

Second, FOUR starters from the draft from 2011-2013 RIGHT NOW. Aldon, Kap, Miller and Reid. That isn't because they didn't take good players. Its because they HAD good players. McCloughan drafted some good players in Frank, Vernon, Patrick, Crab and Staley. Baalke has done very well in his absense.

BTW, Kilgore will start at Center. He didn't before because they had Goodwin. Culliver may start this year. He didn't before because they had Rogers and Cully got hurt. They still have SEVERAL players from last year who may start in the future but are sitting behind really good vets (Carradine behind Justin, Lattimore behind Gore and Lemonier behind Aldon).

Oh yeah...GMs work Free Agnecy too. WHY haven't some of those picks seen the field? That would be because Baalke found value free agents that played WELL (Jonathan Goodwin, Donte Whitner, Carlos Rogers, Glenn Dorsey). Baalke also made the trade for Boldin who had almost 1200 yards last year, best in SF since a guy named Terrell Owens.

Yeah, Baalke had a bad 2012. AJ Jenkins was a bad pick. Its not like McCloughan didn't miss either. Anyone remember Kentwan Balmer?

Seattle forums are the only place I see this "Baalke sucks" drivel. It's pushed basically from the rivalry and from teh fact that McCloughan is in the Seattle organization now so you want to in some way take credit for the good players on the roster. Just admit that and lets be done with it.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Careful guys, nobody wants to see Angry Marvin...

d3e3c8b4ada31239754fe3f6cd62d3f6_330.jpg

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":31wiwpbv said:
rideaducati":31wiwpbv said:

SMH.

First off your premise is lame. Baalke made the picks. He was the one making the trades and pulling the trigger. Scot was fired for being drunk and not showing up to meetings, but now I'm supposed to believe that Baalke deserves no credit for the 2010 draft and Scot gets all the credit even though Baalke worked hand in hand with him all along AND ran the draft on draft day.

Right.

Second, FOUR starters from the draft from 2011-2013 RIGHT NOW. Aldon, Kap, Miller and Reid. That isn't because they didn't take good players. Its because they HAD good players. McCloughan drafted some good players in Frank, Vernon, Patrick, Crab and Staley. Baalke has done very well in his absense.

BTW, Kilgore will start at Center. He didn't before because they had Goodwin. Culliver may start this year. He didn't before because they had Rogers and Cully got hurt. They still have SEVERAL players from last year who may start in the future but are sitting behind really good vets (Carradine behind Justin, Lattimore behind Gore and Lemonier behind Aldon).

Oh yeah...GMs work Free Agnecy too. WHY haven't some of those picks seen the field? That would be because Baalke found value free agents that played WELL (Jonathan Goodwin, Donte Whitner, Carlos Rogers, Glenn Dorsey). Baalke also made the trade for Boldin who had almost 1200 yards last year, best in SF since a guy named Terrell Owens.

Yeah, Baalke had a bad 2012. AJ Jenkins was a bad pick. Its not like McCloughan didn't miss either. Anyone remember Kentwan Balmer?

Seattle forums are the only place I see this "Baalke sucks" drivel. It's pushed basically from the rivalry and from teh fact that McCloughan is in the Seattle organization now so you want to in some way take credit for the good players on the roster. Just admit that and lets be done with it.

Oops, FOUR starters... We'll see how the new starters do this year, I doubt they play as well as the players they will be replacing. As far as the "value" free agents, they look to me to all have been REALLY high draft picks by other teams, which makes it look even more like Baalke using OTHERS for his scouting. The best two are now gone and will be replaced, one by yet another free agent and the other with, again, a free agent. Seems to me that Baalke is using other teams to evaluate talent. Get back to me when Baalke makes a pick outside of the top two rounds that actually amounts to anything, so far, I don't see one.

As far as making trades and accumulating draft picks, I think he is of the mind that he has a better chance at FINALLY hitting on some draft picks if he has more picks.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":1dnol5wy said:
Marvin49":1dnol5wy said:
rideaducati":1dnol5wy said:

SMH.

Right.

Oops, FOUR starters... We'll see how the new starters do this year, I doubt they play as well as the players they will be replacing. As far as the "value" free agents, they look to me to all have been REALLY high draft picks by other teams, which makes it look even more like Baalke using OTHERS for his scouting. The best two are now gone and will be replaced, one by yet another free agent and the other with, again, a free agent. Seems to me that Baalke is using other teams to evaluate talent. Get back to me when Baalke makes a pick outside of the top two rounds that actually amounts to anything, so far, I don't see one.

As far as making trades and accumulating draft picks, I think he is of the mind that he has a better chance at FINALLY hitting on some draft picks if he has more picks.

...that might be the single dumbest thing I've ever read in a forum.

I don't even know how to respond to that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":mpzv8atm said:
Careful guys, nobody wants to see Angry Marvin...

d3e3c8b4ada31239754fe3f6cd62d3f6_330.jpg

LOL. No worries.

This dude just always posts lame crap like that and decided to call him on it. I'm wasting my time though...he'll no doubt make another lame arguement in response.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":224u4ecb said:
rideaducati":224u4ecb said:
Marvin49":224u4ecb said:
rideaducati":224u4ecb said:

SMH.

Right.

...that might be the single dumbest thing I've ever read in a forum.

I don't even know how to respond to that.

You OBVIOUSLY don't hang out on niner forums.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Marvin take off your rose colored glasses. It's pretty simple really, Baalke has not done well in drafts on his own. There is no arguing that. Take the 10 draft out and what has he done? You are trying to call Scott a drunk yet you have zero evidence of it and attempting to glorify Baalke.

I'll ignore the drunk part if you ignore the 2010 draft. Also those guys your future starters are waiting behind are getting very long in the tooth. They are ripe for replacement but you know damn well you don't want to go into next season without Gore or Cowboy.