Akeem King first team reps at LCB

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
I'm assuming this is so Akeem can get most of the reps and play more in this upcoming preseason game.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Proly not. He was our highest rated defender last game

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1161370849431236608[/tweet]

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
If Akeem beats out Griffin. So be it. May the best man prevail. That’s competition and I love it.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Could mean a couple of things, but one things for sure indicates competition is alive and well at the Seahawks camp which is good to see

hawksfan35

Reaction score
Hopefully this can light a fire under Griffin, he is just going to get passed up if he doesn't sharpen some things up! I.E. deep balls

HawkerD

Reaction score
hawksfan35":1altwznt said:
Hopefully this can light a fire under Griffin, he is just going to get passed up if he doesn't sharpen some things up! I.E. deep balls
Maybe SG is maxed out.? light came on but it was only a 40 watts. It happens. His regression last year was not encouraging.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Griffin played pretty well in the preseason game I thought. But so did King so it may be we have a bit of a competition going on that no one expected.

He's still not on the bubble like his brother but Shaquill needs to play at the top of his game to hold King off.

Rather have seen Griffin impress than get relegated to second team since King is not really a high ceiling guy. More of a high effort guy.

Maybe instead of shoring up the safety position where we seem to have an abundance of similar skilled guys, we should have grabbed some more corners in the draft.

sutz

Reaction score
I dont' read much into who gets snaps in practice during camp (even though it is officiall "over" ). They do a lot of rotations and moving guys around, if for no other reason than to make sure they have some to cover the spot who has a little familiarity with it in emergencies.

I chalk Griff's "regression" more onto switching sides in his 2d season, thereby reverting him to near rookie status. Oh, and there's some folks who I assume are comparing him to Sherman over his career, which is a bit unfair IMHO. I expect much better play this year than last. He came in with a pretty good attitude, listing the things he wanted to improve on, including his basic attitude.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
These measurables do no equate to a high effort guy. Small school with a longer development, yes, but not high effort (insinuating lack of talent).

40-yard dash: 4.41 seconds
Vertical jump: 37 1/2 inches
Broad jump: 10 feet, 2 inches
Short shuttle: 4.38 seconds
3-cone: 7.08 seconds
Bench: 20 reps of 225 pounds

Griffin's measurables are better, yes (elite actually), but proved prone to many mental mistakes in coverage and even tackling issues.

40 YARD DASH: 4.38 SEC
BENCH PRESS: 17 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 38.5 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 132.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 6.87 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.14 SEC
60 YARD SHUTTLE: 11.62 SEC

knownone

Reaction score
Who plays the slot if Akeem is starting outside? Griffin is a train wreck in space.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
knownone":1th5c7ee said:
Who plays the slot if Akeem is starting outside? Griffin is a train wreck in space.
Wouldn't be surprised if it's Taylor with Amadi being a rare dime back that's pseudo dime/3rd safety in more extreme passing situations.

It is odd that Griffin isn't good in space given his 3 cone, but if you watch him, he plays upright with little bend so you can kind of see why. It's entirely possible that he plays with better bend this year after dropping 10 pounds too though.

Either way, I don't see a lot to get hung up on here like some are (not that you are). Lots of options and opportunity at multiple spots and that's good for the team overall. Especially given that there's an incumbent that has to fight for it too.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Ugo is interesting as all hell. On the surface, you look at the measurables and it's kind of meh, yeah he's got a chance to make the team.

However, if there's a kid out there that shows a similar kind of natural "I know wtf you're doing before you do it" type of thing that Kam had then he might just have that. I can't tell you how many times Kam would tell over at teammates just to watch them kill a play or just know to be at the right spot. Formation recognition, live memory recall, and just general football IQ was off the charts.

Ugo shows a little bit of that and everyone benefits from that beyond just a man doing his job. That's a big leap after just one game, but maybe...

Tical21

Reaction score
I think King has essentially been changed from possible nickel to outside. Reed projects better inside. I’m not sure either a Griffin or King emerge as good players but i like that there is at least some competition for Shaquill. Also liked that he lost weight.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This tells me King is going to play a LOT at outside corner Sunday, and Pete wants him to run with the 1's........hey that rhymed.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
IMHO, we could have beaten the Cowboys in that playoff game last season if Griffin had played better. I rewatched that game recently and Griffin was very bad. So, if this is a true competition I personally wouldnt be mad if Griffin becomes a backup!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":2xc7q9tg said:
IMHO, we could have beaten the Cowboys in that playoff game last season if Griffin had played better. I rewatched that game recently and Griffin was very bad. So, if this is a true competition I personally wouldnt be mad if Griffin becomes a backup!

Both Griffin and Flowers have looked good so far this camp and the first pre-season game.............so I'm not quite ready to write him off.

Other than QB and maybe LT, starting CB might be the hardest position to play in the NFL. Especially now with all the rules favoring the offense. So when you have a chance to develop good to great starting corners, you give them every chance you can for them to succeed.

I think Griffin will be alright.

ivotuk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2f12nk8z said:
Ugo is interesting as all hell. On the surface, you look at the measurables and it's kind of meh, yeah he's got a chance to make the team.

However, if there's a kid out there that shows a similar kind of natural "I know wtf you're doing before you do it" type of thing that Kam had then he might just have that. I can't tell you how many times Kam would tell over at teammates just to watch them kill a play or just know to be at the right spot. Formation recognition, live memory recall, and just general football IQ was off the charts.

Ugo shows a little bit of that and everyone benefits from that beyond just a man doing his job. That's a big leap after just one game, but maybe...

Watching Ugo's highlights at Oregon, he didn't impress me at first. Looked like he tried to avoid hits/contact, and like he was hesitant, but then ended up in the right spot.

Watching him now, completely different opinion of him. He's got the goods. Kind of like Antoine Winfield level of talent. It's strange how some players don't look the part, but they get the job done. I think that's why the draft can be such a crap shoot, and why John Schneider is so valuable to this team.

Latest posts