Aldon Smith arrested for DUI this morning--UPDATE

Popeyejones

Reaction score
As for Aldon and Harbaugh playing him this weekend, I think he should have sat him down this weekend, but only for a single reason:

He should sit Aldon FOR Aldon, who needs to get his sh!t together and needs to get the message that he's pissing his career away. That's it. I think Harbaugh has a responsibility to Aldon as a person to introduce his own repercussions and not wait for the NFLs repercussions, which will be coming down the line.

Despite that (and I'm quite serious in believing he should have sat him down), bad reasons that are given IMO:

1) Fans who feign as if they're naive rubes and have suddenly stumbled upon the fact that in every organization (sport or otherwise) star players are treated differently than scrubs. Welcome to the world my new born foals! Sincerely, playing stupid opens one up to being treated as if they're stupid, and I think it's generally ill-advised. I'd say the same thing regardless of the star player or the team, be it Aldon, Lynch (who I love), Favre (who I hate), or otherwise.

2) People who take Harbaugh's comments about how 1) you don't know if a player or agent is telling the truth when the claim Adderal (which is a statement of fact, and something every fan everywhere knows) and 2) that you don't want players to get busted for PEDs because it opens up the door for knee-jerk 'their winning because they're cheating" nonsense (which is something I'd be shocked if Carroll didn't agree with too) and saying that it's hypocritical to play Aldon because of these statements. Taking PEDs to increase your performance on the field != driving drunk, and that should be absolutely obvious to anyone. Even if it did, which it unequviocally does not, "you want to be above reproach" (which Harbaugh said) is wildly different from claiming to be above reproach (which of course he never said).

Cartire

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3sfmga29 said:
As for Aldon and Harbaugh playing him this weekend, I think he should have sat him down this weekend, but only for a single reason:

He should sit Aldon FOR Aldon, who needs to get his sh!t together and needs to get the message that he's pissing his career away. That's it. I think Harbaugh has a responsibility to Aldon as a person to introduce his own repercussions and not wait for the NFLs repercussions, which will be coming down the line.

Despite that (and I'm quite serious in believing he should have sat him down), bad reasons that are given IMO:

1) Fans who feign as if they're naive rubes and have suddenly stumbled upon the fact that in every organization (sport or otherwise) star players are treated differently than scrubs. Welcome to the world my new born foals! Sincerely, playing stupid opens one up to being treated as if they're stupid, and I think it's generally ill-advised. I'd say the same thing regardless of the star player or the team, be it Aldon, Lynch (who I love), Favre (who I hate), or otherwise.

2) People who take Harbaugh's comments about how 1) you don't know if a player or agent is telling the truth when the claim Adderal (which is a statement of fact, and something every fan everywhere knows) and 2) that you don't want players to get busted for PEDs because it opens up the door for knee-jerk 'their winning because they're cheating" nonsense (which is something I'd be shocked if Carroll didn't agree with too) and saying that it's hypocritical to play Aldon because of these statements. Taking PEDs to increase your performance on the field != driving drunk, and that should be absolutely obvious to anyone. Even if it did, which it unequviocally does not, "you want to be above reproach" (which Harbaugh said) is wildly different from claiming to be above reproach (which of course he never said).

Its hypocritical because Harbaugh benched Dobson last year for the same thing. And dont give me the Star Player excuse, as if that makes it OK. Rather or not if it happens, doesnt make it right, and I think WE ALL can agree on that.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Vandelay":22hp0vpg said:
Lynch's circumstances much different! ha! Gun charges, runs over a woman. Hit an run i might add. DUI,big deal it was last fall, it just show that he has never learned. Was piece of sh** in Buffalo, he is the same here. Was at Cal as well. He is a great great player but dont act like you dont employ morons. For god sakes this is the organization that employed a serial rapist in Jeremy Stevens for years!

I agree with you that Jeremy Stevens was a rapist and a bad choice to draft by Holmgren. Do you agree with me that Crabtree and Cox (who are both currently on your roster) are also rapists? Keep in mind we are talking about zero convictions and unlike Cox, Stevens DNA was not found inside his victim.

You also cannot deny that Lynch earned a bad reputation in Buffalo but he has been here as a team leader for 3 years now and other than the DUI has been an example of a good team player and person. We would be chastising Lynch much more if not for the circumstances surrounding his arrest. He blew right at the legal limit in the off season coming from a charity even he was hosting. That is a far cry from 2 DUI's in two years with one coming on a work night in the season and finding pills and weed in the car and other events like gun shots and stabbings. Do you really believe these are comparable?

Maybe you aren't aware that OJ Simpson was a Niner. Keep that in mind before you try and chastise us for at one time having Jeremy Stevens.

Have a great day, I'm off to the game.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
You keep bringing up that "above reproach" comment as if everyone else is taking it the wrong way but you. Your own local media blasted him for that comment as well as being hypocritical.

Cartire

Reaction score
largenutz":3n0ladns said:
Jay glazer just reported aldon smith could be on the way to rehab this week.

I hate the rehab excuse so much. Im not sayin he doesnt need it, but people use it as an means to an end. Instead of just punishing the guy in a way that will actually make him change his habits, they give him the "not his fault" excuse, as if he needs rehab before he can change.

He needs to be suspended indefinitely without pay during the rehab if they want it to actually work.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's hilarious that they're talking about putting him in rehab, but not until AFTER he plays in a game for them. Great priorities there.

hawker84

Reaction score
just goes to show more so than ever, Harbaugh is a hypocritical piece of crap douchebag.. talks smack about our players on national radio, but plays a player right after getting a dui, and pot charges brought up against him. He is basically condoning these type of actions not sitting him. it's more important to win games than set an example, and do the right thing. good on you hardouche, keep up the classy work...

but we're going to send him to rehab for help, ok when's he going.

uh, right after the game on sunday... "douche"

chris98251

Reaction score
Well remember when these same 49ers were coming here and throwing darts at us about Browner, Sherman, Irvin but are now justifying that things are undercontrol for a guy that has parties where rapes and shootings happens and drugs and Alcohal abuse happening and then DUI'S.

Adderal while not prescribed can be a deemed a enhnacement to concentration but those who are prescribed are not I suppose it's a far cry from shooting at people and endangering others and then the occational party or date rapes at a party house.

49ers scales must be calibrated differently. While none of these situations has come to pass and I mean Lynch, Jeremy Stevens, Smith with a conviction as of yet repetitive behavior would in world opinion be looked at as a problem. Stars with butt loads of money to get a good lawyer to defer and extend cases etc do get a different treatment then guys that work 9 to 5. Regardless how they are found the media documents situations and events that put a lot of these guys in those situations continually. Pac Man Jones is a good example.

So the lifestyle they choose is an indication of their mentality if you ask me, Hernandez being the biggest example of the extreme.

Laloosh

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ws5ezeu said:
Archer":1ws5ezeu said:
RE: Marvin49 and/or others leaving the board... I find it not at all coincidental that they are leaving after the Seahawks beatdown. Using the Aldon fuckup and "higher ground" as an excuse is hilarious. They've been annoying us since last year, the offseason on this board was almost unbearable, and suddenly they are above reproach. Not a loss.

They honestly believed Kaepernick's performance here last December was just because it was his first time in our house with the louder noise. Facing reality can really suck. :)

Lol, they're asking you questions in the DB thread over there (and mods commenting/being snarky) AFTER they banned you. Next they'll be saying "see, he won't respond because he knows he's wrong".

I actually love that website. Good entertainment value.

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawker84":29bl9q5z said:
just goes to show more so than ever, Harbaugh is a hypocritical piece of crap douchebag.. talks smack about our players on national radio, but plays a player right after getting a dui, and pot charges brought up against him. He is basically condoning these type of actions not sitting him. it's more important to win games than set an example, and do the right thing. good on you hardouche, keep up the classy work...

but we're going to send him to rehab for help, ok when's he going.

uh, right after the game on sunday... "douche"

"Have Jim Harbaugh coach your kids" ~ NFL network.

Why not:
"Have Aldon Smith host your wedding party" or "Have Charlie Manson clean your pool"?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Cartire":1k5zgsiz said:
Its hypocritical because Harbaugh benched Dobson last year for the same thing. And dont give me the Star Player excuse, as if that makes it OK. Rather or not if it happens, doesnt make it right, and I think WE ALL can agree on that.

The whole first part of my post was about how I was disappointed Aldon wasn't sat down and thought he should have been sat down. What in the world would I have to make an excuse about? :?

nategreat

Reaction score
I don't think this bit of information deserves it's own thread (ANOTHER Aldon Smith thread) so I'm posting it here.

But Matt Maiocco reports:

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 12m
Aldon Smith's locker is completely empty -- the only such locker in the 49ers' locker room.

Hmmmmmmm......

nategreat

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure it's just rehab. But it wouldn't surprise me if it were just a move to help save face for both him and the team. I'd be surprised if he even misses a game because of it. Hopefully I'm wrong though, and it's a legitimate attempt @ getting his life back on track. Nobody likes to see anyone spiral down like he has. I hope he can turn things around in his life.

EDIT: Oh I guess he's out Thursday. Nice.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Friend just texted me saying Aldon's suspended indefinitely. Nobody knows if it's the team or the league handing it out, though.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Really glad to hear he's going to inpatient. Should have happened yesterday.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":2n164pkz said:
Lol, they're asking you questions in the DB thread over there (and mods commenting/being snarky) AFTER they banned you. Next they'll be saying "see, he won't respond because he knows he's wrong".

I actually love that website. Good entertainment value.

You should go set 'em straight. Also, that RolandDes2chainz guy you replied to in their game day thread is not me, just FYI.