Geno Smith was arrested for DUI (Old Thread)

RiverDog

Reaction score
Bullshit for anyone and everyone. He was well below the legal limits for both THC and alcohol. He threw a fit because he knew he was sober and had every right to be pissed off. The huge backlog in obtaining the evidence by the state was the reason for the delay
I disagree. Geno was driving 94 mph at night and on an urban freeway. That right there is going to raise suspicions. Even though he apparently was under the legal limit, he did test positive for alcohol, which confirms that the cop had a reasonable cause to have hauled him in.

You also have to consider that due to his resistance to the test, there was a time delay between the time he was pulled over and the time his blood sample was taken. The human body burns alcohol at a rate of about .016 per hour. Due to the differences in how our bodies process alcohol, they can't factor the burn rate into the result.

Had it happened 40 years ago, the cop might not have arrested him. But police departments and officers have been sued because they let a suspect go only for them to subsequently be involved in a fatal accident. Nowadays, if there's even a hint of alcohol, they're hauling you in and let their superiors sort it out. I can't see anything that the cop did wrong.

BASF

Reaction score
I disagree. Geno was driving 94 mph at night and on an urban freeway. That right there is going to raise suspicions. Even though he apparently was under the legal limit, he did test positive for alcohol, which confirms that the cop had a reasonable cause to have hauled him in.

You also have to consider that due to his resistance to the test, there was a time delay between the time he was pulled over and the time his blood sample was taken. The human body burns alcohol at a rate of about .016 per hour. Due to the differences in how our bodies process alcohol, they can't factor the burn rate into the result.

Had it happened 40 years ago, the cop might not have arrested him. But police departments and officers have been sued because they let a suspect go only for them to subsequently be involved in a fatal accident. Nowadays, if there's even a hint of alcohol, they're hauling you in and let their superiors sort it out. I can't see anything that the cop did wrong.
Allegedly did these things. Cop may have lied.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score

It was an egregiously poor job by the cop. Geno should’ve never been arrested and the evidence proved it. Just glad we can put it behind us and focus on a 12 win season

RiverDog

Reaction score
Allegedly did these things. Cop may have lied.
I seriously doubt that he could have lied about the 94mph speed. I'm not sure what his motivation would have been. There's a chance that he could have made a mistake and recorded the wrong car, but a car going 94 mph at 2am with little or no traffic is pretty easily to isolate.

I also wonder why Geno was so reluctant to take the test. If it's me and I think I can beat it, I'd be demanding to take one. Had he taken the breath test and passed it, they most likely would have released him with nothing more than a speeding ticket.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
It was an egregiously poor job by the cop. Geno should’ve never been arrested and the evidence proved it. Just glad we can put it behind us and focus on a 12 win season
The evidence proved the exact opposite. If Geno registered at all, which it apparently did, then the cop was fully justified in arresting him. Even if he tested completely negative, it doesn't necessarily mean that the cop acted inappropriately.

Believe me, cops are told to error on the side of safety, that if there's the slightest doubt, they are to arrest them and take them to the station. They can always release them and not file charges. Cops can legally detain a suspect for as long as 72 hours without filing charges.

I'm not sure that it's quite behind us just yet. The league can still suspend him.

Last edited:

rcaido

Reaction score
Not only was he excessive speeding, he was drinking and also under influence of marijuana and still got behind the wheel. That's all kind of stupid and put people lives at risk. NFL provides so many resources to prevent themselves in getting in trouble. That include Safe Ride Program. This was beyond stupid, i mean this happened right after the Ruggs drinking and speeding that killed a woman.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Not only was he excessive speeding, he was drinking and also under influence of marijuana and still got behind the wheel. That's all kind of stupid and put people lives at risk. NFL provides so many resources to prevent themselves in getting in trouble. That include Safe Ride Program. This was beyond stupid, i mean this happened right after the Ruggs drinking and speeding that killed a woman.
Agreed. It was a bad judgment/decision on Geno's part. I'm sure he'd be the first to say it. Hopefully he has learned from this. Can't take it back but he can definitely ensure that it doesn't happen again.

I believe there will be a penalty from the NFL. They only wait to see if there are charges and let the process work it out before assessing any penalty. Just because he's exonerated from any criminal charges doesn't mean he's escaped the NFL suspension system. What he did is more severe than failing a piss test and players get suspended for that.

I found this information on NFL suspension process - https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...sing-discipline-under-personal-conduct-policy

Last edited:

Donn2390

Reaction score
Now that he has been vindicated, he can send the arresting officers a couple of tickets for some good home game seats and give them a tour of the facilities. Love is where it's at.... Let's play football..!!

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Oh c'mon, some of you totally intimated that the officer for Jalen Carter's situation was totally manipulating the reports in Carter's favor, but now have no questions about this. Just wow.
I must have missed that. Has any of the folk who
totally intimated that the officer for Jalen Carter's situation was totally manipulating the reports in Carter's favor
replied to this updated thread? Furthermore, cops can/have/will definitely do some shady shite, but, can they manipulate the results of a BAC blood draw? If so, that's bigger news than this Geno situation.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He was going nowhere near the speed Ruggs was, on a road where it'd be much more reasonable (not ideal) to be going under 100 in a fast lane, while at a BAC that's perfectly legal. Comparing this to the Ruggs situation, who was going Nascar speeds while absolutely LOADED, is asinine as hell. S a l t y.

sc85sis

Reaction score
He was going nowhere near the speed Ruggs was, on a road where it'd be much more reasonable (not ideal) to be going under 100 in a fast lane, while at a BAC that's perfectly legal. Comparing this to the Ruggs situation, who was going Nascar speeds while absolutely LOADED, is asinine as hell. S a l t y.
Yeah, Ruggs was seriously drunk, hit the car at 120 mph AFTER jamming on the brakes, and it all happened on local streets, not a freeway.

Don’t get me wrong, Geno was being stupidly irresponsible driving that fast, and he should have been cited for it. But it’s nothing like the Ruggs case.

JPatera76

Reaction score
.. why is this now being brought up? ... did i miss something ?

BASF

Reaction score
I must have missed that. Has any of the folk who

replied to this updated thread? Furthermore, cops can/have/will definitely do some shady shite, but, can they manipulate the results of a BAC blood draw? If so, that's bigger news than this Geno situation.
Two people have. One was consistent with their stance on Carter's situation. The other was not. As far as manipulate the blood draw, I would think not, but one never knows. I know several people who have had police exaggerate their actions because for whatever reason the police had a problem with them.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yeah, Ruggs was seriously drunk, hit the car at 120 mph AFTER jamming on the brakes, and it all happened on local streets, not a freeway.

Don’t get me wrong, Geno was being stupidly irresponsible driving that fast, and he should have been cited for it. But it’s nothing like the Ruggs case.
I agree, it's apples and oranges comparing Geno's incident with Ruggs. But it still doesn't make what Geno did right. Who knows what Geno's top speed was. 94 mph was literally a snapshot, a moment in time.

Latest posts