Anyone miss Maxwell yet?

RussB

Reaction score
Before the season i made a thread about how the secondary would be worse without him. Alot of posters said there would be no difference and some even said that cary would be better. Halfway into the season and it shows how much worse cary really is and how good b max was in the LOB. Instead of giving wagner, cary, and jimmy g these big contracts, they should have given one to bmax.

marko358

Reaction score
Not sure what the point of this is. He signed a $75 billion contract with Philly that we couldn't match.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Mind providing some examples of plays that Williams screwed up this week that Maxwell would not?

ivotuk

Reaction score
While you're at it, let's review the times this year Byron got burned for touchdowns.

imaho, they are fairly close in actual performance, while saving the Seahawks about 4 million per year.

All that said, I miss Byron Maxwell's interviews, he was an interesting and funny guy. :D

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Laloosh":1lvzs31y said:
Mind providing some examples of plays that Williams screwed up this week that Maxwell would not?
Maxwell would get burned now and then. Cary seems like he gets burned every time he is targeted, maxwell created turnovers and so far cary doesnt . Also maxwell actually jumped routes and got deflections. Havent seem cary jump a route all season. Hes worse.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I miss the old Sherman, Chancellor and Thomas "holy triumvirate" a lot more than Maxwell. If Maxwell was still here it wouldn't make a huge difference IMO. All three of them have been a bit off this year. That being said I wouldn't mind seeing less of Williams - but who are you going to replace him with? We don't have any healthy outside corners on our team.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
iigakusei":3nrqrdi0 said:
I miss the old Sherman, Chancellor and Thomas "holy triumvirate" a lot more than Maxwell. If Maxwell was still here it wouldn't make a huge difference IMO. All three of them have been a bit off this year. That being said I wouldn't mind seeing less of Williams - but who are you going to replace him with? We don't have any healthy outside corners on our team.
If lane comes back healthy. They should let him start one game and see how it goes

calinator

Reaction score
Was thinking about this yesterday and I agreed with you up until you mentioned Wagner. Wagner is awesome and very very important to this defense.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
I didn't want to pay the asking price for Max. Way too much money, and really he has not played well in Philly especially early.
What I miss is drafting exceptional DBs later in rounds. I think the skills of finding lower round talent are still there, but the players have not shown up yet. For instance, Simon if healthy fits the profile and would be cheap, but just didn't show up yet.
Really if you think about who we drafted, and the depth we had... It was unreal. We had NFL quality starters as our 3-4 string. I think finding another player on the cheap is what we need. If only it was that easy.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
calinator":1zls7z0h said:
Was thinking about this yesterday and I agreed with you up until you mentioned Wagner. Wagner is awesome and very very important to this defense.
I didnt mean release wagner , i meant give him, cary, and jimmy g smaller contracts and maxwell might have stayed, because he was our 2nd best corner.

Seymour

Reaction score
Nope, not for his cost at least. Would have been nice to see if Simon would have stepped up, but I have serious doubts about him as well.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Maxwell was pretty good in Seattle's scheme but he's a fish out of water in Philly's.

I say let's give Williams some more time.

And when Lane is ready to play, imo he should go back being the nickle CB... not used outside as some have suggested.

Basis4day

Reaction score
marko358":mr2d366k said:
Not sure what the point of this is. He signed a $75 billion contract with Philly that we couldn't match.

This. I believe Davis Hsu did some analysis on a hometown discount and the most you can expect to save is 10% compared to other offers. IIRC, pretty much every .netter felt that the money he was offered by Philly is too much for Him to pass up.
Couple that with Wilson and Wagner not yet having deals and it all makes sense.

I miss Maxwell in our system, but we could not have matched any offers he received. Using Maxwell as an argument against Cary Williams is without merit.

Laloosh

Reaction score
2Cool4School":2ow3e6ns said:
Laloosh":2ow3e6ns said:
Maxwell would get burned now and then. Cary seems like he gets burned every time he is targeted, maxwell created turnovers and so far cary doesnt . Also maxwell actually jumped routes and got deflections. Havent seem cary jump a route all season. Hes worse.

I didn't say that Williams was better. I'm just asking for examples for comparison. We couldn't afford Maxwell either way (your comment about getting Bobby and others to sign for less is kind of funny imo).

mistaowen

Reaction score
There was no chance he was staying in Seattle. He sniffed free agency and knew he was going to get paid. Above average cover corners are pretty uncommon nowadays, especially with his size. JS wouldn't have come close to what he wanted (and ultimately was going to get) as a #2 CB.

I do still think we overpaid for Cary (by a decent amount) but there's no denying his build meshes perfectly with the secondary. He just doesn't play the way we're used to seeing. Awful at jamming at LOS, Kelly Jenningsesq ball skills, and not much effort against the run game.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
From what I am reading, Williams continues to not play Seahawk's technique, and they are not happy with him. When not be surprised to see Lane playing more and possibly starting as I think they will try to send him a message.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Don't really miss Maxwell, but miss winning, and having an effective RCB.

Suspect Williams is running out of chances to get things right and after Lane returns he may be demoted.