Anyone tired of hearing people talk about Mahomes

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm not looking for advice on how to avoid it. I already know how to do that. I would just prefer that the talking heads talked more about football, so that I can enjoy what is on TV when it's on. I'm not going to constantly mute the broadcasr during games, and I don't have control of ESPN when I go to a bar after work to have a beer.
I'm not sure what the talking heads could possibly say to facilitate you enjoying football more. What exactly do you want them to do? Go all Hugh Millen and spend 30 minutes talking about big butts on linemen?

If you haven't read it and want to enjoy watching football more, check out Pat Kirwan's book, "Take Your Eye Off the Ball". It's a really good explanation of the game that teaches you what to look for on the field.

All that being said it's not the analysts job to explain the game to everyone, it's their job to sell commercial time. Sucks but it is what it is, so I see no point in lamenting it. The QBs are the story, the faces, the leaders, etc.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I dont Remember anyone saying it, but clearly Mahomes had product placement in mind. Disneyland’s never used an ad like that the next day.

Imagine watching the SUPER BOWL, the biggest commercial event of the year in the history of the known universe (factual no hyperbole) - and then singling out one dude for his participation in "product placement".

haha. Listen to yourself, man. You're losing respect for him for doing what superbowl mvps have done for decades? After you sat through five hours of being blasted with ads and jingles and logos and a stadium full of company logos and replays brought to you by so and so?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the talking heads could possibly say to facilitate you enjoying football more. What exactly do you want them to do? Go all Hugh Millen and spend 30 minutes talking about big butts on linemen?

If you haven't read it and want to enjoy watching football more, check out Pat Kirwan's book, "Take Your Eye Off the Ball". It's a really good explanation of the game that teaches you what to look for on the field.

All that being said it's not the analysts job to explain the game to everyone, it's their job to sell commercial time. Sucks but it is what it is, so I see no point in lamenting it. The QBs are the story, the faces, the leaders, etc.

Let me get right to the root of the issue so that you aren't assuming what I take issue with. What I don't like is that the people care so much about the QB position just because he has the ball every offensive snap. Because people are like that, the media gives QBs more attention. I don't blame the media. I blame whatever causes people to value the QB position so greatly in the first place. Brain stuff. Evolution. Childhood. Whatever. I don't know what it is, but I don't like it lol.

If years of me bitching about it can reach just one person and change how they value the QB position from a fan perspective, then it will be worth it. I don't "lament" it. If I did, then I'd be fighting the battle a lot harder than just griping about it on a message board.

And really, I'm just the reciprocal end of the people who fawn over qbs. The guy who does the opposite. You could just as easily say that it's pointless to fawn over qbs as it is to bitch about how people fawn over qbs.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Let me get right to the root of the issue so that you aren't assuming what I take issue with. What I don't like is that the people care so much about the QB position just because he has the ball every offensive snap. Because people are like that, the media gives QBs more attention. I don't blame the media. I blame whatever causes people to value the QB position so greatly in the first place. Brain stuff. Evolution. Childhood. Whatever. I don't know what it is, but I don't like it lol.

If years of me bitching about it can reach just one person and change how they value the QB position from a fan perspective, then it will be worth it. I don't "lament" it. If I did, then I'd be fighting the battle a lot harder than just griping about it on a message board.

And really, I'm just the reciprocal end of the people who fawn over qbs. The guy who does the opposite. You could just as easily say that it's pointless to fawn over qbs as it is to bitch about how people fawn over qbs.

it's the most important position on the field by a long shot. Sorry about facts.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
it's the most important position on the field by a long shot. Sorry about facts.

Not saying it isn't. It absolutely is. However, it's not more important than the other 21 starting positions combined, yet QBs get more than half the attention.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And this surprises you? Come on Fender, QB has ALWAYS got the most talk, press, worship etc. of any position.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's never going to change, that's all. I get sick of hearing about Lord Brady and Erin Rodgers. But it's just how the media works.
All time great QB's are going to get talked about, a lot.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If only more people like you had the will to speak up and fight it, maybe the world would be a better place.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It might change if some team starts taking cheap, non-established QBs, spending all that freed up cap money on other important positions (like trenches), and starts winning.

The QB is overvalued, and it is now a self-fulfilling prophecy, as they modify the rules to make him even more valuable.

I get what Fender is saying. The idea of football has changed, and the value of the QB is feeding off of itself. As the position becomes more valuable, the rules change to make it even more valuable, makes the position more valuable...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I get what he's saying too, but this has been going on the decades. Annoying? Sure. But it's not going to change.

NampaHawk

Reaction score
I mean cmon. They are even saying that if he had retired after beating the Eagles, he would be in HOF. The guy only completed 5 seasons. Also they are saying that he is better than the GOAT, and that he will catch up to Brady's 7 SB rings.

I want to see how he does in 2 years when Kelcie turns 35-36 years old. I also would like to see their OC leaving for a HC gig.

I don't know what or how to compare him with other QB's but there were other good QB's that played in the NFL that are in the same level as him.
I wouldn't say I'm ONLY sick of the Mahome's talk - I think he is top 3 in the league right now, maybe even #1, but what I'm sick of is ALL the QB worship in the league, on TV, by the fans, etc., as Carroll said, this is the ultimate team sport, it's more than just about any single person, yet that's what it's made out to be. Mahome's vs. Burrow, Brady vs. Rodgers - like there isn't a bunch of other players out there??? Yeah, I get it, need a face for the franchise, but you can't even hit the face of the franchise without a roughing the passer being called? I used to like Tony Romo calling games, but now every QB is unbelievable in his ball placement, bad receiver just didn't run the right route, perfect back shoulder throw, when the guy had his guy beat and had to wait for the pass...QB worship at it's best....

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not any more annyoing than hearing about the "Kelce Bowl" every 27 seconds for 2 weeks. Meh, just change the channel or throw it on mute. It does work IF you are in control of the tv.

NampaHawk

Reaction score
Get the league back to rough and tumble play, and I wanna see how Mahomes survives with WR being afraid to run over the middle, and a few ear hole shots from running the ball. ...... sliding feet forward to protect the runner...what a joke. Down by contact meant, you were planted into the turf.

It is a league of kitty cats, instead of pit bulls. You can love it, but it barely keeps me interested for the most part.
Is there a way to like this comment 1000 times???? I don't want anyone hurt, but seriously, the QB worship and protections place on the QB's is a joke, what would Marino, Young, or (can't believe I'm saying this) Elway do in a league like this? I think Marino would make Mahome's #'s look like little league.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Is there a way to like this comment 1000 times???? I don't want anyone hurt, but seriously, the QB worship and protections place on the QB's is a joke, what would Marino, Young, or (can't believe I'm saying this) Elway do in a league like this? I think Marino would make Mahome's #'s look like little league.
What would these prior-era QBs do with better QB protections in the rules? Well, they wouldn't be injured all the time. Young might have had fewer concussions and played a couple more seasons. Elway would have missed fewer games, but he was a tough SOB so he played into his late 30s. Not sure the impact for Marino, probably same as Elway.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Maybe I don't follow as much talking heads media, but Mahomes is certainly worth talking about, best QB I've ever seen, and he is the whole package, leadership, class, smarts, humility, game-situation-processing and adjustments, toughness, flair, fun, exciting, team-first, terrific public face of the KC Chiefs, oh yeah, and consistently WINNING on big stages.

Now, compare that to say, Kyler Murray and DeShaun Watson, and the difference is night and day. Yeah, so Mahomes' wife and his brother are a bit lame on social media from time to time, and stuff like that, but that's about it.

However much help Mahomes gets from everyone around him, bottom line is he is *performing* excellently and is fun to watch.

The only current QBs I can think of who are anywhere close to his league across the board, are Jalen Hurts, Josh Allen, and Joe Burrow. (Apologies if I missed QBs others think are at that level) Even so, Mahomes is in a league of his own. Jalen Hurts is the closest overall, and with one fewer mistake his team would have won and he'd be getting gobs more media. If young people are going to idolize any athlete, and seek to emulate them across the board, Mahomes is a damn good choice, and so is Jalen Hurts.

PS, Off-topic: I saw a clip of Josh Allen doing some sort of special pre-game handshake/greeting ritual with a very different one for each offensive teammate, and that was mind blowing.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Were we complaining when Russ was getting lots of national coverage? Of course not. I've resigned myself to the fact that it's just human nature to resent those at the top a bit. Which isn't a bad thing, because it can make you strive that much harder for greatness.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Were we complaining when Russ was getting lots of national coverage? Of course not. I've resigned myself to the fact that it's just human nature to resent those at the top a bit. Which isn't a bad thing, because it can make you strive that much harder for greatness.
This year, Russell was getting a lot of national coverage for negative reasons. I certainly didn't complain about that! Seeing Mr. Unlimited "exposed" for his limitations, and even called a "poser" by national media? That was just juicy satisfaction! That was the stuff Carroll protected him from, and Hackett was clueless about.

Mahomes is just so all-around excellent, centered, and even funny. Love that commercial where Mahomes and Andy Reid are on the airplane, and Coach Reid is Sharpie-marking another sleeping coach's face, confessing to the State Farm dude, and Mahomes walks up the aisle to Reid and says, "Coach! It happened again!" and points to his own sharpie-drawn-on handlebar mustache. That one person could be a well-prepared, cold-blooded assassin on the field, and lovable, funny, centered off the field, along with the leadership qualities Mahomes possesses, THAT is a rare combination.

I live within driving range of Florida NFL stadiums, and thought I should see Tom Brady in person while he's still playing. But Brady was so uninspiring this season, I never got around to it. So next season, my goal will be to see Mahomes in person, and it looks like I get one opportunity, the Chiefs come to Jacksonville, with the amazing bonus of also getting to see Trevor Lawrence. Definitely going to get that ticket!