Apple Cup Thread

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I hate having to resort to highlights to watch the game.

No BBK interception. No Molden almost interception. Is that just trying to save face on Minshew for whatever reasons. Albeit, I only watched the google assisted and fox sports highlights.

And I hate how literally the best highlight of the game probably won’t make any cut... the clock draining 4th quarter drive where UW just ran for first down after first down to put all that snow on ice.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ok I'll say it WSU Couged it !

How can you not game plan for the weather when the forecast was for a chance of snow and at least Rain.

UW has a more rounded team also so when you can't run the High Octane offense much like the Rams then you better have a way to counter on another level.

Would have been a nice story for the Cougs this year if they had won and kept going in a bowl game.

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/1066196458011951104[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/1066222922967089152[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UW_Football/status/1066222454719299584[/tweet]

Dsv9Nk7X4AEIClT

getnasty

Reaction score
WSU can't game plan for that kind of game, what are they gonna do line up and pound the ball? They're built to throw the ball with timing and precision just hard to do that in a blizzard. People calling Leach overrated are crazy when you have a school like WSU in Pullman in the top 25 that's an amazing accomplishment. The caliber of athlete he's getting compared to UW isn't even close.

mrblitz

Reaction score
it seems to me that in the pac-12, usc and ucla get the most talented football players.

when washington is in a successful era, they get a similar caliber; maybe a notch below the two southern cal teams.

oregon were recruiting well there for some time; not sure how they do these days.

sometimes, stanford does a good job recruiting, but they're possibly somewhat handicapped by academic requirements.

really, past usc/ucla, the rest of the conference are basically getting leftovers, and oregon state and wsu are at the bottom of the recruiting barrel.

so yeah, leach is pretty good. that he apparently won't change things up somewhat on offense is mystifying.

anyway, i don't really know about recruiting, but have always considered usc/ucla to have the most talent by default; and wazzu is way down the list.

ymmv

justafan

Reaction score
Browning made some big time throws. A couple mistakes but overall he stepped up.

I know people love the blitz but the 3 man rush won the game and shut wsu down again

Uncle Si

Reaction score
getnasty":1419sy7i said:
WSU can't game plan for that kind of game, what are they gonna do line up and pound the ball? They're built to throw the ball with timing and precision just hard to do that in a blizzard. People calling Leach overrated are crazy when you have a school like WSU in Pullman in the top 25 that's an amazing accomplishment. The caliber of athlete he's getting compared to UW isn't even close.

Leach has done a good job. "Amazing" would've been a Rose bowl or better. His teams are not that far behind the rest of the Pac 12 in talent. Leach gets a lot of credit for his amazing job.

I guess my statement/question is whether he's doing THAT good of a job.

Probably too soon to answer, so soon after the game.

justafan

Reaction score
getnasty":36vlg6dn said:

The snow hurt both sides but the ending would have been the same. Rush 3 play 8 in coverage keep everything in front to eliminate yac. Pound the ball. Its what they do.

Almost every QB says its easier passing in the snow. We have to take their word for it they have done it at a high level. It looked sloppy tho.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
To me the difference was the secondary's ability to tackle. Washington's DBs simply did a better job of tackling in space than Wazzu's. Both QBs were mainly throwing short passes, especially in the second half, but Washington still averaged 19.1 yards per catch while Wazzu averaged only 5.8.

getnasty

Reaction score
Uncle Si":kkvvmg4m said:
getnasty":kkvvmg4m said:

Leach has done a good job. "Amazing" would've been a Rose bowl or better. His teams are not that far behind the rest of the Pac 12 in talent. Leach gets a lot of credit for his amazing job.

WSU was ranked in the top 10 going into the game if that's not amazing then only Nick Saben and Dabo Sweeny are great coaches. WSU had 31 commits last year and only 2 were 4 star guys, UW had 20 commits last year and 10 were 4 star guys. They might not be far behind Utah and ASU but there a big gap with the top of the Pac 12. WSU hasn't won 10 games in 15 years and I don't know if they've ever won 11, I'd say he's done am amazing job.

getnasty

Reaction score
justafan":xjkrbfx8 said:
getnasty":xjkrbfx8 said:

The snow hurt both sides but the ending would have been the same. Rush 3 play 8 in coverage keep everything in front to eliminate yac. Pound the ball. Its what they do.

Almost every QB says its easier passing in the snow. We have to take their word for it they have done it at a high level. It looked sloppy tho.

The snow didn't hurt UW, the bigger more physical team is always gonna have an advantage in snow, I'm not saying that WSU would have won but it was definitely a big advantage.

justafan

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2pms0m25 said:
To me the difference was the secondary's ability to tackle. Washington's DBs simply did a better job of tackling in space than Wazzu's. Both QBs were mainly throwing short passes, especially in the second half, but Washington still averaged 19.1 yards per catch while Wazzu averaged only 5.8.

You are right about the tackling.
Browning made some great throws for long gains before it started getting crappy.. If it wouldnt have started snowing I think he would have lit them up all night.

justafan

Reaction score
getnasty":1obvzxhn said:
justafan":1obvzxhn said:
getnasty":1obvzxhn said:

The snow didn't hurt UW, the bigger more physical team is always gonna have an advantage in snow, I'm not saying that WSU would have won but it was definitely a big advantage.

It hurt both teams in my opinion.Browning made a few plays for huge chunks of yardage before the field got bad.

Chapow

Reaction score
getnasty":12kc5hk1 said:

WSU is located in Pullman. It snows there this time of year. If their offense isn't capable of functioning in the snow, that's a huge failure on the part of the coaching staff.

Pretty sure UW shut down the Cougs offense the last 4 years in a row anyway.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
getnasty":2zoj0f80 said:
Uncle Si":2zoj0f80 said:
getnasty":2zoj0f80 said:

WSU was ranked in the top 10 going into the game if that's not amazing then only Nick Saben and Dabo Sweeny are great coaches. WSU had 31 commits last year and only 2 were 4 star guys, UW had 20 commits last year and 10 were 4 star guys. They might not be far behind Utah and ASU but there a big gap with the top of the Pac 12. WSU hasn't won 10 games in 15 years and I don't know if they've ever won 11, I'd say he's done am amazing job.

why, because he got 10 wins, once again got blown out in the Apple Cup?

They have been at 8 and 9 wins the last 3 years, 10 this year only to lose to UW. They've lost the last two bowl games on top of it.

He won 3, 6 and 3 wins before getting the team to this new found run of form. That's a good job. But he's getting credit, imo, for wins he hasnt got. He's 1-4 in bowl games, and 1-6 in Apple Cups.

I dont know how its amazing. but maybe that's what passes for it at WSU. Which is fine. I was surprised how much credit he was being given from the national media coming into the game.

justafan

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1msa2jot said:
getnasty":1msa2jot said:
Uncle Si":1msa2jot said:
getnasty":1msa2jot said:

They have been at 8 and 9 wins the last 3 years, 10 this year only to lose to UW. They've lost the last two bowl games on top of it.

He won 3, 6 and 3 wins before getting the team to this new found run of form. That's a good job. But he's getting credit, imo, for wins he hasnt got. He's 1-4 in bowl games, and 1-6 in Apple Cups.

I dont know how its amazing. but maybe that's what passes for it at WSU. Which is fine. I was surprised how much credit he was being given from the national media coming into the game.

College football isnt a level playing field and never will be. What is amazing at one school will get you fired in the SEC.

Im impressed by what he has done this year. He is beating teams he has no business beating. What if Nike gave them all those millions or he had the players USC has. Not many coaches could succeed in that situation.

getnasty

Reaction score
Uncle Si":6raq4gha said:
getnasty":6raq4gha said:
Uncle Si":6raq4gha said:
getnasty":6raq4gha said:

Who outside of Saben and Sweeny are amazing then, please I'd love to hear.

D

DomeHawk

getnasty":dsq6v1c1 said:
justafan":dsq6v1c1 said:
getnasty":dsq6v1c1 said:

This isn't arena football and it wouldn't have mattered anyway, Jimmy Lake and Co. have Leach's offense figured out.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
One good, not great, year does not make a coach “amazing.”

Leach has zero conference titles. He has zero Top 10 finishes. He has a losing record in bowl games. His defenses are always bad. He doesn’t understand the run game.

He is barely a “good” coach, much less great or amazing. And he’s a narcissistic douche.