Are the 49ers Better than the Seahawks?

Polk738

Reaction score
Smellyman":3a2efnmo said:
You fake fans better pipe down. You are giving John63 ulcers

lol in his eyes we are all downers and should just not even watch the game, they've already won

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If you love football and you love great defense, you will love watching the 49ers.

Yesterday Goff was repeatedly missing throws, even under pressure Wilson will not miss those.

But the 49ers will be a problem for us and while not impossible, beating them twice is going to be very unlikely. Beating them even once is going to require this team stop making some of the mistakes it is making. That works against the Bengals and Browns, but it won't against the better teams.

We barely beat the Rams at home, the 49ers toyed with them. The score seemed close but the game wasn't.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Both are better than the Rams, and that's good enough for now.

I bet by week 10 there could be some separation in either direction.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The good news is that we historically are best in the latter part of the season, and the fact that we are 5-1 without hitting on all cylinders yet is a very, very good sign.

BRING IT ON!!

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Record and results against similar foes says yes the Niners are better than the Hawks. However, head to head may be something entirely different. I mean we saw it ourselves a couple years back when the Rams would lose to everyone and the Hawks were clearly SB contenders but get their teeth kicked in by the Rams. So here's hoping our Hawks kick some teeth against the Niners. That being said I'm hearing A LOT about the D-Line for the Niners, which makes me think the Hawks Offense will not be very effective against them. However, based off of the highlights for the Niners, JG seems to make some crucial turnovers and the Hawks have been ballhawking lately. So hoping that maybe helps when they meet up.

Regardless the Niners are for real. Whether or not JG is the next Tom Brady doesn't matter, that Team is playing very well.

Rat

Reaction score
I don't know, but it's hard to argue that they aren't playing better than us. Those will be some fun matchups later this year.

LTH

Reaction score
MO Hawk":u6hco6c8 said:
The standings as of today say yes.

They are beating teams that we barely beat by a lot. Huge difference over last year. I'm sure Richard Sherman has the game against Seattle circled on his calendar. The whole NFC West is a lot better this year, so far.

Is SF better than us this year?

I think the average fan would say that the 49ers are better than the Hawks are. in fact if one were to look at their record you can't argue with the fact the Hawks have a loss and they don't.

I dont think it's reasonable to compare the teams they have both played and make the assumption that the 9ers are better because the scored more points or gave up fewer in there wins against the same team because there are to many different factors that affect play.

I do believe that the games against SF will set the tone for the season they are must win games. they will be tough. I also believe that it will be because of Carroll and Shotty that they will put this team in position to win those games and it will be the team that will have to execute the game plan to gain a victory... That is a solid in the Hawks corner.

Im very much looking forward to those games!

LTH

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If were going down the list of who has the advantage at each position, the ONLY two spots where we have the advantage over the Niners that I see are at QB and RB, and maybe WR.

That's it, the Niners have more talent and are playing better at every other position.........especially on the defensive side of the ball. If they don't have the best front seven in the NFL, idk who does.

The good news is QB IS the most important position to hold the advantage over your opponents, as we've seen all year with Russell winning games.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
LTH":24kox597 said:
MO Hawk":24kox597 said:

They are beating teams that we barely beat by a lot. Huge difference over last year. I'm sure Richard Sherman has the game against Seattle circled on his calendar. The whole NFC West is a lot better this year, so far.

I dont think it's reasonable to compare the teams they have both played and make the assumption that the 9ers are better because the scored more points or gave up fewer in there wins against the same team because there are to many different factors that affect play.

Majority of fans do that.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1pf3oo8a said:
LTH":1pf3oo8a said:
MO Hawk":1pf3oo8a said:

Largely because in the absence of head to head and final W-L record, how else are you going to compare teams? Just like playoff seeding it goes by W-L record then head to head then common opponents. Right now all we have is common opponents.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3b30hzon said:
ZagHawk":3b30hzon said:
LTH":3b30hzon said:
MO Hawk":3b30hzon said:

Largely because in the absence of head to head and final W-L record, how else are you going to compare teams? Just like playoff seeding it goes by W-L record then head to head then common opponents. Right now all we have is common opponents.

Exactly, what other measurable or barometer is there when comparing teams other than common opponents, especially two opponents that both of us played the past two games.

I'm not sold on Jimmy G, but the Niners defense is for real. That front seven is nasty as hell.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Their defense is legit, but...

Russell Wilson > Jimmy Garoppolo

The ultimate equalizer.

kf3339

Reaction score
Aros":2dseraz0 said:

The ultimate equalizer.

^This.

Also add that we don't know if they can play a game that is really close heading into the 4th quarter. Some teams can't handle that pressure late in the game against an equal opponent with that experience. We all know that is our forte!

:2thumbs:

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Aros":3q8fvvdj said:

The ultimate equalizer.

I greatly agree russ is better however legit defenses shut down top Qbs and offenses a lot. We know this as well as anyone.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I can’t wait for the head to heads.

Couple things I know.

We won’t outcoach them in game.

Bosa is a beast

They haven’t faced a Russell Wilson yet.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Absolutely yes. SF's Defense is playing amazing football right now. Their run game is mowing teams down.

They basically have the 2012-2014 Seahawks formula going for them.

Seymour

Reaction score
Right now they are playing better and have dominated at times when we are barely squeaking by.

How can anyone say we are the better team right now? I can't. But we also play our best ball late in the year so time will tell how this pans out.

knownone

Reaction score
It's hard to say which team is better at the moment. Things like 'common opponents' only tell a partial story.

For instance, the 49ers played the Rams without Matthews and Gurley. Gurley hasn't looked great this year, but he's absolutely vital to their offense which is an area the Rams struggled in yesterdays game. The key take away from that game (IMO) is how well the Ram's defense contained the 49er's offense despite losing the TOP battle by 18 minutes. The Rams boast the 25th best defense in the league. That's the second best defense the 49ers have played behind Pittsburgh at 13.

Seattle hasn't looked great in the 'common opponents' department, but the circumstances leading into those games were very different. One thing to consider, both Seattle and San Fran have played easy schedules thus far. That trend continues for San Fran, they have the 20th ranked schedule rest of season. Seattle, on the other hand, has the toughest schedule rest of season.

AgentDib

Reaction score
LTH":1k1i7k20 said:
I agree with your core point; wins are not transitive in the NFL. The high parity leads to volatile and unpredictable individual game outcomes. How many people had the Jets beating the Cowboys yesterday?

However, the 49ers are very good based on their film alone. Their defensive line is off the charts ridiculous to the point that it hasn't mattered yet how good the rest of their defense is. I don't respect the manner in which they have built the team off the back of four terrible seasons and the resulting top draft picks, but the result is a wealth of talent because NFL parity is working as intended.