Are we headed towards cap hell?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Tical21":abw4wx3p said:
That is a lot of talent leaving. Being without any LT's or DT's is a scary thought. If Lynch is decent this year, I can't see any circumstance besides personal or behavior reasons where he isn't around in 2016.

I think the Jimmy Graham deal proves this FO will address needs and assure the talent doesn't dip too severely. Not to mention, a franchise QB leaves you in contention for a Super Bowl every season.. just look at the Patriots and Colts/Broncos

I think this worry is all for naught myself.

irocdave

Reaction score
I don't see the Hawks going into cap hell, but our franchise QB hasn't been paid yet. RW's extension will clarify what the hawks cap situation will look like for the next 5 years. I just cant see RW playing this year without hammering out an extension. Wagner, yes, RW no. Considering RW's compensation for performance from the previous contract I can see the extension request trying to recoup inadequate pay for previous performance. Might be wrong but I don't see how that couldn't be the case.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I'd be willing to guess they have some pretty good financial software and/or spreadsheets they use to plan and track all of this. We know they go do multi-year planning as well.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Tical as others have pointed out,it's all in how it is structured a 20 million a year doesn't have to mean 20 million a year cap hit unless the fo is stupid..Thats what the signing bonus is for and restructuring the contract later is for.You have to be creative and it can be confusing-no doubt but they have pros doing their jobs in our FO.

kearly

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2erklfpc said:
Tical as others have pointed out,it's all in how it is structured a 20 million a year doesn't have to mean 20 million a year cap hit unless the fo is stupid..Thats what the signing bonus is for and restructuring the contract later is for.You have to be creative and it can be confusing-no doubt but they have pros doing their jobs in our FO.

Right, a lot of the AYP numbers thrown around are just for stroking a player's ego. Kaepernick for example, his real take home pay is probably more like $18 million a year since he has a lot of money tied up in nearly impossible to reach incentives.

NFL contracts only rarely pay sticker price.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Ranker777":1j2w8eud said:
You seem to not understand how the cap works. Russell isn't getting 20 mil outright in 2015. Actually his cap hit will probably be around 8 mil if he is extended this off season. The Seahawks are fine now, but 2016- 2017 will be interesting to say the least.

This. ^^^^ They will feel the squeeze starting in 2016. That's when you hope all of your drafts and FA aquisitions worked out well.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":12lr4m31 said:
Tical21":12lr4m31 said:
-The Glove-":12lr4m31 said:
JS and PC plan 2-3 years ahead. I have No doubt they have a plan in place and are following through with that.
I get that, and do tend to believe that this is what is happening. I will certainly give them the benefit of the doubt, but the reality is that this is only lip service until we see it play out. We're starting to enter the area where everything is going to get much, much more difficult. They've had money to play with. Now come the really difficult decisions. Is it possible that their 2-3 year plan was to go big for a couple of years? We won't know how successful their strategy is until a few years down the road, when we are either in a pretty similar situation every year, or end up in a situation where we have to purge really good players to get under the cap. Til now, they've been able to throw money at pretty much whatever they want.

We can say they have to build through the draft, but it has been a few years since they've gotten any real production from first and second year players. They've been content to just pay to keep the vets in their places.

I don't like the idea of backloading all of these upcoming contracts. That is how teams like the Saints and Cowboys got into their nightmares. I could be wrong. But I see Russ and Wagner out there and 14 million left in cap space, and a few holes yet to fill, and that math just isn't adding up.
5 years of fiscal prudence should count for some amount of good faith, right?
This is .net Scotte

TheHawkster

Reaction score
We have about $10 million to spend right now.
No center, DTs mending, and Russell.

Looks to me like we have another big move coming.

Latest posts