Are we really a run first team anymore?

pcbball12

Reaction score
kearly":1dwmd8rc said:
pcbball12":1dwmd8rc said:
We must have been watching two separate games. I thought until the 4th quarter, I was shocked at how little they targeted Graham. Almost every time Wilson targeted him it was a completion, there were hardly any forced targets to him. As far as Lockett, he was targeted just a few times and capitalized on each target. The case could be made that they both need to become more involved in the game plan early and throughout the game IMO.

Kearse was the guy Wilson was looking at first most often.

What I mean with regards to Graham and Lockett is that Wilson targeted them on a lot of sub-optimal plays. It felt like Wilson was stretching things to meet a target quota for those guys. Just like how a lot of the targets Percy got were less than optimal, but they wanted to get him lots of touches to see if they could get him going.
I get what you're saying. But, there was really only one time I can recall where the call seemed forced. It was in the red zone on 3rd down and they ran the play action boot with Graham leaking right side. It was obvious from the get go that play was about to be called. Other than that, I can't think of any off the top of my head. He missed him in the red zone once on an over throw (although I think Jimmy gets killed if Russ puts that one on him), but I think that was the correct read there. They also ran a piss pore fade route where Russ threw it almost as soon as the ball was hiked. Wasn't even close, but I think the idea of a fade in red zone when he is isolated outside on a corner is a matchup you want almost every time.

I thought they did a bad job in the first half trying to get Jimmy going. They didn't even really try IMO. Once they did make an effort to get him involved, the offense actually started clicking and moving the ball. I can't think of any forced target to Lockett off the top of my head. I recall one bubble screen that had relative success, and the other two seemed like Russ took what the defense gave him.

gonzhawk

Reaction score
Like it or not, expensive QB and new toys or not, going away from the run more is not the answer. This line of thinking is what gets us in trouble and loses us games. Over our history, with Beastmode, when we don't feed him, we wither and lose games.

Does anyone know what the rush comparison between halves was? I thought as usual, before we got cute, we started opening up his big runs, and we started maintaining our drives.

I'm sorry, but the run sets up the pass for us-it always has. Unless Wilson turns into Drew Brees, and we "completely redesign the offense" which would include getting rid of Tom Cable, we can not go away from this.

Is there a disconnect between the weird dynamic of the almost "Co coordinators" Bevell/Cable?

I want to run the ball down peoples throats, and even the rams were not stopping us enough in my mind to go away from that.

Paschtorian

Reaction score
I have always found it interesting,....that the defensive linemen get to "rotate in-and-out:,...

...while the O-linemen stay "'til the bitter end" on every series.

And the "defenses are getting worn-out"? Really????

I commend every (and all) first-team offensive linemen.

Just sayin'.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
seedhawk":3gq2wvdu said:
You could also consider, no one pays a Qb 80+ to just hand the ball off.
. RW is not Manning Brady Brees Rodgers Marino Montana Elway etc .....
Just hand the ball off to the big guy ok . It seems 80 mil is the going rate for that now a days .
It's Lynch or nothing IMHO .

justafan

Reaction score
Lynch got 18 carries which is pretty typical.7 targets in the passing game.One thing we didnt have was the 8 or 10 carries from the backups now Turbin isnt there.I think that will pick up as the season goes along.

I liked the gameplan they used against the Rams.Short passing attack to try to avoid that pass rush,that was the smart move.I doubt we do that every game.

Im ok with throw first to open up the run with every team going in wanting to stop Lynch,as long as he gets his when the game is on the line

Im ok with throwing 41 times especially with Wilson hitting almost 75% of his throws.It was the mistakes that killed us.

Im ok with 5 yrd passes.Its the same as a run,but you dont have the physical beating you give the team with a 4 yrd run.

In the end I believe our D will dictate how much we have to throw.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Are we still a run first team???? Tomorrow we better be with GB being so crappy at run D...... but then again with our OC, we will probably set the world record for bubble screens and empty sets in one game.