At this point where are the top priorities for the draft?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":3ksjbmgm said:
Maybe I am in the minority, but I am totally fine with a Okung-Bailey-Lewis-Sweezy-Britt starting OL for next season. The team needs to add depth and competition level players at a few spots, but that can be done with mid-to-late round picks. If Seattle drafted an OL at #63, I would consider it to be almost a luxury pick since the difference between that pick and Bailey/Lewis would probably be small.

I think the biggest need is WR, specifically a guy who can convert Wilson's deep throws into huge plays. Wilson is a very good QB, I have no issue calling him elite, but he generates a huge amount of his value from the deep ball, and right now our deep targets suck outside of Kearse and maybe Graham (I don't think we'll see Graham 60 yards downfield all that often). Wilson's YPA and QB rating dropped last season and the biggest reason was the lack of a viable deep threat.

I also feel that this need matches up very well with the talent that will be available in round 2 if Seattle is willing to move up. I normally don't expect much of rookie WRs, but if Seattle got Devin Smith somehow, I think he'd have an immediate impact and generate 5-7 TDs and a very high yards per target in year one. I think of all the players Seattle has a realistic shot at, Smith increases Seattle's point differential the most.

I also think that blocking TE is a big need, bigger than OL even, since we block with TE so often and our current TE group is full of terrible blockers. That's why I am not so happy about being penny-wise, pound foolish with Zach Miller. Of course, Miller is still available and if he remains available after the draft, there is a very good chance he'll be a Seahawk again.

We always need pass rushers, though it seems Seattle has identified free agency as a market inefficiency to supply the kinds of DL they like. Bennett, Avril, Branch, McDaniel, Williams, Hargrove, Brock, Clemons (trade) etc. Seattle has gotten fantastic value in FA at DL and I think they will work that pipeline as long as they can.

We need DB help, but it's such a poor class this year that it might be best to draft some project guys late and hope they turn into Byron Maxwells.

OL is by far our weakest position group; we need to draft well here to improve.

Bailey and Lewis may be "serviceable," but they did not play like high quality starters last season. Bailey is a terrible run blocker who takes plays off and looks sluggish at times. Not a huge downgrade after Carpenter, but not the upgrade we want either. Lewis would be a major downgrade after Unger, which would compound the problem of interior pass pro/run blocking.

Your theory breaks down the most I think when you consider the reality that we need linemen who are capable of moving into the starting rotation and playing at a high level. Okung misses time every year, for example, yet he has no backup with Bailey playing LG.

If there is anything we have learned from this organization's draft strategy, it is that the draft is not just about the immediate season but the foreseeable future as well. Okung, Bailey, Lewis, and Sweezy are all in their contract year (with Baley/Lewis being undrafted RFAs and Okung/Sweezy being unrestricted after this season). That's four of the five starters you name. Drafting offensive linemen (improving our weakest position group and replenishing for the future) is absolutely a priority this year.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":12v5a4hl said:
DL depth is close behind. I know it wont happen, but I'd love to see 2-3 picks used at each of those positions.

I would almost assume it does happen. I haven't heard of much interest in him, but I can see Xavier Cooper being one of the 'pocket of talent' guys in the mix at 63. Seattle did attend WSU's pro day, but it was presumed to see Mayle. Cooper is a player who won't appeal to any team with 2 gap responsibilities. But as a 1 gap penetrator, he's clearly the best of the class and it isn't close by my eye. His explosion off the ball is unteachable and is Bennett-like. He does suffer from technique issues and doesn't hand fight particularly well. But those issues are solid candidates for improvement. If he possessed those attributes, he'd be a day 1 pick. Overall, a very good ball of clay for Seattle to develop into a real impact talent. I would expect, that if WR is out of consideration and it comes down to good OL or good DL -- Seattle will opt for the latter.

Outside of him, there are several intriguing development/day 3 candidates. And they are conspicuously present on our pre draft visit list. I could see one or even two of those guys getting picked up. I do believe Seattle concurs with the desire to really improve the DL depth. Lack of quality depth was a major issue last year even before injuries set in. The snap counts on starters was way higher than optimal. And when guys dropped out -- we were left getting street FAs to fill active roster spots. Additionally, we had to commit big cap dollars just to buffet our DL depth before the season started. I can see Seattle wanting to trim cap space by adding rookie talent to succeed veteran depth talent. Our DL payout is the biggest amongst any position group. Even after the LOB got paid.

I wouldn't say it won't happen (2 DL in the draft). If the right guys are there, I'd say there's a very good chance it does happen.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I don't expect much to change... Probably a WR deep threat early, and like Kearly I could see them to trade up to secure devin smith. They will probably target D in round 4-5 as usual, they have 4 picks I think in that range. Use the later rounds to stock up on O-line depth.

Granted this could change it there is a true talent to take earlier, but at positions OL DT DE I don't see anyone really who they couldn't pass up for someone in the later rounds.

I found it interesting that PC said it would be "very difficult" for a draft pick to beat out Lewis/Bailey. Especially normally how he is all "always compete/we wont know til camp starts". I think he is aware of the talent level in the draft, and with how late our picks start, he fully expects drafted o-line to come in as projects-will need some time.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":dmszjmrd said:
Maybe I am in the minority, but I am totally fine with a Okung-Bailey-Lewis-Sweezy-Britt starting OL for next season. The team needs to add depth and competition level players at a few spots, but that can be done with mid-to-late round picks. If Seattle drafted an OL at #63, I would consider it to be almost a luxury pick since the difference between that pick and Bailey/Lewis would probably be small.

Emphasis added to the quote because I think it's a good point worth noting. Often we get enamored with the "new model" available. But, the coaching staff is investing in guys who have proven to some degree capable of handling an OL position in the NFL. Gotta remember that those guys are not in the league just looking to stagnate until younger players with potential take their jobs. The coaches know what they've got and who can likely get better. The Hawks don't have a pick until #63 overall, so many of the lineman considered to be elite prospects are likely long gone.

Having said that, OL is a group teams always should be looking to upgrade. This is an interesting draft with those 11 picks (comps not tradable) that the Hawks might like a certain player early and even willing to trade up in the 2nd to get their guy. Heck, I could even see them trading a future 1st rounder to get a 2nd rounder that they feel represents 1st round value to them that they could get now and don't have deal with a 1st round contract later. JS even mentioned this sort of thing in the Jimmy Graham trade.

I wouldn't be surprised if they happened to trade up (not into the 1st) for OL, WR or any position other than QB or Kickers. But, teams can still bring in talented competition on the OL mid to late and even as UDFA. There will be players that are not valued in the higher rounds for one reason or another whether it be small school, their team had issues that didn't allow them to show their capabilities, etc.

Anyone else seeing the reports about McNeese St. OT/OG Antoine Everett? (Started every game for 2 years at LT, but projected as a guard.) "Offensive guard Antoine Everett (6-foot-3, 323 pounds) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 and 4.65 seconds. Everett is a free-agent possibility for a team following the conclusion of the 2015 NFL Draft." http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... es-pro-day
Everett really stood out in the McNeese Pro Day. It's reported that he has visited the Detroit Lions and also invited to visit other teams like the Bucs, Jets, and Colts.
Also see: http://mcneesesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3167 & http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/134 ... ne-everett
With the attention he's getting and those 40 times, he likely gets drafted.

Another lineman who could represent value in later rounds is Chaz Green. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552666 "Athletic, heady player with potential position versatility. His foot quickness and movement skill will appeal to zone-scheme teams... Could end up transitioning into a full-time center role."

kearly

Reaction score
titan3131":2ait4gab said:
Agreed On the Oline kearly. I am comfortable with them as the starters, but I would love some diamonds in the rough for depth / competition and we need a plan for okungs injury that might happen... Knock on wood.

WR I am not as high on Devin as you but I do trust your judgement. I personally prefer Perriman, dorsett before smith but who know none of them might last till we trade up or sit @ 63.

Thanks for classy response.

Perriman is very good. I'm a fan myself. He's arguably one of the best playmaking WRs in the entire draft when going over the middle. I just think that Perriman is not quite as adept on the red line throws as Tyler Lockette and Devin Smith. And I think our WR group is pretty solid other than the redline area. I like Perriman, and wouldn't complain if we got him, but I think he would be a bit of a luxury pick rather than filling Seattle's specific need in the passing game for an ace redline guy.

In terms of talent though, I can understand the desire for Perriman. Very talented. I see a lot of similarities between Perriman and Golden Tate.

kearly

Reaction score
netskier":q9ttsczu said:
Doesn't the time to severely pressure Wilson determine how deep a receiver can get for a pass? Last year we had both Richardson and Lockette who both could run faster than most defensive backs, yet we almost never sent them deep. I think that getting blockers who can maximize Wilson's time to pass, and zone block, is our greatest need. Too bad they are so rare.

Back in the Tim Ruskell days, I would rail against our FO for trying to fix the OL on the cheap. These days, I'm a champion of the idea, since Tom Cable seems to get the best results out of the JR Sweezy's and Breno Giacomini's of the NFL.

I get your point completely, but I think high sack rates are really just a fact of life when you want to lead the league in rushing and you have a QB who leads the league in holding the football. And on play action plays, which most of our deep throws come off of, the Seahawks time until pressure is league average.

Lockette is basically a sixth WR that was forced into duty by injuries and the Harvin debacle. Richardson was actually sent deep a ton in training camp, preseason, and early in the regular season. But by mid-year, it became apparent that Richardson's strengths were in his ability to run great routes and get open quickly in the short area (he struggled tracking the ball on redline throws, and was very badly injured on a deep ball red line throw). Additionally, Seattle had challenged Russell to get more active in the quick passing game, so it was all the more reason to have Richardson run short routes.

When Richardson recovers from his injury, his bread and butter is going to be on short passes. He's very talented in that area, and Seattle could use that kind of weapon to compliment the other aspects of their offense.

kearly

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1kpq5934 said:
Overall, I'm inclined to agree that Seattle isn't going OL early. I would be surprised if we take 4 OL. Three would be a mild surprise. I'd expect two with a UFA. Let our current 6 through 9 compete with 2 rooks and another vet.

I think Seattle has a nice little system going where they add 2-3 late round/UDFA DBs a year and and 2-3 late round/UDFA OL a year and see if they stick. I think their batting average at OL is just good enough to justify it. Bailey and Sweezy have been bargains, and though they didn't draft him, Patrick Lewis is looking like a good find as well.

I think this will continue almost every year, though Seattle will consider OL early for very specific prospects that they rate highly.

Bailey has some areas to improve on (mostly his weight and discipline), but at times he has looked very good. Lewis impressed the hell out of me and looked better than Unger last year in terms of overall blocking ability (a healthy Unger is better, of course). Lewis obviously will need to learn the line calls, but I feel just fine with giving him a chance, assuming he has a solid backup. You could do better at #63 or #95 than either of those guys, but probably not a lot better.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":227phgtb said:
kearly":227phgtb said:

Been saying this for awhile. Although there are two instances where I see it's elevated beyond mere luxury.

1. Planned successor for Okung. I don't know that this is even in the mix. Although if the track record is any indication, the injury history should mean he's not here next year. Hurt (and paid) players get replaced here. Long history of that. If Seattle is looking to replace Okung -- which I believe they will -- then getting an OT who can play LT day 1 of 2016 has to be on the docket.

I don't see many prospects there early to fit that bill. Although Ogbuehi may be that guy. Length wise, he's absolutely superb. I would say that if we do take Cedric, that tips the FO's hand.
t.

Ogbuehi is the most intriguing player/wildcard in the draft IMO. The raw tools are there, so much so he was #1 overall in many mocks last calendar year. But he struggled at LT and was moved to RT this year, has the ACL concern, and TA&M OT's have disappointed with their high selections recently. Cedric has creeped into the 1st round in many recent mocks but could also last til the 3rd.

Chawker

Reaction score
Our DT's are aging, and in 2014 when Bobby & Cam were hurt early in the season we struggled mightly....? on defense. I know that Russ needs time to throw the ball, but first we need to get the opposing teams offence off the field. There is a balance to this game Pete & John know this, I'd like to see them draft a "mike" LBer before the end of round 5. SPEED REQUIRED!

massari

Reaction score
I can't be the only one to want the BPA. It seems like they aren't in desperate need at any given position so why would you draft a less impactful/talented player with less upside?

BPA is the way to go.

Largent80

Reaction score
We lost 2 OL, so simply by attrition, and also play...I have to agree OL.

Secondly?....Secondary, then WR.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Minus 2 starters on an already sketchy and inexperianced oline and not agressive at all in free agency to replace them. Our FO needs to pull at least two very large rabbits out of the draft hat if we are going to field a functional offense next season.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Its definately going to be an interesting draft... I can see the Hawks taking any one of the following positions for their second round pick WR, OL, RB... I think it just depends on who falls....It will also be interesting to see if the Hawks trade their pick... move up? move down? At this point they have tools to trade up... will they pull the trigger? I guess it just depends on who falls...

LTH