Audibles. How much leeway is Wilson given ?

John63

Reaction score
Amazes me some will take any chance, even making stuff up to rank on our players

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":f3ed0u4o said:
peachesenregalia":f3ed0u4o said:
McGruff":f3ed0u4o said:
Is it possible for a player to be an excellent overall player because of advanced skills in key areas without having to be ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!!!!! In every area?
I'm not going to form an opinon until we get Anthony!'s take on it.
Funniest response on this board in a while, I'll give you that.

Ask and you shall receive. :lol:

AgentDib

Reaction score
Some posters may remember there was a bit of stir about the Hawks calling a timeout last year while Russ was making last second adjustments. That led to knee jerk fan reaction at the time that the coaching staff didn't like him making adjustments, but the much more obvious explanation was that Russ was momentarily upset about needing to burn a timeout due to the play clock.

Regardless, that led to Pete talking about Russ's freedom to change the play and he went on a little tour of all the local media to repeat his message that Russ has a lot of freedom at the line of scrimmage these days. I've noticed it some but not that much and I think he usually has the option to change the play but decides not to.

My view is that reading coverage hasn't been Russ's strength so far but that it comes with time. He could have another decade in the league and I've only noticed him particularly being confused by 3-4 defenses, such as the loss to the Cardinals in 2015 following his bye week vacation. He was off balance all game but still played well enough that it came down to the wire. OTOH we finally beat the Cardinals both times last season when they switched to the 4-3 but that's a very small sample size.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
John63":fdhhdqut said:
vin.couve12":fdhhdqut said:
The play called, the 1 run audible, and 1 pass audible per play came in last year with schottenheimer. He was starting to call line protections a few years ago and it was really really Rocky. Not sure if he's still doing that or if they cut that out. It was the center's job previous to that and that may have gone back to Britt.

That would be interesting since PC said that in 2015.
We had a whole long winded thread about this last year about this new wrinkle after finally getting a new OC. It was stated last year unless you can show it. Unless you're talking about the line calls. That was probaby 2016, I think. We also started passing 60% of the time that year and it continued into 2017 and it was tough to watch. There was some correlation and painful growth of line protection calls while also going pass heavy...causing sort of a compound problem.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":6oa1fikl said:
vin.couve12":6oa1fikl said:
peachesenregalia":6oa1fikl said:
McGruff":6oa1fikl said:
Is it possible for a player to be an excellent overall player because of advanced skills in key areas without having to be ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!!!!! In every area?
I'm not going to form an opinon until we get Anthony!'s take on it.
Funniest response on this board in a while, I'll give you that.
Thank you. I always loved you best, you know.
That dude is a freak. Hasn't been around. Proly locked up for stalking and stealing jockstraps.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
vin.couve12":254554c8 said:
John63":254554c8 said:
vin.couve12":254554c8 said:
The play called, the 1 run audible, and 1 pass audible per play came in last year with schottenheimer. He was starting to call line protections a few years ago and it was really really Rocky. Not sure if he's still doing that or if they cut that out. It was the center's job previous to that and that may have gone back to Britt.

That would be interesting since PC said that in 2015.
We had a whole long winded thread about this last year about this new wrinkle after finally getting a new OC. It was stated last year unless you can show it. Unless you're talking about the line calls. That was probaby 2016, I think. We also started passing 60% of the time that year and it continued into 2017 and it was tough to watch. There was some correlation and painful growth of line protection calls while also going pass heavy...causing sort of a compound problem.

One trick pony OL. IMO

McGruff

Reaction score
John63":3hrjl90k said:
McGruff":3hrjl90k said:
Part of the issue is that i think reading defenses is the weakest part of Russ' game. Especially when it comes to zone.

That's funny as most experts say the opposite. Any evidence of this?

"Most experts"?

Like, who? Name names . . .

As far evidence, I grew up learning about football during a time when you didnt need a calculator and a spreadsheet to know what was going on.

Most of the stats I see bandied about as "proof" these days are esoteric gobbledygook bent backwards and turned upside down and inside out to confirm a predetermined bias.

When all you really need is a little bit of knowledge and your own two eyes.

My criticism of Wilson has nothing to do with his decision making AFTER the ball is snapped. He is among the best ever at what happens in the chaos that ensues after "hike!"

But he struggles at times to make presnap reads, especially against zone defenses and recognizing blitzes.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
John63":3at0ukac said:
Amazes me some will take any chance, even making stuff up to rank on our players

Lighten up ...we're short on topics this time of year...thnx for participating . :0190l:

McGruff

Reaction score
xray":1p5h0mgm said:
John63":1p5h0mgm said:

Lighten up ...we're short on topics this time of year...thnx for participating . :0190l:

Not to mention virtually every criticism of Russ in this thread has been bracketed by the acknowledgment that he is a fantastic quarterback!

John63

Reaction score
McGruff":1psmklw7 said:
John63":1psmklw7 said:
McGruff":1psmklw7 said:
Part of the issue is that i think reading defenses is the weakest part of Russ' game. Especially when it comes to zone.

"Most experts"?

As far evidence, I grew up learning about football during a time when you didnt need a calculator and a spreadsheet to know what was going on.

Most of the stats I see bandied about as "proof" these days are esoteric gobbledygook bent backwards and turned upside down and inside out to confirm a predetermined bias.

My criticism of Wilson has nothing to do with his decision making AFTER the ball is snapped. He is among the best ever at what happens in the chaos that ensues after "hike!"

But he struggles at times to make presnap reads, especially against zone defenses and recognizing blitzes.

I am glad you grew up learning about football, I did too, I also played Qb. As to expert lets start with Holmgren, Huard, Collingsworth I can go on. You said he struggles again a zone, and yet he was the highest rated against the zone i 2018 https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/08/russell-wilson-picked-apart-zone-defenses-in-2018/ FYI he is top 5 career against the zone

So again proof ?

John63

Reaction score
:0190l:
xray":2bmu0hvj said:
John63":2bmu0hvj said:

True it has been a boring off season.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
AgentDib said:
Some posters may remember there was a bit of stir about the Hawks calling a timeout last year while Russ was making last second adjustments. That led to knee jerk fan reaction at the time that the coaching staff didn't like him making adjustments, but the much more obvious explanation was that Russ was momentarily upset about needing to burn a timeout due to the play clock.

Regardless, that led to Pete talking about Russ's freedom to change the play and he went on a little tour of all the local media to repeat his message that Russ has a lot of freedom at the line of scrimmage these days. I've noticed it some but not that much and I think he usually has the option to change the play but decides not to.

My view is that reading coverage hasn't been Russ's strength so far but that it comes with time. He could have another decade in the league and I've only noticed him particularly being confused by 3-4 defenses, such as the loss to the Cardinals in 2015 following his bye week vacation. He was off balance all game but still played well enough that it came down to the wire. OTOH we finally beat the Cardinals both times last season when they switched to the 4-3 but that's a very small sample size.[

Hey...Wilson will be unleashed this season . We all want it . IMO

John63

Reaction score
McGruff":3vgtuogc said:
xray":3vgtuogc said:
John63":3vgtuogc said:

Not to mention virtually every criticism of Russ in this thread has been bracketed by the acknowledgment that he is a fantastic quarterback!

Look I have no problem criticizing him or any player but at least let it be legit backed by facts. I mean there are things I think he needs to improve on, but then again I think e very player can be better including the supposed GOAt Brady. However to just make stuff up such as he cant read defenses he plays bad against a zone, yet he led the lelague in Qb rating against a zone just last year and has been top 5 for several years.

SE174

Reaction score
Not that I'm any where close to competent in X's and O's, but I wonder if Wilson has a hard time reading pressure because he's focused on the secondary, and just believes he can make a play no matter what the defense give him. From this breakdown, seems like he just bides his time until he finds a favorable matchup based on how his WRs react to the coverage. Suffice to say, with his athletic ability, he relies on audibles after the snap rather than before it.

[youtube]OjrHuG2LfXg[/youtube]

Smellyman

Reaction score
Reading defenses is so hard. NFL is so hard. Only message board posters with doctorates in in Rocket Surgery can understand the immense complexity of NFL defenses.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
John63":ckkl1vft said:
McGruff":ckkl1vft said:
John63":ckkl1vft said:
McGruff":ckkl1vft said:

"Most experts"?

I am glad you grew up learning about football, I did too, I also played Qb. As to expert lets start with Holmgren, Huard, Collingsworth I can go on. You said he struggles again a zone, and yet he was the highest rated against the zone i 2018 https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/08/russell-wilson-picked-apart-zone-defenses-in-2018/ FYI he is top 5 career against the zone

So again proof ?

Yikes! Please Hammer, don't hurt 'em!

Scorpion05

Reaction score
If you are all going to make your arguments, try to actually support it with substance. You’re making up BS that is categorically false.

Russ barely improvised in 2018. There’s been several examples of film breakdowns last year where Russ and Tyler read the defense and adjusted appropriately.

I am honestly sick and tired of these passive aggressive innuendos claiming Russ doesn’t have the brain, or is incapable of reading defenses. And is somehow improvising constantly when he’s barely done that recently. That is a stereotype, and some of you really need to do better. Because no defensive coordinator or legit expert in the league is going to claim Russ can’t read defenses. He doesn’t make any more mistakes than the elite QBs and there’s film to prove it.

When you spread BS like this it’s not just a debate at this point. You’re bringing your personal bias as part of the debate. There have been numerous evidence posted on here in recent months showing all the mistakes Brady makes, all the mistake Luck makes. And all the great reads Russ makes. Some of you are seriously projecting in your comments

McGruff

Reaction score
Because people here have said "he doesnt have a brain" or "cant read defenses."

Oh wait, they havent.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":1lawu9ae said:
McGruff":1lawu9ae said:
John63":1lawu9ae said:
McGruff":1lawu9ae said:

"Most experts"?

So again proof ?

Lots of people have played QB, lots didn't make it to the pros because the couldn't read defenses, throw the ball, or were too short , or had fundamental issues, Since your not playing what category do you fall into ?

Latest posts