Avril signs 4yr Extension!!

cdallan

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":nd0qtonu said:
Aren't both Joeckel and Kalil playing like carp this season as well?
I thought Kalil was playing ok? I have no idea about Joeckel though. And I thought Carpenter was playing pretty well for that matter.

Sorry, I have a very prudish autocorrect. I meant "crap".

I'm not prudish myself by the way. Just putting that out there.

endzorn

Reaction score
One interesting thing about these 4 year deals is that the players are signed through what would appear to be the prime career years are more likely to play out the length of the deal. That means were more likely to get compensatory picks when aging vets play out their deal and sign somewhere else. With backloaded 5 and 6 year deals the players are more likely to be cut and the team gets no compensation.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
cdallan":1dg2vlox said:
MizzouHawkGal":1dg2vlox said:
I thought Kalil was playing ok? I have no idea about Joeckel though. And I thought Carpenter was playing pretty well for that matter.

No problem. Just from what I hear the Raiders seem pretty happy with Kalil. I could be thinking of a different player though because it's generally the defense that they see some hope in.

cdallan

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":hd5wfx1q said:
cdallan":hd5wfx1q said:
MizzouHawkGal":hd5wfx1q said:

No problem. Just from what I hear the Raiders seem pretty happy with Kalil. I could be thinking of a different player though because it's generally the defense that they see some hope in.

I think the Raiders are ambivalent about Matt Kalil.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
endzorn":23hr5sdq said:
One interesting thing about these 4 year deals is that the players are signed through what would appear to be the prime career years are more likely to play out the length of the deal. That means were more likely to get compensatory picks when aging vets play out their deal and sign somewhere else. With backloaded 5 and 6 year deals the players are more likely to be cut and the team gets no compensation.

I like this line of thought. :th2thumbs:

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Okung's cap hit next year is fine. He's ranked No. 11 among OTs in cap hit. His base salary is $4.8 million. If he were playing like a Top 10 OT, meaning not having the false start penalties and not getting hurt as much, he might be due for a holdout. At his current salary, he will have to play out the year and then test the waters in free agency.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2usw7xar said:
cdallan":2usw7xar said:
MizzouHawkGal":2usw7xar said:

Matt Kalil plays for the Vikings, and he's suffered through some injuries and seen a major drop off in his play. He is not playing on the same level as Okung this year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3dxughoo said:
Then I was thinking of an entirely different player. Sorry about that.

he has a brother that plays for the Panthers. maybe him?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Blitzer88":39j3e3w6 said:
Sweet, congrats Cliff!

Way too positive, we need look at some of the glass half full scenarios with this signing.

WHAT IF!?

:p

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":d6rigrlo said:
SomersetHawk":d6rigrlo said:
Uncle Si":d6rigrlo said:
MizzouHawkGal":d6rigrlo said:
Then I was thinking of an entirely different player. Sorry about that.

he has a brother that plays for the Panthers. maybe him?

Khalil Mack is my guess. He plays for the Raiders, phonetics are there.
Correct.

Ha, this made me laugh.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1tgew6dh said:
I figure that this can be done ONLY because preliminary talks have been done with Russell Wilson. :0190l:
I disagree. I think Carp can be brought back cheap on a 1 or 2 year deal under 5mil per year. Where Maxwell could find himself a much bigger deal on the market. I wouldn't give Max more than $3m per with they way we can plug in Cb's. Let him walk sing a big contract somewhere else and we can get the comp pick later. We will still have Simon, Lane and Burley for 2 more years.
Hawk_Nation":1tgew6dh said:
jlwaters1":1tgew6dh said:
Brahn":1tgew6dh said:
Boom

Maxwell, and Carp last ones if we want them before Wagner and Wilson

I doubt either of those guys get resigned.

Looks like your the only one riding on the Doubt Train. :lol:

Carp will be gone, but I think Max will stay here..

Jville

Reaction score
The Cliff Avril signing is terrific news. These performance based extensions instill a lot of confidence in the future and surely act as a magnet for free agents looking for a one year prove it opportunity.

The good new just keeps rolling in.

These are the best of times. :th2thumbs:

HansGruber

Reaction score
RunTheBall":2nv0f5eh said:
.net GMs (pehawk and others) on the KJ Wright thread were all gloom and doom saying Avril was gone and possibly Wagner too as a result of the KJ contract

.... the next day Avril gets an extension

You can't make this sh-- up.

You clearly do not realize the true expertise of random internet fans and armchair coaches/GM's. But yeah, it is pretty hilarious considering I was slammed for mentioning that not one of these internet geniuses knew anything at all when it comes to NFL scouting, management and coaching. Got a pretty big chuckle when I heard the news about Avril this morning.

It's interesting how they're giving players big guarantees. Really smart approach. You lockup the guys you know will play hard and practice hard, don't worry about the dead cap money if you have to release them and free up cap room by doing so. It's significant that Avril will be making approx $7m/yr average, with $4m being bonus money. So actual cap hit is less than half of the contract value. Sure, Seattle takes the risk that he must play out the contract, but giving those contracts to guys who've played well and practiced well really seems to make sense. Also says a lot about what the coaches are seeing from these guys behind the scenes.

I bagged on the "forum experts" for dogging on KJ because they don't have the first clue what happens behind the scenes. Not one of us gets access to the practices, training and meeting rooms. That the Seahawks were willing to offer KJ and Avril so much guaranteed money really speaks to what THEY were seeing.

And that's supremely awesome news for Seahawks fans. Dynasty in the making...

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Brahn":byr1acbs said:
Boom

Maxwell, and Carp last ones if we want them before Wagner and Wilson

I get the feeling Maxwell will be a casualty.

Latest posts