Backup QB competition predictions

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
kearly":2qczq3u0 said:
My guess is that barring something unforseen, Seattle will keep Tjack as the #2 QB this year. Daniels and Price will probably be released, and the better of the two will be offered a practice squad position. While I don't expect a position change for Pryor, it is possible the Seahawks might trade him for a conditional bag of Doritos in 2015 to a team that likes Pryor as a WR/TE/RB prospect. Seattle is jammed at all three of those areas which is why I think JS was sincere about not wanting to convert Pryor.

That's the expected course of action.

I guess the interesting question becomes, what if one of those young QBs lights up the preseason? BJ Daniels only had 21 pass attempts last preseason, but posted a 128 passer rating in that sample. Keith Price is a very natural fit for our offense and it's not hard to see him posting good preseason numbers. Terrell Pryor has big games every now and then and fits our offense better than Oakland's.

Anyway, my guess is that Tjack will have another strong preseason, Daniels and Price both play well, Pryor has an ugly game early in the preseason and never really gets another chance, and that Price narrowly edges out Daniels for the PS spot. I'm not anticipating a 3 QB roster right now, at least not if Tjack continues to improve in our offense.

I completely agree . We are only keeping two QBs . I actually find it rather amusing that some suggest we keep 3. Our team is too talented to waste roster spots. Pryor is Garbaaaage .

I think T-Jack offers more to our team and RW as a back up then the rest of the competition.

Also if T-Jack were released he would be picked up by another team .. if Daniels / Price were released they would still be available via call later in the season IF ( god forbid!!) we needed them .

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
Ok I will just say it.
What if Prior beats out Wilson for the starting job.....always compete and all that crap..
but here is what I think happens
1- Wilson
2- Tjack-Prior-Daniels (Whoever is best)
3- Daniels / Price to practice squad..

I don't think they will convert prior,, but I got a feeling he makes the team in some way

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Could Zulli have a legitimate chance at the PS? Pete has mentioned him a few times in his pressers.

[youtube]Lzv-fndx7EE[/youtube]

[youtube]pBzNdDzY_QM[/youtube]

In 2012, Zulli led Shippensburg to an overall record of eleven wins and two losses (11–2) and to the second round of the playoffs.[1] During the season, he led all divisions of college football for the 2012 season with his 54 touchdown passes and 4,747 passing yards.[2] He also tied the NCAA Division II record for touchdown passes in a single season and established new records for both total points scored (344) and total touchdowns (57).[1][2] In recognition of his season, Zulli was awarded the 2012 Harlon Hill Trophy as the top player in NCAA Division II football.[1][2] As he won the award as a junior, Zulli became only the seventh underclassman to win the award and the first since Danny Woodhead in 2006.[1]

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":36ybc4lg said:
Could Zulli have a legitimate chance at the PS? Pete has mentioned him a few times in his pressers.

I was thinking the same, nothing would surprise me and even though I'd feel sorry for Price it'd be pretty cool.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
rainger":1ewa5qf6 said:
seedhawk":1ewa5qf6 said:
I somehow get this weird feeling that TJ is done. We spent a 7 on Pryor who is a freak athlete, perhaps hoping some of Wilson rubs off. Can see the scenario where TJ is sent on his way, Pryor becomes #2 and Price and BJ fight for #3 or the practice squad. (would fit our younger bigger faster stronger mantra)
T jacks contract this is year is fully guaranteed. No way they dump his contract this year. He is number 2 all others are fighting to remain with the club.

Jackson's contract is only for something like $1.3 mil. That's not enough of a hit to guarantee him a place on the team. Especially if a younger QB steps up. Remember Jackson is the oldest by far of any of the QBs. He is 31. If he turns out to be better than all the other backup candidates OK but his contract is a none factor.

pnwhawk25

Reaction score
My predictions are as follows:
Jackson remains the back up for this season with the intent of developing Price.
Pryor changes positions during camp.
Price and Daniels will battle for the practice squad position.

pmedic920

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":3fh3qtam said:
Ok I will just say it.
What if Prior beats out Wilson for the starting job.....always compete and all that crap..
but here is what I think happens
1- Wilson
2- Tjack-Prior-Daniels (Whoever is best)
3- Daniels / Price to practice squad..

I don't think they will convert prior,, but I got a feeling he makes the team in some way

Anything is possible.
"Likely" that's a whole different story.

Uthawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":21om768p said:
UK_Seahawk":21om768p said:

I was thinking the same, nothing would surprise me and even though I'd feel sorry for Price it'd be pretty cool.

Zulli was mentioned by Carroll yesterday right after he talked about guys finding places elsewhere and giving recommendations to other teams. He played well but doesn't have the experience that's needed with the systems in place so I think he's gone

Hawknballs

Reaction score
1. Wilson
2. Pryor

PS - Price

Just a feeling. We didn't trade a draft pick for Pryor to just let him walk away, so for as long as they are saying he will be a QB I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Personally I love Tjack as a backup. But they didn't give up a pick for Pryor for no reason. I think Tjack gets released or possibly traded for a conditional pick. I know I've mentioned this before and the sentiment has been, "well if any other team wanted him they could have had him" but situations change as training camp plays itself out.

I don't really know anything about BJ Daniels but I know enough about Kieth Price to know he's the kind of guy you want on your team.

olyfan63

Reaction score
If nothing else, Zulli's video looks intriguing, for his ability to read where to go with the ball, and then putting it where his receivers can make a play. He also seems to make a lot of nice plays while throwing on the move, reminiscent of another quarterback I've seen in Seahawks camp. It looks like there was one opponent (team) that had his (team's) number two years in a row, which is interesting. Because of his lack of great measurables, the draft sites dismiss him as a "camp body". Dave Krieg 2.0? Kurt Warner 2.0? Colt McCoy 2.0? I guess we'll let Pete sort that out.

Daniels would very possibly get picked up by another team--49ers, if nobody else. I really haven't seen enough of him to have any idea where he fits.

I did like most of what I saw of Price as a Husky. Price seems unlikely to get active roster attention from other teams, so practice squad and auditioning for 2015 seems like where it's at for him.

TJack is a known quantity; we know he can win (or at least not lose) games in the NFL; the undertalented 2011 team that went 7-9 is all the data we need.

Does anyone know if Pryor can play special teams worth a darn? We've seen how highly Pete values special teams contributors. No idea how Pryor would feel about that, but certainly he has the athleticism and size for special teams.
I would love to see Pryor stick, IF he can buy in to the Seahawks way of doing things. This is a man who's been humbled, so now he may be motivated to really go to work.

I'd have to think Pryor, if cut, would get picked up by another team; otherwise PC/JS wouldn't have spent a draft pick to buy him from the Raiders. The 49ers would love to have him as a backup for CK, I'm sure. Pryor seems like the only one with a real shot to unseat TJack for #2, but people who've followed Pryor seem to have had their hearts broken and to be really, really down on Pryor. I don't understand this intensity of hatred. Can anyone share more data about why so many people feel this way? Was it the huge mismatch between Pryor as high draft pick, and actual performance? Or personal conduct factors?

AgentDib

Reaction score
TJack will absolutely be cut if he is beaten out; remember that we signed him before acquiring either Pryor or Price. His $1.3m was spent for two reasons; first as insurance going into the draft that we did not need to come away with a NFL ready backup QB and second as a veteran guy who they knew was good in the locker room and would compete in the right way against those young players in training camp.

I do think it will be very difficult for any of the three youngsters to beat TJack out given how much familiarity he now has with Bevell's scheme. He can be prepared with a tiny fraction of the snaps that the others need and at the end of the day I think that will help him win out over superior athleticism.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":79d9uug4 said:
1: Wilson
2: TJack
3: Pryor
PS: Daniels
Arena Leaugue: Price.

Even though you're a Ducks fan and I think this is what largely fuels this.. I agree completely.

I think they keep Jack and Pryor around, unless Pryor shows absolutely nothing. Have a hard time seeing them cutting Tarvaris, simply because hes a better QB than the 3 guys behind him (combined) .. and if god forbid anything happened to Russ.. I think Tarvaris is way more likely to keep that ship afloat than Pryor/Daniels/Price.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawknballs":34n0nd0g said:
I don't really know anything about BJ Daniels but I know enough about Keith Price to know he's the kind of guy you want on your team.

Based on what?

Again.. if Keith Price played for some random Mountain West Conference team.. would you say the same thing? Highly doubtful.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't agree that there is any sense of homerism here regarding Price. To me, it seems a lot of UW fans are actually harder on him than objective observers (Ducks fans obviously excluded).

Also, your analogy to a QB who played for random Moutain West team doesn't work IMO. Being named a 3-year starter for a solid Pac-12 team rather than some random Moutain West team is a quality in itself. A better comparable would be a QB who flashed good play in the Pac-12. Last year, several people were high on Matt Scott as a late round QB prospect. Keith Price had a much more productive college career than Matt Scott, so why wouldn't we similarly be interested in his potential?

What I know about Price is that he outplayed RGIII in RGIII's final college game and that he looked like a better QB prospect than Jake Locker during his sophomore season. He struggled a bit behind a horrendous offensive line the following year, but put up very good numbers as a Senior QB, even though his coach put him in a completely different offense. I have doubts about his durability at the pro level, and his decision-making in crucial situations leaves something to be desired. However, if he can bulk up some and is receptive to coaching, I don't see why he couldn't be a valuable NFL back-up one day (and perhaps more). His character and intangibles have never been in question.

That's not to say I would place a bet for him to make the team or even make the practice squad. But as far as UDFA prospects, Seattle could've done a lot worse IMO.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
Pryor really isn't a good QB . some of you suggest he might get switched to a different position but nobody has clarified what position that would be .
WR? we have plenty .
TE ? he can't block and probably doesn't want too.
CB? LOL
RB? we have plenty
Special Teams ?!? LOL

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":7roe7x5e said:
Hawknballs":7roe7x5e said:
I don't really know anything about BJ Daniels but I know enough about Keith Price to know he's the kind of guy you want on your team.

Based on what?

Again.. if Keith Price played for some random Mountain West Conference team.. would you say the same thing? Highly doubtful.

Based on watching him as a teammate for years at UW. Highly doubtful, what an astute observation. You're right, I wouldn't know much about him if he didn't play in my own back yard for the college squad I follow, I'm not sure how that invalidates the point that in his time at UW he exemplified being a good teammate.

Yes, based on following a player's career - it's okay to assume you know at least a little bit about them and why they'd be a good fit.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
v1rotv2":3deibmue said:
rainger":3deibmue said:
seedhawk":3deibmue said:
I somehow get this weird feeling that TJ is done. We spent a 7 on Pryor who is a freak athlete, perhaps hoping some of Wilson rubs off. Can see the scenario where TJ is sent on his way, Pryor becomes #2 and Price and BJ fight for #3 or the practice squad. (would fit our younger bigger faster stronger mantra)
T jacks contract this is year is fully guaranteed. No way they dump his contract this year. He is number 2 all others are fighting to remain with the club.

Jackson's contract is only for something like $1.3 mil. That's not enough of a hit to guarantee him a place on the team. Especially if a younger QB steps up. Remember Jackson is the oldest by far of any of the QBs. He is 31. If he turns out to be better than all the other backup candidates OK but his contract is a none factor.

I agree with V1 and Tech/Dom. The contract is a non factor. We signed Flynn and T.O. They both left. Contract shmontract. Compete or leave.